Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Artificer posted:

I do not enjoy the Atlas much at all. At least not a brawler build. The lack of range with the AC/20 and the SRMs are just murder. They do a lot of damage when you can get close but so many popular maps that pubbies pick have so many long sightlines that closing the distance is suicide. :(

This comes with practice -- in many maps (even Polar to an extent) there are routes with available cover that can allow even a slow Atlas to close to brawling range. It still happens that you will occasionally get screwed though, so I feel you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ok I had my best match ever in a firestarter and I have to post about it, I can't contain myself.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I don't know man... If you can't wreck poo poo as an Atlas, you might not be cut out for assaults.

Oh and the HGN-IIC is awesome as a brawler.lb20x/ASRM6s and MPLas. Might turn it into a gauss/LLas sniper thing though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Pattonesque posted:

This comes with practice -- in many maps (even Polar to an extent) there are routes with available cover that can allow even a slow Atlas to close to brawling range. It still happens that you will occasionally get screwed though, so I feel you

Hmmm. I haven't had much luck finding them. Going around still makes me vulnerable especially on Polar.

Stringbean posted:

I don't know man... If you can't wreck poo poo as an Atlas, you might not be cut out for assaults.

Oh and the HGN-IIC is awesome as a brawler.lb20x/ASRM6s and MPLas. Might turn it into a gauss/LLas sniper thing though.

Yeah maybe. Being that slow kinda sucks, I'm realizing.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Stringbean posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=379&l=086bff06da614a1ffef0dda7a96102cb3dad049f

Oh yes.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Artificer posted:

I do not enjoy the Atlas much at all. At least not a brawler build. The lack of range with the AC/20 and the SRMs are just murder. They do a lot of damage when you can get close but so many popular maps that pubbies pick have so many long sightlines that closing the distance is suicide. :(

Patience is your best friend. Let the dumb pubbies lead the charge and engage first. The whole time you are behind a building or cover. When the enemy's attention is drawn or they push closer waltz up and start blasting. Polar it's pretty easy to do but takes forever alpine is harder. Honestly on those maps if it looks like both teams are going to sit and wave to each other for 15 min I'll just charge in shoot poo poo and die. I would rather take the loss and have 2 more matches finished by the time the first one is done.

Also build up you multiplier for choosing game mode. If it looks like alpine of polar is going to be picked always choose conquest. It makes those maps actually fun for lights and assaults.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i can't lie, i kinda miss playing

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Raged posted:

Patience is your best friend. Let the dumb pubbies lead the charge and engage first. The whole time you are behind a building or cover. When the enemy's attention is drawn or they push closer waltz up and start blasting. Polar it's pretty easy to do but takes forever alpine is harder. Honestly on those maps if it looks like both teams are going to sit and wave to each other for 15 min I'll just charge in shoot poo poo and die. I would rather take the loss and have 2 more matches finished by the time the first one is done.

Also build up you multiplier for choosing game mode. If it looks like alpine of polar is going to be picked always choose conquest. It makes those maps actually fun for lights and assaults.

Every time I've been on polar, which has only been a few times, to be fair, the teams just sort of sit at medium or long range which I just can't work at. But yeah sometimes we push together and that's when it works out. Otherwise its pretty frustrating. Kind of why I want a Laserback/Lasercrow/Laser Timber Wolf just so I'm more flexible.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

teepo posted:

i can't lie, i kinda miss playing

TEEPOWND

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

The last time I was kinda bored of my usual atlas setup, I threw 3 large lasers on it. It wasn't even any big loss with a 325 laying around.

gave me something to do at longer-ranges anyway.

You can also straight swap the 20 for a gauss if you want.

I enjoy the atlas, but sometimes you just need to mix it up anyway.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

The last time I was kinda bored of my usual atlas setup, I threw 3 large lasers on it. It wasn't even any big loss with a 325 laying around.

gave me something to do at longer-ranges anyway.

You can also straight swap the 20 for a gauss if you want.

I enjoy the atlas, but sometimes you just need to mix it up anyway.

How did you get 3 large lasers to fit? Stripped out the AC or the SRMs entirely?

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe
Woohoo! Mastered my first mech today and drat near hit 1000 damage in a match! The Black Widow Warhammer is a beast.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

grissenko posted:

Woohoo! Mastered my first mech today and drat near hit 1000 damage in a match! The Black Widow Warhammer is a beast.

What're you running on it? Quad ac/5? I jump around dual gauss quad MLas and dual PPC dual uac/5

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 7, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/706890332789575680

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Whelp... :frogout:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Just had a hell of a match in the Hunchback 4SP:

I'm pretty sure I killed their entire assault lance. The four kills I know I got are the Warhawk, the two Battlemasters, and the Jagermech. I think I also got the Victor and one of the lights.

It was one of those magical moments when both teams are bad but the enemy is a little bit worse. It was a perfect storm of bad teammates standing still and soaking damage while I got hits in, enemies being bad shots, and then failing to react at all when I got behind them.

I really love the 4SP in general. Agile, reasonably quick, good brawly punch, and pretty tanky to boot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
PPCs of all sorts are in a bad spot, balance-wise, so they can really use the love. A less than 10% velocity isn't going to upset the apple cart. It'll make them marginally more useable, but won't address their crippling heat, minimal DPS, and anemic alpha.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

PPCs of all sorts are in a bad spot, balance-wise, so they can really use the love. A less than 10% velocity isn't going to upset the apple cart. It'll make them marginally more useable, but won't address their crippling heat, minimal DPS, and anemic alpha.

<cough>

We are seeing movement towards a sniping meta, with reductions in brawling power at the same time. Not a lot of good feelings about such a direction.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

<cough>

We are seeing movement towards a sniping meta, with reductions in brawling power at the same time. Not a lot of good feelings about such a direction.

That's a bad robot that I just happen to enjoy piloting. Don't let your friends drive that bad 'mech.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/706893811650170880

baby steps I guess

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Cool, that just makes my PNT-10K even better.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

EoRaptor posted:

Russ likes sniping and gently caress anyone who enjoys any other playstyle.

Called it:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because they knew a fast paced brawling game would draw people in for the steam release and make the game seem popular / make the bad reviews look like the ranting of crazy people.

Expect all the positive changes to be slowly reverted over the course of the next six months, but be pleasantly surprised if that doesn't happen.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'd like to thank Phorashi for introducing me to Warframe. Great game for when no one is on mumble and all the pubbies are being complete retards.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
idk I don't want them to make brawling Bad but you barely ever see PPCs/ERPPCs these days so small incremental changes are nice

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

I'd like to thank Phorashi for introducing me to Warframe. Great game for when no one is on mumble and all the pubbies are being complete retards.

You poor bastard. :shepface:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Pattonesque posted:

idk I don't want them to make brawling Bad but you barely ever see PPCs/ERPPCs these days so small incremental changes are nice

A lot of this boils down to being able to deliver a high amount of damage in a very precise location, making the extreme long range weapons better at this and the meta shifts. I think some cone of fire, movement and aim mechanics would go a long way and tbh I can't really say anything that hasn't been said better countless times around game and weapon balance.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
The Atlas is actually a pretty good mech. I thought you guys oughta know.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Super 3 posted:

A lot of this boils down to being able to deliver a high amount of damage in a very precise location, making the extreme long range weapons better at this and the meta shifts. I think some cone of fire, movement and aim mechanics would go a long way and tbh I can't really say anything that hasn't been said better countless times around game and weapon balance.

yeah, I think also the issue for a long time was that sniper weapons could brawl about as well as brawler weapons could. the SRM changes fixed this to an extent but if they let it get out of hand then you're gonna have wounded brawlers unable to compete with fresh snipers when they close the gap

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I'm looking forward to the highlander IIC coming out for cbills because I'm going to be able to fill it with 41 standard heat sinks and have super spammable clan large pulse lasers.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

31 tons of heat sinks on a 90 ton robot sounds like a good idea.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I have tested this with a 43 heat sink king crab and it means you get to spam LPLs into people's faces until they would rather turn around and run away instead of face tanking it and trying to deal as much damage as they can before dying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Commoners, please post your builds :allears:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

I have tested this with a 43 heat sink king crab and it means you get to spam LPLs into people's faces until they would rather turn around and run away instead of face tanking it and trying to deal as much damage as they can before dying.

this game does not deserve you

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

I'm looking forward to the highlander IIC coming out for cbills because I'm going to be able to fill it with 41 standard heat sinks and have super spammable clan large pulse lasers.

You could probably squeeze a 42nd heatsink in there.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Maybe this one: KGC-0000

This build and a fire control script for chainfire LPL's might be more fun.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 7, 2016

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Commoners posted:

This actually sounds hilarious.

E; chain fire that poo poo for the full UAC5 wub wub effect.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Christ, a 71% cooling efficiency.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I really would like PPC's to become much better. To keep it from being out of hand though, you could make it ghost heat for firing more than one at a time. I'd be fine with that, as I straight up love having three or more on chainfire.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

God drat, they don't need to increase volicity they need to slightly reduce it's heat.

Talmonis posted:

I really would like PPC's to become much better. To keep it from being out of hand though, you could make it ghost heat for firing more than one at a time. I'd be fine with that, as I straight up love having three or more on chainfire.

No, you really don't. It just encourages peeking and sniping and makes the game boring poo poo.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

PoptartsNinja posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

In terms of PPCs, I've been running this Mauler and seeing good results with it: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=327&l=baa849502626357eecd088f2bc8c0a3bb55eb039

It's nice being able to peg a dude in one component for 20 damage, and while the PPCs are on cooldown you can lay into them with the UACs. Of course the beautiful part of it is when some light shows up and tries to circlestrafe you to death and you just scrap them with the UACs. Hell, works against heavier mechs that close in, too. It's like folks just see the PPCs and think if they just get close you won't be able to do anything. And they are wrong. Very wrong.

• Locked thread