Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Frogmanv2 posted:

That sucks man. Hope you are OK.

never trust the lumenproletariat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Solemn Sloth posted:

never trust the lumenproletariat

if it starts affecting you dont allow anything to stop you from getting help DONT make the same mistake i made and go all stoic man and ignore it then watch yourself become more and more unstable.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Solemn Sloth posted:

I am declaring my intention to become a voluntarily unemployed parasite due to the trifling issue of being held up at machete and cleaver point at my job 90 minutes ago. Huff a fart catman

did you consider the fact that maybe if the people who did that were in an even more desperate position things would've gone better maybe i don't know i've never left my house

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

LibertyCat posted:

No. Spending other people's money is not contributing. This is eating food others have grown/packed/transported/served, paying rent on a house that other people have bought&maintained, and using utilities that others have worked hard to repair in thunderstorms, all without doing anything positive to contribute back.

Others have said this before but this is fundamentally false. Spending money stimulates the economy. Poor people spend a larger percentage of their money. Giving poor people money so they can spend it contributes to society and the health of the economy.

Turns out you can be compassionate to those less fortunate and help the economy at the same time, you don't need to trade one for the other! Isn't the world great? :)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Seagull posted:

did you consider the fact that maybe if the people who did that were in an even more desperate position things would've gone better maybe i don't know i've never left my house

I think you'll find the best way of reducing crime is stomping repeatedly on the poor source: i dunno common sense

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I'm pretty sure someone in hear said it best.

Don't think of welfare as a handout to those who don't deserve it. Think of it as a bribe to stop the many many poor people out there from uprising and killing the rich and taking what they own by force.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

No. Spending other people's money is not contributing. This is eating food others have grown/packed/transported/served, paying rent on a house that other people have bought&maintained, and using utilities that others have worked hard to repair in thunderstorms, all without doing anything positive to contribute back.
This is a complete an utter nonsense. It isn't spending other peoples money. It is given to the unemployed person to spend as they see fit. Why is it only the money that poor people have that is considered other peoples? Why not the money of those who work the stock market and make millions on electronic trades? Why not the money of people who buy a niche medication and fill out the paperwork to ensure they get market exclusivity for a period, then jack up the prices to hundreds of dollars per pill?

If it is just government spending that is the issue (Because tax is theft I guess? That's a fairly standard libertarian line) then no one who gets money from the government gets it legitimately, and they all don't contribute either.

Either way, your argument here is ideological, and has no grounding in either economics or reality. Simply saying it is someone else's money doesn't make it so, and there is a considerable body of evidence on the subject saying that unemployment benefits are sound economic policy.

quote:

This is why I have not said to cut people off completely - just spend enough to keep them alive, nothing more. If you will seriously commit a crime because you can't afford to see DeadPool, you deserve jail.

I would much rather these resources be spent on, say, legitimate refugees, because in the long-term you would get productive people out of it. They also need to eat/pay rent/pay utilities etc.
We are at, or even past that point already for a lot of people. Furthermore, this policy is a recipe for mental and physical illness, which in turn means that these people will have to receive treatment under our government funded healthcare system. Mental instability and the despair that comes about from the situation you describe will also result in violence and entrenched multi-generational poverty. Frankly, it would be more humane to simply shoot us.

quote:

Which is why I want to simplify it to a time-based system. Short-term unemployed? No problems, here's your money, see you next week. Long-term unemployed? Here's your bag of rice, see you next week..
A diet of rice is a good way to die of malnutrition. Furthermore, treating people like prisoners or criminals simply because they cannot find work in an economy that requires a low, but still non-trivial amount of unemployment is ridiculous. Businesses require an unemployed labour pool sizable enough to provide a downward pressure on wages, and it is in their own best interests to ensure that as many people remain unemployed as possible beyond their own requirements.

The consequences of increasing automation, and the fact people who are working are waiting longer to retire also work to negatively impact the size of the job pool. The large free trade agreements signed with other countries also tend to make a big ding in industries. Furthermore, a lot of jobs have been moved offshore (A lot of call centre work, for example).

Another lovely thing about the job market is that if you have a hole in your employment history, for instance you have been unemployed for 18 months, well... a company will assume you are lazy, or out of practice and hire someone else. The larger the gap in your employment history, the harder it is to get another job. Furthermore, few employers are willing to spend money on employee training, so they preferentially go for people already in or recently out of work because they are up to date on best practices.

quote:

Tax avoidance isn't illegal. I would like to see huge multinationals paying their own fair share though. Perhaps a place to start is not making money spent fighting the ATO an expense for tax reasons.
Being unemployed is not illegal either, but you are advocating torturous conditions for poors, while you are letting the wealthy and companies walk away without a care in the world.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

ok fuckface,
first: how is it that buying 200million dollar planes to drop hundreds of 80k bombs halfway across the world never questioned but feeding the poor in our nation is seen as an unforgivable sin

second: the current newstart is not survivable, due to a fuckup on the dhs side i was not granted disability (fortunately since rectified) and actually ended up with serious health issues from long term malnutrition because i could not afford an even remotely balanced diet, my skin was yellow and i would bruise from sitting on unpadded chair or when i would see my parents (who could thankfully afford to throw a few tins of food my way) and the dog jumped up to see me it would bruise my legs. The only saving grace is that i got really good at shoplifting. so how dare you suggest that its cushy.

third: lets look at what happens when my parents get their tax return vs me and my dole money
parents: savings or towards the already overheated housing market
me:vegetables and rice from the local market.
i dont have a fancy econ degree but i understand economics enough to see which one is better for the economy

fourth: even disability payment is not enough, for example i cant afford the only medication that works for me so i buy weed instead. (80 buckos a month instead of 280~). any issue i have with my car it takes me a few months to recover and god help me if something else springs up in the mean time.

fifth: money put into the hands of the underclass is usually spent immediately due to various psychological reasons.

six: the idea that people on newstart for long periods of time are somehow lazy or like being on newstart is straight up bullshit and echoes the dogwhistle terms used in the united states (welfare queen)

seven: PEOPLE DESERVE SOME LEVEL OF DIGNITY YOU loving oval office.

E: im sure you arent an awful person in real life but try a fun experiment: put everything but the newstart allowance into savings and see how long you last without health issues.

Well you shouldn't have chosen to be lazy, poor and sick I guess? :shrug:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

LibertyCat posted:

This is eating food others have grown/packed/transported/served, paying rent on a house that other people have bought&maintained, and using utilities that others have worked hard to repair in thunderstorms, all without doing anything positive to contribute back.

I agree that bosses are parasites and should be murdered too, but we're talking about unemployment here.

LibertyCat posted:

This is why I have not said to cut people off completely - just spend enough to keep them alive, nothing more.

How does, say, paying somebody at the poverty line or just above sound? Because what you're suggesting that we move people to is actually significantly higher than newstart is now, so thanks for demonstrating you have no idea about what needing to rely on centrelink is actually like.

LibertyCat posted:

legitimate refugees,

oh lord there's a whole new world of conservative crazy waiting to be unearthed here

LibertyCat posted:

If you will seriously commit a crime because you can't afford to see DeadPool, you deserve jail.
sure hope you've never pirated a movie then

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

E: im sure you arent an awful person in real life

c'mon man we both know this isnt true

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
With hindsight regarding the carbon tax repeal, reduction of the RET, gutting of the renewable energy sector, LNP crusade against wind farms and shitshow of direct action policy, do you still knock back the CPRS?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://m.theage.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/im-going-to-teach-these-f-pricks-a-lesson-the-fbomb-chats-that-landed-anz-in-court-over-rate-rigging-allegations-20160304-gnb8gj.html posted:

Sacked ANZ traders say bank tolerated drugs, strip clubs
By Jemima Whyte

The language is fast, profane and occasionally, damning. Even the best financial traders don't have respect without using the often impenetrable and macho lingo of the trading desk.

In ANZ's case, the recordings of its trading desk staff look highly damaging because they –the regulator is arguing, though ANZ is denying – show just how the bank allegedly rigged the market.

Whatever the outcome of this case, which will be highly complex and technical, the 79-page submission lodged by Australian Securities and Investments Commission in the Federal Court on Friday sheds light on the tightly knit world of bond market trading and its verbal shorthand.

I want this rate set as high as f-----' possible.

ANZ's trading room culture is already under fire after two court cases lodged by sacked ANZ traders exposed trading room chat that was salacious and smutty, though not illegal.
Advertisement

In the taped phone conversations and electronic chat included in the ASIC documents, the language is profane and alpha. The main question is whether it proves market manipulation.

Interestingly, ASIC brings ANZ's code of conduct and ethics into its case, the very issue that sacked traders Etienne Alexiou and Paddy O'Connor also raised in their "toxic culture" cases against the bank. Mr O'Connor has settled. Mr Alexiou is still pursuing legal action.
Link to manipulation

Another interesting outcome of these cases will be whether there is a link between the alleged toxic culture and market manipulation.

For those looking for colour rather than substance, one of the central figures in the court documents is Jason Pritchard, a former ANZ head of balance sheet trading suspended in 2014 before leaving the bank the following year.

He is now on the professional poker circuit, ranked 105th on the Australian money list after earning an estimated $336,245 playing in tournaments in Sydney, Melbourne, Monte Carlo and Las Vegas, according to poker website The Hendon Mob. He's dabbled in horse racing as well, part of a consortium that sold Zoustar for about $20 million to Middle Eastern buyer in 2013.

Pritchard's comments read as some of the most gung-ho in the court documents.

"If we can f------ jag , you know three points on 5 billion, that's half a million dollars just bang, done. People don't understand half a million dollars. Paul's up for that the year. You know? So we just need to f------ do that. Especially the f---king rate sets," he is recorded as saying to trainee dealer Mark Budrewicz in a phone conversation on June 10, 2010, the documents claim.

And this on the same day to head of rates trading Matthew Morris: "F-----' and just keep going until we find the bid ... and I want this rate set as high as f-----' possible."

There's also a bit of jargon ("a yard" is used to talk about one billion) and some banter:

"It feels like we're going into battle," Budrewicz said in a phone conversation in April 21, 2011.

"If people are going to play our games, right, we're going to f-----' go with you," Pritchard claims on the same day.

And Buderwicz again: "I'm going to teach these f------' pricks a lesson".
Nothing is private

This case is the latest reminder that nothing is private, particularly when it comes to the regulator and its compulsory gathering powers.

Whether it's enough to change the culture within ANZ's global markets trading division – which may or may not have fostered illegal activity – will play out for months.

Presented without comment. Any absence of comment is not to be insinuated as a comment in and of itself, and lastly this postscript saying no comment should not be considered a comment.

All that out of the way,
Lol

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I feel like arguing for things like support for unemployed people using economic justifications plays into the hands of right wingers. There should be enough ethical reasons to not allow people to starve on the street to not have to rely on economic ones. Apart from anything else it probably justifies the use of economic arguments for genuinely morally repugnant things.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm on work for the dole and for the past month and a half I have applied for well over 100 jobs in areas I am suited for, not qualified though because I don't have enough experience for them. Interviews have happened, other people score the gig but I get a "nah, we liked you, just the other dude had more experience" it's entirely depressing. It's why over this weekend I had a constant thought in my head "you know if your foot were broken you wouldn't have to do this anymore" and those thoughts suck.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tithin posted:

Presented without comment. Any absence of comment is not to be insinuated as a comment in and of itself, and lastly this postscript saying no comment should not be considered a comment.

All that out of the way,
Lol

You must be pissed that you have been busted :v:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

gay picnic defence posted:

I feel like arguing for things like support for unemployed people using economic justifications plays into the hands of right wingers. There should be enough ethical reasons to not allow people to starve on the street to not have to rely on economic ones. Apart from anything else it probably justifies the use of economic arguments for genuinely morally repugnant things.

Confounding moral and economic arguments is a big party of conservatism.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Economic arguments are simply better at it for dealing with right wingers. People like LibertyCat clearly do not care about the ethical ramifications of their positions, if they did they would not be advocating such utterly ruinous conditions for long term unemployed. They have dehumanised the unemployed so they don't have to consider them as real people, just a statistic. See how he has constantly referred to us as lazy, non-contibutive, interested only in luxuries, responsible for our own misfortune by playing pokies, etc. These are the standard lines of attack used to justify doing horrible things because, as you might have noticed, everything in that list is obviously our own fault.

Attacking and disproving each of these positions isn't feasible. Anything we might bring up can be dismissed with the line "well, those must be the good ones" and in a sample size as large as our total unemployment rate you can find an example or three of just about any kind of behaviour, meaning you'll get bogged down in an eternal battle that will just be pointlessly frustrating.

Economic arguments, however, hit home because they feel that they are being economically responsible, or see the unemployed as a drain instead of a vital component of the economy we have, and demonstrating that the consequences of harming the unemployed would harm people like LibertyCat in a manner that cannot be prevented by higher security or more police funding is more effective (The crime argument doesn't work well on its own in my experience, it just reinforces the whole "they are scum" idea).

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 6, 2016

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

This supposes right wingers care about ethics.

Isn't hardcore Libertarianism literally the disregarding of ethics for pure economic policy?

e; what tink said

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You've got it completely backwards. There are probably a few libertarian trainspotters who are only interested in efficient markets, but for most people it's an argument about morality. Making sure the government gets 'value for money' or whatever from their welfare schemes is the ruse that allows them to punish people on welfare. It's just reframed in a way that they're being punished not because they are a moral failure, but because they aren't making a sufficient contribution to the economy.

If these people cared about economic arguments we wouldn't spend billions on enforcement or basics cards that don't work and whatever other harebrained schemes are being rolled out at the moment.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

LibertyCat posted:

Unless you want to re-enact the stolen generation and take kids away from families stuck in the poverty cycle I'm not sure what the solution is.

This is who you're arguing with.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
jfc this place is easy to troll

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Birdstrike posted:

jfc this place is easy to troll

Welcome to Auspol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The book by political commentator Niki Savva, The Road to Ruin, How Tony Abbott and Peta Credlin destroyed their own government, also alleges Mr Abbott slapped the buttocks of his chief of staff Peta Credlin, not realising a minister witnessed the behaviour. Fairfax Media has independently verified this account.

Saucy

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I understand why plenty of people get frustrated at anyone who cheats the system, but it's frustrating that they allow those frustrations to guide their thinking to advocation of Victorian era poor houses rather than increased support systems to help the large group truly stuck in a cycle of poverty.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

In a surprising result, James Paterson has claimed the top spot on the Coalition's Senate ticket in Victoria against a push to get more women into politics.

The 28-year-old, from the Institute of Public Affairs, claimed the number one spot in pre-selection on Sunday, the Liberal party announced.

He beat superannuation policy advisor Jane Hume and former Victorian upper house MP Amanda Millar, who were both tipped as strong contenders for an all-female ticket.

Because we need more white male libertarians in the senate.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

Because we need more white male libertarians in the senate.

Wait, who sees that as a surprising result, the willfully blind?

Lid posted:

The book by political commentator Niki Savva, The Road to Ruin, How Tony Abbott and Peta Credlin destroyed their own government, also alleges Mr Abbott slapped the buttocks of his chief of staff Peta Credlin, not realising a minister witnessed the behaviour. Fairfax Media has independently verified this account.

Why is it only this morning that I learned that Savva was a former adviser to Howard and Costello. No wonder she's gotten a NewsCorp job and probably hates Abbott with a passion. As much as Abbott is a turd clinging on to the toilet of political relevance a lot of this seems like a beat up.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Senor Tron posted:

I understand why plenty of people get frustrated at anyone who cheats the system, but it's frustrating that they allow those frustrations to guide their thinking to advocation of Victorian era poor houses rather than increased support systems to help the large group truly stuck in a cycle of poverty.

It's because the whole system is broken and cheating is the only way to get ahead. Libertycat either is too dumb to successfully cheat the system, or already has and is pulling up the ladder behind them

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ah the deserving poor! How many more centuries before this tired moral position becomes history?

Let's have a look at deserved.

The highest hourly wage earned in Australia is $124.10 (Source - http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/the-20-jobs-that-are-highest-paid-per-hour/story-e6frfmd9-1226699999173). Now working 40 hours a week, eleven months a year for forty years means you can amass ~ 9.5 million dollars over your entire working life. Lets take away the 0.5 million that they would have gotten on centre link (They had to live on something) and that means anyone who has assets in excess of 9 million dollars is ripping us all off. There is no possible way, even at the highest wage available, for them to accumulate their wealth on the basis of their efforts alone.

How is it possible for the people who have more than 9 million dollars in assets to get their loot? After taking vaginal discharge offsets (inheritance which is clearly not ever 'earned'), they lever it out of the economy at the expense of everyone else. Ladies and Gentlemen the true face of your overlords, the undeserving rich.

Solemn Sloth I'm really sorry for your latest experience. You should be eligible for compensation. Hope things work out better for you soon.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Since we're talking unemployment...

I've recently had to move to another state due to circumstances outside of my control and it's rendered me unemployed for the first time since I lived at home.

The jobs up here aren't suitable. I either lack the experience or qualifications required, have the experience but am considered over-qualified with two degrees (including a Masters), or don't feel comfortable working a job that would basically prevent me from living with my partner (for example, weekend work or night shifts). Alternatively, they're jobs like fruit-picking which, as we all know, are great employers who don't exploit their workers. I've applied for a few jobs through Seek and newspaper ads, but haven't received a call back or any sort of response. Sure, I have a certain amount of privilege because my partner can provide for us both (and I have a fair bit of savings) but I want to work. After the second week of being unemployed, I was going out of my mind - and still am. I'm bored.

So, what can I do? I could go on Newstart, sure. However, that is basically Government-sanctioned degradation and my initial stint on that around six years ago was enough for me to resolve to never go on it again - particularly with how much worse it is now. I could accept one of those really basic jobs, if they were to ever contact me back, and brace myself for my home life becoming a stressful morass because my partner likes going on weekend trips and things like that. Or, I can stay unemployed and deal with the stress of not contributing to anything and the shame of having people think you're a lazy piece of poo poo and the mind-numbing ennui of being at home, doing housework for every single day.

Being unemployed sucks. There are very few people who would willingly want to do this. But there's more to the argument then the fact that they should just take any job available.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If you are really bored, try and get one of those fruit picking jobs. Document your experience. Then apply for Newstart and document your experience. I know both suck but at least you aren't actually in the position of most 'sufferers' and can spare the mental space to analyse the events.

Also lol at a health card being an easy immediate pick up. Yeah I tried. Nope. I looked at the big fat pile of documents required and decided I owed it to my health to not do that. Centerlink make everything either painful or impossible or both.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Hockey did it: table mystery solved

Joe Hockey has been unmasked as the culprit who cracked a marble table during Tony Abbott’s end-of-rule party.

The Australian’s political columnist Niki Savva points the finger at Mr Hockey, the former treasurer who is now Australia’s ambassador to the US, in her new book, The Road to Ruin, which pulls back the curtains on the inner workings of the Abbott government.

Tales of the political wake on the night Mr Abbott was deposed as prime minister by Malcolm Turnbull are now legendary.

Mr Abbott played Elvis Presley’s Suspicious Minds and then cabinet minister Jamie Briggs injured­ his knee while trying to crash-tackle the outgoing prime minister. The marble table in the prime minister’s suite also ­became a ­casualty.

“Different people jumped on to an expensive marble-topped Italian table to speak or dance, but when Joe Hockey hopped on to it, the marble cracked,’’ Savva writes. “Hockey fell straight through the middle.’’

Mr Abbott, she writes, went to help him and sustained a cut that needed bandaging.

The mystery over the table feat­ured in a Senate estimates hearing last year, prompting Mr Abbott to confirm he would pay for the damage, estimated to be more than $1000

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...4af0370f3e88011

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

wow, way to be fattist nikki sava

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The whole thing is Kardashian tier trash.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

The whole thing is Kardashian tier trash.

this government? I agree

actually, that's unfair to the kardashians.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wait, who sees that as a surprising result, the willfully blind?

Why is it only this morning that I learned that Savva was a former adviser to Howard and Costello. No wonder she's gotten a NewsCorp job and probably hates Abbott with a passion. As much as Abbott is a turd clinging on to the toilet of political relevance a lot of this seems like a beat up.

Gearing up for the election, reminding the punters that turnbull is not abbott.

Solemn Sloth posted:

wow, way to be fattist nikki sava

Keep it under your hat but, niki savva is actually an rear end in a top hat :ssh:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The current government should be more like the TV show survivor except that they don't get voted off and have to stay there forever.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This year on "I'm a politican, get me out of here" politicians are forced to deal with the harsh conditions living on the surface of the sun.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm a little disappointed in all these so called greens supporters being willing to gratuitously pollute the sun.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Cartoon posted:

I'm a little disappointed in all these so called greens supporters being willing to gratuitously pollute the sun.

The greens opposition to nuclear power is pretty well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Milky Moor posted:

Since we're talking unemployment...

I've recently had to move to another state due to circumstances outside of my control and it's rendered me unemployed for the first time since I lived at home.

The jobs up here aren't suitable. I either lack the experience or qualifications required, have the experience but am considered over-qualified with two degrees (including a Masters), or don't feel comfortable working a job that would basically prevent me from living with my partner (for example, weekend work or night shifts). Alternatively, they're jobs like fruit-picking which, as we all know, are great employers who don't exploit their workers. I've applied for a few jobs through Seek and newspaper ads, but haven't received a call back or any sort of response. Sure, I have a certain amount of privilege because my partner can provide for us both (and I have a fair bit of savings) but I want to work. After the second week of being unemployed, I was going out of my mind - and still am. I'm bored.

So, what can I do? I could go on Newstart, sure. However, that is basically Government-sanctioned degradation and my initial stint on that around six years ago was enough for me to resolve to never go on it again - particularly with how much worse it is now. I could accept one of those really basic jobs, if they were to ever contact me back, and brace myself for my home life becoming a stressful morass because my partner likes going on weekend trips and things like that. Or, I can stay unemployed and deal with the stress of not contributing to anything and the shame of having people think you're a lazy piece of poo poo and the mind-numbing ennui of being at home, doing housework for every single day.

Being unemployed sucks. There are very few people who would willingly want to do this. But there's more to the argument then the fact that they should just take any job available.

Last time I was looking for work I almost always got an interview when I applied for jobs that used my degree but had trouble getting past the interview phase since I was fresh out of uni and inexperienced. For that reason I applied for a lot of retail jobs, figuring that I could use that to make some income in the meantime, but I almost never heard back. I left my degree off my resume and had 5+ years experience, so it wasn't like they knew I was overqualified. It really did seem to be the case that it's harder to get past the application phase with lovely jobs, probably because there's way more people applying for them. Eventually I spent a day applying for every single supermarket job within a 30 minute drive of my house (150+ jobs), got an interview from about 5% of them and got a job that way, and then looked for something better once I had it. I'm not using that anecdote in a "bootstraps" sense, but as an example of how hard it can be. Apparently HR told my manager that they got over 300 applicants for the casual retail role that I got, so no wonder it was so hard. You're absolutely right that the "just get a crappy retail job" advice is naive and I know how horrible that radio silence you get can feel.

While you are really hesitant to work weekends and evenings, don't completely rule out jobs that ask those hours if they are in a business with a lot of other roles, like a supermarket. Once you're working there you can talk to your boss about your roster or transfer to a different department. That said, some companies might not let you transfer for say 3 months after starting. Also, an evening job that's only like 10 hours a week won't really keep you away from your partner, and while it's not a lot of money, the $200 or so it adds to the household budget will help a lot with the feeling of not contributing.

• Locked thread