Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Troposphere posted:

just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to a whole lot of people, people who made up probably the majority of the fiercely loyal fanbase of the show, and are probably going to quit watching now.

Uhh they kissed in the second-to-last episode of the second season, I would imagine most people were fans long before then. Pretty sure in a post apocalyptic show about murder teens from outer space fighting blood tribes, cannibals and mountain vampires, romance forms about the #67th reason to watch it. The vast, vast majority will not quit watching a show they've invested considerable time in in if a character dies, especially in a show as infamous about murdering characters left and right.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"All my lesbian friends have banged dudes."

Is the kind of reactions I'm seeing elsewhere.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

PriorMarcus posted:

Well how did you manage to stretch to identify with a lesbian who commands a nation and is a brutal killer? Is that more relateable to you?

What a weird wavy margin.

I identified with the part where she is a lesbian, how is that hard to understand

DarkCrawler posted:

Uhh they kissed in the second-to-last episode of the second season, I would imagine most people were fans long before then. Pretty sure in a post apocalyptic show about murder teens from outer space fighting blood tribes, cannibals and mountain vampires, romance forms about the #67th reason to watch it. The vast, vast majority will not quit watching a show they've invested considerable time in in if a character dies, especially in a show as infamous about murdering characters left and right.

lot's of people started watching the show because they heard about lexa and the show's representation. I know I did. lesbians will watch pretty much anything with lesbians in it, because it's so scarce to find that in mainstream media beyond boring lgbt romance movies

Rhyno posted:

"All my lesbian friends have banged dudes."

Is the kind of reactions I'm seeing elsewhere.

gross. lot's of lesbians have definitely had sex with men before they figured out they were gay, sure. if clarke decides that hey I don't like men after all! I will take back all the bad things I've said. well, maybe not. I would if she also killed bellamy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

gross. lot's of lesbians have definitely had sex with men before they figured out they were gay, sure. if clarke decides that hey I don't like men after all! I will take back all the bad things I've said. well, maybe not. I would if she also killed bellamy.

I mean, I got wasted with a lesbian friend of mine and we had sex but the next morning she was not happy with herself.

A question though, if Clarke does end up with Bellamy will that enrage the fanbase?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

A question though, if Clarke does end up with Bellamy will that enrage the fanbase?

the bellarkers will be happy. the ones that haven't already quit because of bellamy's character arc this season and the clexa stuff.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Rhyno posted:

About 3-5% of it.

What if Lexa is straight, but the ai controlling her brain is gay?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again, must gay characters be immortal and exempt from having bad things happen to them?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

zoux posted:

Again, must gay characters be immortal and exempt from having bad things happen to them?

if there were more gay characters on tv it wouldn't really be an issue but the fact of the matter is that there isn't and they often end up dead, and that's a problem

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jfood posted:

What if Lexa is straight, but the ai controlling her brain is gay?

Jesus, if the new Commander is like "hey hey hey Clarke" it might cause riots.

zoux posted:

I also want to know this.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, if the new Commander is like "hey hey hey Clarke" it might cause riots.

I think the new commander is an eight year-old. Thank gently caress that segment of the fanbase will be super quiet when he gets shanked.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The new Commander is either going to be that ~13 yr old boy or the Asgeda girl. If the kid starts trying to hit on Clarke it'll be gross. :)

Anyway, I never heard the show say "Lexa is a lesbian" so maybe she's just a Clarkesexual? Seems to have affected a few different characters on the show, really, usually ending in death. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, aren't all Commanders women?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

if there were more gay characters on tv it wouldn't really be an issue but the fact of the matter is that there isn't and they often end up dead, and that's a problem

Ok so until there are enough gay characters then they must be exempt from the rules of storytelling. That'll make writers want to write gay characters.

I'll admit that I didn't know much specifically about this trope but I assumed it was similar to "fridging", where poorly developed lgbt characters were grist for the narrative mill. I just googled it though, and it's not that, it's "gay characters aren't allowed to have happy endings" and it seems to be wholly constructed by the tvtropes community. What's the scholarship on it?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

the fact that they were all aware of the trope and discussed it and still thought they could get away with it is what really gets me. I can forgive ignorance but thinking you're special and that you can get away with burning a huge part of your fanbase and being surprised when there's a backlash...I just don't know what they thought was going to happen. I just hope they learn from it.

Get away with it? So gay characters must have a character shield and never die?

THEY'D BETTER LEARN, IF THEY KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR THEM!

:rolleyes:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

zoux posted:

Ok so until there are enough gay characters then they must be exempt from the rules of storytelling. That'll make writers want to write gay characters.

I'll admit that I didn't know much specifically about this trope but I assumed it was similar to "fridging", where poorly developed lgbt characters were grist for the narrative mill. I just googled it though, and it's not that, it's "gay characters aren't allowed to have happy endings" and it seems to be wholly constructed by the tvtropes community. What's the scholarship on it?

the scholarship is people with eyes who can see that gay characters often end up dead it really isn't that complicated

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Astroman posted:

Get away with it? So gay characters must have a character shield and never die?

THEY'D BETTER LEARN, IF THEY KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR THEM!

:rolleyes:

get away with it as in not have any backlash or criticism

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

hollylolly posted:

The new Commander is either going to be that ~13 yr old boy or the Asgeda girl. If the kid starts trying to hit on Clarke it'll be gross. :)

Anyway, I never heard the show say "Lexa is a lesbian" so maybe she's just a Clarkesexual? Seems to have affected a few different characters on the show, really, usually ending in death. :shrug:

The kid seems like an obvious red herring though. He's been groomed as some kind of super intelligent and competent commander so he and the other night bloods will probably all get killed leaving the Ice Nation girl as the only choice left.

Lexa had a girlfriend who the Ice Nation queen had killed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

Yeah next time they'll just make the character straight to begin with, much safer than taking any kind of a risk with a lgbt character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

And here I thought it was like the masked villain in a Scooby Doo episode.

"WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH KILLING ALL THOSE LESBIANS IF NOT FOR YOU MEDDLING KIDS"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

maybe this is one reason writers dont write more gay characters

because doing so basically ties their hands in terms of what can happen to those characters, and that's not healthy for any show when you have people who cannot be killed off (or face any other negative outcome) due to fear of criticism from a vocal part of the fanbase

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

maybe this is one reason writers dont write more gay characters

because doing so basically ties their hands in terms of what can happen to those characters, and that's not healthy for any show when you have people who cannot be killed off (or face any other negative outcome) due to fear of criticism from a vocal part of the fanbase

or maybe people should find other ways to develop gay characters than kill them? no one is forcing all these writers to kill their gay characters, and yet it keeps happening

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

hollylolly posted:

Kostia was also a girl, and she's the only other love interest mentioned for Lexa.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Spergatory posted:

Kostia was also a girl, and she's the only other love interest mentioned for Lexa.

Good point. :)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If writers went out of their way to avoid every 'trope', nothing would ever get written.

As a lesbian I 100% have empathy for how much it sucks when your fave gay character dies but not so much for the people who go batshit over it every time like they want all gay characters to be immortal or something, or like every time a gay character dies it's an affront to LGBT people everywhere.

There's a really great book and movie about people like that, one of my favourites. Misery. It's a cautionary tale, really.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

esperterra posted:

There's a really great book and movie about people like that, one of my favourites. Misery. It's a cautionary tale, really.

:bravo:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just imagine if every white 20-something straight male flew into a rage every time one of his own died in a film or tv show.

I'm not belittling, I'm saying imagine how hilarious it would be.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

hope and vaseline posted:

Funny how someone who's emphasizing empathy can't seem to comprehend that as part of the LGBT community we all pretty much face the same issues to varying extents and in fact bisexuals deal with a lot more poo poo than just plain homosexuals due to bi erasure and outright phobia from gays and lesbians but hey bisexuals aren't lesbians

This is a super bizarre post considering that equating bisexuality to being gay/lesbian (whichever is appropriate at the time) is like baby's first bi erasure

e: also people are still rolling out the "so ur saying all gays must be immortal huh!!!!!" strawman so lemme reword the point Troposphere is making: There's so little queer characters in media compared to straight characters so while there's way more deaths from the latter, the problem is that the percentage of queer characters getting ganked is kinda ridiculous. Like, 6 out of 10 is a way more notable number than 100 out of 1000, and maybe, just maybe, writers should look to change that. Okay im not sure i worded this rewording very well but there ya go

Monicro fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 7, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

or maybe people should find other ways to develop gay characters than kill them? no one is forcing all these writers to kill their gay characters, and yet it keeps happening

they had to write her off, which means no happy ending for her either way

are you able to comprehend this fact?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

they had to write her off, which means no happy ending for her either way

are you able to comprehend this fact?

can you comprehend that there are more ways to write off a character than a really dumb shock death?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

can you comprehend that there are more ways to write off a character than a really dumb shock death?

how would you have written her off?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

how would you have written her off?

I am not a writer for the 100 coming up with that is not my job

not by walking into a room at the wrong time right after she had sex that's for sure

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

I am not a writer for the 100 coming up with that is not my job

right, thought so

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

right, thought so

do you want me to write a fix it fanfiction because that's not really my thing but I assure you there are plenty being written or you're that interested

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

do you want me to write a fix it fanfiction

you complained about the way she died, and i asked you how you would have written her off

this doesn't mean i want you to write a fan fiction

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

i probably shouldn't but ngl im really enjoying the way this episode threw this thread into total anarchy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

There really is no other way to write Lexa off without it making little sense or just being sort of dumb imo. Sending her away indefinitely is silly, and even sillier would behaving her still be leader of the grounders/Clarke's lover but never in any episodes. If Lexa leaves we need a new commander, and to get a new one she has to die. Her dying also eventually had to happen to reveal the chip in her neck to the other characters. They could have gotten away with revealing it to only us via the scar, but only for so long before it needed to come out.

e: like really, writing her off in any other contrived way would be a much bigger disservice to her character imho than killing her ever could be. let alone killing her in a way that services moving the plot forward and impacts several characters in a profound way

esperterra fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Troposphere posted:

do you want me to write a fix it fanfiction because that's not really my thing but I assure you there are plenty being written or you're that interested

Do you think her death was thematically appropriate, pushed the characters around her forward organically and added to the ongoing narrative? Does any of that even concern you?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monicro posted:

This is a super bizarre post considering that equating bisexuality to being gay/lesbian (whichever is appropriate at the time) is like baby's first bi erasure

e: also people are still rolling out the "so ur saying all gays must be immortal huh!!!!!" strawman so lemme reword the point Troposphere is making: There's so little queer characters in media compared to straight characters so while there's way more deaths from the latter, the problem is that the percentage of queer characters getting ganked is kinda ridiculous. Like, 6 out of 10 is a way more notable number than 100 out of 1000, and maybe, just maybe, writers should look to change that. Okay im not sure i worded this rewording very well but there ya go

So what's an example of a well done and nonproblematic lgbt character death?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

So what's an example of a well done and nonproblematic lgbt character death?

I will answer this question as soon as you explain how that's an logical follow-up to that post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monicro posted:

I will answer this question as soon as you explain how that's an logical follow-up to that post

I don't think you can.

• Locked thread