Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I got the visual connection between the pictures so they work as a series, even if some of the individual images don't quite grab me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Personally, none of them do anything for me. The main thing is I simply don't see anything interesting subject wise, but I do like the fact you're trying to make this a series which means I might end up liking the overall collection.

There's another guy here (can't remember his name sadly, I think he posts in the photo-a-day thread) who posts stuff from the UK, and as soon as I see his stuff that looks like what I see when I leave my house with nothing exciting going on, I just think 'eh'. His other shots are fab though. I'm presuming you're UK anyway based on the patterning from the crossing in the 2nd pic, and the CeX sticker on one of the bollards. I get the feeling if the same shots were taking in another country, I'd see something different enough from my environment in the photo for it to take more of an interest.

Beyond not finding the subject matters interesting -

The first picture has the corner of something in the top right which distracts me.
The second is just covered by the 'subject doesn't interest me' element.
The third I'd like as part of a series I think, just individually it doesn't stand out.
The fourth looks like an iPhone photo from a drunken night out to me.
The fifth I like the reflected colours, but that's about it.
The sixth I like a bit more, but that weird ruffle in his jeans annoys me. Nothing you can do about that mind!

Obviously not every photograph/collection is for everyone, but that's just my thoughts on seeing these. Other people seem to dig though, so keep doing it!

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Just took my tamron 17-50 out for a spin. I hate carrying around a DSLR and a fat lens to take street photos because it totally ruins any attempt to be incognito, but I must admit the glass produces some pretty sharp images.

IMG_0523.jpg by Kevin Gao, on Flickr

IMG_0511.jpg by Kevin Gao, on Flickr

IMG_0597.jpg by Kevin Gao, on Flickr

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

IMG_3283 by difficult listening, on Flickr

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm going to collect all the photos posted in this thread, and whether or not they were deemed good or bad by posters. Then run it through a machine learning algorithm to see if it can accurately predict whether new pictures posted in this thread will be liked or disliked.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
this thread is an absolute delight and i want to sincerely thank everyone who posts in it, especially the regulars

i am being 0% ironic

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Subyng posted:

I'm going to collect all the photos posted in this thread, and whether or not they were deemed good or bad by posters. Then run it through a machine learning algorithm to see if it can accurately predict whether new pictures posted in this thread will be liked or disliked.

I bet the machine kills itself

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Regardless of the quality of these pictures, I think it's cool that you're branching out and expanding the way you look at the world and take photos of it. These photos are definitely different than when you started shooting, and I think that's pretty cool.

FWIW, I think 1 and 3 are pretty rad.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
4 is good.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8th-snype posted:

I bet the machine kills itself

I'd bet good money on this one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is a machine capable of suicide in itself... art?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

♫ downtown ♫ by difficult listening, on Flickr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I wouldn't consider it a street photo at all :can: but the colors are super nice and I like it anyways

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Haight St. by David Shen, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Put this photo of a street in the landscapes thread.

Also, I love that sky. Wish the light trails were longer, though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

thetzar posted:

Also, I love that sky. Wish the light trails were longer, though.

That makes two of us.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm going to disagree. I like the light trails not blending together.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm going to disagree. I like the light trails not blending together.

Agree with this. It's nice to see individual evidence of cars instead of a continuous stream of light.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I wish we didn't see any cars (because gently caress I5 traffic sucks rear end).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
NW Overton, Portland by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

Street-as-gently caress :snoop:

Glad to see this thread still sucks. Keep up the great work!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Inner Daido by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

Black and White - Check
Back of a person - Check
Blurry - Check
Semi-Dutch Angle - Check
Urban Setting - Check

Street-est photo in this thread.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

Inner Daido by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

Black and White - Check
Back of a person - Check
Blurry - Check
Semi-Dutch Angle - Check
Urban Setting - Check

Street-est photo in this thread.

clearly a sidewalk, voted 1

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

stay real shoot street

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Monkey by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-143.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Careful when taking street photos. You might steal peoples' souls, leaving them standing as petrified ruins.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Awkward Davies posted:

Regardless of the quality of these pictures, I think it's cool that you're branching out and expanding the way you look at the world and take photos of it. These photos are definitely different than when you started shooting, and I think that's pretty cool.

This is definitely new for me. And it's kinda hard. I feel like I have no frame of reference for anything I'm doing at the moment. I'm sure there's artists out there doing similar things, and much better than me, but I don't know them, or know anything about them.

When I started out I went to the zoo and took pictures of animals. Then I came here and went a step further and tried to emulate the style and feel of photographs I was seeing, but it was more of an immediate feeling for a scene, rather than any grander purpose that I was shooting with. I like some of those images, but this is definitely a big change.

I don't know what I can say about the actual images. A lot of them speak to me, but I have no clue how that translates for anyone else. I can't say I'm directly inspired by anyone. I can't say I'm following a particular aesthetic. I really feel like this stuff is my own, for better and worse. The line for me between total poo poo, and having something I can stand over is so thin as to be imperceptible. I feel like I'm doing something of value, but it's incredibly close to being an effort in delusion. And if it is a delusion, then I don't know how I can come back from it, because I never said anything much with my other photography. I'd guess the vast majority of photographers who claim to be into photographers don't say a thing with their photography.

I'll just have to keep going, and refine what I'm doing. It just feels like I'm a little swamped with all that's going on with my endeavour.

Running Man by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

Untitled by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

this owns

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

This is definitely new for me. And it's kinda hard. I feel like I have no frame of reference for anything I'm doing at the moment. I'm sure there's artists out there doing similar things, and much better than me, but I don't know them, or know anything about them.

When I started out I went to the zoo and took pictures of animals. Then I came here and went a step further and tried to emulate the style and feel of photographs I was seeing, but it was more of an immediate feeling for a scene, rather than any grander purpose that I was shooting with. I like some of those images, but this is definitely a big change.

I don't know what I can say about the actual images. A lot of them speak to me, but I have no clue how that translates for anyone else. I can't say I'm directly inspired by anyone. I can't say I'm following a particular aesthetic. I really feel like this stuff is my own, for better and worse. The line for me between total poo poo, and having something I can stand over is so thin as to be imperceptible. I feel like I'm doing something of value, but it's incredibly close to being an effort in delusion. And if it is a delusion, then I don't know how I can come back from it, because I never said anything much with my other photography. I'd guess the vast majority of photographers who claim to be into photographers don't say a thing with their photography.

I'll just have to keep going, and refine what I'm doing. It just feels like I'm a little swamped with all that's going on with my endeavour.

You may explore this for a while and decide it's not for you, and that's cool. Then you explore a different direction, and that's cool also. You just keep going, keep shooting, and keep evolving.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mrenda posted:

Hell yeah that first one

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Dear Street Megathread, I am getting ready to write up a review of the Oly PEN-F paired up with the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 for the Mirrorless thread.

Am I doing this right now?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

windex posted:

you are still posting, so no

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

8th-snype posted:

you are still posting, so no

I have constructed this to mean the photos are fine. Thanks!!

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

Bristol; March 2016 by dunos, on Flickr

Bristol; March 2016 by dunos, on Flickr

Bristol; January 2016 by dunos, on Flickr

Bristol; February 2016 by dunos, on Flickr

dunos fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 6, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

windex posted:

I have constructed this to mean the photos are fine. Thanks!!

they are intensely mediocre but your words are worse so good job I guess

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

This one.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Owns.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

8th-snype posted:

they are intensely mediocre but your words are worse so good job I guess

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sorry

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

windex posted:

Dear Street Megathread, I am getting ready to write up a review of the Oly PEN-F paired up with the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 for the Mirrorless thread.

All of them are just boring. Try harder next time. Your biggest room for improvement is to crop tighter. I would suggest you learn about the rules of 3 or throw your camera away :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Musket posted:

All of them are just boring. Try harder next time. Your biggest room for improvement is to crop tighter. I would suggest you learn about the rules of 3 or throw your camera away :snoop:

You are not totally wrong. I am using a manual focus lens, doing zone focusing, in an effective FL I have not recently shot, blind (without the EVF/LCD).

I still have not quite worked out the focus markers on the lens, especially infinity, which is especially floaty. I am often a little front or back focused there, and it gets worse going closer yet.

It draws less attention than my 5D3 though, even used the same way.