Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Okay I mostly just lurk in this thread and don't post, but that sort of tweet looks like the sort of thing that prompts well-wishers to ask you to "please, be careful".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

A White Guy posted:

If the PLA rolled into town and ended the HK government (which they could do with simply an order from Beijing), there really wouldn't be a lot of capacity for the HKs to resist via some sort of underground resistance. This isn't Qinghai or Tibet, where if a separatist kills a policeman, he can disappear into the countryside.

Also have you ever met someone from Hong Kong, I have a hard time picturing any of my HK friends taking a break from posting pictures of cronuts on Facebook long enough to take up arms against the PLA

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Perhaps the ones throwing bricks at riot police and kicking them on the ground

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Are there Chinese variants of the catchy slogans "gently caress the police" and "ACAB"? Perhaps such phrases could be of use in Hong Kong.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Ceciltron posted:

Are there Chinese variants of the catchy slogans "gently caress the police" and "ACAB"? Perhaps such phrases could be of use in Hong Kong.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Saved.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

same

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

that's a lot of dead cops

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I, too, am trash.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/705745133422125056

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

China is banning all the fun things in media:
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/mar/04/china-bans-gay-people-television-clampdown-xi-jinping-censorship

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

...Reincarnation?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Reincarnation?

Tibet. Dali Lamas are reincarnated.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
They already banned the act of reincarnation several years ago. Good to see the laws regarding media are catching up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Rahu posted:

They already banned the act of reincarnation several years ago. Good to see the laws regarding media are catching up.

I thought they banned it but it was okay if you got approval from the government.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It is, that's why they claim they'll get to decide who the next Dali Lama will be.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 23, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jaramin posted:

It is, that's why they claim they'll get to decide who the next Dali Lama will be.
Please tell me this actually a joke and I am being dumb for not getting it. Otherwise this is like a new level of stupidity for them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Telsa Cola posted:

Please tell me this actually a joke and I am being dumb for not getting it. Otherwise this is like a new level of stupidity for them.

It's complicated but basically they're trying to claim a chosen successor for the Tibetan Buddhism hierarchy to grant themselves legitimacy.

It's really no different from the old "pick an anti-pope when the regular pope pisses you off" strategy, just that the pope stopped being important a few hundred years ago.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

computer parts posted:

It's complicated but basically they're trying to claim a chosen successor for the Tibetan Buddhism hierarchy to grant themselves legitimacy.

It's really no different from the old "pick an anti-pope when the regular pope pisses you off" strategy, just that the pope stopped being important a few hundred years ago.

Are they trying to give themselves legitimacy or take it away from Tibet as a way of taking away a form of resistance?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Are they trying to give themselves legitimacy or take it away from Tibet as a way of taking away a form of resistance?

Why can't it be both? They already have their own Lama, but if they get to pick the next "real" one then they pretty much get their cake and eat it too. They have effective control over the monasteries the next one would come from, so they can claim pretty much whoever they want. The current one is 80 years old, so there's a good chance he wont last too much longer, and has gone on record as saying he might not choose to reincarnate at all, probably for political reasons.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 6, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Telsa Cola posted:

Both, because unlike Catholicism no one really follows that particular strain of Buddhism other than the occupied people.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
And Mongols.....

Mongol Liberation horde 2016

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Jaramin posted:

Why can't it be both? They already have their own Lama, but if they get to pick the next "real" one then they pretty much get their cake and eat it too. They have effective control over the monasteries the next one would come from, so they can claim pretty much whoever they want. The current one is 80 years old, so there's a good chance he wont last too much longer, and has gone on record as saying he might not choose to reincarnate at all, probably for political reasons.

And he's said that if he does reincarnate, it only makes sense that he'd be reborn into the Tibetan exile community.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jaramin posted:

The Dalai Lama also doubts the continued validity of his station and the threat it can possibly pose to the future of his people once he passes. The Tibetan Government in Exile is a modern, parliamentary government and the existence of the Dalai Lama only perpetuates the narrative that the Tibetan Exiles want a return to a feudal theocracy. The Dalai Lama himself is mostly a figurehead and doesn't really play a part in the day to day operations of the government from what I've read.

No Tibetans actually believe the Chinese government anyways. They're not going to change their minds about the last 40 years because the PRC claims they have the new Dalai Lama. Even the monasteries in Sichuan are pretty brazen in their support of the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama is kind of a nonentity.

Bloodnose posted:

And he's said that if he does reincarnate, it only makes sense that he'd be reborn into the Tibetan exile community.

I believe he can do this as well, metaphysically speaking, as a living Bodhisattva.

The whole thing eventually turns into a childish game of one up man-ship. My hope is it gets to a point where China claims it's invented a machine that lets them track reincarnations that looks like a knock off of something out of Ultraman or Kamen Rider.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 6, 2016

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Communist China's Ministry of Religion manages reincarnations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodnose posted:

Communist China's Ministry of Religion manages reincarnations.

The Celestial Bureaucracy has a proud tradition, dating back 5,000 years.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

the Panchen Lama is kind of a nonentity.

That's the key here, in that you have a case showing what Beijing will do to try to control the recognition of the next Dalai Lama- and you also get to see how poorly it worked out for them.

The Party has the whole Dalai Lama thing backwards. They think his advancing age means that there's a countdown until they win the Tibet issue because he dies. In reality if he dies in exile it's going to be a huge destabilizing factor for Tibet for decades to come. Tibetans put up with a lot of poo poo- the way the Party constantly antagonizes them means they have to- but I don't see much of the population forgiving the Party if he dies in India. If that happens everyone loses- Tibetans, the Party, everyone.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 23, 2021

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How do you know when a Lama has reincarnated? Isn't it a bit of child abuse to pick some kid at random and proclaim them a living god?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

How do you know when a Lama has reincarnated? Isn't it a bit of child abuse to pick some kid at random and proclaim them a living god?

Not if you actually believe that that child chose to reincarnate in that form, and will attain full knowledge of their past lives by being a Bodhisattva.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

There's some documentary about picking a new lama on Netflix and it is really weird. The monks just pick a kid usually from a peasant family and give them a painful choice. You can hand him over to the monastery, giving him a better life than you could ever dream of providing, but you will have to cut almost all ties. Or you can keep him herding yaks for the rest of his life.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

There's some documentary about picking a new lama on Netflix and it is really weird. The monks just pick a kid usually from a peasant family and give them a painful choice. You can hand him over to the monastery, giving him a better life than you could ever dream of providing, but you will have to cut almost all ties. Or you can keep him herding yaks for the rest of his life.

Star Wars episode I is on Netflix now?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

No the Keanu Reeves one

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

This is bound to harm some feelings.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

China will talk big and maybe do some economic poo poo but sending anymore ships into that hemisphere of the world to call bluffs and push poo poo will piss off the United States something fierce.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Falkland Islands part of China 5000 years.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Easter Island statues have hurt the feelings of the Chinese peoples.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hurt feelings is God's way of teaching geography to the people of the PRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Argentina part of chinese territory, 90 dash line!