Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

like a lot of things it's probably not horrible in moderation

iirc they got rid of quaalude because it essentially created the "don't mix alcohol and sleeping pills or you will die" phenomenon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

maniacdevnull posted:

Yo can you mail me your wiper fluid reservoir cap? Mine fell off a while ago and I cant be assed to go to a junkyard just for that

Don't know if you are serious or not. But this is the current buzz on the internets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWHAQOkjXY

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Trabant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LUBrnoILFM

what a fantastic accent

gonna have to make that bread tomorrow
i want to make that and eat it and also i want to sleep with that man

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

iirc they got rid of quaalude because it essentially created the "don't mix alcohol and sleeping pills or you will die" phenomenon

ludes are still around in South Africa and a few other places because lol of course they are. benzos + alcohol can also kill you although that's not quite as dangerous. it is a bit strange how completely ludes have fallen out of favor clinically though, due to their abuse. I wonder if ludes aren't so much bad as a drug, but that they were so frequently used and abused recreationally. sort of like valium; it's not so dangerous as a drug, but its history of overprescription has given it a reputation so it's mostly avoided now. maybe someone here has a ludes trip report

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wargames posted:

Don't know if you are serious or not. But this is the current buzz on the internets

That's a surprisingly delicate process. I feel like in :911: you'd just shove a stick of dynamite in the hole and call it a day

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

good thing we have 1 million kinds of barbiturates and tylenol

not to mention opiates, red bull and a gently caress ton of prescription meds that will make you die if you overdrink

you can join the 27 club without any musical talent if you time it right

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wargames posted:

how do they know the bees are german? do they sing "summ summ summ das Bienchen summt herum" instead of going "bzz bzz"?

e: oh wasps not bees. i don't know what wasp is in german. Hitlerbienchen?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

ludes are still around in South Africa and a few other places because lol of course they are. benzos + alcohol can also kill you although that's not quite as dangerous. it is a bit strange how completely ludes have fallen out of favor clinically though, due to their abuse. I wonder if ludes aren't so much bad as a drug, but that they were so frequently used and abused recreationally. sort of like valium; it's not so dangerous as a drug, but its history of overprescription has given it a reputation so it's mostly avoided now. maybe someone here has a ludes trip report

it's called 'the wolf of wall street'

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
so what did people use as sleeping aids before methaqualone hit the market?

I want to know what the prelude to quaalude was

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

barbiturates

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/NorbertDog/status/706600841378009088

how is this dog real

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wargames posted:

Why doesn't he kill the wasps first ?

The noise of the wasps hitting the camera :stonk:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EouHnOxPizo

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

how do they know the bees are german? do they sing "summ summ summ das Bienchen summt herum" instead of going "bzz bzz"?

e: oh wasps not bees. i don't know what wasp is in german. Hitlerbienchen?

Nichts Neues an der Wespfront

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao check this moron out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKQihUEFA0

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Broken Machine posted:

ludes are still around in South Africa and a few other places because lol of course they are. benzos + alcohol can also kill you although that's not quite as dangerous. it is a bit strange how completely ludes have fallen out of favor clinically though, due to their abuse.

they're not just 'out of favor'; in the US they are now schedule 1. you cannot get a legal prescription for them under any circumstances. the guy in charge of apartheid south africa's chemical weapons program financed it in part by selling methaqualone and MDMA on the black market.

quote:

This led to the investigation of unusual non-lethal agents, including illicit recreational drugs such as MDMA, methaqualone and cocaine, as well as medicinal drugs such as diazepam, ketamine, suxamethonium and tubocurarine, as potential incapacitating agents. According to the testimony given by Wouter Basson to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission,[4] analogues of these compounds were prepared and studied, and both methaqualone and MDMA (along with the deliriant BZ) were manufactured in large quantities and successfully weaponised into a fine dust or aerosol form that could be released over a crowd as a potential riot control agent. Basson was later found to have also been selling large quantities of MDMA and methaqualone as tablets on the black market, but the amount manufactured was far larger than what was sold and the court accepted that at least some genuine weaponisation and testing of these agents had been done.

methaqualone is still out there; ecstasy data received two samples of it in 2014. one was a powder with a 6:1 methaqualone to ketamine ratio and the other was a 2:1 methaqualone:benadryl tablet that was sold to someone as Ecstasy.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

they're not just 'out of favor'; in the US they are now schedule 1. you cannot get a legal prescription for them under any circumstances. the guy in charge of apartheid south africa's chemical weapons program financed it in part by selling methaqualone and MDMA on the black market.

strangely still available with a prescription in Canada, no idea if it's still prescribed in practice. it's strange sometimes the drugs that aren't banned - for example laudanum is still available by prescription the US, while heroin is used clinically in the UK

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

actually its just that quaaludes will kill you if you OD vs benzos where if you're taking just benzos you'll pass the gently caress out. it would take a positively heroic effort to on ativan or xanax, like eating hundreds of pills. quaaludes it'd be quite easy to take a couple, pass out and die.

drinking with either of them will loving kill you pretty fast or at the very least make you black out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i didn't think Citizen Tayne's voice would be like that

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Segmentation Fault posted:

barbs like phenobarbital and before that there were hypnotics like carbromal that date back to the early 1900s. before that? booze? ether?

Br Med J. 1959 Aug 1; 2(5143): 118.
PMCID: PMC1989911
Addiction to Carbromal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Broken Machine posted:

benzos + alcohol can also kill you although that's not quite as dangerous.

i've known multiple people who have died this way

it's really popular

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Gobbeldygook posted:

methaqualone is still out there; ecstasy data received two samples of it in 2014. one was a powder with a 6:1 methaqualone to ketamine ratio and the other was a 2:1 methaqualone:benadryl tablet that was sold to someone as Ecstasy.

whoa that's cool

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've known multiple people who have died this way

it's really popular

i call it the self-loathing cocktail. i've had like one beer and an ativan before and you just feel less and less like 'you' until you black out. the only kind of person who finds that pleasant finds it unpleasant to exist at all.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEJ8gm8aL4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTBMNQgc3qM

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm so tired of all these Drug Wars

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cool I see you found my sc2k save

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i call it the self-loathing cocktail. i've had like one beer and an ativan before and you just feel less and less like 'you' until you black out. the only kind of person who finds that pleasant finds it unpleasant to exist at all.

actually a pretty good description of the types of people i know who did that

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
those ppl tend to have a pretty legitimate need for an anxiolytic of some sort.

kinda sucks that all the effective ones are either addictive, potentially lethal, or both

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

why did you post a shorter, crappier quality video of the same thing i posted?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
all hail nancy reagan, legendary back lot blow job queen

she blew more b list actors than rock hudson

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

y u post a lovely vid of what i posted?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

those ppl tend to have a pretty legitimate need for an anxiolytic of some sort.

kinda sucks that all the effective ones are either addictive, potentially lethal, or both

sadly there will probably never be an anxiolytic other than therapy that works for more than 4 weeks straight and therapy is a) so hard to get b) so expensive c) so stigmatized that its not seen as a valid option

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

because i didn't watch what you posted and thought it was the real press conference

i don't read posts, buddy, i just make them

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

do i even want to know what is in vegan "cheeze"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

Lol @ South Africa researching tubocurarine as a "non lethal" weapon. It paralyses skeletal muscles (incl. your diaphragm but not your heart) without affecting anything else, so you suffocate to death while unable to move, fully alert and aware of what's happening to you

It's true, I've never met a nice South African

• Locked thread