Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rukus posted:

A friend of mine's PVR eSata bit the dust recently, too. I just opened it up and replaced the drive with another I had and it worked fine (it was a Seagate and it took a WD drive all the same). See if you can't open it up and replace the drive with a desktop model for cheap. Just make sure that your RPMs match, as a higher RPM drive would pull more power than the wall-wart could provide.

Depending on how the Fantom died you might even be able to save the recordings if the drive is still working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
They're just glorified enclosures with an included drive, so more than likely the HDD is what's dead and not the enclosure's connector.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rukus posted:

They're just glorified enclosures with an included drive, so more than likely the HDD is what's dead and not the enclosure's connector.

Yes, makes sense. In that case the last chance for easy recovery is a replacement PCB if the drive doesn't have a mechanical fault.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I'm setting up a network at my new apartment. I'm using Australia's National Broadband Network which means that the connector box I'll be plugging my router into is far from my study, and which means that I won't be able to use a physical connection between my computer and my router any more. So I'm looking at wifi-enabling my desktop.

I'm getting set up with a 25/5 Mbps connection trhgou my plan, and the included router is a TG-1 broadband router.

I know that my options are pretty much a PCI card or a USB aerial. At the speeds that the connection that I'll have (LOL @ what passes for high-speed in Australia) and my router will allow, is there any real benefit in getting a PCI card, or will the USB wifi adapter do?

e: IO should mention there's no line of sight between there the router will be and the study...

Breetai fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 2, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Would a pair of homeplug adaptors do the job?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If the router is physically in your apartment, you can run a cable. Ethernet can do 100 meter runs no problem. Just staple the cable to the ceiling or somewhere similarly inconspicuous.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

DeaconBlues posted:

Would a pair of homeplug adaptors do the job?

Now that's something I've never seen before. Hmm. The building is fairly old and I'm not sure as to the quality of the wiring - would that have an effect?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

dis astranagant posted:

If the router is physically in your apartment, you can run a cable. Ethernet can do 100 meter runs no problem. Just staple the cable to the ceiling or somewhere similarly inconspicuous.

Hmm. Not sure. My unit layout is this: red box in the living area is the NBN box, red box in the study is where my desk will go. Living room is about 3 meters vertically and picture is roughly to scale. Trouble is that stapling anything to the ceiling will likely breach the terms of my lease - I suppose if worse comes to worst I can tape it in a line from the box, across the bedroom door with a rug over it, and around the back end of the study.

Given the layout/lack of line of sight, would wifi even be an option? I also have an old wall-socket mounted network extender, by the by.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

Breetai posted:

Now that's something I've never seen before. Hmm. The building is fairly old and I'm not sure as to the quality of the wiring - would that have an effect?

The quality of the wiring will have an effect. In my last place the whole house was a bit old and run down and I got a slower speed than I do now, in a more well maintained house. I was still getting at least 4MB/s in the old place when transferring files from downstairs to upstairs, IIRC.

It's worth a shot I'd say.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

DeaconBlues posted:

The quality of the wiring will have an effect. In my last place the whole house was a bit old and run down and I got a slower speed than I do now, in a more well maintained house. I was still getting at least 4MB/s in the old place when transferring files from downstairs to upstairs, IIRC.

It's worth a shot I'd say.

Hmm. I might mcgyver a diagnostic by running my mobile off of wifi and tethering it to my computer via USB once I move in to check the difference in signal strength from the front room to the study, and busk it from there.

Thanks for the advice, all!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Breetai posted:

My house is old with OG wiring. well as being lath-n-plaster, so it's like a worst-case scenario for non-wired network speed. Anything that's not-line-of-sight has terrible and unreliable throughput, no matter whether it's G, N, or AC.
Powerline adapters work reliably even with the old wiring, but the speed ends up much lower than the rating. The 300Mb/sec setup I have will run -stably- at about 20Mb/sec, which is enough for my HTPC to to pull compressed files from my NAS and give me HD video-watching ability that doesn't flake out.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Homeplug is more reliable than wifi IME. I have no idea if Australian homes are wired with coaxial cable for TV. If your place is, you could look into Moca adapters that transmit ethernet over coax cable.

As for internet vs USB wifi, in my experience the USB ones seem to overheat and slow down if you hammer on them (downloading a Steam game for example) while the PCI(e) ones keep on trucking. The USB ones allow more freedom in antenna location (via USB extension cable).

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
On a related note, if you only have 1 socket for TV, PC and powerline adaptor am I right in thinking that it's better for throughput to use a cheap 4-way extension rather than a one that claims to have anti-surge and features an LED?

I use the cheap ones under the assumption that they are straight connections clamped together inside and the lack of LED (or other features) ensures that there is nothing to introduce noise to the signal path. Does this sound feasible?

I'm in UK, so talking primarily about UK 3-pin power extensions, but I guess US/NZ have the same items.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My brother's Dell XPS 15 9550 (Core i7-6700, GTX960M) seems to get really hot when he plays Street Fighter V. The CPU temp managed to get all the way up to 90C+ and I've seen the CPU throttle down to 800MHz a few times, causing SFV to run really slow (SFV does that thing if the machine isn't powerful enough, it runs the game in like slow motion instead of it stuttering or running jerky). I've remedied the issue temporarily by telling him to point a fan at his laptop, and it worked as he was able to play fairly long sessions doing that, but both he and I agreed that's a pretty ghetto solution lol.

Is it normal for the i7-6700 to get that hot when gaming? Should he be concerned? It idles at roughly 40C and performance is solid for doing regular PC tasks. It's a fairly new model, so I haven't really found any evidence showing that the laptop runs overly hot when gaming. He also has two monitors connected to it while he has it hooked up to play games; one connected via the HDMI port and another via the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port (using a USB-C to HDMI dongle). Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 3, 2016

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

DeaconBlues posted:

On a related note, if you only have 1 socket for TV, PC and powerline adaptor am I right in thinking that it's better for throughput to use a cheap 4-way extension rather than a one that claims to have anti-surge and features an LED?

It doesn't matter what you use as long as the powerline adapter is connected directly to the wall, and whatever you need to power goes through the passthru port on the powerline adapter. Putting anything between the powerline adapter and the wall, even an extension cord, can degrade the signal.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

teagone posted:

My brother's Dell XPS 15 9550 (Core i7-6700, GTX960M) seems to get really hot when he plays Street Fighter V. The CPU temp managed to get all the way up to 90C+

is hyperthreading on?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

teagone posted:

My brother's Dell XPS 15 9550 (Core i7-6700, GTX960M) seems to get really hot when he plays Street Fighter V. The CPU temp managed to get all the way up to 90C+ and I've seen the CPU throttle down to 800MHz a few times, causing SFV to run really slow (SFV does that thing if the machine isn't powerful enough, it runs the game in like slow motion instead of it stuttering or running jerky). I've remedied the issue temporarily by telling him to point a fan at his laptop, and it worked as he was able to play fairly long sessions doing that, but both he and I agreed that's a pretty ghetto solution lol.

Is it normal for the i7-6700 to get that hot when gaming? Should he be concerned? It idles at roughly 40C and performance is solid for doing regular PC tasks. It's a fairly new model, so I haven't really found any evidence showing that the laptop runs overly hot when gaming. He also has two monitors connected to it while he has it hooked up to play games; one connected via the HDMI port and another via the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port (using a USB-C to HDMI dongle). Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Throttling under load is expected for the Dell XPS 15 9550, it's rare to find a gaming laptop that can actually dissipate the heat generated during gaming. You'll likely be able to significantly improve things by getting a cooling stand so that the intake fans on the underside of the laptop have more room to suck air through. Do make sure the latest BIOS is installed and see if there are any fan control options anywhere.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

teagone posted:

My brother's Dell (Core i7-6700, GTX960M) seems to get really hot when he plays Street Fighter V. The CPU temp managed to get all the way up to 90C+ and I've seen the CPU throttle down to 800MHz a few times, causing SFV to run really slow (SFV does that thing if the machine isn't powerful enough, it runs the game in like slow motion instead of it stuttering or running jerky). I've remedied the issue temporarily by telling him to point a fan at his laptop, and it worked as he was able to play fairly long sessions doing that, but both he and I agreed that's a pretty ghetto solution lol.

Laptops generally have poo poo cooling solutions (there's only so much you can do when you're limited by a 1" or slimmer chassis) so he's going to have to compromise somewhere. He might try a cooling pad (not suggesting that model in particular, just using it as an example) or sometimes just elevating the back of the laptop so there's more than an eighth of an inch or less between the fan inlet and the desk can make a big difference.

He might also want to back the graphics settings off until the system stops overheating.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

schizopol posted:

is hyperthreading on?

I would assume so. My brother is not one to tinker with the settings at all, so I'd wager that HT is on by default.

Alereon posted:

Throttling under load is expected for the Dell XPS 15 9550, it's rare to find a gaming laptop that can actually dissipate the heat generated during gaming. You'll likely be able to significantly improve things by getting a cooling stand so that the intake fans on the underside of the laptop have more room to suck air through. Do make sure the latest BIOS is installed and see if there are any fan control options anywhere.

Thanks for that link. Not sure why I couldn't find that article haha. Next time he comes over or if I stop by his place, I'll be sure to poke around the BIOS. What specific options should I be looking for in there regarding fan control?

Geoj posted:

Laptops generally have poo poo cooling solutions (there's only so much you can do when you're limited by a 1" or slimmer chassis) so he's going to have to compromise somewhere. He might try a cooling pad (not suggesting that model in particular, just using it as an example) or sometimes just elevating the back of the laptop so there's more than an eighth of an inch or less between the fan inlet and the desk can make a big difference.

He might also want to back the graphics settings off until the system stops overheating.

That cooling pad looks decent. Any other recommendations? I figure the $15 one that came up on Amazon on a quick search is likely poo poo. Either way, I've just texted him that he should get a cooling pad/stand, and I'll let him know which one. Thanks for the help! :3:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just picked up a Dell Chromebox and I can't seem to find any specs on the wired ethernet controller. Not on any of the dell manuals or 3rd party reviews. Also I couldn't find the chipset from the main board itself (must be a hard to see SoC) and not through ChromeOS either(no details given for eth0).

If it means anything its Haswell Celeron 2955U.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

I just picked up a Dell Chromebox and I can't seem to find any specs on the wired ethernet controller. Not on any of the dell manuals or 3rd party reviews. Also I couldn't find the chipset from the main board itself (must be a hard to see SoC) and not through ChromeOS either(no details given for eth0).

If it means anything its Haswell Celeron 2955U.
I think it's a Realtek RTL8168.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

I think it's a Realtek RTL8168.

Thanks.....how did you find it???

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks.....how did you find it???
It pretty much has to be either Intel or Realtek, and I found this thread here by a guy with an RTL8168 in his machine. It's no sure thing, but I think that makes it most likely.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's a solid fast external hard drive? Not worried about price. Don't want anything power hungry or that stays on 24/7. Going to be hooked up to my surface pro dock. I don't really do :filez: so I suppose 2 or maybe 3 tb is about all I need. Something semi-portable. Slimmer the better

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you want something that isn't likely to get damaged, Samsung's Portable SSDs. You can get a 1tb for $300 out a 2tb for $900. At that price though, you're better off buying three 1tb.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Any recommendations for a color laser printer? For an office with a couple of commercial b+w lasers, so it won't get a ton of use except for doing color pages. Page per minute isn't as important as overall nice quality and reliability, I suppose. Edge-to-edge printing would be really nice, but not top priority.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SlayVus posted:

If you want something that isn't likely to get damaged, Samsung's Portable SSDs. You can get a 1tb for $300 out a 2tb for $900. At that price though, you're better off buying three 1tb.

Are they efficient enough these days to be dedicated backup/storage?

SSD speeds do sound nice, price be damned

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
According to the overclocking thread, I shouldn't let my 2500k go over 72 degrees under Prime95 testing.

I bumped up my overclock from 4.2ghz to 4.8ghz (which seems stable). The only issue is I'm getting about 78 degrees max temp under heavy load.

The thing is that I'm overclocking the poo poo out of it simply because it doesn't matter to me if my CPU doesn't last another year: I plan on upgrading my CPU around June.

Do you think my CPU can last until June with those temps?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
If you think you're in danger of cooking it by June I'd say turn the sucker down and save it because it could be useful in a home server or as a donation to someone who needs a decent machine for general use.

As for the temps I have no idea.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Swartz posted:

According to the overclocking thread, I shouldn't let my 2500k go over 72 degrees under Prime95 testing.

I bumped up my overclock from 4.2ghz to 4.8ghz (which seems stable). The only issue is I'm getting about 78 degrees max temp under heavy load.

The thing is that I'm overclocking the poo poo out of it simply because it doesn't matter to me if my CPU doesn't last another year: I plan on upgrading my CPU around June.

Do you think my CPU can last until June with those temps?
What test are you seeing those temps in? 78C is in no way concerning, but if it's reaching that temperature on a low-load test then it will likely crash or throttle under heavy load.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Swartz posted:

If you're only seeing that temperature while running a Prime95 (or similar) stress test I wouldn't worry too much because most applications - even high end games - you use on a regular basis aren't going to peg the CPU across all cores for extended periods.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it was in Prime95. I'm not going to worry then.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Swartz posted:

Yeah it was in Prime95. I'm not going to worry then.
Prime95 lets you run different kinds of tests that stress the system in different ways. The Small FFT test in particular will cause higher voltage and power draw, so while you need to make sure the CPU isn't crashing, throttling, or getting dangerously hot, you don't need to worry about keeping it at a safe 24/7 temp or anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I want a few more USB ports. Should I just buy a USB 3.0 hub or a PCI card? Pros/cons to either? Recommendations?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

slidebite posted:

I want a few more USB ports. Should I just buy a USB 3.0 hub or a PCI card? Pros/cons to either? Recommendations?

Buying a USB 3.0 PCI Express card is probably a better idea if you have room rather than slapping another hub on your existing 3.0 ports. Less liklihood of getting something that is flaky that way.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

If you're only seeing that temperature while running a Prime95 (or similar) stress test I wouldn't worry too much because most applications - even high end games - you use on a regular basis aren't going to peg the CPU across all cores for extended periods.

R6 Siege is the only game that I've seen max out a CPU during a match. It's pretty astounding actually.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BigFactory posted:

Any recommendations for a color laser printer? For an office with a couple of commercial b+w lasers, so it won't get a ton of use except for doing color pages. Page per minute isn't as important as overall nice quality and reliability, I suppose. Edge-to-edge printing would be really nice, but not top priority.

Printer Questions Megathread

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

fishmech posted:

Buying a USB 3.0 PCI Express card is probably a better idea if you have room rather than slapping another hub on your existing 3.0 ports. Less liklihood of getting something that is flaky that way.

Any recommendations?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My T430 stopped powering on, but I'm pretty sure I left it in sleep mode so the battery might have run out. I have a multimeter and want to test the knockoff power brick and see if that went bad before I look at getting a replacement motherboard, especially because replacing a motherboard in a laptop is like stabbing yourself in the dick for an hour. The thing is, the plug looks like this:

I only see one pin, so where would I touch to check for voltage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My T430 stopped powering on, but I'm pretty sure I left it in sleep mode so the battery might have run out. I have a multimeter and want to test the knockoff power brick and see if that went bad before I look at getting a replacement motherboard, especially because replacing a motherboard in a laptop is like stabbing yourself in the dick for an hour. The thing is, the plug looks like this:

I only see one pin, so where would I touch to check for voltage?

The inside and outside of the barrel plug aren't connected to each other. Inside should be 20V DC, outside should be ground. The center pin has a specified resistance to ground, that the system uses to tell the power output of the adapter.