Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crabtree posted:

I just want more action themed shows to return. If it's Young Justice I'll give it another shot even if its boring that THE LIGHT always wins no matter what or the pointless and avoidable melodrama never stops, but anything new could also be appreciated. As long as it isn't the worst DC animated show ever.

There's a new Justice League show coming literally called Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It's funny that the worst Spider-man show was also really bad-looking CG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkH3V3wUiM

At least that show's crappy CG has the excuse of being more than a decade old. Why are they making shows that look worse than loving ReBoot well into the second decade of the 21st century?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Because they don't.

Your selective memory is making Reboot look better than these shows, and if you ever view Reboot again your happy memories of how great the show looked will be shattered.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ToastyPotato posted:

Was this show worse than that weird Batman robot show? Maybe there were robot animals too?

You mean Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts? That was direct to video toy line deal with Mattel just like the rest of Bman Unlimited. Well after Beware The Bat. No, Beware went absolutely nowhere in plot, tone, characters or anything really. They tried to make a Batman show that focused on the C-Z rated villains no one ever saw like Humpty Dumpty or Magpie and it failed miserably. It killed the DC Universe block on CN and was poo poo-caned before they could even finish airing its only season.

Aphrodite posted:

There's a new Justice League show coming literally called Action.

I thought that was going to be a mix of action and comedy ala Teen Titans Go?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 19, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Acne Rain posted:

Because they don't.

Your selective memory is making Reboot look better than these shows, and if you ever view Reboot again your happy memories of how great the show looked will be shattered.

That may be true, but Beware the Batman doesn't look any better than the cg Spider-Man show from 2003.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Crabtree posted:

I just want more action themed shows to return. If it's Young Justice I'll give it another shot even if its boring that THE LIGHT always wins no matter what or the pointless and avoidable melodrama never stops, but anything new could also be appreciated. As long as it isn't the worst DC animated show ever.

Was it really that bad? I only saw the first episode and enjoyed it, even with the somewhat strange looking CG, and I like the idea of focusing on lesser known villains. Wish it'd pop up on Netflix, I really do want to give it a shot.

I got a couple episodes into Young Justice and I found it ok, but never got around to really getting into it. I'm glad it looks like Justice League got saved though, I need to watch more of that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crabtree posted:

I don't know, I still think that The Batman was worse. Beware the Bat gets a hard time since executives killed Brave and the Bold to make it, but it's got its good points. It just suffered from the same problems with trying to be serious while at the same time not being able to actually do serious things because it's ostensibly aimed at children.

And it definitely wasn't the overly-complicated snoozefest punctuated by garbage jokes that Young Justice was/will be.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think I really enjoyed the character designs in YJ the most. They looked great, and while I enjoyed the old JLU stuff the designs wore me out.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

SlothfulCobra posted:

And it definitely wasn't the overly-complicated snoozefest punctuated by garbage jokes that Young Justice was/will be.

This is what i want to do to people who smack talk Young Justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLeK20pRuks&t=57s

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I enjoyed Young Justice. I also enjoyed Beware the Batman. Beware was not amazing or anything but it gets an unfair reputation. It was the show most screwed over by the network however.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

catlord posted:

Was it really that bad? I only saw the first episode and enjoyed it, even with the somewhat strange looking CG, and I like the idea of focusing on lesser known villains. Wish it'd pop up on Netflix, I really do want to give it a shot.

I got a couple episodes into Young Justice and I found it ok, but never got around to really getting into it. I'm glad it looks like Justice League got saved though, I need to watch more of that.

I saw it when it came back for like a month on toonami and nothing they really did made up for their failures to actually do anything with the not so known villains. Brave and The Bold did this as well as having a Golden Age focus, but Beware almost feels like it should be another cartoon that was haphazardly shifted into Batman at the last moment. As much as I can sympathize with the idea of getting away from the same Joker or Penguin stories and the rest of Batman's A league, the problem is also that they're the only ones anyone seems to know how to write for. And then of course, they had most of the plot revolve around the league of assassins. Which is technically unknown I guess, but with it being extensively used since B:TAS and the Nolan films, they went back on their word a bit.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know, I still think that The Batman was worse. Beware the Bat gets a hard time since executives killed Brave and the Bold to make it, but it's got its good points. It just suffered from the same problems with trying to be serious while at the same time not being able to actually do serious things because it's ostensibly aimed at children.

The first Episode involved Professor Pyg and turned him from a guy who mutilates people for a circus show into some environmental terrorist that hangs out with a frog man for some reason. Batman's self titled Arch-Nemesis was Anarchy, who was more focused on being Batman's antithesis and Joker stand in than fighting the man. Y'know, his whole character? And since they cut out Catwoman I guess some writer or executive looked at the show and told them to give Bruce the Not Gays and put Katana as his sidekick/bodyguard.

They sure knew how to pick and utilize the best characters they could for a kids show! And the cherry on top was taking The Batman's giant chins and putting them through a CGI filter for that extra horrible aesthetic of a batman that looked like he was carved from a block of wood if they didn't cake him in darkness to hide their bland environments.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 20, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm going to pretend you're a Bizarro and that you meant the opposite of everything you just said

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I still think it's funny that while Young Justice was on air, it universally hated. But then it got cancelled and then somehow people starting praising it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

i like tacos posted:

I still think it's funny that while Young Justice was on air, it universally hated. But then it got cancelled and then somehow people starting praising it.

not really, you are just really bad at reading threads.
People who hated it before still hate it, people who liked it before still like it, and really the last page hasn't been "praising" it that much, there's still pretty strong hate.

Besides why would haters need to rant now about a long dead show that's not coming back. There was still a minority of fans back in the day drowned out by the hate, they're just been sometimes getting a chance to occaisionally say they miss the show and stuff.

Like I LIKED season one, but I barely said anything while everyone was raging and screaming about it. What would be the point?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

I think I really enjoyed the character designs in YJ the most. They looked great, and while I enjoyed the old JLU stuff the designs wore me out.

No matter what I've said in the past about YJ, I will definitely agree that the character design was on point.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I enjoyed Young Justice. I also enjoyed Beware the Batman. Beware was not amazing or anything but it gets an unfair reputation. It was the show most screwed over by the network however.

I actually agree that BtB wasn't bad, but it was aggressively mediocre, which is possibly worse, when combined with the subpar CG.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 20, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

i like tacos posted:

It wasn't. We had a thread back then and most people posting there liked it, certain things like bad catchprases aside. It wasn't even cancelled because bad ratings, but because the wrong ratings (women and girls more than boys and young men).

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really liked all of Young Justice.... And Wolverine and the X-Men. And Teen Titans Go!

I have no idea why some people are just SO angry about Young Justice though. :argh: Seriously, if I was going to get angry at a lovely kid's superhero cartoon from the 2010s, I'd choose the latest Spiderman series for it's 'humour' and overall blandness.

As for YJ coming back, let's be honest. It won't. No matter how many Netflix hits it gets. But for me at least, YJ was an enjoyable Teen Superhero show with some fantastic animation and wide DC character use.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Skwirl posted:

I meant it specifically had significantly worse writing than noted "adult shows" Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go.
Did it? Did it really?

Wait, how are Teen Titans and GO adult shows, even in the scare quotes sense? Who calls them that?

Lurdiak posted:

It's funny that the worst Spider-man show was also really bad-looking CG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkH3V3wUiM
Was it worse than Unlimited? Or Ultimate?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Did it? Did it really?

Wait, how are Teen Titans and GO adult shows, even in the scare quotes sense? Who calls them that?

The scare quotes were to indicate sarcasm. They obviously are kid's shows. I was objecting to the idea that YJ should be judged with a lower standard because it's a kid's show, since there's a huge number of very well written kid's superhero shows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Definitely worse than Ultimate, and it barely edges out Unlimited because at least Unlimited had a wacky premise instead of putting the movies through the Smallville filter and making Spider-man the blandest superhero of all time. And trying to make him a relatable everyman while living in a gigantic loving mansion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another goon linked this earlier http://cbverse.com/2016/02/young-justice-season-3-headed-to-netflix/

Has a comment from Netflix CS saying they're negotiating for Young Justice, but there's no way to know if it's real. I'm thinking fake because that's some bad English.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

Another goon linked this earlier http://cbverse.com/2016/02/young-justice-season-3-headed-to-netflix/

Has a comment from Netflix CS saying they're negotiating for Young Justice, but there's no way to know if it's real. I'm thinking fake because that's some bad English.

This doesn't seem very real. I'd like to think such an announcement would be made somewhere outside of low quality screen cap of a customer service dialog. Also, it doesn't mention where or why this customer service rep even said this. Also, I highly doubt a customer service rep is privy to the goings on in private negotiations between the heads of Netflix programming and big studios.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If anyone's willing to give it a shot, Ultimate Spider-man season 4 is actually a pretty good action cartoon, season opened with Ock teaming up with Hydra to take down SHIELD and Spidey, and we finally get Kaine, Flash Venom and Peter all interacting together and stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Andrew_1985 posted:

I have no idea why some people are just SO angry about Young Justice though. :argh:

Play the game. You'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkX4frUI7Hc

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If anyone's willing to give it a shot, Ultimate Spider-man season 4 is actually a pretty good action cartoon, season opened with Ock teaming up with Hydra to take down SHIELD and Spidey, and we finally get Kaine, Flash Venom and Peter all interacting together and stuff.

Is the writing still unbearably childish though?

Also, has Avengers Assemble improved at all? I haven't seen it since the weird Ultron/Thanos story. I can barely remember it. One of the last episodes I remember was the Spider-Man crossover, which was actually entertaining because it showed that USM's weird 4th wall breaking is just Peter talking to himself out loud. I think I saw whatever arc that was (with Stark's robot pal) through to it's end. But it has been months so I am sure I fell way behind.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ToastyPotato posted:

Is the writing still unbearably childish though?

Also, has Avengers Assemble improved at all? I haven't seen it since the weird Ultron/Thanos story. I can barely remember it. One of the last episodes I remember was the Spider-Man crossover, which was actually entertaining because it showed that USM's weird 4th wall breaking is just Peter talking to himself out loud. I think I saw whatever arc that was (with Stark's robot pal) through to it's end. But it has been months so I am sure I fell way behind.

Most childish thing I think was Fury getting really pissed at Ock and Arnim Zola for turning the helicarrier into a Hydra-themed ship thanks to nanomachines, he just went "this'll teach you to take other people's toys!" and ripped cables out of Zola. The ending to the two-parter was very JoJo-esque in that Amadeus Cho uses a manual override on the hydra-helicarrier, which Zola has transferred his consciousness into, enabling the space travel capabilities and so, without another physical vessel to switch up to, Zola is now an intelligence being forced to wander throughout space unable to alter his course.
It's still kinda childish, but it's nowhere near as unbearable as before, most of the fourth wall breaking stuff and the chibi imagination scenes have been toned down, like the former being mostly for recap stuff and two or three punchlines (Peter jokes that whoever designed the Hydra ship needed to see a psychiatrist, then when Zola brags a bit of how the new ship is of his own design spider-man just does the fourth wall thing to say "told ya") and the chibi stuff only happened twice for very short gags.
I'm probably having too much faith, but this season might end up akin to TAS in how that show mostly adapted recent Spider-man storylines for its time with new spins, so this one will do modern stories, like Kaine, the already established Agent Venom and probably something with Ock since he now looks like he did in Ends of the Earth.

Avengers Assemble will start next month it seems, mostly gonna deal with Ultron it seems and pump in more heroes, including Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I know the general consensus is dislike, but The Batman in on Netflix now apparently, along with Son of Batman. I wasn't allowed to watch anything too violent as a kid, so I missed the DCAU, so The Batman was my first DC Animated series and I have a soft spot for it. It didn't want to be BTAS, it wanted to be its own thing, and I think it did it well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've always been a big defender of The Batman. If you can get past the character designs, it's a pretty good little show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't begrudge it trying something different, I just didn't really like what it did.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Google for the top five episodes.
There's a few really really good episodes like "seconds" and "the laughing bat" but a lot of them are just devoid of anything other than batman stops villains, one liners are exchanged, buy the toys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Seconds was really good.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

catlord posted:

I know the general consensus is dislike, but The Batman in on Netflix now apparently, along with Son of Batman. I wasn't allowed to watch anything too violent as a kid, so I missed the DCAU, so The Batman was my first DC Animated series and I have a soft spot for it. It didn't want to be BTAS, it wanted to be its own thing, and I think it did it well.

I really enjoyed the show while it was on, probably do to all the nerds tripping over themselves screaming "not my Batman!". It's decent enough at first and really picks up once they introduce Robin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

It's decent enough at first and really picks up once they introduce Robin.

Yeah, I find it pretty subpar for the first season (or first seasons, I forget?) but after Batgirl and Robin join up the quality jumps up a lot.

Of course, The Batman's real accomplishment is leading to the creation of The Batman vs Dracula, the best animated Bat-movie aside from Mask of the Phantasm.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

Seconds was really good.

Seconding (ha) this. I also remember A matter of family being really good too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

In addition to Son of Batman, they also added Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox and War.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Another point for YJ's seeming resurgence online: CN dicked their timeslot around a few times or something. I know I lost track of it early on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was that weird period where episodes got pulled at the very last second and it took a couple of months to come back.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember one of the breaks was because there was something going on with the rights to the Milestone characters like Static

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

catlord posted:

In addition to Son of Batman, they also added Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox and War.

Those Justice League ones are preposterous, like a parody of over-the-top, dark-and-gritty 80s stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Jack Gladney posted:

Those Justice League ones are preposterous, like a parody of over-the-top, dark-and-gritty 80s stories.

I can't wait to watch these.

• Locked thread