Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

My Linux Rig posted:

Can't wait to see how many would be Democrat voters abandon their vote after Bernie loses the candidacy.

Not a whole lot, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

My Linux Rig posted:

Can't wait to see how many would be Democrat voters abandon their vote after Bernie loses the candidacy.

About as many as abandoned their vote after Hillary didn't get the nod in 2008, which is not very many.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm more concerned about youth turn out with voting and the new stop african americans from voting campaigns in some states.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Paul Ryan has died

It's the Phantom artist but still, I want other people to be confused for a moment about this new

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zeroisanumber posted:

About as many as abandoned their vote after Hillary didn't get the nod in 2008, which is not very many.

Can't wait for the ultra-racist bernieis45.com website to spring up.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
There's an interesting compilation on Youtube of around an hour's worth of news reports on AIDS from the 80's, for those interested in what contemporary mainstream attitudes were like (spoiler alert: they were awful). I can still barely believe gay rights came so far in a single generation. The shitbag congressman who appears around 16.00 lived to see gay marriage legalized nationwide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPO5wausim8

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

My Linux Rig posted:

They don't vote anyways so.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

My Linux Rig posted:

Can't wait to see this stupid loving meme die already.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't wait for the ultra-racist bernieis45.com website to spring up.

Reddit is getting a new url???

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Apraxin posted:

There's an interesting compilation on Youtube of around an hour's worth of news reports on AIDS from the 80's, for those interested in what contemporary mainstream attitudes were like (spoiler alert: they were awful). I can still barely believe gay rights came so far in a single generation. The shitbag congressman who appears around 16.00 lived to see gay marriage legalized nationwide!

Wow. This is a great link, thank you for posting it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Linux Rig posted:

Seventeen. Seventeen is the answer.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO David Brooks is now pining for the days of Obama and civility.

It's amazing how steadfast Brooks remains to his belief of "No, the GOP is still a party of serious-minded responsible government people!" while rocking back and forth in the fetal position.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RevKrule posted:

Paul Ryan has died

It's the Phantom artist but still, I want other people to be confused for a moment about this new

Don't toy with my hopes and emotions like that, rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Can't wait to see this stupid loving meme die already.

It'll die when "hey, have you guys heard that GOP primary turnout is way ahead of the dems? :ohdear:" dies: not soon enough

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Apraxin posted:

This is pretty great. Especially with the first report being about it being a rare form of cancer. Very interesting.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Theris posted:

It'll die when "hey, have you guys heard that GOP primary turnout is way ahead of the dems? :ohdear:" dies: not soon enough

Fun fact, the party with higher turnout in the primary is 4-7 since 1972

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's amazing how steadfast Brooks remains to his belief of "No, the GOP is still a party of serious-minded responsible government people!" while rocking back and forth in the fetal position.

Its really amusing to me because he's basically my conservative friend.txt

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Fun fact, the party with higher turnout in the primary is 4-7 since 1972

That's my point. Just like primary turnout has zero correlation with general results, the number of Bernie supporters who would normally vote in the general but won't vote for Hillary is, to a first approximation, zero. But people won't stop Arzying about either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Theris posted:

But people won't stop Arzying about either.

Is this your first D&D presidential cycle?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Theris posted:

That's my point. Just like primary turnout has zero correlation with general results, the number of Bernie supporters who would normally vote in the general but won't vote for Hillary is, to a first approximation, zero. But people won't stop Arzying about either.

Yeah. I mean, I am a self-doubting Democrat who remembers how it felt to lose to Bush, twice; but some of this poo poo is just stupid.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/706868542940028928

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You won't find the word "voicemail" any where in the constitution.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is this the fabled slippery slope I keep hearing about?

First you abolish voicemail, then what do you abolish next!?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

Originalist office management. Ban all equipment and services invented after 1789.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Phone posted:

at my last job we had a whole discussion about getting rid of voice mail to save money

it was wierd

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So I'm the second youngest of five children. I'm 30 and my older siblings are all in their late 40s. Up until now they were all pretty staunch Republicans save for my younger brother who has never been interested in politics. My older brother is a retired master chief in the Air force and is voting Democrat because he doesn't trust the Republicans to not gently caress over the military and get them involved in another war. My older sister is married to an incredibly wealthy investment banker and is voting democrat because she thinks Trump/Cruz are both insane and their economic policies could tank the economy. She's also freaked out by the religious poo poo Cruz/Rubio peddles. She has two daughters and the whole "no exceptions even with rape" position on abortion scares her. She's your typical "Tax cuts solve everything" Republican who doesn't really care about social issues that much. My other older sister works in corporate investment at a large bank in Chicago and also feels no one in the GOP field is responsible enough not to gently caress with the economy. She also has some experience dealing either directly or indirectly in something Trump had a hand in in. She apparently knows he's not the businessman he portrays himself as but I don't know what it was she saw or was involved with.

I have to imagine there are a lot of "sensible" Republicans that feel the same way as my family, but I had no idea that basically everyone in my family felt strongly enough to say "I loving hate Hilary but these people are insane :psyduck:". I know that's anecdotal and doesn't mean much, but I wonder how many people are feeling the same way.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

Seventeen. Seventeen is the answer.

...What sort of margin of error you have on that number.

Just asking as if its +-3 people they might still be able to get some sort of group discount on a booze cruise to drink away butt hurt.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_revenge_of_the_lower_classes_and_the_rise_of_american_fascism_20160302

Chris Hedges posted:

College-educated elites, on behalf of corporations, carried out the savage neoliberal assault on the working poor. Now they are being made to pay. Their duplicity—embodied in politicians such as Bill and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama—succeeded for decades. These elites, many from East Coast Ivy League schools, spoke the language of values—civility, inclusivity, a condemnation of overt racism and bigotry, a concern for the middle class—while thrusting a knife into the back of the underclass for their corporate masters. This game has ended.

The Democrats are playing a very dangerous game by anointing Hillary Clinton as their presidential candidate. She epitomizes the double-dealing of the college-educated elites, those who speak the feel-your-pain language of ordinary men and women, who hold up the bible of political correctness, while selling out the poor and the working class to corporate power.

:words:

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
https://medium.com/@emmalindsay/trump-supporters-aren-t-stupid-3d38f70f2a2f#.wwo50dgv1

Emma Lindsay posted:

We are depriving the white working classes of their means to give. As we export manufacturing jobs internationally and as we streamline labor with technology, we start moving people to the sidelines. It’s not just that they have less money, it’s that their identity as providers is being threatened. This is why they are often so against welfare. Even if it would fix their financial situation, it would not fix their identity problems. It would hurt their dignity. While the working class is undoubtedly worried about the economy, we already know many will not vote in their economic best interests. They vote for the candidate who promises a return to dignity, and it’s not because they’re dumb. It’s because they care about their dignity more than they care about their finances.

Which, by the way, directly ties in to how they are racist. Not all Trump supporters are necessarily racist, but a fair number of them explicitly are. Normally, when liberals talk about racism, they use “racist” as an end point. “Trump is racist” is, by itself, a reason not to vote for him, and “being racist” is an indicator of a person who is morally deficient.

But, if you don’t take this as an end point — if you instead ask “what do people get out of being racist?” — you’ll start to unravel the emotional motivations behind it. One of the best unpacking of this I have read is Matt Bruenig’s piece Last Place Avoidance and Poor White Racism. To summarize, no one wants to occupy the “last” place in society. No one wants to be the most despised. As long as racism remains intact, poor white people are guaranteed not to be “the worst.” If racism is ever truly dismantled, then poor white people will occupy the lowest rung of society, and the shame of occupying this position is very painful. This shame is so painful, that the people at risk of feeling it will vote on it above all other issues.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Theris posted:

It lets Clinton supporters feel good about themselves since they can't bring themselves to get excited about her.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

It lets Clinton supporters feel good about themselves since they can't bring themselves to get excited about her.

I am excited about her. But hey, tell us more of your totally anecdotal bullshit!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Goddamn Ivy League democrats not like down to earth republicans such as the Bushes, Ted Cruz, or Ben Carson.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/706875762616438784

GO AWAY BLOOMBERG

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It wouldn't be a Clinton election without a major third party candidate.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Well, I don't disagree that Bill was a Third Way Democrat. I just... seem to have drawn completely different conclusions than the author of this piece from that same starting fact.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Wanna meet the one percent of trump voters that would switch to Bloomberg.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Why on Earth would Bloomberg run if it's Clinton.

Hollismason posted:

It would be better to have Greg Stillson as President than Ted Cruz.

Greg Stillson is running and he wants to make America great again.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wanna meet the one percent of trump voters that would switch to Bloomberg.

It's the actual 1% ers looking to support a "business" man. Trump is the defacto answer atm.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am excited about her. But hey, tell us more of your totally anecdotal bullshit!

I'm excited about both Bernie and Hillary. :shobon:

I mean both are actually good choices with one a few marginal differences between them when it comes to what they could actually accomplish policy wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

On Terra Firma posted:

So I'm the second youngest of five children. I'm 30 and my older siblings are all in their late 40s. Up until now they were all pretty staunch Republicans save for my younger brother who has never been interested in politics. My older brother is a retired master chief in the Air force and is voting Democrat because he doesn't trust the Republicans to not gently caress over the military and get them involved in another war. My older sister is married to an incredibly wealthy investment banker and is voting democrat because she thinks Trump/Cruz are both insane and their economic policies could tank the economy. She's also freaked out by the religious poo poo Cruz/Rubio peddles. She has two daughters and the whole "no exceptions even with rape" position on abortion scares her. She's your typical "Tax cuts solve everything" Republican who doesn't really care about social issues that much. My other older sister works in corporate investment at a large bank in Chicago and also feels no one in the GOP field is responsible enough not to gently caress with the economy. She also has some experience dealing either directly or indirectly in something Trump had a hand in in. She apparently knows he's not the businessman he portrays himself as but I don't know what it was she saw or was involved with.

I have to imagine there are a lot of "sensible" Republicans that feel the same way as my family, but I had no idea that basically everyone in my family felt strongly enough to say "I loving hate Hilary but these people are insane :psyduck:". I know that's anecdotal and doesn't mean much, but I wonder how many people are feeling the same way.

My mother is already hard at work justifying her decision to vote for Hillary despite being a lifelong republican. And she's not alone. Trump scares the living day lights out of a certain class of Republican. Some of them will fall in line, undoubtedly, but it won't be pretty.

• Locked thread