Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's a bit of a confusing shot because it's not really in sync with the rest of the movie. IIRC the lighting doesn't really lead to that scene at all, and it doesn't really reference it afterwards.

Now in (for example) Man of Steel, the world always looks like this:

So the corresponding reference seems more organic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Instead of seeming like a montage it seems like part of a sizzle reel.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

wyoming posted:

If it really is when they attack Maz' temple, I'm guessing it was from a scrapped shot on Jakku they reused because it looked too good to waste.

That's exactly the case; Maz's planet doesn't have any moons.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Wait, what's the shot we're talking about? It's broken for me in the original post, so I was opening it in a new tab. It may have taken me to the wrong one. I don't see any moons in the Apocalypse Now shot.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Wait, what's the shot we're talking about? It's broken for me in the original post, so I was opening it in a new tab. It may have taken me to the wrong one. I don't see any moons in the Apocalypse Now shot.

The star is getting partially covered from two sides, at least implying there are two or more moons.

Hat Thoughts posted:

drat, ur right my dude, the fact that ppl can't agree which planet the picture from the movie's on is totally evidence in favor of the movie's visual storytelling skill. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

:lol:

wyoming posted:

Some people can't handle any criticism against films they like.

Irony.

Cnut the Great posted:

They obviously also used sand, yes. There was a lot of that lying around, too.

But the city's technological infrastructure is visibly not made of sand. It's made of scavenged starship materials. The movie actually shows this process occurring right up to the present moment:

I'm not a fan of the special effects changes in the special editions, so I was legitimately unfamiliar with this shot. I'll concede the point.

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 6, 2016

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

I'm oddly fascinated by that little spherical pod with the big portholes by the freighter. It looks out of place the way tourists do.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm not a fan of the special effects changes in the special editions, so I was legitimately unfamiliar with this shot. I'll concede the point.

In this shot a little robot flies up to a bigger robot going BEEDABOO~BEEDABEE~BEEDABOO in an irritating way and the bigger robot smashes it to the ground. Truly a worthwhile addition.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Friendly Factory posted:

The star is getting partially covered from two sides, at least implying there are two or more moons.

The top one's definitely a cloud, you can see it extending off to the left. I think the bottom one is part of the landscape.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MrSmokes posted:

There's nothing wrong with actual good criticism.

Good: "Starkiller Base wasn't used very well. It's introduced halfway through, is treated almost as a joke, and then destroyed before shifting back to the Skywalker plot just before the end"

Bad: "I can't remember exactly where they put a two-second shot, therefore this movie is poorly edited"

Or that horseshit a few pages ago about the opening shot being confusing.

It's perfectly valid to critique the cinematography of a film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The top one's definitely a cloud, you can see it extending off to the left. I think the bottom one is part of the landscape.

The image is of two, simultaneous, partial solar eclipses, as in this real-world example.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Yeah, I see what you think it is. It just isn't that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Yeah, I see what you think it is. It just isn't that.

The artists didn't accidentally put together an SFX shot with massive semispherical clouds that look like moons until you inspect the borders of the frame.

The point is that it's a sci-fi landscape - a riff on Episode 4's binary sunset.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
You're right, they didn't do that.

The top ones is flat before it leaves the sun, and the bottom one is clearly landscape.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You're getting the eclipse and the landscape mixed up with the horizontal clouds that are obscuring everything.

The shot is hazy and distorted by design, while the basic image of three spheres is identifiable at a glance.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hot take: the poster is good, and the only people confused are the people choosing to be confused.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Nobody is confused by the poster. The guy that made the poster, however, was confused by the opening shot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cargohills posted:

Nobody is confused by the poster. The guy that made the poster, however, was confused by the opening shot.

Has anyone been in touch with him to confirm this?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve2911 posted:

Death of the illustrator. :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

Yes, by reading the poster he made & published.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

We'll that big "planet" obviously isn't Jakku. So yes, he either misunderstood or didn't try very hard to make a Jakku like texture (which would be out of place considering all the other work he did). As an aside the little "moon" is our actual, existing-in-the-sky Moon, which I'm pretty sure isn't TFA.

I was also confused by the logistics of the opening shot, after seeing it twice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The audience is looking up from Jakku at the moon and a large ship flies overhead.

I don't get what's so confusing.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Complain to the artist, then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Steve2911 posted:

The alternative is that the artist was perfectly aware that the transports did not go to the moon, but portrayed them doing so anyways because what actually happened in the movie did not match their vision of what they felt should have happened (or at least, what they felt would look good on a poster). If that were the case, it'd be sort of a fan reedit.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 6, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schwarzwald posted:

The alternative is that the artist was perfectly aware that the transports did not go to the moon, but portrayed them doing so anyways because what actually happened in the movie did not match their vision of what they felt should have happened--sort of like a fan reedit.

Or thought 'this would look cool in a poster'.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

The alternative is that the artist was perfectly aware that the transports did not go to the moon, but portrayed them doing so anyways because what actually happened in the movie did not match their vision of what they felt should have happened--sort of like a fan reedit.

Or he took some artistic license to make it look closer to the other three posters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I need to start previewing my replies rather than editing my posts after the fact. This thread moves to fast for me to get away with that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
All the other posters show things flying towards the viewer. The TFA poster is the only one that shows things flying away.

But we're getting away from the point here: the opening shot reads as an establishing shot of a location. The basic image is of a planet being enveloped by a dark cloud. But then the small ships fly away from it towards the actual (offscreen) setting, so you end up with conflicting information.

If a regular movie opens with a shot of the moon, we know that the action is probably not set on the moon because of context. But the people watching Star Wars Episode 7 have no way of readily identifying what they're seeing. "Oh, those are Jakku's moons. The action must be taking place on Jakku at night." Nobody thinks this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If a regular movie opens with a shot of the moon, we know that the action is probably not set on the moon because of context. But the people watching Star Wars Episode 7 have no way of readily identifying what they're seeing. "Oh, those are Jakku's moons. The action must be taking place on Jakku at night." Nobody thinks this.

Thankfully, the movie shows the transports descending followed immediately by one of our characters watching them come down to Jakku through the sky at night, in what I'd call perfectly cromulent visual storytelling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can honestly say I was never confused about what was happening on screen at Star Wars: Episode Seven: The Force Awakens.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Saying The Force Awakens is confusing is the new trilogy's equivalent of "I hated how CG everything looked!"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Somebody (the poster artist) has been demonstrably confused. Please don't be dense.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

RBA Starblade posted:

I can honestly say I was never confused about what was happening on screen at Star Wars: Episode Seven: The Force Awakens.

Phylodox posted:

Saying The Force Awakens is confusing is the new trilogy's equivalent of "I hated how CG everything looked!"

Right? The movie might have it's flaws, but until this discussion flared up I never heard "I couldn't follow the film" being one of them.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You still haven't heard that complaint because nobody here is saying that.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

cargohills posted:

Somebody (the poster artist) has been demonstrably confused. Please don't be dense.

Or, again, he just thought it looked cool

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dr. Memory posted:

I'm oddly fascinated by that little spherical pod with the big portholes by the freighter. It looks out of place the way tourists do.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/9000_Z001_landspeeder

That may be a CG version but there was a practical one parked somewhere near the cantina in the original version of IV. When the teaser for TFA came out some speculated that BB8's head was modeled after it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface posted:

Thankfully, the movie shows the transports descending followed immediately by one of our characters watching them come down to Jakku through the sky at night, in what I'd call perfectly cromulent visual storytelling.

I agree that the shot is understandable afterwards, but that's just the thing: it's only understandable afterwards. The movie has to explain itself. Why not just make it clear what's happening to begin with?

Granted, there can be good reasons for having it happen that way. For example, a film that had misperception or confusion as a theme could use such a sequence to make a point. TFA doesn't do that, however. It's uncertain just for the sake of being uncertain.

Savidudeosoo posted:

Right? The movie might have it's flaws, but until this discussion flared up I never heard "I couldn't follow the film" being one of them.

No one has actually said that.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're getting the eclipse and the landscape mixed up with the horizontal

The shot is hazy and distorted by design, while the basic image of three spheres is identifiable at a glance.

It's hazy, but the basic shapes are clear, and they aren't spheres.

The lower landscape doesn't look like Jakku, either.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

The issue is that the audience doesn't know what Jakku is, at this point in the story. Since the opening shot immediately reads as an establishing shot, many naturally assume that the following shot with BB8 takes place on that white moon.

The only way to avoid this confusion is to not only pay attention to which way the ships are going, but pay more attention to their direction of travel than on what is conveyed by the rest of the shot.

The simplest way to avoid this issue would be for the camera to follow the transports down towards the surface of the third sphere. That's what they did in Empire Strikes Back:

These are the first four shots of the film, and each one conveys a new piece of information.

Shot 1: A large 'aircraft carrier' type of ship is traveling through space.
Shot 2: We cut to the underside, from which a bunch of pods emerge, and fly in random directions. The camera follows one of them. The aircraft carrier continues flying 'up', away from the pod.
Shot 3: A reverse angle. Pod is now flying into empty space. The aircraft carrier is no longer visible.
Shot 4: The exact same angle, but the pod is now over a planet. This cut instantly conveys the passage of time. The pod hasn't changed direction, but is now in an entirely different location.
Shot 5 [not shown here]: The exact same angle, with the pod now entering the atmosphere.

It's only on the sixth shot that we actually see the pod land, from roughly the perspective of a person standing on the planet.

Abrams essentially mixes the information from shots 1, 2 and 4, then cuts pretty much directly to shot 6. And the 'shot 4' component is narratively irrelevant - gratuitous/distracting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If it helps, I've used mspaint to re-edit Empire Strikes Back to look more like Force Awakens.

• Locked thread