Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

gently caress you.

Srsly tho, would love that upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Inzombiac posted:

Incorrect but thanks for insulting my intelligence.
It ultimately came down to me running the cost vs. service against my current plan. Plus the potential damage caused to a rental house owned by a grumpy old man.

I called Comcast, let them know that I now have options to switch and they gave me a good deal.

Why did the tech have to come to your house for you to compare the costs?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Why did the tech have to come to your house for you to compare the costs?

Tech probably got to his house and was like "Um, we're going to have to add $500 in labor charges for all your wall fishes, crawlspaces and other crap".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gothmog1065 posted:

Tech probably got to his house and was like "Um, we're going to have to add $500 in labor charges for all your wall fishes, crawlspaces and other crap".

Not that he added the charges but the potential money I would have to spend if he damaged the house. I have insurance but my landlord is a prickly pear about it. It would have been a lot more drilling and whatnot than the salesman had let on.
It's hard to describe but my house is very oddly shaped with few walls that go directly to the exterior.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Inzombiac posted:

Not that he added the charges but the potential money I would have to spend if he damaged the house. I have insurance but my landlord is a prickly pear about it. It would have been a lot more drilling and whatnot than the salesman had let on.
It's hard to describe but my house is very oddly shaped with few walls that go directly to the exterior.

This is all information that you left out.

Anyway, it may or may not be worth it, but such damages would be on the installer or the ISP, but you'd have to fight to get them to cover it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I didn't think I would have to defend my position in the first place. I was just following up on my first post to say that I didn't go with that company.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

No I'm sorry this is total crap. The guy didn't want to do the job and talked up a bunch of FUD to get you to back off. Damaged the house? Holy moly he ran every scare scenario by you.

Indeed, what if he burned it down during the installation? Think of the hassle. Is an install really worth that?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rakthar posted:

No I'm sorry this is total crap. The guy didn't want to do the job and talked up a bunch of FUD to get you to back off. Damaged the house? Holy moly he ran every scare scenario by you.

Indeed, what if he burned it down during the installation? Think of the hassle. Is an install really worth that?

You seem hell-bent on convincing me that I got duped. The tech was very friendly and ran through every possibility to get it installed at it was me that brought up concerns about damage. I could detail every minute of the experience but that would be boring.

Again, this is not at all why I came to this thread so I'm going to back out now so you guys can move on.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hey I'm moving in to a new apartment tomorrow, is this the thread to ask for advice on ISPs? I was stuck on lovely AT&T fake fiber or whatever at my last place because housemates, and am now totally out of the loop. I'm hoping to be able to stream myself playing an FPS without it looking like poo poo, and also to pay less than $100 for internet (I have no interest in phone or TV). How much is fiber still limited to certain neighborhoods, and what's the price like? Seems from the recent posts in here that hitting sub-$100 isn't hard with fiber any more I guess?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

surc posted:

Hey I'm moving in to a new apartment tomorrow, is this the thread to ask for advice on ISPs? I was stuck on lovely AT&T fake fiber or whatever at my last place because housemates, and am now totally out of the loop. I'm hoping to be able to stream myself playing an FPS without it looking like poo poo, and also to pay less than $100 for internet (I have no interest in phone or TV). How much is fiber still limited to certain neighborhoods, and what's the price like? Seems from the recent posts in here that hitting sub-$100 isn't hard with fiber any more I guess?

You're lucky if you have more than 1 or 2 choices for broadband internet. Find out what you can get at your location.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

surc posted:

What city or town are you in? That's what really matters. In tons of them these days the midrange cable internet options are 75-150 megabits down and 10-15 megabit up, which is more than enough for streaming by far.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

You guys are completely correct, doing some more research via tiny-phone-internet yesterday It looks like my options are centurylink and comcast. I was hoping centurylink was a better option, but based on the reviews I've read from people in the area (portland OR), they're as bad, if not worse, than comcast. :/

Comcast looks like they have several in the 75-150 down range, with all of them being about 12.5 up. May just end up going that route.

There are some very highly reviewed fiber places in the area, but none of them will go to my building :(

surc fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 14, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bit of an odd question, but have any of you ever encountered an ISP that flat out refuses to add a reverse DNS (ptr) record for a static IP you have through them? Are there any good reasons for one to do so?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It is down to incompetence, I doubt there are ISPs who care enough to block RR records to limit SMTP hosting as it is already dumb to be self hosting.

The manners of incompetence are many, from not knowing how to actually implement the records to having really badly implemented DNS that cannot be updated conveniently.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I'm going to be calling Time Warner tomorrow as a new customer to set up 200/20. I want to record the call as per state law http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations because I hear TWC are notoriously sneaky with overcharging. What are some questions I should ask so I have their answers on record? I'm thinking specifically about speed dips, throttling, price increases, or unexpected charges. What has your ISP burned you on in the past?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Time warner couldn't have been easier or more above the board on my 200/20 package.

One cost, all taxes and fees baked in. 54.99 or whatever.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

DarkSun6890 posted:

I'm going to be calling Time Warner tomorrow as a new customer to set up 200/20. I want to record the call as per state law http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations because I hear TWC are notoriously sneaky with overcharging. What are some questions I should ask so I have their answers on record? I'm thinking specifically about speed dips, throttling, price increases, or unexpected charges. What has your ISP burned you on in the past?

Depending on the area, TWC's actually not bad with being sneaky with fees, unless there is an agent who is sneaking poo poo in to try to boost numbers. The most you'll get hit with is the modem rental fee and the standard taxes for just internet. It depends on the area and the agent you happen to get that day.

sellouts posted:

Time warner couldn't have been easier or more above the board on my 200/20 package.

One cost, all taxes and fees baked in. 54.99 or whatever.

You didn't happen to get the full pricing did you? TWC is flipping the switch in our area soon and I might upgrade.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

huh? that's the price they gave me and i brought my own modem so I could use my own router and wifi ap

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Pricing doesn't change with MAXX markets. Extreme just goes from 30/5 to 200/20 for example, no billing change. Make sure if you buy your own modem it has 16 downstream channels if you want more than 100 mbit down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I was running into my internet cap. The ISP charges me $10 for 50GB if I go over. I look up the rates, and I can upgrade to the next tier of internet (100 Mbit) for an extra $10/month, and it comes with an extra 100GB of cap space. I have now doubled my internet, and all it took was pressing a button and having the modem reboot automatically.

The future is cool.

Oh and speed test results because that's a thing:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

Pricing doesn't change with MAXX markets. Extreme just goes from 30/5 to 200/20 for example, no billing change. Make sure if you buy your own modem it has 16 downstream channels if you want more than 100 mbit down.

they'll rent you a modem that is capable of the new speeds, i just wanted a real router and WAP and not have to rely on their hardware being able to be set to "bridge mode"

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

When are they flipping the switch in GSO? I also thought extreme was just going to 50x5 and they split ultimate up into like 3 tiers?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I Like Jell-O posted:

Comcast doesn't throttle. If your speeds are dropping every night, it probably means there is a problem with the website you're connecting to

or it means the neighborhood's uplink is grossly overprovisioned? I've had the exact same issue with cable internet from two different providers in two different neighborhoods. Prime Netflix time was basically unusable.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

AlternateAccount posted:

or it means the neighborhood's uplink is grossly overprovisioned? I've had the exact same issue with cable internet from two different providers in two different neighborhoods. Prime Netflix time was basically unusable.

That's the node capacity issue I referred to, and as I said it's typically not much of a problem. If Comcast is offering 250 Mbps speeds, chances are they are using at least 20 DOCSIS channels for downstream. Each channel has ~38 Mbps capacity, so that's over 750 Mbps total capacity on the node. A node has maybe 400 (this might be a high estimate) customers, and if the node is split it might only be 200, or even 100 customers sharing that bandwidth. That's more than enough in most situations. Problems are far more likely to be somewhere else. If it was a capacity issue, you should still have a tech come out to get things rolling and check out the signal.

My point is, if you're having problems, get a tech to come out and fix it. It might be something easy to fix. Don't just deal with it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just got TWC 100/10 with phone. I had a Verizon 3/1 DSL connection that's been 2/1 since November and only got worse as time went on.

I kind of feel like I upgraded to 2 bedroom condo from living in a van by the river.

We had to take TWC's modem though since the one I got off my friend is internet only. I'm not trying to pay no 8 bucks a month for a modem and they allowed 3rd party modems. Does anybody have a TWC modem with phone jacks? Any recommendations?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

skooma512 posted:

We had to take TWC's modem though since the one I got off my friend is internet only. I'm not trying to pay no 8 bucks a month for a modem and they allowed 3rd party modems. Does anybody have a TWC modem with phone jacks? Any recommendations?
Call in, get to a Tier 3 agent, and tell them you want phone on the TWC modem and internet on your own modem. They will fix the coding for you and add the modem to your account. You can't use a customer owned MTA with Time Warner Cable phone, and you also don't pay a lease fee for a TWC modem if it is only used for phone.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Sub Rosa posted:

Call in, get to a Tier 3 agent, and tell them you want phone on the TWC modem and internet on your own modem. They will fix the coding for you and add the modem to your account. You can't use a customer owned MTA with Time Warner Cable phone, and you also don't pay a lease fee for a TWC modem if it is only used for phone.

This is exactly what I did. Works perfectly.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Google Fiber is coming. :awesome: And I'm wondering if I should switch.

My biggest concern is reliability. Comcast has been rock solid save for one day each month around 2am when service goes down and stays down for a good hour and a half until the magical Internet elves get their poo poo together. Meanwhile, I've been hearing about how flaky Google Fiber can be.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Flaky? As a Google Fiber customer, I've had it go out a total of once over the couple years I've had it, and it was a major outage that lasted only a couple hours. The speed has been amazingly consistent.

The only people insisting otherwise are the Time Warner and AT&T guys who keep going around the neighborhood trying to get people to switch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a way to get internet providers to bill at 95 percentile like a hosting provider would?

It seems like they all want to bill for max speed. With our local fiber company there's 10mb, 20mb, 40mb, 60mb. We might only average 10mb all day but we'd like the ability to burst to 60mb without paying triple the amount each month.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yes a lot of major ISPs can do that. You usually have a commitment rate of say 100mbps and pay excess fees if your 95th falls above it. They provide tools and stuff to monitor it as well if you want to do some fuckery on your side to not eat a gigantic bill one month.

Edit: Of note, above is for commercial connections. I don't know residential providers that do that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Home internet still sucks, but can't complain about the connection at the new job:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'd like to swtich to Fios but I've always put it off because I don't want to pay the $200 to buy a router (and I sure as gently caress ain't renting one). This one's available for dirt cheap, does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ver...rds=fios+router

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thauros posted:

I'd like to swtich to Fios but I've always put it off because I don't want to pay the $200 to buy a router (and I sure as gently caress ain't renting one). This one's available for dirt cheap, does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ver...rds=fios+router

Thats what I did.

Bought that exact one for the install; then immediately replaced it with my own router (only works if you're not using their TV service from what I understand, but since I'm internet only it's been totally fine)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Not full duplex gigabit, but going from this:

to this:

is pretty loving awesome!

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

So I just realized today that most advertised speeds are bits, when I thought they were bytes... which means I've been fooled eight-fold for all this time. :eyepop:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://fast.com

SpeedTest site by and specifically for NetFlix

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Finally, decent replacement for the toast.net speed test!

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers
We just got an upgrade from 100mbit to gigabit at work:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Verizon's trying to tell me that I can't get 100 and 150 sync even though they were options the last time I negotiated a new 2yr contract. When I plugged in my neighbor's address *across the street* it says 100 & 150-ready, so when the tech I talked to gave me poo poo about how my only options were the more-expensive 75/75 plan and the obscenely-expensive 300/300 plan, he didn't have a retort to that.

Evidently the new 100 and 150 grades require RJ-45, and my place is wired with 20+ year old coax with an outdated ONT. But I've got 27 days and counting to pester them. I'm currently paying them ~$230/month, and their 100 and 150 plans are significantly cheaper, all things considered.

• Locked thread