Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

That was a great D&D episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I honestly figured the room was a time portal, so the solution would involve solving a riddle in the room before he could successfully pass.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that was a good episode.

Also, I like to think he could have opened the door by just stacking the snowman in the correct order.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Legends of the Hidden Temple style.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Like his doubling back to get to the door and open it a second time wasn't so much the correct answer so much as it was an exploitable bug in the system.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

RandomPauI posted:

Like his doubling back to get to the door and open it a second time wasn't so much the correct answer so much as it was an exploitable bug in the system.

It wasn't the same door though. He tried going to same place and the cave wasn't even there.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

He's not even in the real world anymore. He's 2 levels deep in dream. He's gonna start hearing BWAAAAAAAAHs soon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vorgen posted:

He's not even in the real world anymore. He's 2 levels deep in dream. He's gonna start hearing BWAAAAAAAAHs soon.

I suspect that if he'd set off the foyer trap in the second dungeon that's exactly what would have happened.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Was the upside down snowman sculpture in the middle there for a reason, or was it just a red herring?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Was the upside down snowman sculpture in the middle there for a reason, or was it just a red herring?

It might have been a red herring, but I still like to think that stacking it correctly would have opened the door and Finn just never thought of doing that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm going to say it was absolutely what he was supposed to do as it was immediately obvious and he never did it. The only way the joke would have worked otherwise is if he did the obvious thing and it didn't work as he expected.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Finn's like level ten and this dungeon was like level three at best.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Episode was great, show is still great gently caress the haters

I think one of my favorite aspects about this show is that by it's very format it will always be offputting to some big segment of the fanbase no matter what it does.

ie the perfect show for people to bitch in tviv

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Sometimes this thread can be saltier than the Salt Kingdom

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There's a good chance Finn is still in the dungeon at the end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress!!!!!! that episode ruled!!!!!!!!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

axleblaze posted:

It might have been a red herring, but I still like to think that stacking it correctly would have opened the door and Finn just never thought of doing that.

Ignoring the obvious solution and making the entire ordeal way more complicated than it was meant to be? Man this show really is inspired by dnd players.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am not sure I get what exactly Finn did that counted as a solution. Why was the temple somewhere else this time? Why did opening his eyes reset his timeline to the start of the closed eyes maze? What was with the closed eyes maze?

Either this is one of those things were very little explanation is given so everyone can draw their own conclusion or I missed something very obvious.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anybody else catch the imagery of a third eye on his forehead trying to open? Some really powerful symbolism in that one, quite like the dungeon train nearby, yet not at the expense of adventure.

Finn can only get through the tunnel on instinct; his every attempt to create a guide or a trail fails. Once through it, he enters an illusory world where his attachments keep sending him back to where he started. His senses betray him; he can only "see" with inner sight, and locating the dungeon within the illusion was the test to open that higher perception. It's intentional that in the shot where he opens his eyes, one single eye fills the entire frame, so it might be the third one.

Buddhist imagery all over this poo poo.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bongo Bill posted:

Anybody else catch the imagery of a third eye on his forehead trying to open? Some really powerful symbolism in that one, quite like the dungeon train nearby, yet not at the expense of adventure.

I absolutely thought his 3rd eye was going to open up.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Finn, get naked.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

i am so confused

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If the episode tried to convey some deep philosophical idea, it sucked.

If it didn't, it was a pretty good episode.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Paladinus posted:

If the episode tried to convey some deep philosophical idea, it sucked.

If it didn't, it was a pretty good episode.

All ideas are equally deep.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I thought the 'third eye' was just them trying to convey eyebrow raising or something...

anyway, I liked it because it was like a really rad messed up puzzle.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Title card for next episode is on kingofooo.

Guess we're finally getting that Huntress Wizard episode.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So, Finn was last out this way right before he messed things up with the Flame Princess, and he seemed to miss an obvious puzzle involving a snowman. Coincidence??

This kinda seemed like a story of Finn still being absolutely terrible at thinking outside the box, and instead doing the same thing over and over for so long that the dungeon just gave up and let him win. Either way, I loved it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'd say if anything this episode was an example of Finn not being able to think inside the box. If he actually made it out, he essentially broke the dungeon.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Finn has achieved enlightenment like, at least three times at this point. Really good episode.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I'd say if anything this episode was an example of Finn not being able to think inside the box. If he actually made it out, he essentially broke the dungeon.
That makes sense... I guess I was thinking more about his stubbornness, but you're right that his first instinct in this case (as well as generally) seems to be a non-standard solution. He pretty much just brute-forces everything, and it's amazing.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Also does anyone think it's weird that Finn hear's PB's voice in his head all the time?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

Also does anyone think it's weird that Finn hear's PB's voice in his head all the time?

Nah, she is important to him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
PB implants transmitters into her subjects' heads to control them. :tinfoil:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She in many ways functions as his mentor so it makes sense he would remember her advice and stuff

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I now desperately want the plot of the next episode to be violently cut off halfway through by Fin realizing he's still in the dungeon.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

readingatwork posted:

I now desperately want the plot of the next episode to be violently cut off halfway through by Fin realizing he's still in the dungeon.

Ideally with Jake standing there just having done the snowman puzzle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting to mention this episode felt weirdly like an episode of Aeon Flux. The music at the end when Finn was running through the invisible maze was even really like the music from the show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Three-piece statue puzzles are surprisingly hard to wrap your head around, if the Shrine of the Silver Monkey is any indication.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Three-piece statue puzzles are surprisingly hard to wrap your head around, if the Shrine of the Silver Monkey is any indication.

Too be fair to contestants on Legends of the Hidden Temple, I imagine a lot of the struggle with assembling the statue was the race against the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The way Finn beats the door reminds me in an odd way of stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

• Locked thread