Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

And now they want me to add twenty people to my linkedin profile and that's where I draw the line.

Just add 20 people from your class.

Alternatively, lie and say you did it. Are they really going to check? Like, you have to list the 20 people you added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've been out of college for ages and I still get dumb loving dreams about failing a class 5 years after graduating so to vent I'm going to relay a story of a fucker I worked with, complete rear end in a top hat. To give a bit of background on the rear end in a top hat, he basically hosed us on the last paper of the semester by submitting a garbage section at 4am when the paper was due at 8am and me and another teammate had to rewrite the section off 3 hours of sleep in the space of an hour on a pretty technical subject.

Anyways here's the story on why this guy is going to rot in hell: every day he wore nylon track pants to class, and liked to bounce his knee up and down, right next to me, every class

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

anti-complaint: My capstone group project is full of competent, likeable people. We might even get published. We're well ahead of our deadlines on everything, and our contact at the government agency we're working for is a really cool guy. Even better, the government will pay for our travel expenses in regards to getting to and fro from the site. :unsmith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My game development capstone is giving me a ton of anxiety and I don't feel like there's any way we will have a polished product in time without sacrificing every minute of every day on it

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I lived at school for two years in MA, it was a weirdly terrible experience all around. I tried to be friendly and sociable to other folks in my dorm/ classes etc. but I never really hung out with anyone other than my roommate outside of a handful of times. I did fine academically, but around that time in my life especially I felt I didn't understand the key to making sociable interactions a normal, not terrifying part of daily life.

I really wish I could give a better explanation for why things seemed so closed off to me at that school in particular, but I guess it was a bad fit. I've had an easier time since then with relationships but it's always very confusing. And no, I do not have something like a spectrum disorder or autism, I've worked with people who have that and it's a much different thing than what gets to me. I have normal conversations and can pick up on body language/ cues and all that.

I think being stuck at home when I was 12-16ish with my older sister who always had TONS of people over drinking and poo poo made that sort of thing seem really threatening to me. If I had a chance to experience that with my own friends when I was a bit older and realize it wasn't "bad" necessarily things might have turned out different. Oh well, can't live in the past right?

Sweet Calamity
Feb 15, 2008
Take nothing from nothing and you'll have nothing left.
I just found out through the chair of my program that I could have tested out of half the classes I've taken so far. I'm currently taking a class required for my program that is catered to idiots. We spent three hours learning about plurals and possessives. My classmates still don't understand apostrophes. And the chair told me I could have tested out, but now it's too late. I meet with my advisor every semester to make sure I'm taking the right classes. I am beyond pissed. loving local community colleges. I am so angry that I can't even find the words to bitch about all my other complaints. :( I completed 2 years at a real, 4-year school, but it wasn't for me. I didn't realize this college catered exclusively to the lowest common denominator. I know I probably sound like an rear end in a top hat, but it's hard not to. One of my textbooks has an entire chapter that teaches how to open Word, create a document, and save it. Kill me now. It's times like these that make me wish I knew what I wanted to do. Settling for office administration may drive me mad.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sweet Calamity posted:

I just found out through the chair of my program that I could have tested out of half the classes I've taken so far.

Hey, man, try and be glass-half-full on this one--those were some easy-rear end GPA boosters, right? Now you can use those newfound Microsoft Word skills to write up some scholarship essays! :toot:

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

OniPanda posted:

I'm in a 300 level humanities class this semester, and it's pretty brutal for that since there's 4 students including me. It's basically me and one guy doin most the talking. I purposefully don't answer first most the time because I also don't want to monopolize, but it's an awkward silence where you can tell me and the other dude are holdin back and the teacher is starin down the other two.

I understand why I might get some pushback on this opinion, because in theory it shouldn't be on the professor to mollycoddle students who are in higher learning, but I have to say - as someone who has been in classes of four or five people on a regular basis, where I am the only student who will speak up, even when I leave LONG awkward silence waiting for one of the others to pipe up, I really wish the professor would just call on one of the others. I know that when you're in higher education it's not supposed to be a classroom situation, but I really dislike monopolizing the conversation. I don't know whether it's because the other people in the class are too shy, or if they haven't done the reading for that particular class, but either way! And honestly, I'm not the guy who answers straight away all the time or thinks they know it all, I will let the awkward silence drag on for as long as humanely possibly because I don't want to feel like I'm talking over people and often my professor will tell me that I'm misguided in my opinions. I'll usually end up saying something I'm unsure of because our professor has already been looking round expectantly at the class for five minutes before I hazard a guess! Since we're all paying so much for higher education nowadays I don't think it's so much to ask to wish professors would be able to corral their classes a little better so the onus wasn't just on the one or two pupils who try to engage.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

My game development capstone is giving me a ton of anxiety and I don't feel like there's any way we will have a polished product in time without sacrificing every minute of every day on it

Protip- make a simple game that works well with the least amount of effort you can, then spend any time afterwards adding new features and graphics. As someone who's had to make games full time and ship in less than a month any other way of doing it is going to burn you out and cause weird poo poo like panic attacks and malnutrition on top of a lovely, buggy game.

The second thing they never tell you is most of your early work will be poo poo, regardless of how much effort you put into it. It's why most game studios start off with crap work and build their way up or are full of industry people creating their own game after spending 10-20 years working for someone else. If you have something you can play for 5 minutes and say "well, it wasn't bad or anything" you did well and you should be proud. The industry outside of AAA is very forgiving for people who have no idea what they're doing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The second thing they never tell you is most of your early work will be poo poo, regardless of how much effort you put into it.

That's true of pretty much everything creative, really. Your first attempts will always be complete poo poo. They will be utter garbage. gently caress it, make 'em anyway. Learn things along the way. Ask yourself where it works and where it doesn't. Ask yourself what you can improve. In the case of programming look for those Good Algorithms and commit them to memory.

While we're here, COMMENT YOUR drat CODE.

Anyway, it's very easy to overscope the project. If it's for college it's unlikely they want you to make the next AAA blockbuster. Definitely sink time into making something that doesn't suck and start sooner rather than later but don't feel like you have to make something that will sell a million copies.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's true of pretty much everything creative, really. Your first attempts will always be complete poo poo. They will be utter garbage. gently caress it, make 'em anyway. Learn things along the way. Ask yourself where it works and where it doesn't. Ask yourself what you can improve. In the case of programming look for those Good Algorithms and commit them to memory.

I'm teaching an advanced 3d art class this semester where students are encountering Substance Painter for the first time. The first lesson I introduce it to them I give them a model to mess with in it and I literally say "This is your garbage texture. Get it out of your system." before I even attempt to try to teach them anything about workflow.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh my god yes. I loving hate working with other people, especially people in the school setting, who won't do basic cleaning up on their work. Every hour or so I'll drag all my code into the right areas of my script with comments and everything, make sure everything is linked up properly...and someone else I'm working with will just send me a huge block of code with stupid placeholder variable names and poo poo that doesn't even work despite being on the same project. Or they'll name all their variables stupid poo poo after popculture references and memes instead of anything useful.

gently caress I hate neckbearded programmers. Their code is as disgustingly unkempt as their appearance is.

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015
My Intro Computer Science classes gives everything online basically. The lectures are online by some old dude, and electronic book online with exercises. The problem is the lectures and the labs don't really cover everything. The labs went from manageable to wtf. There's like 3 TAs, but they grade weird and they don't explain it well when asked if its right.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've given up putting effort into these bi-weekly group projects for this stupid class this semester. The last one was incomplete and I explained it's too much work for one person to do by themselves in addition to the essays he wants us to do. Al the other groups are 3 or 4 people and I'm by myself, assigned that way. Because my group members all dropped the course and he didn't bother to reconfigure things to make it even. So he hosed me over even after I told him I keep running out of time. The one for tomorrow will only be half-completed and I'm perfectly fine with that. Because now I have to go to a loving church and interview three people and write an essay about it for next Monday. On top of this I'm now half-dead from a severe lung infection, so giving my presentation tomorrow is going to be a BLAST.

Here's hoping I don't die of pneumonia in the next few days :toot:

Oh, did I mention this is a first year general education class? You know, the ones that are supposed to be dumb filler classes for idiots right out of high school? What the gently caress is this guy thinking?

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Got an bad upper respiratory infection, missed a week and a half. Went back for two weeks then got into a car accident. Missed that day of class and the next class two days later because my insurance/car rental agency jerked me around and had no way to get to campus an hour away. Think I might fail a class and scrape by in the rest after four straight semesters making the dean's list. At least no matter what I both have to back in the fall and can graduate even if I have to retake a class.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh, did I mention this is a first year general education class? You know, the ones that are supposed to be dumb filler classes for idiots right out of high school? What the gently caress is this guy thinking?

Here's what he's thinking:

"This is a general education class for idiots right out of high school so it's going to be packed. gently caress grading 43 stupid papers that will have at least 20 idiotic submissions. 14 projects is easier to grade."

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

an overdue owl posted:

I understand why I might get some pushback on this opinion, because in theory it shouldn't be on the professor to mollycoddle students who are in higher learning, but I have to say - as someone who has been in classes of four or five people on a regular basis, where I am the only student who will speak up, even when I leave LONG awkward silence waiting for one of the others to pipe up, I really wish the professor would just call on one of the others. I know that when you're in higher education it's not supposed to be a classroom situation, but I really dislike monopolizing the conversation. I don't know whether it's because the other people in the class are too shy, or if they haven't done the reading for that particular class, but either way! And honestly, I'm not the guy who answers straight away all the time or thinks they know it all, I will let the awkward silence drag on for as long as humanely possibly because I don't want to feel like I'm talking over people and often my professor will tell me that I'm misguided in my opinions. I'll usually end up saying something I'm unsure of because our professor has already been looking round expectantly at the class for five minutes before I hazard a guess! Since we're all paying so much for higher education nowadays I don't think it's so much to ask to wish professors would be able to corral their classes a little better so the onus wasn't just on the one or two pupils who try to engage.
Thankfully, he does that just start callin on the people who aren't talkin. After a while of a three person conversation with five people in the room, he just goes "Okay we haven't heard from you, what do you think?"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I know I don't write the cleanest or best code, or near enough comments for that matter, but last semester to recover some points on one project, we had to look over someone else's code and give feedback. Holy hell. How do you even get to a mid level programming class with coding habits that bad? gently caress, one guy showed me his code for a different project for getting a sub matrix and he was trying to use 3 moving pointers in a single while loop :cripes:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Oh boy, where do we start. The school is having us perform these Individualized Academic Reports, right? Because we're converting to semesters from a quarter systems and they wanna know when to kick us out. Now, considering most of the classes I'm taking are series based, converting from a quarter system to a semester system can be tricky. So, I went to the workshop, filled it out, and submitted it to the best of my ability, because frankly, I'm sure the school's going to be dumb and offer a vital course like once a year or something.

Now, they gotta approve the loving thing, so what the people at the workshop said is that "as long as it's submitted, the school would email me if they approve it or not". Cool.

It's been four loving weeks and the quarter is almost over. Now, if they don't approve it (or maybe if I didn't submit it, I dunno) by April 15th, they'll put holds on registering for fall. Cool, let's keep people from graduating on time for a once optional thing that was designed to make you graduate on time. Great. I'm pissed at myself, because I think an advisor could approve it for you, but I was being an idiot, assuming the school would process it and get back to me. So, whatever, I'm angry at myself and the school. Meh, I deserve this.

Also, we gotta retake a Calc II midterm cause everyone did garbage on it (I got the highest score, a measly 70/100, average was 35/100). Prof says if we do worse on it, he'll use the shittier score. I understand where he's coming from, but gently caress man, this weekend was the worst possible time for me to study for this, because I have a gajillion projects/finals to study for right now. He's a nice guy, but poo poo pisses me off because people asked for this! He was willing to put more weight on the final, but NOOOO! Let's retake a test that'll he'll make harder and so it guarantees we'll all loving fail. We also have a project due for this same class on tuesday, so it's been a juggling act this whole weekend.

Whatever, I need to air this poo poo out. I probably sound whiny as gently caress, I know, cause the poo poo going is stressful but school problems ain't nothing to real world crap. At least I got my health and roof under my head. :)

I am getting super hosed up after finals.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Also, we gotta retake a Calc II midterm cause everyone did garbage on it (I got the highest score, a measly 70/100, average was 35/100).

Hot drat with an average that low I'm not sure if you can put the blame squarely on the students

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Spinning Robo posted:

Hot drat with an average that low I'm not sure if you can put the blame squarely on the students

Thing is, his other class did pretty well on it, so it's kinda of an awkward situation all around. Guy is a good prof. (for the most part), took for him for Calc I and didn't really have a problem. Average would normally be around 65-70 in that last class and the first midterm. So yeah, pretty strange situation to be in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Whatever, I need to air this poo poo out. I probably sound whiny as gently caress, I know, cause the poo poo going is stressful but school problems ain't nothing to real world crap.

School problems are real world crap.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Digirat posted:

School problems are real world crap.

Well, I guess it was my way of saying poo poo sucks, but I'll keep on trucking. Much less devastating than becoming homeless or getting real sick.

It felt good to get that poo poo off my chest though!

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Back when I had to take the basic chem series I was horrified that my first test score was a 35/100. Then I found out that was a B.

That's just hosed up and there is something wrong if that's how students are performing. I mean, an exam should be challenging, but should also reflect the content and skills delivered in the lectures and labs.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Bast Relief posted:

Back when I had to take the basic chem series I was horrified that my first test score was a 35/100. Then I found out that was a B.

That's just hosed up and there is something wrong if that's how students are performing. I mean, an exam should be challenging, but should also reflect the content and skills delivered in the lectures and labs.

My professor posted two past exams as samples/study guides for the midterm. Other than formatting the actual information on them is maybe 20% content that we went over. And when asked what would be on the exam he just said to read the instructions carefully. Seriously, gently caress you, that poo poo wasn't covered and if you're going to test on stuff that was covered in the prereqs you need to make sure we took them at this school.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bast Relief posted:

If at any time the prof has to make a sweeping change to make a really low score a B for the entire class it's not the students fault for the most part.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Dear Sir,
Hope you're doing well. I am being dismissed from the PhD program due to low grades in your class where I got a C. I had been suffering from heavy migraine attacks at that time and I had also reported heavy headaches to the medical office at the campus. I have been very passionate about pursuing PhD all my life and I have proved it time to time, be it by publishing 2 papers in international journals in my masters or be it by graduating from one of the most premier institutes in my country. I won't be able to pursue my dream just because I didn't do well in this class, be it doing everything else fine. I know this is not an excuse to not do well in the curriculum, but all I ask is for a second chance to fix it. So, I humbly request you to change my grade to a B. My career is at stake.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"Send me an email so we can go over times to choose what art piece you should show for your graduation gallery" says the professor who rarely checks emails

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bast Relief posted:

Mr E posted:

If at any time the prof has to make a sweeping change to make a really low score a B for the entire class it's not the students fault for the most part.

:eng101:

There is a particular mindset among professors of certain subjects (namely the sciences) that tests are not meant for pure verification. Rather, they are part of the learning and internalization process. They will teach formulas and techniques a certain way, give you homework and labs that let you practice those exact things, and then on tests will ask you questions about applying them in a way you've never seen before, often in combination with each other in various novel ways.

These tests are made to be a stretch for most students, so they are graded accordingly with plenty of partial credit and a big curve; they actively expect most of the class to get what would normally be a poor score. Also, professors who do this tend to, in my experience, put a much lower percentage of your final grade on tests, in favor of homework and labs. It's exactly the opposite of most courses, where the hard work is in homework or labs and the tests are just there to verify that you understand the basics.

On one hand, I kind of like this mentality. It de-emphasizes test-taking ability and rote memorization of facts in favor of getting your hands on things (labs) and solving problems in your own time (homework) so that you can apply the things you've learned in new and exciting ways.

On the other hand, it unfortunately goes directly against the way students have been taught to think about tests and learning for the whole of their lives. Most people will not understand the point of a test that they pass with a 30%. Worse, most professors don't TELL you ahead of time that this is how they operate, so everyone goes in to take a relatively unimportant test and has a panic attack when they can't solve anything and think they're idiots and are going to fail and have to repeat and oh god it's already so expensive.

Finally, you see this more in the masters-level courses and up, but sometimes some physics professor will apply it to a required-for-everyone 200-level science course. This is where a lot of the pain comes from, because most students just want to get past the course and move on to what they actually came to college to study, and it's pretty difficult to think creatively about material that you just don't give a gently caress about.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Cengage OWL can suck my dick!!!

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Che Delilas posted:

:eng101:

There is a particular mindset among professors of certain subjects (namely the sciences) that tests are not meant for pure verification. Rather, they are part of the learning and internalization process. They will teach formulas and techniques a certain way, give you homework and labs that let you practice those exact things, and then on tests will ask you questions about applying them in a way you've never seen before, often in combination with each other in various novel ways.

These tests are made to be a stretch for most students, so they are graded accordingly with plenty of partial credit and a big curve; they actively expect most of the class to get what would normally be a poor score. Also, professors who do this tend to, in my experience, put a much lower percentage of your final grade on tests, in favor of homework and labs. It's exactly the opposite of most courses, where the hard work is in homework or labs and the tests are just there to verify that you understand the basics.

On one hand, I kind of like this mentality. It de-emphasizes test-taking ability and rote memorization of facts in favor of getting your hands on things (labs) and solving problems in your own time (homework) so that you can apply the things you've learned in new and exciting ways.

On the other hand, it unfortunately goes directly against the way students have been taught to think about tests and learning for the whole of their lives. Most people will not understand the point of a test that they pass with a 30%. Worse, most professors don't TELL you ahead of time that this is how they operate, so everyone goes in to take a relatively unimportant test and has a panic attack when they can't solve anything and think they're idiots and are going to fail and have to repeat and oh god it's already so expensive.

Finally, you see this more in the masters-level courses and up, but sometimes some physics professor will apply it to a required-for-everyone 200-level science course. This is where a lot of the pain comes from, because most students just want to get past the course and move on to what they actually came to college to study, and it's pretty difficult to think creatively about material that you just don't give a gently caress about.

I work in education, so what you're saying is familiar to me, and as an educator I like to implement assessments that don't just reward students for sheer memorization. Though my memory is foggy and surely skewed by naivete, I'm pretty sure my professor had no such intention with his exams. It was a bunch of multiple choice questions on topics not covered, and the problems where we had to show our work were very basic and only complicated because we hadn't really learned any of it. I do remember him going on at length about protein folding and his research. But this was Chem 1A pal. None of that poo poo was on the syllabus or the test. Please just teach us redox reactions again okay thanks.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Good news, kicked rear end on all the finals and got all A's for the courses. So that's nice, done with formal math classes now.

As for a complaint, spring break was too goddamn short. Time to return to the meat grinder. :suicide101:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

As my graduation date nears, my pile of homework grows larger. My apathy is almost all-consuming. 5 more goddamn weeks :shepicide:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I'm taking microbiology, and there's an online discussion portion where they give us a topic (based on whatever we just covered in lab) and we're supposed to write a couple of sentences about it.

This week we are supposed to talk about how bacteria develop antibiotic resistance and how it can be measured and somebody posted this:

quote:

Drugs are specific and any mutation can interfere with or negate its destructive effect resulting in antibiotic resistance. An organism can build resistance, they use enzymes to modify the antibiotic and neutralizes it.

To measure the building of resistance a digital multimeter is used.

:unsmith: Community college

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
2,500 word essay due tomorrow at 12pm, the latest I can submit is 9am and I'm at 1,079 words. Why do I keep loving doing this poo poo? Why am I not doing this essay right this second??

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
I have a 2,000 word essay due Friday. The only time I really have this week to do it is right now. I just finished a 3,000 word essay for another paper a few days ago, and I have a 1,000 word response for yet another paper due tomorrow, which I've thankfully already completed.

I'm currently at 79 words and it's worth 40% of my grade for this course. My motivation is through the floor. gently caress.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That prof I had for the one class that wouldn't balance work load or reassign groups is really weird. The readings he assigned us were really technical analyses about architecture, way beyond a level any first year course should be, but it's been so easy to ace everything with the least amount of effort. I wrote an essay wrong on purpose because I was pissed off, chose my own topic rather than what was assigned, and got an A.

Today I showed up for the first time in 3 weeks, gave the most half-assed presentation imaginable and got a special thanks at the end for doing such a good job. We were supposed to design a visual mental map of our understanding of all the material we learned in class, so I took a picture of the Structures of Hell by Botticelli to reference The Divine Comedy, threw on a shell cross-section and a tree, then prattled on about repeating themes, aesthetics, and design in art and architecture over time and distance was evidence of a collective unconscious. And he loving LOVED it. Apparently he normally teaches philosophy so maybe he thought I was really deep or something.

I was fully expecting to get a C because that's the amount of effort I put in, but now I think that's impossible. School is loving bizarro land.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Picnic Princess posted:

School is loving bizarro land.

It was frustrating as heck at the time, but looking back, it's actually pretty funny when that stuff happens. I remember spending a week on a sonnet for a creative writing class. Just obsessing over it. I spent too many drat hours writing and re-writing lines, but in the end, it was perfect.

"Good job. B+"

In that same class, our final project was to write something in any of the styles we'd studied that semester, and we covered a lot of ground, so we had a ton of options. I'd worn myself down the week before doing other projects, so at the last minute I said "gently caress it" and spent two minutes writing a limerick about Kurt Russell's performance in Stargate because it was playing on the student TV channel at the time.

"Excellent work! A+"

Later, in a 300-level political science course, the same thing happened. Our midterm project was a paper on voting behaviors among U.S. legislators. I was the only person in the course to include a loving multivariate linear regression analysis in my work and I still got a B.

The final project was a simulation of Congress--write a bill, present it to the class, and they vote on it. I wrote some dumb poo poo about raising speed limits in rural areas, attached a rider that made me president of the U.S. for life, and presented it in the best Alabaman accent I could muster.

A loving plus.

For every memory I have of devoting all my time and energy to an assignment and actually getting the grade I thought I deserved, I have two of either loving off and getting a perfect score or busting my rear end for a B (or worse). It really is bizarro land.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd worn myself down the week before doing other projects, so at the last minute I said "gently caress it" and spent two minutes writing a limerick about Kurt Russell's performance in Stargate because it was playing on the student TV channel at the time.

I think we all need to read this

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Super Waffle posted:

I think we all need to read this

This is as close as you're gonna get unless you want to dig around in a landfill for the floppy I saved it on all those years ago:

quote:

he fights some really bad guys
who'd been telling humans some lies
one took off kurt's hood
so he socked him good
at the end, the alien dies

What was infuriating at the time/is hilarious now is that in that class, we learned that limericks are supposed to be raunchy. So not only was my final project only five lines long, it didn't even satisfy the guidelines for the type of work it was supposed to be :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Like that writing class I had that ended up mostly being about memes and looking at Tumblr and Reddit posts. I've mentioned it before, but I had to choose a meme to write an essay about and to make a mockery of the whole thing, chose Loss. Specifically, the Cyanide & Happiness version. I got an A in that class. I wish it wasn't a final now, so I could share it with the internet.

• Locked thread