Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, I have bag of Misc Seafood parts that I'd like to use nd get out of the freezer. Any suggestions?

I thought about chopping it up real fine, and making like, seafood biscuits?
or a gumbo, but dang if I can't find any recipes I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cioppino!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, I have bag of Misc Seafood parts that I'd like to use nd get out of the freezer. Any suggestions?

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/soondubu-jjigae

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Seafood like, fish, or seafood like shellfish bits? If fish, cioppino as coyo7e says is good; if shellfishy bits, how about a seafood pancake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXcsHj1l-Pc

Basically this recipe but also add seafood bits.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Seafood like, fish, or seafood like shellfish bits? If fish, cioppino as coyo7e says is good; if shellfishy bits, how about a seafood pancake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXcsHj1l-Pc

Basically this recipe but also add seafood bits.

Seafood doesn't work well if you're doing the long cut scallion pancake. I prefer this one:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ya-chae-jeon

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah -- there's a video of her actually doing a seafood pancake but it's from PBS and kinda boring; I just like that video (the takeaway is just chop all the stuff and mix it into the batter).

e: oh haha, "vegetable" pancake here means seafood. Ignore my laziness, follow that recipe. :)

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Hopper posted:

Bit late but I recently started teaching my best friend cooking basics. His daughter was just born and he finally wants to learn how to cook.
I figured it might be best to show him foundations he can use to apply to different recipes he finds.

Examples:
Rice 101: we cooked a simple dish with rice as a side, then a congee and then some time later we did a pumpkin risotto. I told him about different kinds of rice, water to rice ratios and how rice amount per person varies depending on the dish.

We did the same with fish, we did fish in the oven, fish in beer batter, and pan fried fish, next up is steamed.

An we started with meatballs for a pasta dish, then larger meatballs (Frikadellen in German) then advanced to burger patties.

We obviously do all these in mixed order to keep the meals varied.

The focus is on the main ingredient but he also learned about the other aspects, like how to make a beer batter, how to tell when pasta is done, how to properly use knives to not cut yourself etc.

While all these are really simple things, to him it was all new.

I don't know how good your BF basics are but I remember you mentioning his smoke alarm a lot ;-). Just like my buddy he may also benefit from simple basics that he can apply to other recipes.
Spices for example are important but most recipes list the amounts precisely in the ingredients list whereas "let simmer until onions are translucent" or something similar can be more difficult if you don't know what simmering means or what precisely a translucent onion looks like.

Yeah, he's apparently had instances with the smoke detector I wasn't previously aware of, but I think it's just a super sensitive detector. The hard part, as you mentioned, has been getting him to understand knife handling, understanding boiling vs. simmering, just soft/translucent/browned onions, etc. With spices, it's more of an improvised thing since I want him to understand how to modify recipes to suit his tastes, and I'm trying to teach him how to decide which spices would work well together in a given dish and how much to add.

Last night we made Beef Wellington, which was quite tasty if a bit on the shalloty side since he doesn't have a food processor, and his blender didn't mince the shallots quite enough. At least it was good practice for pastry.

I like the beer batter idea; that seems like something he'd definitely be interested in. He's afraid of deep frying so far, but perhaps the mention of cooking with beer will encourage him. :) But we'll probably start with fries for the first deep frying lesson since they're so simple.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Johnny Aztec posted:

Jambalaya

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I impulse purchased this half loin (lovingly dubbed "log of meat" by my partner) without even knowing what kind of meat it is or how to prepare it. It seems to be closest to tenderloin in that it's very lean? What are some good ways to cook this? I assume slow cooking is not the right answer with how lean it is.

e: I guess it's the first thing that comes when googling half loin, and it's a pork cut:

Jan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 7, 2016

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jan posted:

I impulse purchased this half loin (lovingly dubbed "log of meat" by my partner) without even knowing what kind of meat it is or how to prepare it. It seems to be closest to tenderloin in that it's very lean? What are some good ways to cook this? I assume slow cooking is not the right answer with how lean it is.

Pictures. Do you even know what animal it's from?

Edit: generic answer is slice thin and kbbq it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm making broiled Cornish hens with lemon and balsamic vinegar tomorrow, and I'm planning on serving it with some risotto. I'm not sure if the risotto will stand on its own or if I should add some veggies to it (I was thinking asparagus would be good), or if I should just do a separate veggie side. Suggestions, anybody?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Will this make better fried rice than an electric wok?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Johnny Aztec posted:

The correct answer here is bouillabaisse, a dish explicitly created for using up miscellaneous fish parts. Ignore anyone who says you need specific fish to do it, they are wrong

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 7, 2016

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Jan posted:

e: I guess it's the first thing that comes when googling half loin, and it's a pork cut:

It's a pork loin, a little more fatty than tenderloin but not by much and a lot of the fat is outside. Basic prep would be to season the outside and roast it to Medium in a 400ish oven. Advanced prep is to make a roulade by opening it up into a flat sheet with a knife, seasoning the whole flat surface with salt pepper herbs, garlic chile, rolling it back up and roasting it. It's also the cut that become pork chops so you can slice it and cook the slices if you like, possibly stuffing them. Could also be cubed up and used for something like pork stir fry, sweet and sour pork, etc. It's very versatile, just don't braise it.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 7, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My favorite thing to do with pork loin is to smoke it and then serve it room temperature or chilled; cubed, with toothpicks and cheeses.

But I'm more of a butt man :shobon:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pile of brown posted:

It's very versatile, just don't braise it.

Yep. The simplest thing to do is roast it: rub some nice flavor into it (really pretty much anything), stick in a probe thermometer, and stick it in the oven at like 350.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FishBulb posted:

I just bought a pressure cooker what's the first thing I should pressure cook in it

stock. cook all the stock.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

FishBulb posted:

I just bought a pressure cooker what's the first thing I should pressure cook in it

Caramelized Carrot Soup

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

pile of brown posted:

It's very versatile, just don't braise it.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to double check!

The roulade sounds great -- I'm thinking a mixture of onion, mushroom, bacon and garlic. With some potatoes around it during the roast.

It's also way more than we can reasonably eat in one sitting even with an extra portion or two for lunchboxes, so I guess the leftovers will get stir fried in a later course.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You probably want to saute those before putting them in.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Speaking of pork, I got a 9-pound bone-in Boston Butt yesterday and want to shred it all to freeze in reasonable portions to use for tacos, add BBQ sauce, etc. What is the best way to do this? I usually throw pork shoulder in the slow cooker but this one is too big.

My plan is to put it on a roasting rack and rub it with [blend of spices that seems good but versatile] and put it in a hot oven (450?) then turn the temp down to 225 for as many hours as it takes to become delicious and not poison.

Does anyone have a better way? Fat up or down or switch every once in a while? A side note is that my husband is extremely not into fat on meat so the more the fat renders away the better.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Braise inside a cast iron pan in the oven if you have a pot that's big enough

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Braise inside a cast iron pan in the oven if you have a pot that's big enough

I do not but I am willing to cut some off and use it for the Serious Eats carnitas recipe (which is delicious). Just add a beer and some onions and garlic and spices to the pot?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

I do not but I am willing to cut some off and use it for the Serious Eats carnitas recipe (which is delicious). Just add a beer and some onions and garlic and spices to the pot?

Like this imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAeYc6TlvA

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

My plan is to put it on a roasting rack and rub it with [blend of spices that seems good but versatile] and put it in a hot oven (450?) then turn the temp down to 225 for as many hours as it takes to become delicious and not poison.

Does anyone have a better way? Fat up or down or switch every once in a while? A side note is that my husband is extremely not into fat on meat so the more the fat renders away the better.

Do it the other way around -- slow cook at 250F until it's so tender it pulls apart with a fork, take it out and rest it while the oven heats up to 500F, then blast it, rotating it if needed so the skin is crisp on all sides.

It won't really render all the fat so you'll have to pull/trim some by hand, but the alternative is dried out meat.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Johnny Aztec posted:

Paella

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jan posted:

It'll probably be too late, but this recipe owns: http://www.aveceric.com/all-recipes/roasted-pork-loin-with-wild-mushrooms-garlic-sage-pan-jus

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To add to loin chat, I generally tie them to make them a little more cylindrical so they can cook more evenly. They otherwise have a tendency to flatten out a bit in the oven giving you dried out sides.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

FishBulb posted:

Carnitas! Go buy a huge pork butt and you can have that delicious pork melting apart for awesome tacos in like an hour.

Also, chicken stock.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fuzzknot posted:

I like the beer batter idea; that seems like something he'd definitely be interested in. He's afraid of deep frying so far, but perhaps the mention of cooking with beer will encourage him. :) But we'll probably start with fries for the first deep frying lesson since they're so simple.

Yeah I get that, I am not a big fan of large amounts of hot oil myself. This was maybe the 10th instance of me doing anything resembling deep frying and the first time on a gas stove. Plus I went for maximum caution, including long sleeves, aprons, splatter guard etc. just to make sure I taught my buddy respect when it comes to hot oil.

Fries are a good idea, I went with the fish because I find it is easier to keep temperature of the oil steady when frying 1-2 bits at a time as opposed to a random bunch of fries. But that's because I am not that experienced with deep frying myself and never did it on his stove or any gas stove before.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have this cooker:

http://amzn.com/B0073GIN08

I'm not really sure what question to ask. We use it as a slow cooker for pot roasts.

On low, a 1 lb chuck roast comes up to temp within 2 hours, and the liquid boils rapidly. Is this really low and slow enough? I know it's a small roast, but I have the same issue with larger roasts seeming to be overdone on the low setting.

People say to cook stuff for 8-10 hours sometimes? I think this thing would nuke them by then.

The meat tends to be ok, maybe a bit dry. Where are we going wrong?

Ok, I know what I'm asking. How the gently caress do I make pot roast in this thing? Or should I donate/recycle it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

What you have is a pressure cooker, a wildly different beast to a slow cooker/crock pot and with different cook times.

You can probably do the same sort of stuff (I've never used a pressure cooker myself) but you'd want to consult the manual for your cooker to find out approximate cook times and scale it based on that, rather than looking at slow cooker recipe times.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Ferret King posted:

I have this cooker:

http://amzn.com/B0073GIN08

I'm not really sure what question to ask. We use it as a slow cooker for pot roasts.

On low, a 1 lb chuck roast comes up to temp within 2 hours, and the liquid boils rapidly. Is this really low and slow enough? I know it's a small roast, but I have the same issue with larger roasts seeming to be overdone on the low setting.

People say to cook stuff for 8-10 hours sometimes? I think this thing would nuke them by then.

The meat tends to be ok, maybe a bit dry. Where are we going wrong?

Ok, I know what I'm asking. How the gently caress do I make pot roast in this thing? Or should I donate/recycle it?

According to a very quick google search, a pressure cooker will have a pot roast done in half an hour.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The slow cooker function doesn't pressurize the enclosure.

It does many things... maybe I linked the wrong model. No, that's the one. Not all functions on it are pressurized. The slow cooker mode is supposed to act like a crock pot.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 9, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

The slow cooker function doesn't pressurize the enclosure.

It does many things... maybe I linked the wrong model. No, that's the one. Not all functions on it are pressurized. The slow cooker mode is supposed to act like a crock pot.

I haven't had any problems using both the pressurized modes and the slow cooker modes. But I use pressure cooking way more often -- when it comes to slow cooking, I'd much rather rely on my trusty old dutch oven.

If I had to venture a guess, are you adding any liquid for your cook? Slow cooking always involves a ton of liquid, more like a braise than anything.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, maybe not enough liquid. I don't know, my wife usually sets it up while I'm at work.

We'll stop using it for the slow cooker stuff I think and try a dutch oven. Thanks.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 9, 2016

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Pepper chat!

This summer I will be growing cayenne peppers, bhut jolokia (ghost peppers) and Carolina reapers. In the past, I have dried cayennes and ground them up into chile powder. Not sure what to do with the 2 hotter chiles, I'm pretty sure the growing environment in Tennessee won't get them to their hottest, but even so they are freaking hot. I'm thinking a mix of chile powders and hot sauce, but I am open to ideas. Suggestions?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Oil is surely the only use for those scovilles.

I have a question about jolokia and reapers, do they taste good? I am drying some Trinidad scorpions. I tasted a tiny bit of one that I harvested for seeds, and before it blew my head off it tasted amazing. Cant wait for the oil!

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 9, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I haven't had a reaper but the ghost peppers I've had have had a really distinctive taste that I quite liked. I'm bad at describing flavors so it doesn't really help but yeah, it's definitely got a taste outside of just "hot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Not as delicious as habaneros, but Ghost peppers definitely have a distinct flavor.