Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's a hella nice find for $50!

AFAIK you're about right on the original price, but even today you'd expect to pay like $300, so you really got a deal there. Dunno about the motor in the tape deck, maybe it's just a belt or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Frobbe posted:

Spent 8 bucks at the local recycling yard today

Took home this Technics SL-D2 with Ortofon Concorde STD cartridge on it.

I've never had a direct drive turntable before, so now i get to have fun figuring out how exactly to adjust the pitch. Everything else on it seems to be in nice condition. The hinges for the cover has broken, but i gather that's pretty normal on these things.

Is it fluctuating? Spritz the pitch control pot with some deoxit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And hit the platter spindle bearing with a few drops of oil, since it's probably never been lubricated ever. ISO 68 compressor oil is technically the correct type, and identical to the original Technics-supplied oil. Motor oil that starts with 20W should be fine, too. Single-grade detergent-free SAE20 is probably best, but the important bit is that you get it lubricated so the bearing isn't completely dry.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Frobbe posted:

Spent 8 bucks at the local recycling yard today

Took home this Technics SL-D2 with Ortofon Concorde STD cartridge on it.

I've never had a direct drive turntable before, so now i get to have fun figuring out how exactly to adjust the pitch. Everything else on it seems to be in nice condition. The hinges for the cover has broken, but i gather that's pretty normal on these things.

Do you have your turntable stacked up on a pile of junk?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

BigFactory posted:

Do you have your turntable stacked up on a pile of junk?

That's not very nice of you to call my stereo stack that...

Anyway I'll have to go through it and deoxit stuff, the right channel seems to be off :-(

Kozmo, I've got some bearing oil for rc cars, that'll probably do the job

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Frobbe posted:

That's not very nice of you to call my stereo stack that...

Anyway I'll have to go through it and deoxit stuff, the right channel seems to be off :-(

It looks like it's on a rickety tower of trash!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Frobbe posted:

Yeah, that's probably fine. If it's anything like an SL-1200, you can lift off the platter itself, and then pull up on the spindle to see if there's any oil on there at all.

If the bearing oil is roughly the same viscosity, it'll work fine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

BigFactory posted:

It looks like it's on a rickety tower of trash!
It's on top of another turntable, hth.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's on top of another turntable, hth.

:colbert:

I think the rca cable might be defective in some way on the right channel, as it cuts out unless I lay it down just so. Please tell me it's easy to change the cable, possible even replace it with a set of plugs instead of that drat dangly wire

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Frobbe posted:

I think the rca cable might be defective in some way on the right channel, as it cuts out unless I lay it down just so. Please tell me it's easy to change the cable, possible even replace it with a set of plugs instead of that drat dangly wire

How well do you solder?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

BigFactory posted:

How well do you solder?

Nicely, at least i've learned that useful skill :) i just wanted to gauge the difficulty before i start cracking it open. Other than that, it runs like a dream! if i can figure out where in the cable it's gone bad i can possibly just apply a zip tie to keep tension on the broken bit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not that hard, I've replaced the cables on all three of the turntables I've owned.

The Technics SL-1500 was the worst, since the RCA cable leads are soldered directly to the same pads as the super-thin tonearm wires, so it was a bit of an annoyance to keep both of them on the pad while soldering.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Frobbe posted:

Nicely, at least i've learned that useful skill :) i just wanted to gauge the difficulty before i start cracking it open. Other than that, it runs like a dream! if i can figure out where in the cable it's gone bad i can possibly just apply a zip tie to keep tension on the broken bit.

It's a pretty quick job if you have the parts. Don't know that exact turntable though. I'd suggest looking for a guide first. Worth a look.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because the signal from a turntable cartridge is so low, this is actually an application where you need to pay a little bit of attention to the cable you use. The target is to have as low capacitance (and impedance) as possible.

Luckily, component video cables (RGB, not composite) are both inexpensive and have very low capacitance.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Another $40 scored me Redline 60.2 speakers with cables, and a MCL 2 P second room amplifier.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Very nice!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
All this gear for less than half of what I was going to spend on a worn out record player. I think I made out OK this weekend.

One of the connectors for Speaker 1 on the receiver will not accept the plug, so the speakers are hooked up to Speaker 2, but I can't see it mattering too much.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Meanwhile, i've put this up for sale locally to make more space

Mostly posting them here in case Kozmonaut wants to hit it. They're a tremendous piece of kit!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've got way too much gear already that I never ever use :homebrew:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

KozmoNaut posted:

I've got way too much gear already that I never ever use :homebrew:

Welp, either way i've put it up on all the facebook sales groups ever (in my local area) so here's hoping someone will bite. i'm hoping to spend the money on getting a decent subwoofer for my setup.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
What do the sensor binding posts do?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

TomR posted:

What do the sensor binding posts do?

From what i understand, it uses them for remote sensing of some sort in order to give you better music. it's called Kenwood Sigma Drive

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I've seen this for £25 in a local charity shop, does anyone have anything similar i like the look of it but am worried it wont sound any good.

http://imgur.com/H4Vo47Q

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I've seen this for £25 in a local charity shop, does anyone have anything similar i like the look of it but am worried it wont sound any good.

http://imgur.com/H4Vo47Q

Why don't you ask if you can turn it on and listen to it?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Don't do that. Old radios like that are full of tubes and capacitors that have gone bad. I restored an old AM/shortwave radio and it was pretty easy to do the internal stuff. Just get a diagram of the caps and order new ones to solder in place. It sounds hard but it's really not. That said it's an AM radio, so it will sound about as good as an AM radio would.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I think i will give it a miss, I was drawn in by the cool vintage look

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -