Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

That magical bullshit in her forehead has to be useful for something?

correct me if im wrong but doesnt allison have the same power as the demiurges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm hoping for some sort of ironic punishment, like, condemned to bury all the people she has killed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Power and knowledge are two different things, and Allison has a horrible deficit of the latter. In fact, she's so lacking in knowledge that her lack of knowledge is her power. Reach Heaven through violence.

e: my usually ironclad vocabulary has betrayed me

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 6, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This isn't gonna cause this dude to just die, I expect. Mottom's probably gonna torture him for a century whilst making him watch his world be sterilised.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The Demiurges were super-powerful before they got their hands on the keys in other ways. They were the victors of the universal war, after all.

And Allison has no idea how to use her key.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You know, I somehow don't think Mottom's the torturing type, at least, not on a doing-it-for-pure-spite level. She seems more like the type who just straight up destroys things and people she doesn't like, and moves on with getting what she wants.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True.

Raze the planet, at least. Gotta make examples.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think she's way ahead of you on that first part.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My prediction: Mottom appreciates this guy's pluck and elevates him to a position of power and prestige. Whereupon he gets completely destroyed when Allison does something awesome and dumb that wipes out the entire court.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
He could be the next Sisyphus, but Mottom has a bad temper.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, I get the feeling Mottom's relentless indulgence is borne partially out of her certainty that the demiurges' days are numbered. She's not really a "long-term" kind of person.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oxxidation posted:

Power and knowledge are two different things, and Allison has a horrible surfeit of the latter. In fact, she's so lacking in knowledge that her lack of knowledge is her power. Reach Heaven through violence.

Surfeit is the opposite of deficit :ssh: an excess of knowledge is definitely not Allison's problem.

e/ although arguably, a horrible surfeit of knowledge is the fate that befell proto-allison in the animated short that kicked this off :psypop:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 6, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Allison knows nothing? Perfect.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I dunno, I don't think you can keep a load of universes under your crushingly oppressive rule and ripe for exploitation if you let the locals sass you without any comeuppance.

Edit: And I assume that he is going to get absolutely destroyed, leaving Alison with 1) no reason to jump in because he's already dead 2) the realisation that asking Mottom for a favour is a real bad idea and she needs to get out of here.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 6, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

team overhead smash posted:

I dunno, I don't think you can keep a load of universes under your crushingly oppressive rule and ripe for exploitation if you let the locals sass you without any comeuppance.

Earthly tyrants need to make a big show of crushing any dissent because their grip is tenuous, their power limited, and if the upstarts are allowed to get their poo poo together they could quickly overthrow them. The Demiurges need to maintain that kind of vigilant oppression like you need to stick a Glock in a kitten's face to get it to stop hissing at you.

some people just like to shoot cats man

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yeah, Mottom's not going to make an example of this guy. She'll make an example of his whole world and make him watch.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Who says she can't do both?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's going to die swiftly because there's no way to like, idk, chain him to a throne and force him to watch the ruin of everything he's ever loved via magical sight from atop a mountain or whatever, in one page

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
Realizing that this is completely not what is either intended nor how the story is planned to go:

Given that everyone not relying on magical bullshit seems to have renaissance-era metallurgy and weapons technology, it would be really funny if things somehow come to earth's gate being opened only to end up like that one scifi short story where the twist is that most other alien races discovered the simple secret to FTL travel around the conquistador era and never developed advanced technology because they could just keep expanding to avoid resource shortages.

As Mottom's palace dissolves in a thermonuclear blast, they realize that the only world without magic or access to the infinite trading hub has gotten really, really, really good at murdering people to hold onto their resources.

Edit: "The Road Not Taken" by Henry Turtledove

RolandTower fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 6, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have the feeling that a nuke would only destroy a great deal of mottom's palace and servants, and piss her off

tech is really hard to export in this universe, due to the way the void works. when a demiurge encounters a significantly technologically savvy world, i'm guessing a great deal of the time the resulting societal collapse probably erases a lot of that. magic works everywhere.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jagganoth is the only demiurge who could survive a nuclear blast, but he's also the only one who would just stand there and take it.

Well, I bet Gog-agog could too, come to think of it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pretty sure abaddon directly addressed this at one point, the destructive potential of the demiurges' own mystic magic bullshit is at least equivalent to nukes. The reason they tend to stick on matchlock era weaponry is that anything more complex isn't worth the effort of maintaining in the void, because magic is Hot poo poo. (as in, if magic wasn't really all that good you can bet they'd bother keeping more advanced weapons around; they're certainly not hurting for resources)

Reminder that Zoss soloed like a hundred gundams practically bare handed.

The Road Not Taken is very good though, even if it does skirt the border of military fanwank.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 6, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That and things that rely on the laws of physics arent of much use when those laws change every other world.

The Will of a skilled magician however, stays the same in any location.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I am honestly extremely curious how a Demiurge would cope with (or laugh at) a multi-megaton-yield nuclear device, and I hope we get to see it at some point over the course of the comic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, it's much easier to keep a firm grip on low-technology worlds, so they generally stop that poo poo, even locally.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've wondered about what the difference in circumstances, power levels, and such that lead to Zoss taking down the Prime Angles and then getting taken out by the Thorn Knights.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sucker punch.

More seriously, my impression is that while demiurges are apocalypticly powerful, they're not substantially more durable than their unenlightened brethren, they're just really really good at dodging. I'm mostly guessing here, but we do know for certain they still age, and that humans can only go a few centuries at most, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn they could all be done in by a good old fashioned beheading so long as they didn't see it coming.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also he probably kind of let it happen? like, he did it, he found the heir, presumably he's got some idea of what happens next

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

also he probably kind of let it happen? like, he did it, he found the heir, presumably he's got some idea of what happens next

yeah, im still thinking that Zoss aint dead. hes just laying low.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
"A chest full of skeletal remains? Whatever, just stick it next to the 15 other chests."

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Sucker punch.

More seriously, my impression is that while demiurges are apocalypticly powerful, they're not substantially more durable than their unenlightened brethren, they're just really really good at dodging... it wouldn't surprise me to learn they could all be done in by a good old fashioned beheading so long as they didn't see it coming.

"When a core part of your knightly creed includes the phrase ‘If it has a pulse – remove its skull!’, what can you do about a thirty foot immortal monstrosity impervious to physical harm and with complete mastery over space-time?"

Preem Payapop Pritrum – On the New Gods

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's referring to Jagganoth specifically, though. The others haven't been established to also be invulnerable god-kings just yet; he's above and beyond them in power.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sucker punch.

More seriously, my impression is that while demiurges are apocalypticly powerful, they're not substantially more durable than their unenlightened brethren, they're just really really good at dodging. I'm mostly guessing here, but we do know for certain they still age, and that humans can only go a few centuries at most, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn they could all be done in by a good old fashioned beheading so long as they didn't see it coming.

I guess we're gonna find out this chapter, but I think it's significant that the only people we know of to have ever hosed up a demiurge are other demiurges, and I have a hard time seeing gross ol mummy Mottom ruling unopposed over her multiversal empire of terror in gangster heaven for eons if a dagger in the back or some cyanide pie stood a chance of ending it. We're talking definitions of 'good at dodging' that make it functionally identical to invulnerability in every way.

Pretty sure abaddon directly addressed this at one point, the destructive potential of the demiurges' own mystic magic bullshit is at least equivalent to nukes. The reason they tend to stick on matchlock era weaponry is that anything more complex isn't worth the effort of maintaining in the void, because magic is Hot poo poo. (as in, if magic wasn't really all that good you can bet they'd bother keeping more advanced weapons around; they're certainly not hurting for resources)

The Road Not Taken is very good though, even if it does skirt the border of military fanwank.

yeah it seems like the gist is rather than go through the effort to develop the substantial industrial base you need for, like, modern armaments (or cars, or computers, or whatever), they'd rather build a matchlock any clever person could build out of a pipe, a rope, a log, and some poop in a shed and then make it a magic matchlock that can shoot through tanks or never runs out of bullets or whatever they want it to. In Throne physical objects are really more or less just an anchor to hang some magic onto and their actual mundane properties aren't that important, bodies included. The idea of a sword in the hands of a skilled fighter is more lethal than a dozen real ones in the hands of fools.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 7, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Demiurges and technology:

quote:

indecent-adri asked:

How can the Demiruges make sure no high technologies are introduced to Throne ? With the help of the Concordant Knights ? I mean, we're speaking of high-tech. Can't a gauss canon just rip an angel in two ? (okay, maybe an angel can avoid a gauss canon bullet, but still, you could invade Throne with a fleet of high-tech space dreadnoughts, with a power-armored infantry)

A

Complex technology tends to break down in the void, and is hard to keep together and repair in the field, due to the difficulty of supply lines running through space that could take a day or a week to cross the same distance (the void). Forces don’t even work the same from world to world sometimes.

More importantly, Throne itself has a population of 800 million. That’s more than two and a half times the population of the United States. Many of the beings living there would be considered supernatural monsters or demigods in our world and can bend reality. Bullets are trivial to them unless imbued with similar supernatural power.

On the occasion demiurges have run into worlds with high technology levels, they have had very little problem conquering them, for they are Royalty, and their breath is destruction. The technology is usually broken down or stripped for useful applications, except in the case of Jagganoth, who works very hard at improving it.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Basically tech's grounded in rules, which Royalty doesn't give a poo poo gently caress about.

You just know that Incubus is sending out dickpics on some sort of glyphosphere smartphone all the time, though.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

You may have some luck deploying some ultra effective laser cannons. Can't dodge something that strikes the very instant you can even see it firing.

But then you may need magic to power said cannons without house sized batteries. Need enough power to vaporize whatever gets hit, so it can't possibly react.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

nimby posted:

You may have some luck deploying some ultra effective laser cannons. Can't dodge something that strikes the very instant you can even see it firing.

But then you may need magic to power said cannons without house sized batteries. Need enough power to vaporize whatever gets hit, so it can't possibly react.

Or cause incredible physical trauma, but this is a world where master martial artists duel 100 foot tall bronze god-colossi.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
This is the sort of poo poo that Jagganoth brainstorms on when he's bored. Do not assail the Red King!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the real reason is because if you really want some bullshit about cool laser cannons and jet fighters totally punking magic demigods who oh man did not see that coming you're looking for this story, not Kill Six Billion Demons

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh christ I forgot that thing existed. Where Road Not Taken skirts a little way outside the border of Clancy-esque military fetishism, that story plows straight through with the windows down blasting Getaway on the stereo.

Yes, I've read the entire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
all i remember about that thing is that julius caesar putsches satan