Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

wow, how dare you stereotype gays

Yeah I mean what if they're corporate pantsuit lesbians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
at the end of the day, I know where I'm going. gotta follow the big gay flock.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

at the end of the day, I know where I'm going. gotta follow the big gay flock.

Bye.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

Bye.

rude

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

enraged_camel posted:

Bye.

Man you're angry about sad gay people

Monicro fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 7, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

Not at all. He vocally announced his departure and I vocally provided a response.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Monicro posted:

seriously I feel like I've been pretty reasonable about things? especially considering this is honestly something that upset me a lot and is a subject that touches on a personal nerve.

like sorry I don't watch television the same way you do? that doesn't mean I'm watching it wrong or whatever, there's no need to get so salty about someone criticizing a tv show you like

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

Not at all. He vocally announced his departure and I vocally provided a response.

I am not a he

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
enraged_camel did you really not read enough of their posts in this whole argument to figure out that she's a woman

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

That actress doesn't play a lesbian on Fear the Walking Dead, though. She plays a very annoying teenager with a dead boyfriend. :shrug: so following her there would be abandoning the other, alive LGBQT characters on The 100 for a show with zero of those kinds of characters. :confused:

TWD does have a couple gay and lesbian couples who are doing well, though. For now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Monicro posted:

enraged_camel did you really not read enough of their posts in this whole argument to figure out that she's a woman

It's doubtful. He has a history of being an idiot.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

hollylolly posted:

That actress doesn't play a lesbian on Fear the Walking Dead, though. She plays a very annoying teenager with a dead boyfriend. :shrug: so following her there would be abandoning the other, alive LGBQT characters on The 100 for a show with zero of those kinds of characters. :confused:

TWD does have a couple gay and lesbian couples who are doing well, though. For now.

alycia debnam-carey is a hell of a drug

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Pull up thread, pull up!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hollylolly posted:

You're expecting the kind of lesbians who get angry about this sort of thing to think logically.

The key is that the reason they were angry in the first place was not thinking logically.

they were thinking with their lady dicks

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

esperterra posted:

You're expecting the kind of lesbians who get angry about this sort of thing to think logically.

The key is that the reason they were angry in the first place was not thinking logically.

they were thinking with their lady dicks

that's kind of a lovely thing to say

people are jumping onto fear the walking dead because they're fans of alycia and want to see her in more stuff. don't know what that has to do with "lady dicks".

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Capitalism killed Lexa, not the writers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

people are jumping onto fear the walking dead because they're fans of alycia and want to see her in more stuff. don't know what that has to do with "lady dicks".

It's because the boner clouds the judgment and makes lesbians angry when lesbians die on tv, even when it's a justified case.

So the lesbians follow the girl to the new show where they can theorycraft subtext into shipping and live anew, b/c we are masters of finding subtext in literally anything.

e: people who are such big fans of alycia would already be watching ftwd imho. I know I did when it aired. Never finished it because it was awful tho

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

esperterra posted:

It's because the boner clouds the judgment and makes lesbians angry when lesbians die on tv, even when it's a justified case.

So the lesbians follow the girl to the new show where they can theorycraft subtext into shipping and live anew, b/c we are masters of finding subtext in literally anything.

e: people who are such big fans of alycia would already be watching ftwd imho. I know I did when it aired. Never finished it because it was awful tho

that makes more sense. I don't necessarily agree, but I do agree that we are the masters of the art of subtext, which explains why shows like once upon a time have such absurdly large lesbian fanbases for shows with no explicitly gay characters.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

that makes more sense. I don't necessarily agree, but I do agree that we are the masters of the art of subtext, which explains why shows like once upon a time have such absurdly large lesbian fanbases for shows with no explicitly gay characters.

I mean, really, if you want to get up in arms about bad LGBT representation on television then Lesbian Kingdom Hearts is a perfect place to start. The way they've treated their lesbian character(s) on that show is hilariously bad to the point where the start of the big LGBT plot line they teased about in the off season was just an episode full of Mulan and Red just speaking in vague dumb innuendos.

Like don't get me wrong, I could talk for days about how much sense it would make for Emma and Regina to have all of the sex immediately but that doesn't mean I don't think people are literally loving crazy for getting so upset over Lexa dying. If anything I think people should be happy she had such a send off. They gave her seven episodes to die instead of writing her off immediately, or just having her never show up again after ditching at Mt Weather and writing her off between seasons.

e: like imho this is a really good thing. having a well written gay character die in a way that feels like it was needed within the story is and should be seen as refreshing. to be a character whose death holds enough importance to drive forward the plot is an honour, really.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

esperterra posted:

I mean, really, if you want to get up in arms about bad LGBT representation on television then Lesbian Kingdom Hearts is a perfect place to start. The way they've treated their lesbian character(s) on that show is hilariously bad to the point where the start of the big LGBT plot line they teased about in the off season was just an episode full of Mulan and Red just speaking in vague dumb innuendos.

Like don't get me wrong, I could talk for days about how much sense it would make for Emma and Regina to have all of the sex immediately but that doesn't mean I don't think people are literally loving crazy for getting so upset over Lexa dying. If anything I think people should be happy she had such a send off. They gave her seven episodes to die instead of writing her off immediately, or just having her never show up again after ditching at Mt Weather and writing her off between seasons.

e: like imho this is a really good thing. having a well written gay character die in a way that feels like it was needed within the story is and should be seen as refreshing. to be a character whose death holds enough importance to drive forward the plot is an honour, really.

we will have to agree to disagree about Lexa (I honestly wouldn't have had such a problem with her death if it wasn't so badly written and gave her some agency in the situation and wasn't Tara 2.0. have her go out taking down Pike or something cool, that's all I really want, and what I thought was coming when they projected her death so hard. THAT would have been a good send off in my eyes) but agree about what a terrible show once upon a time is, and that Emma and Regina should definitely bang.

that Ruby/Mulan poo poo was such an obvious oh here we will throw you guys a bone move and it ended up being so laughably weak.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
100+ new posts over night I thought the episode leaked and you were all talking about it but no it's just a bunch of idiots in here.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boris Galerkin posted:

100+ new posts over night I thought the episode leaked and you were all talking about it but no it's just a bunch of idiots in here.

Accurate

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Boris Galerkin posted:

let's be honest here did you expect anything less from tviv

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Troposphere posted:

do you seriously not understand why a lesbian would not identify with a character that has sex with men?

What's a Nubian?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rocksicles posted:

What's a Nubian?

a native or inhabitant of Nubia

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aww you don't get jokes...

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
While the comparison to Tara getting shot on Buffy holds a decent bit of weight, beyond the basic set up of someone getting shot by accident, isn't the situation in The 100 more akin to Tara getting shot by Giles or something? As much as people getting shot by accident can be boring I feel like having it be Titus gives it a lot more significance and makes what follows more interesting than: "We wedged a battle scene in here so Lexa could die honourably on the field of combat (because violent death B is preferable to violent death A for ~reasons~) and now there's a vengeance arc". Maybe it was cheap writing, but it ought to lead to more interesting writing/plotting than a vengeance arc would otherwise. Along the same lines having Tara get shot by Giles would have been way better than anything in the last 2 seasons of Buffy.

It also makes grounder politics more interesting than the circle of: "We want vengeance on Skaikru!" "Nah just wait a bit." that it has been in for a while this season.

Not trying to say that a trope hasn't been used here, but having her die after sleeping with Clarke isn't that much worse than having her alive but never again on screen for whatever reasons they could hamfist into the last 15 minutes of the episode.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I for one am glad Lexa got some of that sweet Genghis Clarke rear end before having the most zen death ever

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing of worth I've learned from this discussion is that Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a dumb show which I should be glad that I have never watched.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Troposphere posted:

It's your loving logic you just used 3 posts before he said it!

Fear the Walking Dead is unmitigated poo poo.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 7, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

The only thing of worth I've learned from this discussion is that Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a dumb show which I should be glad that I have never watched.
There's a bit of backlash due to how Whedon used to be promoted as a bona fide feminist who did fiction the way it's supposed to be progressively speaking. People don't do that anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tara getting shot was hilarious. And then Alyson Hannigan trying to act.

Was it not supposed to be a comedy?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Idk why people are saying Titus accidentally shooting her while trying to kill Clarke was the most interesting thing.

It wasn't awful or anything but idk how many more guilt plot lines this show needs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It wasn't awful or anything but idk how many more guilt plot lines this show needs.

All of them now that Jaha's central conceit is removing the concept of guilt.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Idk why people are saying Titus accidentally shooting her while trying to kill Clarke was the most interesting thing.

I'm seeing more in the opportunity for conflict between the commander AI remembering that Clarke is to be protected and Titus advising the new commander to stay the hell away from them sexy sky people. Trying to guess where shows will go after *big events* is always a bit of a crapshoot though so who knows?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Getting away from the argument that lesbian characters shouldn't die for a little bit, does anyone think Clarke is gonna be responsible for getting a poo poo ton of sky people killed this season? It seems like the only way to make the cloud of death that follows her any blacker and there's lots of sky nazis ripe for killing.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i like identifying with characters that feel things like emotions and love no matter who their particular interest is but seriously i don't get why some people itt are having a hard time respectfully listening to the opinions of other people. If someone says they see something one way then maybe just nod your head and try to understand there are different perspectives in life.

:shrug:

That said, this show has been a guilty pleasure for me though I'm not really a fan of the grounders having such large numbers or their complete disregard for such a small amount of time between nuclear war and a complete lack of continuing oral history and as such i haven't really watched much of this season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am also curious, do LGBT fans get angry when the actor/actress playing the gay character is not gay in real life?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Rhyno posted:

I am also curious, do LGBT fans get angry when the actor/actress playing the gay character is not gay in real life?

make it easier on yourself and switch LGBT with black and maybe the empathy will appear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Luvcow posted:

make it easier on yourself and switch LGBT with black and maybe the empathy will appear

No I am genuinely curious if there's a backlash or anything. Like the wheelchair kid on Glee, didn't he get a poo poo ton of flack when people found out he wasn't actually crippled?

• Locked thread