Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mors Rattus posted:

Which side wins this way?

If the court denies cert, then the lower court's decision stands in that circuit. In this case, I believe that's a win for the Seattle transit system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mors Rattus posted:

Which side wins this way?

In aggregate the liberals, as there are more liberal circuits than conservative ones, including some that were notably conservative not long ago, like the 4th (thanks Obama!). However, noted losers include minorities and women living in conservative states in conservative circuits, which is quite a few because it includes Texas.

e: Oh, in this specific case it's Seattle I think, yeah.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Would they deny cert tactically? This sort of situation: This could be an important First Amendment case, and enough Justices want it to hit the full nine-member court that they denied it for now.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Quorum posted:

In aggregate the liberals, as there are more liberal circuits than conservative ones, including some that were notably conservative not long ago, like the 4th (thanks Obama!). However, noted losers include minorities and women living in conservative states in conservative circuits, which is quite a few because it includes Texas.

e: Oh, in this specific case it's Seattle I think, yeah.

Hard to say what the denial of cert means in terms of liberal/conservative, or how the court would find if the case were granted cert.

In this particular case the 9th ruled in favor of less expansive speech rights. The 2nd, 6th, and 7th and DC have ruled in favor of more expansive speech rights. Although it might color the case, the fact that the speaker is conservative is less important than the underlying legal issue.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Squizzle posted:

Would they deny cert tactically? This sort of situation: This could be an important First Amendment case, and enough Justices want it to hit the full nine-member court that they denied it for now.

They can re-hear cases en banc later, but it's possible that's why they did it, I guess.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Questions about the proper scope of speech protections often defy traditional ideological categories.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

Interestingly, this is a per curiam decision (an unsigned decision by the majority) which is unusual for a decision like this. I think Scalia wrote this opinion before he died and it was just made a per curiam decision rather than someone else taking credit. It also repeatedly slams the dissent which is a pretty Scalia thing to do.

I'm thumbing through it now, and even if he wasn't the complete author of the opinion it definitely is filled with Scalia's prose and sarcastic mannerisms.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here are judges the White House is considering for the Supreme Court

quote:

Based on interviews with legal experts and others, including some who have spoken in recent days with Obama administration officials involved in the vetting process, the president is leaning toward a sitting federal judge to fill the vacancy — and probably one the Senate confirmed with bipartisan support during his tenure. These insiders, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations, noted that the administration is winnowing its list of candidates — but that it could add more.

The candidates under consideration include two judges who joined the influential U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 2013, Sri Srinivasan and Patricia A. Millett; Jane L. Kelly, an Iowan appointed that year to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit; Paul J. Watford, a judge since 2012 on the California-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit; and a lower-court judge, Ketanji Brown Jackson, appointed in 2013 to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

Not a white penis among them. The only unifying feature is a lack of an extensive record for Republicans to attack. My guess is this leak is intended to give the Republicans another bad obstruction narrative cycle. Merrick Garland, head of the DC circuit, is also supposedly under consideration- the sourcing on that is a bit irregular, which makes me suspect it's coming from a different source or is wapo trying to suggest him.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 7, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Here are judges the White House is considering for the Supreme Court

Not a white penis among them. The only unifying feature is a lack of an extensive record for Republicans to attack. My guess is this leak is intended to give the Republicans another bad obstruction narrative cycle. Merrick Garland, head of the DC circuit, is also supposedly under consideration- the sourcing on that is a bit irregular, which makes me suspect it's coming from a different source or is wapo trying to suggest him.

Garland would have been a lock if Gore won, but there's no chance that he gets it given his age. I expect he's getting considered more as a way to show some respect to him than the White House seriously plans to nominate a someone in his 60s.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That makes a lot of sense- thanks for the insight! None of the other names being floated make a lot of sense to me as actual shortlisters- I'd want people with more experience. I'm guessing the white house's goal is to force Republicans to discuss this lack of experience, thus going on record with media actually responding to candidates so that the same obstruction frame can continue to be applied.

My only requirement for the Scalia replacement is that we get a new Justice with a name that's especially confusing to spell and pronounce.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 7, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It is a strange quirk of current US politics that as senior judges age through their 50s, picking up more judicial experience and making themselves more qualified, they also get progressively less likely to actually get promoted to the most important judicial jobs, because it's everyone's dream to clone either RBG or Scalia and then appoint them to be Chief Justice at age 25.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Garland would have been a lock if Gore won, but there's no chance that he gets it given his age. I expect he's getting considered more as a way to show some respect to him than the White House seriously plans to nominate a someone in his 60s.

I wonder if it could be a "compromise" of sorts - i.e. "Ok, we'll accept the judge that will only live another 10 years or so."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Discendo Vox posted:

That makes a lot of sense- thanks for the insight! None of the other names being floated make a lot of sense to me as actual shortlisters- I'd want people with more experience. I'm guessing the white house's goal is to force Republicans to discuss this lack of experience, thus going on record with media actually responding to candidates so that the same obstruction frame can continue to be applied.

My only requirement for the Scalia replacement is that we get a new Justice with a name that's especially confusing to spell and pronounce.

Is Sri Srinivasan tricky enough for your tastes?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder if it could be a "compromise" of sorts - i.e. "Ok, we'll accept the judge that will only live another 10 years or so."

That's worked well for popes in the past 100 years, putting both John XXIII and Papa Frankie on the throne. I'm willing to give it a shot here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Everyone getting floated has gone through a recent confirmation (so the White House already did a lot of digging and vetting), they had broad Republican support, and they have about the right level of experience - enough that they are credible, but not so much that they have a long list of decisions to dig through. People with more experience are harder to get confirmed.

Presumably the White House will insist on getting actual answers on the candidates' ideologies and such, which they will then forget and become a bland robot of The Law in confirmation hearings. But the less public record there is on their ideology, the better.

Republicans are much more paranoid about people with a thin record because there's a very long history of judges becoming more liberal after they're appointed, and Souter is only the most well-known. Liberals have much less reason to be worried about someone with a thin record because (in my humble opinion) liberal views are the common-sense views and you have to work hard at it to keep them out. I'm not really aware of any Great Traitors on the liberal side of the SCOTUS appointees along the lines of Souter and O'Connor and Kennedy (who might be conservative, but not conservative enough on the one thing he was appointed to do, overturn Roe).

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

vyelkin posted:

It is a strange quirk of current US politics that as senior judges age through their 50s, picking up more judicial experience and making themselves more qualified, they also get progressively less likely to actually get promoted to the most important judicial jobs, because it's everyone's dream to clone either RBG or Scalia and then appoint them to be Chief Justice at age 25.

Early to mid 50s is not very different than the average age of new presidents, new CEOs, or new senators. It's basically career prime time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is Sri Srinivasan tricky enough for your tastes?

Absolutely not.

Justice Xiaozhi Lol ᏛᏭᏜᏅ III, for the majority.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't see Judge Joe Brown on these lists and that disappoints me.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

evilweasel posted:

Republicans are much more paranoid about people with a thin record because there's a very long history of judges becoming more liberal after they're appointed, and Souter is only the most well-known. Liberals have much less reason to be worried about someone with a thin record because (in my humble opinion) liberal views are the common-sense views and you have to work hard at it to keep them out. I'm not really aware of any Great Traitors on the liberal side of the SCOTUS appointees along the lines of Souter and O'Connor and Kennedy (who might be conservative, but not conservative enough on the one thing he was appointed to do, overturn Roe).

There was an interesting episode of the Weeds on this, they also talked about the lifetime appointment system and different ways to replace it.

One thing they also brought up is that the conservative base has constantly gotten burned on SCOTUS appointments with "secret liberals", e.g. common-sense moderate judges appointed by Reagan or HW, while "secret conservatives" just aren't a thing. This is why the conservative base is so angry about the SCOTUS situation and why the Senate Republicans have decided to have themselves tied to the mast and wax stuffed in their ears.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Everyone getting floated has gone through a recent confirmation (so the White House already did a lot of digging and vetting), they had broad Republican support, and they have about the right level of experience - enough that they are credible, but not so much that they have a long list of decisions to dig through. People with more experience are harder to get confirmed.

Presumably the White House will insist on getting actual answers on the candidates' ideologies and such, which they will then forget and become a bland robot of The Law in confirmation hearings. But the less public record there is on their ideology, the better.

I take it then that you expect a hearing?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I take it then that you expect a hearing?

Not really. But I expect the White House to make it as hard as possible to justify not holding a hearing, with the idea that if they still don't hold one that it can be used as an attack on vulnerable senators, and if they come to their senses it's still a good nominee who is hard as hell to oppose. I really only see the nominee getting a hearing if Trump secures the nomination and the Republicans essentially abandon him to try to preserve downticket races, or it hurts Grassley so much that his challenger starts polling respectably well.

The calculus for the best nominee to appoint if they were willing to hold a hearing and the best nominee to appoint to demonstrate the absurdity of them not holding a hearing are so similar you might as well go with the best nominee for the hearing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They need to hammer going into the election that the GOP won't do their jobs, specifically pointing to people like Grassley and the other Republicans up for re-election.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

They need to hammer going into the election that the GOP won't do their jobs, specifically pointing to people like Grassley and the other Republicans up for re-election.

That's a feature, not a bug. Part of the starve the beast approach. You prevent government from doing its job so you can turn around to point at it while going "look how wasteful/ineffecient government is! We need less of it."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

citybeatnik posted:

That's a feature, not a bug. Part of the starve the beast approach. You prevent government from doing its job so you can turn around to point at it while going "look how wasteful/ineffecient government is! We need less of it."

That works better when you're talking about the EPA instead of the Senate. No one's campaigning to abolish the latter.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

computer parts posted:

That works better when you're talking about the EPA instead of the Senate. No one's campaigning to abolish the latter.

Well, some people are. They're not campaigning for election though.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Looking at the approval rating of congress though you would probably get a lot of votes campaigning for it though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Winner is Jew posted:

Looking at the approval rating of congress though you would probably get a lot of votes campaigning for it though.

Looking at the approval ratings of individual Congressmen in their district, you probably wouldn't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

citybeatnik posted:

If the GOP can successfully use this message as a defense against doing a duty that is explicitly outlined in the Constitution then the nation's hosed even if Hilary wins in November unless she leads a retaking of the Senate as well because "well the American People have spoken and as the GOP still holds the Senate they clearly want us to ensure a Real American Patriot is put on the bench and not some commie pinko libtard activist" will be their defense for the next 4 years (and will get even louder when they likely make gains in both chambers in 2018).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the GOP can successfully use this message as a defense against doing a duty that is explicitly outlined in the Constitution then the nation's hosed even if Hilary wins in November unless she leads a retaking of the Senate as well because "well the American People have spoken and as the GOP still holds the Senate they clearly want us to ensure a Real American Patriot is put on the bench and not some commie pinko libtard activist" will be their defense for the next 4 years (and will get even louder when they likely make gains in both chambers in 2018).

I doubt they'll actually make noticeable gains in 2018, at least in the House. If they're able to gerrymander, they've done it by now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

computer parts posted:

I doubt they'll actually make noticeable gains in 2018, at least in the House. If they're able to gerrymander, they've done it by now.

Republicans would be expected to make gains in 2018 because Democratic turnout is always relatively higher in presidential election years, so there will probably be seats that Democrats win in a squeaker in 2016 that they then lose thanks to worse turnout in 2018.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

"We are setting a precedent today. That in the last year of a lame-duck eight-year term that you cannot fill a vacancy in the Supreme Court," Graham said at a Judiciary Committee meeting Thursday. "Based on what we're doing here today. That's going to be the new rule."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/graham-new-rule-scotus-nom

I realize it's not what he meant to say, but "8 year lame duck term" is some real unintentional honesty.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well at least Graham is willing to come right out and admit what they're doing has no basis in tradition.

It's just time to start a new precedent because I don't like the president gently caress it why not, and this is definitely a real precedent I sure won't cynically flip if this comes up again when my team controls the presidency.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

"When a black president is in the White Hou- uh, I mean, when you're in the last year in the second term of a Democratic President... er, I mean, if you're in the last year of a second term of a President and a Justice nominated by a President of the other party dies... it's perfectly constitutional, after all, the framers didn't even conceive of a black man being a Preside... I mean, there being all this partisan rancor from the White House."

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 11, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VitalSigns posted:

Well at least Graham is willing to come right out and admit what they're doing has no basis in tradition.

It's just time to start a new precedent because I don't like the president gently caress it why not, and this is definitely a real precedent I sure won't cynically flip if this comes up again when my team controls the presidency.

Someone missed the memo, this whole shitshow has been justified as being based on historical precedent.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I'm not really aware of any Great Traitors on the liberal side of the SCOTUS appointees along the lines of Souter and O'Connor and Kennedy (who might be conservative, but not conservative enough on the one thing he was appointed to do, overturn Roe).

Frankfurter? White?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Kim Jong Il posted:

Frankfurter? White?

Frankfurter was the Scalia of his day except that he wasn't charismatic and his fellow Justices actually hated him. So yeah I'm with you on FF.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
And now you know why a public defender will never be appointed to SCOTUS.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hillary's another pretty good example, regarding upper levels of government anyway ("She defended a rapist!").

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seems to be the standard attack pulled on any lawyer who ever defended anyone. It's a guilt-by-association tactic both right and left have used.

So I'm not at all surprised by it. It will only matter to people looking for an excuse to oppose her, and any excuse will do for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Same attack is used against judges in states that elect judge. Any judge that every ruled in favor of a defendant is a terrible terrible person