Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
As a thread lurker, there's something I haven't been able to figure out. Where did the whole 'parp' thing come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lime Tonics posted:

I think he means the hilarity triples every second in the best way imaginable, you are the reverse stimperor.

If all hands are seriously just devoting 90% of their time to SQ42 and nothing else, I can not wait to see patch 2.3. In 6 months...

Ah right, of course!

I expect the PU to get worse if I am honest, everytime they do something noteworthy it breaks

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Samizdata posted:

What the hell did Hamill ever do yo you to deserve that treatment, huh?

In my fanfic she makes him wear the joker makeup and do the voice (46 chapters written)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ambaire posted:

As a thread lurker, there's something I haven't been able to figure out. Where did the whole 'parp' thing come from?

gary oldman's face and the noise you would assume he is making

:gary: :yarg:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

alf_pogs posted:

gary oldman's face and the noise you would assume he is making

:gary: :yarg:

And.. yeah, how did gary oldman get associated with parp? I guess what I'm asking is, how did he take off in this thread like that?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Sadly it was not meant to be. I feel however there may be more opportunities to come in the future.

I really hope so. You helped that paralyzed man immensely. He was probably sitting there thanking you for moving him around. Its hard to be immersed when your playing as a paralyzed commando with 0 motor functions.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ambaire posted:

started with hoodwinkedfool using an airhorn for comedic effect in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE.

then pgabz I think made this:

In conclusion: its an onomatopoeia.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr Fronts posted:

I have calculated...

h = 3 x s

where

h = hilarity
s = time in seconds

So, you are saying we need to add :pgabz: to the Stimperial Lore Masters?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

where pgabz is concerned, the hilarity really does triple every second.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Samizdata posted:

So, you are saying we need to add :pgabz: to the Stimperial Lore Masters?

Well, we do have direct video evidence of a de-skeletoned commando being found in pgabz' quarters.

It's not like the guy could have let himself in like that.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S01H7NIAd4

THIS DAY IN THREAD HISTORY (if it's already the 7th where you live)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BeefThief posted:

So wait, they have a countdown timer to vote on what the most important issue in the issue council is, and the issue that won the vote when the countdown timer ran out was an issue saying the countdown timer was broken and started counting up when it ran out instead of tallying votes and forwarding the issue to CIG. To rectify this, they set the timer back two days and it ran out again and started counting up? And the timers had been doing that for months?

This is the kind of thing that pushes it over the line of incompetence to outright scam territory. If there was literally one person on the team that gave a poo poo they would have done something, anything to correct the problem. Instead they said, "here's two more days, gently caress off" and did nothing. They have contempt for the backers.

:lol:

I am more interested on the logistics of how the gently caress does your countdown become a countup? Like, the common problem a loving noob of a programmer would get into is that the countdown won't stop and you'll go from positive numbers into zero then into the negatives. But having it count back up? That requires some skills. The dolts used absolute numbers to "fix" negatives, right?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 7, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

I am more interested on the logistics of how the gently caress does your countdown become a countup? Like, the common problem a loving noob of a programmer would get into is that the countdown won't stop and you'll go from positive numbers into zero then into the negatives. But having it count back up? That requires some skills. The dolts used absolute numbers to "fix" negatives, right?

I call it The Transverse Effect

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I want this poster to post.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can I coin the term Groanard gamers

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yet another feature they'll code: prison breaks (I bet they'll have the best stealth game-play)

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

trucutru posted:

I am more interested on the logistics of how the gently caress does your countdown become a countup?/spoiler]

The word logistics implies honest intent

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

where pgabz is concerned, the hilarity really does triple every second.

I thought his video gimmick was getting little long in tooth, starting to wonder if old Gabz was washed up but then comes the T-Pose Titanic, another disaster which coincidentally may not have been as bad if chairs weren't removed. This is PGabz's beating the Soviets (well their best boxer anyway) moment to me.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S01H7NIAd4

Someone, please drag that guy to this thread and lets figure out how many thousands hes spent on this game and whether or not its disability pay. My bet is yes, it is.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

Someone, please drag that guy to this thread and lets figure out how many thousands hes spent on this game and whether or not its disability pay. My bet is yes, it is.

The American and German welfare systems have pretty much funded this thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

trucutru posted:

Yet another feature they'll code: prison breaks (I bet they'll have the best stealth game-play)

I am absolutely certain at one point the Crobbler (in a daring display of saying no to an 'immersive' feature) said that the bounty hunter pods in the Avenger wouldn't force the other player to sit around until you turned in the bounty.

I guess he meant they'd be magically transported to a prison instead where they would also have to sit around in a box.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

I think he eventually came to his senses, though he hasn't posted since like early last year

Hope he got a refund.

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD: WHEN WAS THE MOMENT YOU CAME TO YOUR SENSES?

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 7, 2016

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

A short film about love and companionship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83akkQ4FvSs

How long does it take you to get that amount of footage?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

For the sake of discussion. Things seemed exceptionally troubled for some time. The failure to roll out Arena Commander was the first substantial red flag given the unmitigated hype that had gone into its impending release, including the rollout of the Super Hornet and various other bits of marketing effort to capitalize on our impending ability to actually play a game.

But, ultimately, the reason it became apparent that it was time to get the poo poo out was deeply ingrained in the Cutlass and resulting thread. A game element that was released hilariously below expected quality wasn't good but, you know, it's not the final nail. But the months of opportunity and tremendous effort on the part of the Star Citizen community to provide CIG with the chance to be on the level was met with sneering contempt and lazy fabrication.

Having written off the community team as useless and their communication strategy entirely focused on making the next dollar I still hoped against hope that something good would come of the whole affair, so I decided to wait until the Star Marine release date to make a final decision on CIG's ability to deliver. I'd given them a tremendous amount of leeway so far and, hey, there's no way they could gently caress up the years long production of a FPS for cryengine.

Welp. At least I didn't wait for them to finally announce that it was cancelled nearly a year later.

Thankfully the Escapist reared its head and delivered an outlet for refunds. In retrospect I gave them way too many chances to bring things to the right. But oh well.

e; I apologize for writing this.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 7, 2016

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

For most of us it was probably after Derek got a refund, opening the floodgates for refund requests.

For Sasparilla (or whatever), it was after he got a refund then bought back in for another $2,500 and got denied a second refund.

LOL.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I think he eventually came to his senses, though he hasn't posted since like early last year

Hope he got a refund.

It was when I finally joined SA that I really started following what was going on, or rather, reading up on everyone else following what was going on. My previous dealing with SC were primarily fleecing people on the grey market (which is what got me to buy in in the first place) and checking the RSI homepage for anything that looked interesting, it wasn't untill I read one of the previous itterations of this thread that I understood the extent of how badly things were going.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

For the sake of discussion. Things seemed exceptionally troubled for some time. The failure to roll out Arena Commander was the first substantial red flag given the unmitigated hype that had gone into its impending release, including the rollout of the Super Hornet and various other bits of marketing effort to capitalize on our impending ability to actually play a game.

But, ultimately, the reason it became apparent that it was time to get the poo poo out was deeply ingrained in the Cutlass and resulting thread. A game element that was released hilariously below expected quality wasn't good but, you know, it's not the final nail. But the months of opportunity and tremendous effort on the part of the Star Citizen community to provide CIG with the chance to be on the level was met with sneering contempt and lazy fabrication.

Having written off the community team as useless and their communication strategy entirely focused on making the next dollar I still hoped against hope that something good would come of the whole affair, so I decided to wait until the Star Marine release date to make a final decision on CIG's ability to deliver. I'd given them a tremendous amount of leeway so far and, hey, there's no way they could gently caress up the years long production of a FPS for cryengine.

Welp. At least I didn't wait for them to finally announce that it was cancelled nearly a year later.

Thankfully the Escapist reared its head and delivered an outlet for refunds. In retrospect I gave them way too many chances to bring things to the right. But oh well.

e; I apologize for writing this.

Is there a summary on what happened with the Cutlass? I've seen it mentioned a few times but I was basically not reading SC threads whenever that went down.

For me it was somewhere around the time they wrapped up their kickstarter and decided they'd build their own continued "fundraising" system and more rewards and more more more. By the end of the kickstarter month the scope of the game was looking pretty huge, and hearing that they were just going to keep going forever in doing more and more "FOR US!" sounded like a big load of crap. I basically checked out at that point.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Hope he got a refund.

Mine was a slow process of erosion. I always had serious reservations about such stupidly expensive game assets, but hey after all 'it's just a pledge bro'. Fine. Come .08 AC release though, and controls were in a complete shambles state that req
citizens to script their own loving .xml files just to have basic functionality was, well less than impressive.

It took them like a goddamn year before we didn't have to make our own .xml's (at least the community stepped in and started making gui based .xml generating tools by then), but by then the flight model was so poo poo that it didn't even matter. The whole
thing felt like a bait and switch similar to pgi pulled with the Artemis/MWO. Make it seem as if joysticks and poo poo mattered, only to turn around and make a game so clearly built around zero-order mouse inputs, later justified with a 'too big to fail' mentality
where they started stating fps players needed to be instant ace pilots.

Blood pressure rising.

Another year of participating in controls/flight model threads with cig's official position only demonstrating no one there knew a drat thing about controls or cared about making the 'sim' they beat their chest about (Travis Day was the only 'sim' guy on staff,
everyone else is a console or fps guy) immersion and joysticks yet making Freelancer2.0 instead only further backed me into my corner, but the straw that broke this camels back was the broken issues council and the realization that it was nothing more than
a smokescreeen to keep funding rolling.

No one at CIG noticed for what turned out to be months, then nothing but lip service once pointed out and that's what sealed the deal for me and I realized hope was a four letter word and popped.

mfw:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i was lucky enough to have zero interest in it until someone at worked (not a backer, but a vague videogame enthusiast) mentioned it after i was expressing a desire to play elite: dangerous. that lead me to the SA thread, the rest was glorious history.

but it makes me wonder: how many people do you think there are who are still solid Model Star Citizens through and through? like they're definitely awful and vocal and loud, but surely the number of people who have bailed on this (either gotten a refund, actively campaigining against, or forgotten all about it) far outnumber the few still on beckoned knee at the altar

i just can't imagine how they're making such a huge amount of money on some days, where and why these people are getting sucked in.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I got tired of having to re-download the game client over and over to have it fail verification. They really improved the head bob, but it's still there. They fixed the crashes somewhat last patch, but they are back again. The game hasn't really changed since I left it, besides a few half assed ships and a few more ~missions~ to do. The added wanted system is dumb too, you want to PvP but don't do it too much or we will kick you. The stuck doors, broken geometry, broken ships, I had it. I consider myself lucky in regards that I was on the tail end of the refund window, if I waited ~2 weeks~ more, I would have probably been denied.

I used to want this game to succeed, but the blatant lying especially Ben on the chair thing, bad management, the community and a million small other things really changed me to want this game to be a crater in the ground. An almost 110 million dollar crater.

paarp.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I was told Star Citizen was a thing three years ago by a true believer and it sounded stupid as all hell back then too. This was before learning anything further about Star Citizen because it sounded like a cult then too.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The second I learned Chris Roberts was behind the wheel.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Is there a summary on what happened with the Cutlass? I've seen it mentioned a few times but I was basically not reading SC threads whenever that went down.

For me it was somewhere around the time they wrapped up their kickstarter and decided they'd build their own continued "fundraising" system and more rewards and more more more. By the end of the kickstarter month the scope of the game was looking pretty huge, and hearing that they were just going to keep going forever in doing more and more "FOR US!" sounded like a big load of crap. I basically checked out at that point.

From what I've gathered in this here thread, the Cutlass was proposed as the "maneuverable pirate ship" of Star Citizen. Through a process of dev meddling (I think Ben was involved) it became the ambulance and police van instead of the rad bootleggers car. The ludicrous thruster modeling that CIG insists on instead of just faking it and making it fun to fly resulted in a poor handling not-pirate ship.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mr Fronts posted:

I have calculated...

h = 3 x s

where

h = hilarity
s = time in seconds

it is actually a recurrence relation.

h[t+1] = 3 x h[t]

Much like pain the stimpire, there was no time where there was zero hilarity. It just triples in power every second until you die.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'll give you the shortest possible rundown.

It was late. It was released broken and unfinished, in terrible quality and not representative of the source material at all. CIG said a bunch of stuff, some was obviously untrue at the time and the rest proved to be untrue later on. CIG then went silent for about a year. During this time the ship was released into Arena Commander. It was and remains a lemon. CIG made a thread soliciting feedback, they were given a comprehensive breakdown of a year's worth of feedback. They locked that thread and made a new one, asking for simple Q&A such as if we wondered if the ship could be made different colors and if we could use the toilet or not.

The Cutlass thread was then moved to a new hell created to store peoples feedback over ships. As virtually every instance of dreams turned to reality bombarded Ben with a need to stop ruminating on Wing Commander and address the people that he had lied to so his boss could make a movie. The Cutlass thread was thereafter locked.

The saga culminated in CIG announcing that another ship would be sold later that would do everything they said the Cutlass would do. Details to follow.

Somewhere in there is a bunch of stuff that happened in the... Third? Largest thread on the RSI forum. At least in general. Something like that.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

From what I've gathered in this here thread, the Cutlass was proposed as the "maneuverable pirate ship" of Star Citizen. Through a process of dev meddling (I think Ben was involved) it became the ambulance and police van instead of the rad bootleggers car. The ludicrous thruster modeling that CIG insists on instead of just faking it and making it fun to fly resulted in a poor handling not-pirate ship.

The Cutlass variants and the things evolution in general appears to have been the brainchild of Ben. He did not respond well to his genius sparking the largest font of negative feedback collected in one place on the forum.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 7, 2016

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I was blissfully unaware about the trainwreck, and then I met a couple ex-cig employees who pointed me at the writings of mr. smart and confirmed that he's completely right.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

hmmmm, the moment? it's so hard to pin down an exact moment when you look back on a years-long a saga like this. it's so reductive.

but probably I'd have to say the moment I loaded up a kickstarter page and felt like I had accidentally clicked into a bad F2P cash shop, rather than a community-funded game development effort.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Hope he got a refund.

When I said to myself "Browsing 'Games' sounds like a great idea!"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

I am more interested on the logistics of how the gently caress does your countdown become a countup? Like, the common problem a loving noob of a programmer would get into is that the countdown won't stop and you'll go from positive numbers into zero then into the negatives. But having it count back up? That requires some skills.

Not really, it's fairly simple.
You count an absolute offset from a timestamp, i.e. something like $daysLeft = abs( $expiryDate - $currentDate), and when current date surpasses the expiry date (count reaches zero), it will start counting up.

What it really should be: $daysLeft = max(0, $expiryDate - $currentDate).

That way, it's not stripped of its sign and once the numbers go negative, it will be floored to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

I'll give you the shortest possible rundown.

It was late. It was released broken and unfinished, in terrible quality and not representative of the source material at all. CIG said a bunch of stuff, some was obviously untrue at the time and the rest proved to be untrue later on. CIG then went silent for about a year. During this time the ship was released into Arena Commander. It was and remains a lemon. CIG made a thread soliciting feedback, they were given a comprehensive breakdown of a year's worth of feedback. They locked that thread and made a new one, asking for simple Q&A such as if we wondered if the ship could be made different colors and if we could use the toilet or not.

The Cutlass thread was then moved to a new hell created to store peoples feedback over ships. As virtually every instance of dreams turned to reality bombarded Ben with a need to stop ruminating on Wing Commander and address the people that he had lied to so his boss could make a movie. The Cutlass thread was thereafter locked.

The saga culminated in CIG announcing that another ship would be sold later that would do everything they said the Cutlass would do. Details to follow.

Somewhere in there is a bunch of stuff that happened in the... Third? Largest thread on the RSI forum. At least in general. Something like that.

The Cutlass variants and the things evolution in general appears to have been the brainchild of Ben. He did not respond well to his genius sparking the largest font of negative feedback collected in one place on the forum.

So basically the cutlass was the pre-alpha to screwing up the Scout?

• Locked thread