Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I will adopt Tyler Durden is Hobbes but I will need a password reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Jimbo Akimbo is also up for grabs. First come first serve:siren:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I guess I'll take him then. Can't do worse than the last guy who managed him!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'm beginning to pick up subtle hints that Bad Munki might be something of a pariah.

But no matter. Soon I will be joining...

I know I was super capitalist a few posts ago but that was just because of the deep emptiness I felt from not having my own fighter. I take back everything mean I said. Except about Bad Munki.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

shchfyakeya sffreyadt1Ve

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I guess I'll take him then. Can't do worse than the last guy who managed him!

What the gently caress. When do you sleep?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wassat

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

my dad posted:

shchfyakeya sffreyadt1Ve

Cathode, try 'рабочий кооператив'.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Cathode, try 'рабочий кооператив'.

I tried this to see how this would look but I discovered that the faux-cyrillic font I used couldn't handle actual cyrillic characters.

(irony)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

How do you write "Spooky Scary Skeletons" in their own language?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Coward posted:

What language do a Strangler, a Werewolf, a Kobold and a Tigerperson have in common?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Coward posted:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

AJ_Impy posted:

What language do a Strangler, a Werewolf, a Kobold and a Tigerperson have in common?

Sign language, I guess?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So I'm running a new fight. Look for it before too long.

This is going to be a Very Special Episode of the arena, though; we're going to touch on a couple of topics we haven't seen before.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Two arrows hitting each other in mid air?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

jon joe posted:

Two arrows hitting each other in mid air?

Back-to-back wins for Jimbo & Crew

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I am hoping for the Whipped Vs Furry Farm fight. Who will be the best of the worst?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round 11, Fight 6 :siren:

Spooky Scary Skeletons is on the left side of the arena.
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a female werewolf. She wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears a copper mail shirt, a bronze mail shirt, copper greaves, and leather gauntlets.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears a copper cap, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a male kobold. He wields a steel bow and wears a leather cap.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a male tigerman. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears a bronze helm and bronze gauntlets.

Cool Rad Awesome Pals is on the right side of the arena.
Punc Hant (Silverminnow) is a female soldier ant woman. She is empty handed and wears a steel breast plate.
BS-45 "Apeliminator" (alcharagia) is a male strangler. He wields a copper pick and wears an iron cap.
Jimbo Akimbo (Bad Munki) is a male dwarf. He wields two copper war hammers and wears an iron cap, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
The Krying Bowbold Returns! (Krysmphoenix) is a female kobold. She wields a steel bow and wears no armor.

Spooky Scary Skeletons is a 1.11 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2791.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 2520.00 dwarfbucks for Cool Rad Awesome Pals.

So today is a one-and-only special: our two archer teams are going head to head for the first and last time. This means, uniquely, they will not have a marked numerical disadvantage on their front lines. How will this affect things? I'm at least as eager as you are to see how this plays out, so let's get right to it.

Two quickdraws. Bad Munki misses and shoots the far wall. Krying does not. She puts her arrow straight into Munki's lung and he gasps for air and collapses to the ground insensate from pain.

Best archer established.

Punc clocks Tash in the head, stunning her. Tiger and Jimbo pull away for a private duel. The stranglers are thus left to consider each other. It takes a long moment for them to actually do anything about it. Then Apeliminator takes a swing and misses. Punc on the other hand keeps pounding Tash in the head like a proper Atomweight boxer. Then a jab to the hand. Tash's carpals and metacarpals are pounded into paste, and she drops her silver war hammer. Unreal.

Not that it's even needed, but Krying shoots again, and nails Tash in the other shoulder. Punc tries charging at Tash, which rather unsurprisingly only knocks herself down. But it seems to have been a tipping point. Tash drops her shield and passes out. Punc, still on the ground, bites Tash in the head and her mandibles catch hard.

With Apeliminator failing to hold Three Gremlins' attention well, the latter takes a moment to hack off Punc's foot. Another strike, another limb comes off. Spooky Scary are working on coming back. Jimbo breaks Tiger's paw, and the tiger falls over. From the ground, he lashes out at Apeliminator, misses, and Apeliminator counters back with a savage, arm-wrecking blow. Tiger loses his halberd. A bit more pounding from Apeliminator and Jimbo and he loses consciousness.

Only Three Gremlins is able to still wield a weapon on the skeleton side. Punc loses a third limb to Three Gremlins. She's been unable to defend herself particularly effectively, as she really wants to kill Tash and so far hasn't managed it. Punc has finally started punching back and bruising bone, but typically three limbs is about what an ant can lose before they die from blood loss.

Bits of Punc are going all over. Tiger's spine is separated in at least three places from Jimbo's hammer. This is a fight of quick combats and slow kills. Krying throws another bolt into Tash, breaking bits of his hip.

Five bits of Punc are visible here; one of those spots is two pieces. I'm amazed she's still in contention. A few more blows, though, and the inevitable happens: she bleeds to death. Success, Three Gremlins. Also: first death.

Three Gremlins moves towards the other two, jumps back to avoid a counter, moves forward again, and coincidentally dodges a shot from Krying. Can Three Gremlins actually win it all?

Oh, and Tiger just bled to death.

The lethal blow came from someone who has earned the name of... :siren: APELIMINATOR!! :siren:

It's tied up at one kill apiece, now, and it's equal numbers of effective fighters, too. Three of CRAP, versus Three Gremlins. Hm. Maybe not quite as even as all that. A selection of dodges ends up putting Jimbo next to Tash, and a single hammer swing is enough to flatten her head by about eight inches.

Something else surprising has happened. Bad Munki has regained consciousness and stood up.

His second arrow speeds out. It hits the far wall. So much for miracles. Krying shoots more effectively. She nails Three Gremlins in the kidney. Three Gremlins is pinned down long enough for Jimbo to kill.

It's down to only Bad Munki. Apeliminator is johnny-on-the-spot to attack him, anxious for a second kill. Bad Munki wriggles away, right next to Jimbo. He misses his first swing. Munki doesn't miss his. A shot through his shoulder and he loses a hammer and collapses from pain.

Apeliminator chases the slippery fellow down. He's not having much luck dealing anything but an occasional nick. It takes a while, but eventually Apeliminator puts a pick in Munki's arm, and the kobold goes down. Another pick swing removes his head.

Kills
Three Gremlins in a Blender: 1
BS-45 "Apeliminator": 2 (!)
Jimbo Akimbo: 2

Combat Log

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Back-to-back wins for Jimbo & Crew

Quote this forever

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also that was probably the most confusing writeup to read. Not because of the author, mind you, but the cast. Holy moly.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Bad Munki posted:

Also that was probably the most confusing writeup to read. Not because of the author, mind you, but the cast.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't justify including Worse Munki as well.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAh95IrfIs

Congratulations Apeliminator

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ZeeToo posted:

I'm sorry, but I couldn't justify including Worse Munki as well.

It would have taken a few days for anyone to sort it out and realize anything was awry. The best wildcard. :getin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Punc Hant (CRAP) punches Tash Al'rhyn (Spooky Scary) in the right hand with its first left hand, jamming the bone through the right wrist's muscle and shattering the right wrist's bone!

:stare:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
...?!?!

?!?!!?!??!!?!?!??!!?!?!?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
*throws hands in the air* EY YO ITS YA BOY AND HIS NAME IS APELIMINATOR WHOOOOO YEAAAAA

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

*nods sagely*

Well played.

For my part, I think we established earlier that my weird guessing games about how the Archery skill interacted with Bow skill was wildly wrong, so I'm happy to admit Bad Munki is definitely a sub par archer. But what I find confusing is that in earlier rounds, Bad Munki scored hits routinely. Ever since I started putting points into skills, he's missed all the time. What's going on? Just RNG'd in the groin, or have I somehow screwed something up by making my chance to hit higher?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also whats up with Punc's deadly fists? Are exoskeletons an advantage here?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Coward posted:

*nods sagely*

Well played.

For my part, I think we established earlier that my weird guessing games about how the Archery skill interacted with Bow skill was wildly wrong, so I'm happy to admit Bad Munki is definitely a sub par archer. But what I find confusing is that in earlier rounds, Bad Munki scored hits routinely. Ever since I started putting points into skills, he's missed all the time. What's going on? Just RNG'd in the groin, or have I somehow screwed something up by making my chance to hit higher?

Bad luck, combined with some poor selection of data points.

Munki and Krying are more similar than not, now. It's just the case that a first shot is often a miss, due to how moving targets interact with archer attacks. And then after that, there were only two more times Munki attacked this fight. The first one was a shot while recovering from pain, having trouble breathing, and being stunned. The last one was a devastating, crippling shot that could have killed. The real difference between the archers here, despite what I said in the write-up? Their random first choice of target. Krying targeted a stationary foe. That was it. That was the difference maker.

I didn't run your two fights before that, but, yeah, it's luck.

I have tested rather a lot, and recall seeing a Bay12 poster who tested on a more industrial level, to see what skills actually do as far as accuracy. Archery helps it stay on course. This is solely a good thing, although it occasionally still gives weird results. See my effort post on that. So literally unless this was changed to break this since it was tested, no, you have not screwed yourself by upping your skills. Dwarf Fortress does not care about smoothing out RNG clusters the way a lot of video games do. Heck, there's another example that's pretty obvious for someone else who's suffered from the RNG. Alcharagia's fighter isn't one of the truly bottom-tier competitors who could only even manage a first kill more than halfway through the tournament.

I hope it's not too depressing in outcome, but, yeah, welcome to randomness. :shobon:

SynthOrange posted:

Also whats up with Punc's deadly fists? Are exoskeletons an advantage here?

This one I find less fascinating than DF archers, so you get a short answer.

mad skills, yo

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm so happy

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

This one I find less fascinating than DF archers, so you get a short answer.

mad skills, yo

I have a theory, but it would require looking up waaaay too many different stats in waaaay too many different files for me to gather the :effort: to check it: I suspect antwomen hands have a smaller surface area relative to body size compared to other creatures' hands, which combined with ++strength might be responsible for some fun results. Also, our antwomen have double the chitin thickness to avoid excessively easy squishing, this might add some mass to the fists as well.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The fighters Uma Thurman, Jameson the Unruly, Dontellim Pike, and Tyler Durden is Hobbes are now available for adoption! In order to adopt a fighter, you must not already have a fighter currently participating in the tournament.

First come, first served. Post in the thread and specify the name of the fighter you want to claim if you want to adopt!

I just registered and I'll take Uma Thurman if she's still available. I've never done this before but there's no time like the present.

I seriously haven't played Dwarf Fortress in about 5 years so this ought to go real well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unless they've let their points build up a heap, there's not much to realistically mess up.

Unless you intend to sell all their gear then bet on the opposing team.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

my dad posted:

I have a theory, but it would require looking up waaaay too many different stats in waaaay too many different files for me to gather the :effort: to check it: I suspect antwomen hands have a smaller surface area relative to body size compared to other creatures' hands, which combined with ++strength might be responsible for some fun results. Also, our antwomen have double the chitin thickness to avoid excessively easy squishing, this might add some mass to the fists as well.

To be honest I just went with the race with the most arms, who also used punching as their primary unarmed attack (Stranglers primary unarmed attack is biting). From logs there seemed to be more punches happening than with other races. I did a little testing and a maxed out antwoman was able to break bones in a fully armor-clad yeti, so surface area and weight might play into it. At the same time, gauntlets don't seem to play any role in punching, so I don't know if material thickness of the body should matter.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I just registered and I'll take Uma Thurman if she's still available. I've never done this before but there's no time like the present.

I seriously haven't played Dwarf Fortress in about 5 years so this ought to go real well.

Buy a helmet pls k thx

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Average skellys game atm seems to be my girl getting smashed and most of my team spending their time picking their noses :shrug:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Does me heart good to see arrows flying wildly.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

tithin posted:

Average skellys game atm seems to be my girl getting smashed and most of my team spending their time picking their noses :shrug:

Hey now, your girl wasn't the one working their way back from four on one through to two and a half on one. TGiaB did their part!

Congratulations, B-45 Apeliminator! This is the first time since round seven that one of the unblooded has earned a name. We're at round 11, meaning it took a third of the entire tournament so far between Stephen Harper and Apeliminator stepping up

However, this is also the first case of gladiator versus team's manager blue-on-blue. Since one of those kills was Bad Munki, we're going to have to deduct it from the total rather than adding, leaving your nameless vermin at 0.
I kid, gladiators killing allies or managers in the arena is perfectly acceptable, encouraged even, and adds to the tally.

Three Gremlins' solo efforts bring them up to double figures, and joint leadership of the Skeleton kill chart. Jimbo is still carrying his team, now responsible for 15 kills, three-fifths of the Pals total contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

tithin posted:

I don't know why you keep blaming your team for tash being garbage