Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Amppelix posted:

I'm also uncreative, but I still nickname any pokemon I know I'm going to probably use. I just give them names. Like, real people names.

Same here, though if I'm doing a Nuzlocke sometimes I'll try to stick to a theme, like desserts or planets/moons or something. In Y I nicknamed all my Pokemon the name they're given in the French translation, because that seemed appropriate.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

CJ posted:

Caught my first shiny. It's a Rattata. :c00lbert:

Would you say it's in the top percentage of rattatas?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Kikas posted:

Also boy did X/Y do the series good. It's a much better game then ORAS, even if the 3D battles don't exactly have smooth framerates and they're lacking the newest megas. The animations, the world design, that feeling of adventure, it's just all there.

XY really is a much better game. I went backwards to gently caress around in X while trying to complete my ORAS living dex and was like "Holy poo poo...why couldn't this be the game we were playing for the rest of gen 6 :qq: ?" The world is gorgeous, the maps are varied, the music is better (and yes I played Ruby at launch, so this is even with nostalgia talking), the towns are more interesting, player avatars instead of Generic White Kid Protagonist, everything is just better.

I'm in the middle of trying to breed my Showdown team into ORAS for WiFi playing but man, the second I have some time I'm going to breed baby versions of my favorite mons and restart X.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I'm also uncreative, but I still nickname any pokemon I know I'm going to probably use. I just give them names. Like, real people names.

I have similar nicknaming habits, and it's kinda biting me in the rear end on my copy of Blue. The lack of unique menu icons means I find myself wondering who's who when switching out, and the common non-themed names means that their species aren't exactly clear at a glance. Adds a little bit of extra challenge.

Stu - Squirtle
Max - Pikachu
Nora - Spearow
Mick - Charmander*
Ralph - Bulbasaur*
Lenny - Butterfree

*=Traded in by resetting my sister's copy before she started her actual file.

My Bulbasaur and Chamander both stopped listening to me as soon as they hit lv11 because the Boulder Badge doesn't raise the level that traded pokemon will obey at, so they're kinda benched until I beat Misty.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is there any way to keep the day care from overwriting egg moves?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

In Y I made a conscious effort to give all the pokemon I used names, but shamefully I didn't make the same effort when I started playing Omega Ruby. I named my Torchic "Hotwing" but didn't continue the effort, in retrospec it was probably because I had no idea who was going to stay on my team and who was just a bench warmer until someone actually good and interesting came along because Hoenn has mostly boring rear end pokemon for too long.

Honestly my biggest disappointment with OR/AS was that they didn't follow what B2/W2 and X/Y did with having massive variety of pokemon from the get go, but I guess that would have to be done in the face of not being true to the originals.

On a similar note, I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the whole post-Groudon hidden pokemon thing. Just put them in the grass dammit.

Cuckoo posted:

The second I have some time I'm going to breed baby versions of my favorite mons and restart X.
I'm tempted to get a copy of Alpha Sapphire to do a similar thing, not because I love Gen 3 or anything, but because i want the version exclusive legendaries. :negative:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 7, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

I have similar nicknaming habits, and it's kinda biting me in the rear end on my copy of Blue. The lack of unique menu icons means I find myself wondering who's who when switching out, and the common non-themed names means that their species aren't exactly clear at a glance. Adds a little bit of extra challenge.

Stu - Squirtle
Max - Pikachu
Nora - Spearow
Mick - Charmander*
Ralph - Bulbasaur*
Lenny - Butterfree

*=Traded in by resetting my sister's copy before she started her actual file.

My Bulbasaur and Chamander both stopped listening to me as soon as they hit lv11 because the Boulder Badge doesn't raise the level that traded pokemon will obey at, so they're kinda benched until I beat Misty.

with that party, why not just play yellow? :p

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Looper posted:

with that party, why not just play yellow? :p

That's just what I'm using at the moment - I'm not very far in, so I plan on replacing party members as I go. Definitely gonna grab a Persian and I'm having a hard time deciding between Golem and Dugtrio. I never use eeveelutions, so I'm probably going to run Jolteon for a change of pace.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FishBulb posted:

Is there any way to keep the day care from overwriting egg moves?

No. Best you can do is pull them out before they'd level up to a move granting level, do it manually, and put them back in.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

It was most likely a programming oversight as baby Pokemon caught in the wild in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire don't have 3 perfect IVs anymore.

That's a shame. It was the perfect way to make catching weak babies worthwhile.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Don't moves learned in the daycare usually overwrite moves from the top down? So just out the egg move in slot 4 and just take it out and put it back in when it's close to learning the 4 the new move since you out it in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The move isn't overwritten until you withdraw the parent, so it'll continue passing the move down (though it may not actually have it when you retrieve it).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm a frittata.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 7, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bongo Bill posted:

The move isn't overwritten until you withdraw the parent, so it'll continue passing the move down (though it may not actually have it when you retrieve it).

In Gen 6 you can just relearn egg moves with a Heart Scale anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alxprit posted:

In Gen 6 you can just relearn egg moves with a Heart Scale anyway.

Until it evolves, at least.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doc Morbid posted:

I rarely nickname my Pokemon because I'm lazy and uncreative. I do have a Golett named Goulet (after Robert Goulet, obviously), a Sandile called DILE WITH IT and a few others, but if I can't think of a good (or at least hilariously bad) nickname within two seconds of catching the thing I just don't bother. Naming everything DONGS just gets boring after a while.

yea I rarely think of any cool names on the fly, so I usually just don't bother. I do try to name all of my shinies tho, and I am kinda happy with golgoat 13 the gogoat. literally the only name I've come up with that I felt good about

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Am I the only one who never renamed my Pokemon and could never think of one that I would actually like past one generation? Like the few times I did nickname them in Gen 3 I look back at the nicknames in Gen 6 at the names made when I was 14 and get mad that they are stuck with something so stupid.

"NOWORLATR" the Latios :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Christo posted:

Same here, though if I'm doing a Nuzlocke sometimes I'll try to stick to a theme, like desserts or planets/moons or something. In Y I nicknamed all my Pokemon the name they're given in the French translation, because that seemed appropriate.

If it helps, the Special manga agrees with you. All of X's Pokemon (except his starter, Kangaskhan) are named after their French names.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah I don't nickname my pokemon for the same reason I don't name my car, or my gun, or my tools or whatever.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Anyone know how good the French translation of X/Y is? Considering playing through it in French. Seems appropriate plus I need to keep up my french reading since I never read anything in that language anymore. I assume it's basically equivalent to the English in quality right? I mean, it's a kids game so I'm not expecting Proust but it could be nice.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Yeah I don't nickname my pokemon for the same reason I don't name my car, or my gun, or my tools or whatever.

mods???

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

NLJP posted:

Anyone know how good the French translation of X/Y is? Considering playing through it in French. Seems appropriate plus I need to keep up my french reading since I never read anything in that language anymore. I assume it's basically equivalent to the English in quality right? I mean, it's a kids game so I'm not expecting Proust but it could be nice.

Frankly, I thought the French translation was better than the English.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Firstborn posted:

:yikes:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Firstborn posted:

:stare:

Get ouuuuuuuuuuuut

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Firstborn posted:

N was right.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Naming your Pokemon is a huge part of the enjoyment for me. I have named practically every mon I've caught. Currently in my party are:

Espada (Spanish for sword) the Trapinch
Jabbu the Swampert
Bufanda the Bouffalant
Prickles the Cacnea
Sparky the Manectric (this one was kind of a throwaway name, I didn't plan on keeping him as long as I did)
Zepp the Latios

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i named the three lake guardians after different Low Ki gimmicks

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

If I was going to nickname my Pokemon I'd probably do them after UFC fighters because UFC rules and, like Pokemon, it's all about beating the poo poo out of your opponent for fun. McGregor the Hawlucha. Jon Jones the Prankster Liepard. Roy Nelson the Snorlax. Chuck Liddel the Mamoswine :haw:

Firstborn posted:

Ok Gary :mad:

Hmm. Instead of restarting my X maybe I could buy either a used copy of Y or AS to mess around with Gen 6 again and get new legends in the process. Leaning towards Y because I could use a legit Yvetal (big thanks to the goon who gave me a shiny genned bacon-bird, but I'd like a legit one on deck in case of wanting to make a legit Uber or mixed-tier team). However, the two Pokemon I want the ability to SR the most are Zapdos and Latias. Latias is the star of my sun team in Showdown and Zapdos is just a solid Pokemon all around that fits great into a variety of teams. However, my current ingame legendaries really don't have the correct nature/IVs for competitive WiFi.

Maybe Restart X and choose Fennekin to get a SR-able Zapdos (because gently caress SRing for roaming Pokemon x1000) and buy AS for easy SRable Kyogre and Latias?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Firstborn posted:

Strong power tools, weak power tools...

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Cuckoo posted:

If I was going to nickname my Pokemon I'd probably do them after UFC fighters because UFC rules and, like Pokemon, it's all about beating the poo poo out of your opponent for fun. McGregor the Hawlucha. Jon Jones the Prankster Liepard. Roy Nelson the Snorlax. Chuck Liddel the Mamoswine :haw:

Semi related: My first ever shiny was through wonder trade and it was a Machoke named John Cena

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I try to give my pokemon short 1 to 2 syllable names that are relevant to the pokemon itself. My current party in AS is Fern the Grovyle, Grace the Kirlia, and Squeak the Zubat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Firstborn posted:

This guy gets it

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Firstborn posted:

i see a nicknamed tool right here though

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

This guy gets it

Right in the teeth

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All my pokemon are named after Space Ghost Coast to Coast characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Which one is flipmode?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Firstborn posted:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't nickname Pokémon because if I do I may not remember the Pokémon's actual name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Starsnostars posted:

I don't nickname Pokémon because if I do I may not remember the Pokémon's actual name.

I'm absolutely guilty of this. I have to try hard to remember Heliolisk's name because the only thing I can think of is Daitarn when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't nickname my pokemon because my nicknames are all bad and lame

• Locked thread