Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jaramin posted:

Most locks aren't really supposed to make whatever you're locking up completely secure, they're supposed to make it prohibitively time consuming or difficult without specialized tools. The number of crooks who can pick a hardened lock at all is way lower than the ones who would rather just prey on the ones that can be rapped open in 5 seconds.

Last time lock chat came up in this thread someone linked an interesting article about people stealing bikes and it basically said that. If your lock is some combination of time consuming and loud to break, people will go for easier loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mostlygray posted:

Never trust a keyed lock. Use security by obscurity or have a proper safe that uses pins in all 4 corners.

What the gently caress could you have that you think is really this valuable? And if it's that valuable, why not just have proper homeowners insurance?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there any way to "pick" a combination lock?

Iirc, turn slowly until you hear a click, turn the other way, repeat as necessary.

Time consuming but easy as gently caress.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Klaus Kinski posted:

Last time lock chat came up in this thread someone linked an interesting article about people stealing bikes and it basically said that. If your lock is some combination of time consuming and loud to break, people will go for easier loot.

Bic pens used to be able to get through most of those horseshoe type bike locks.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Historical lockpicking schadenfreude, Richard Feynman opened the safes of his co-workers at Los Alamos and just left cute trolling messages.

His boss just told everyone "Don't let Feynman near your safe." Also Feynman might have a lockpicking book? Other security schadenfreude wrt nukes. Passcodes being nothing but 1s. Which to be fair has some argument for.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Klaus Kinski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbklkFuFk-4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nitrox posted:

Is there a cheap basic picking set on amazon that you guys can recommend? I have 2 of these lock-boxes with password long forgotten, laying around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdeMaWkJF2k Just as long as the tool he's using is part of a kit, I'm set. Thanks

drat, I have a padlock version of these, but mine's around a pipe in the garden, wrapped in a plastic bag and under a few inches of dirt. Really, I could have probably saved myself the expense of buying the lock, but I didn't know just how loving terrible Master locks were when I bought it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

syscall girl posted:

Iirc, turn slowly until you hear a click, turn the other way, repeat as necessary.

Time consuming but easy as gently caress.

I thought that was just a movie and video game trope now and dial locks no longer have an easily audible click when you reach the number.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
:nms:

http://imgur.com/YJnUtvP

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What the gently caress could you have that you think is really this valuable? And if it's that valuable, why not just have proper homeowners insurance?

Firearms. Everything else doesn't matter. I never want to find out that one of my guns has harmed a person or, god forbid, my own children. I keep my firearms in a gun safe that is bolted to the wall behind an unsuspecting door to a closet and is too heavy to move even by damaging the walls. The ammunition is in a different locked fire cabinet in a different room also hidden behind an unsuspecting door. Each gun is disabled in it's own way that requires knowledge of firearms to put it back into working order. The solitary handgun I own is in a separate safe within the safe. The gun safe door itself uses a bizarre key that can't be picked unless you have a pre-made kit for it which is unlikely.

I may be a filthy communist liberal that believes in paying people to not work, free healthcare, and a rail system that works, but "gently caress off, I like guns".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZIOE6aMBk

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

You uh, have a description for your :nms: there, buddy?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

13Pandora13 posted:

Butterfly knife practice gone wrong, with a closeup of the immediate aftermath

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Devor posted:

Butterfly knife practice gone wrong, with a closeup of the immediate aftermath

It's floppy. In a bad way.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

13Pandora13 posted:

Man slices the tip of his finger then shows a closeup of his finger tip flapping around.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

13Pandora13 posted:

Idiot cuts the tip of his finger off and shows the camera

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought that was just a movie and video game trope now and dial locks no longer have an easily audible click when you reach the number.

It probably is now but you didn't need a stethoscope to jack a lock back in the day.

Not a safe lock, mind, but just a cheapo combo lock.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Robiben posted:

Man slices the tip of his finger then shows a closeup of his finger tip flapping around.

And not the fingertip, as in he sliced through his knuckle. He sliced under the fingernail and is flopping around the back of his finger that has the nail on it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mostlygray posted:

Firearms. Everything else doesn't matter. I never want to find out that one of my guns has harmed a person or, god forbid, my own children. I keep my firearms in a gun safe that is bolted to the wall behind an unsuspecting door to a closet and is too heavy to move even by damaging the walls. The ammunition is in a different locked fire cabinet in a different room also hidden behind an unsuspecting door. Each gun is disabled in it's own way that requires knowledge of firearms to put it back into working order. The solitary handgun I own is in a separate safe within the safe. The gun safe door itself uses a bizarre key that can't be picked unless you have a pre-made kit for it which is unlikely.

I may be a filthy communist liberal that believes in paying people to not work, free healthcare, and a rail system that works, but "gently caress off, I like guns".

How do you know if someone likes guns?

Don't worry, they'll tell you!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

I had a combination padlock for my locker in highschool, and (being aware of the trope) I tried listening for the click when you reached the right number, and it certainly wasn't audible to me.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I had a combination padlock for my locker in highschool, and (being aware of the trope) I tried listening for the click when you reached the right number, and it certainly wasn't audible to me.

To be fair, you have trouble listening to most social cues as well.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

door.jar posted:

To be fair, you have trouble listening to most social cues as well.

:drat:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

My wife and I were watching this and we both went "did he just...?". Seeing the bit where it appeared that his soul briefly left his body was grand.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Some people own things that are irreplaceable no matter how much your coverage is. Heirlooms, papers, memorabilia.

I keep all of my nazi stuff inside a walk-in safe with a little mirrored table in the middle for when I want to snort coke surrounded by the trappings of genocide.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

mostlygray posted:

This is a good opinion to have.
Growing up, I associated this combination with a certain type of rural liberals. Nature Conservancy liberals, if you will.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
http://i.imgur.com/6jI3a9t.webm

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I don't understand what is happening here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Looks like they're trying to shoot down a drone and that guy just smacks it. It's probably broken now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klaus Kinski posted:

Battery-powered angle grinders and bolt cutters have made it way too easy. If the thief has about 30 seconds uninterrupted and a van or some other covert way to transport the bike, even motorcycles can be stolen just like that.

My motorcycle was under a bike cover, and locked with a disc brake lock and the biggest ABUS chain and lock through the frame and around a street light. I'm guessing they simply cut the chain (there were bits of the chain on the ground) and lifted it into the back of a van. Poof, gone.

And that's why you should always get theft coverage on your motorcycle/bike insurance.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

PhazonLink posted:

Historical lockpicking schadenfreude, Richard Feynman opened the safes of his co-workers at Los Alamos and just left cute trolling messages.

His boss just told everyone "Don't let Feynman near your safe." Also Feynman might have a lockpicking book? Other security schadenfreude wrt nukes. Passcodes being nothing but 1s. Which to be fair has some argument for.

Excerpt from Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cs588/safecracker.pdf (this is a pdf viewer of a scan of the book) Feynman meets a professional safecracker and the schadenfreude is on him the pro uses the same methods that Feynman has figured out while bored at Los Alamos

Other historical lockpicking: http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/perfect-security/ this podcast from 99% Invisible is about the 70 year period in the 1800s when an unpickable lock existed and how it was defeated. There's a text version of the story with pictures, but listening to it is better if you can and there are more details in the audio version.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nah, the best is Knife Crab
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaAKi0NFkA&autoplay=1

The schadenfreude is me for googling this and finding multiple articles about being problematic. Crab videos are the new cat videos.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Schadenfreude : Denied.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tony Phillips posted:

Schadenfreude : Denied.

I have to be honest, good on that guy for some loving fast reflexes.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh there's still Schadenfreude there - the kid won't have gotten off completely unharmed and that guy's wrist, ouch.

Although if he had time to block it maybe it wasn't traveling as fast as I'm imagining.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh there's still Schadenfreude there - the kid won't have gotten off completely unharmed and that guy's wrist, ouch.

Although if he had time to block it maybe it wasn't traveling as fast as I'm imagining.

Never underestimate the reaction time of a parent. It's kinda crazy what can be pulled off in a split second.

Also holy poo poo kid get off the phone and enjoy the game.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My uncle was a locksmith. One of the stupidest people I've ever met. He got fired from a contract opening car doors for people at a mall after he unlocked a car for a thief.

So yeah, lock picking is awesome, but you can be borderline retarded and still do it.

AlphaKretin posted:

I had a bat come right at me last year and I could see it pretty clearly so speeds can vary greatly.

Even with a full second to respond I still curled up like a little baby. It's not so much having time to react, but the manliness of your reaction.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Mar 7, 2016

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Split second later - looks like it mostly rotated around the kid's head.

And no - Nobody should want to see a kid take a bat to the face. Props to dad or whoever the adult is.

Edit - judging by the shirts on the people around him and the foam tomahawk in the seat to his left, that kid's a Braves fan and in for a world of hurt this season anyway. I promise whatever he was doing on that phone was more interesting.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Smelly posted:

Never underestimate the reaction time of a parent. It's kinda crazy what can be pulled off in a split second.

It's baseball. He isn't missing much. :can:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Smelly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGybS6TWEM

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, ok. It was rotating the other way from what I thought.

Instead, it's hitting the grown woman on her phone at a game. :allears:

or i'm just loving terrible at this but let me have my fun

E: I mean I wouldn't really know about baseball but even if we all agree that it's boring, these people paid to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Actually going to a baseball game is the only not boring way to watch baseball. There's a ton of poo poo going on.