Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Verranicus posted:

Is loot tailored to each party in raids in -any- MMO?

I don't know, this is the first one I've ever played this much.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes. The problem in this one is that you can share a drop with your "alts" even if its bound because you are your alts so everyone "can" use every drop.

I see. I'm glad Need/Greed stops people from just taking everything then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ApplesandOranges posted:

As an AST I appreciate it in a dungeon when the tank gives me those 10 seconds to go Nocturnal > Aspected Benefic > Diurnal before a pull.

And a side of stoneskin to go with. Pull, tank! Pull to your little heart's content!

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know, this is the first one I've ever played this much.

I see. I'm glad Need/Greed stops people from just taking everything then.

Yeah. There is almost no reason to roll alts in this game, as you can be every job on one character.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 7, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At this point can you get to your first 50 just doing the MSQ and class quests? Or am I gimping myself with gear by not doing the side quests? I'm halfway through 30, just started my job quest, and I'm still mid-20s for the MSQ.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Yeah, they boosted pre-50 MSQ EXP at around 3.0, so that and maybe a roulette every day or so should be enough to get you to 50. I levelled an alt recently and it's very easy to outpace quests, level wise. It's much faster than it used to be. Apart from important sidequests like those that unlock content like your Chocobo or the Challenge Log, it's best to save most for alt classes.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You might need to do some roulette dungeons, but yes, the MSQ will take you to 50 with no trouble. Some sidequests will lead you to optional dungeons, or side stuff like the aesthictian or treasure maps, and you should do those. You can buy all of the ARR sidequest gear from vendors, and goons can make you better stuff than that, anyway, so you don't need to worry about that. You should prioritize your MSQ more.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Okay thanks. Yeah I'm using the Reddit post linked to in the OP as a guide for getting ready for 3.0.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I made it to something like 47 or so doing MSQ and sidequests. Maybe I didn't have the proper bonus that you do. There was definitely grinding that needed to be done for me to make it into Castrum Meridianum.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Were you doing LLDR? It's like an entire level, maybe even two levels sub-30.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

If only that pom were actually part of my character.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Other question, when I hit 50 and have Heavensward, will I still get xp going through the 2.1-2.5 content?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Other question, when I hit 50 and have Heavensward, will I still get xp going through the 2.1-2.5 content?

Yes. If you have Heavensward.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

kafziel posted:

Yes. If you have Heavensward.
But the amounts are DRASTICALLY REDUCED. There are 100 quests and you might gain a level and a half from them all if you've got rest exp the whole time. Proper Heavensward quests start throwing a proper amount of exp at you though.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
That depends on the rate that you play and do roulettes. My friend who picked up the game after HW hit was 54 before she set foot in Ishgard.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I could really use some help getting ACT to work, after setting it up according to a guide I found all it's saying is 'No data to show'. It's tracking what area I'm in when I tab over to the main window, but it's not showing any fights at all.

On the Pre-HW quests, I took my sweet time getting to Ishgard so I was already 58 by the time I got there thanks to those and roulettes.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 7, 2016

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

:yikes:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

:wiggle:

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Eopia posted:

I could really use some help getting ACT to work, after setting it up according to a guide I found all it's saying is 'No data to show'. It's tracking what area I'm in when I tab over to the main window, but it's not showing any fights at all.

Did you run ACT as an administrator?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You might also need to set up some Windows Firewall exceptions for it. Possibly. But running as administrator is definitely a big thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The network parsing option might have to get toggled to disable or enable, whatever's not default. It periodically just breaks for me and that checkbox is always the reason why, even though I'm certain it's been both ways successfully before.

e: whoops, forgot to post the question I came to ask in the first place. I can't read the Eorzean text-font-thing, what was the name of the Gentle Dead Man in the end credits of the new Hildibrand stuff? It was clearly a name and not the title.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The network parsing option might have to get toggled to disable or enable, whatever's not default. It periodically just breaks for me and that checkbox is always the reason why, even though I'm certain it's been both ways successfully before.

e: whoops, forgot to post the question I came to ask in the first place. I can't read the Eorzean text-font-thing, what was the name of the Gentle Dead Man in the end credits of the new Hildibrand stuff? It was clearly a name and not the title.

This was exactly it, the guide I used said to uncheck that box but as soon as I rechecked it, it started working properly. Thank you.

How's 1410 dps over 3 minutes for a i216 dragoon without food, potion, or party buffs? I know I can improve it by adding materia but I am super poor and can't afford any right now.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 7, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
1410's not amazing but it's still probably better by a considerable margin than what you'll see in a lot of groups. Don't worry about melding materia unless you're in a static and running Midas savage. Especially if you don't have tons of gil to burn.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
A few nights ago, my static messed up on Sephirot ex and I was the only one left standing and, as a healer, I tried to be an hero and use my level 3 limit break even though I knew some upcoming mechanic was going to kill me since casting that locks me in place. Joke's on me, though, because everyone got one-shot because it was Yesad and no one could move while in the resurrection animation so they all just died instantly.

I don't actually have anything to add to any conversation. I'm just kind of sad that one of the few times I got to use my limit break, it didn't work out. It was my chance! My chance!!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Evil Fluffy posted:

1410's not amazing but it's still probably better by a considerable margin than what you'll see in a lot of groups. Don't worry about melding materia unless you're in a static and running Midas savage. Especially if you don't have tons of gil to burn.

I am in a static and we intend to run Midas Savage, but we don't yet have the ability to pass the first dps check so I'm trying to do what I can to reach that point.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ruta posted:

A few nights ago, my static messed up on Sephirot ex and I was the only one left standing and, as a healer, I tried to be an hero and use my level 3 limit break even though I knew some upcoming mechanic was going to kill me since casting that locks me in place. Joke's on me, though, because everyone got one-shot because it was Yesad and no one could move while in the resurrection animation so they all just died instantly.

I don't actually have anything to add to any conversation. I'm just kind of sad that one of the few times I got to use my limit break, it didn't work out. It was my chance! My chance!!
This exact same thing happened to me except it was in A5 normal, I thought I was so clever raising everyone and then they were locked in the res animation and couldn't gorilla and do anything about the bombs, so we wiped anyway :negative:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

fount of knowledge posted:

Got a thing today.

Only 999,500 MGP to go until I get that Cloud Strife card. :getin:

Grats! I am still about 250K away but plugging away at it. I miss the days where I could farm Jonas during TT tourneys and walk away with 20K MGP.

kafziel posted:

That depends on the rate that you play and do roulettes. My friend who picked up the game after HW hit was 54 before she set foot in Ishgard.

I know someone who started recently and was 55 before HW. He also was rouletting a lot and I think had 50DR unlocked by then by doing all the dungeons along the way to break up the quest grind. Definitely worth grabbing goons and doing a few dungeons as you go - they get newbie poetics, you get good XP and get to see a reasonable chunk of the bounty of content they put into the ARR patch cycle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

Counterpoint, if you have capped beast tribe rep (even if it's only with one tribe that you wanted the mount from or whatever) it's relatively easy to get some level 4 and the matter for that is like 3k per and goons can meld it for you.

And if you don't have capped beast tribe rep but really need a way to make gil, it might be something you should get on, since even if the materia market dies down (which it's almsot certain to) it's a minimum of 12 Ventures, 120 poetics, and 12 generic level IV materia that will be 10k forever at worst.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

You must defeat Gooch: the mighty grundle to proceed in purifying the taint.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Counterpoint, if you have capped beast tribe rep (even if it's only with one tribe that you wanted the mount from or whatever) it's relatively easy to get some level 4 and the matter for that is like 3k per and goons can meld it for you.

And if you don't have capped beast tribe rep but really need a way to make gil, it might be something you should get on, since even if the materia market dies down (which it's almsot certain to) it's a minimum of 12 Ventures, 120 poetics, and 12 generic level IV materia that will be 10k forever at worst.

Yeah I have rank 3 with four beast tribes, and I found out I can get IV materia from them so I'm doing that now.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Leaving this here for posterity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbeoFkOVWgE

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just beat the 2.0 MSQ and unlocked a shitload of poo poo. What should I do now?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
As I use all of these leve allowances and gil to get my crafters to 60, I'm curious. Is the blue level 60 set on the MB the best in slot or is there better gear from scrips or something?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Verranicus posted:

As I use all of these leve allowances and gil to get my crafters to 60, I'm curious. Is the blue level 60 set on the MB the best in slot or is there better gear from scrips or something?
Craftable is ilevel 170, red scrip turnin is 180 and has better stats than even HQ crafted in (I believe all, but definitely at least most) cases.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The 180 gear only has better stats than unmelded 170, but melded 170 is far better. If your goal is to do 3* crafts, you're going to need at least some melded 170 gear.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The problem is mostly that pentamelding crafting and gathering gear is absurdly, prohibitively expensive.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The problem is mostly that pentamelding crafting and gathering gear is absurdly, prohibitively expensive.

Eh, you make that money back, especially if you're an early-patch crafter.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do the scrip sets have unique appearances?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Verranicus posted:

Do the scrip sets have unique appearances?

Yes, it's the AF2 gear for crafters. i170 is dyable, i180 isn't.

(Also you can get away with 3 i170 pieces (the MH/OH/Body) for 3* crafting, but you'll need a lot of melds in your i150)

EDIT:

It works like this: i170 is crafted using 10-20 mats (5 for rings) bought with a combination of favour mats (collected by gatherers) and red scrips. i180 is identical in look, but has higher base stats, with the downside of having no meld slots. This is bought exclusively with red scrips.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 7, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saigyouji posted:

It works like this: i170 is crafted using 10-20 mats (5 for rings) bought with a combination of favour mats (collected by gatherers) and red scrips. i180 is identical in look, but has higher base stats, with the downside of having no meld slots. This is bought exclusively with red scrips.
This is a way better explanation than my tiny post was :shobon:

(and melding is super expensive, but worth it if you're planning on being a groundbreaking right-after-the-patch crafter when the requirements are comparatively high and the rewards are much higher because supply is much lower)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You don't need to pentameld to meet the required stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Augus posted:

I just beat the 2.0 MSQ and unlocked a shitload of poo poo. What should I do now?

• Keep going with the story. This is probably the most important.
  • Go to Ul'dah, talk with Wymond, and do the quest named 'A Gentleman Is, Rather Than Does' or something like it.
  • Unlock optional 50 dungeons; they're probably not going to be worth much for gearing, but they're fun and 50DR will get you a good chunk of stuff.

• Locked thread