Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
They're called cryptoliths because the flavor text on the land says so. Is there a "you gotta read the cards" emote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So based on the booster packaging it looks like Sorin, Jace and Werewolf Lady are the planeswalker cards in this set. Unless those big closeup arts of Jace and Sorin are somehow not from planeswalker cards.

So I'm guessing in Eldritch Moon we get a Tamiyo and one other.

mcmagic posted:

Best green common.

I feel like she would be friends with Den Protector. :3:

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know why people want a new Emrakul that is guaranteed to be a worse version of the original. I mean Ulamog only got a buff since the OG version set a really low bar.

I do hope whatever Eldritch thing Nahiri is doing actually has nothing to do with Emrakul.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Calling best green common is outrageously premature. Especially since a competitor already exists:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

So based on the booster packaging it looks like Sorin, Jace and Werewolf Lady are the planeswalker cards in this set. Unless those big closeup arts of Jace and Sorin are somehow not from planeswalker cards.

I think Eldritch Moon will be when we find out what Nahiri has been up to, so she'll probably get a card, and Liliana is the face of the set, so Tamiyo might miss out.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

lockdar posted:

I've just joined a sealed league for the first time and this is the pool wizards decided to hand me.

So far I've started by putting blue to the side since it is very shallow, white has allies but nothing special. Black has alot of removal so that seems to be my starting point, especially combined with the early drops and the bomb. Red has 0 maindeck removal (maybe assault) and creatures without synergy. Green has 2 very good cards in World Breaker and Judgement and some good other stuff going on. Colourless is meh but mana fixing is awesome.

I feel there is some ally synergy in W/R but the colours lack any sort of punch or really good allies to put the game away I think. This combination gives me 17 playable cards before I have to start putting in creature enchantments which I hate to do. If I add black I get the vampire and some spot removal with a bomb. The colourless lands need to come in for fixing at this point. Green has good cards but nothing adds to the synergy of the deck at that point.
If I go base B/Gx I end up with 7 pieces of removal (2 "sweepers") and 3 pieces of ramp (lantern, druid, crawler). My top end would consist of 2 pathfinders, world breaker, hulk and defiler.

I feels like a weird pool but I think there should be something good/playabe I can make out of this.

edit:
I'm trying out this...

Reasoning behind it is that the Mind Raker probably won't trigger that much making it a vanilla hill giant and having two -2/-2 effects might be one to much. So I've decided to add all the duals and Exert Influence to see where this takes me.

You have good fixing, and white has your best base of commons, given that it has a bunch of fliers and Isolation Zone. You should definitely be playing your Cliffhaven Vampire.

I would try something like this:
Creatures (15)
2x Makindi Aeronaut
1x Shadow Glider
1x Courier Griffin
2x Spawnbinder Mage
1x Steppe Glider
2x Slaughter Drone
1x Kozilek's Translator
1x Dread Defiler
1x Cliffhaven Vampire
2x Kozilek's Pathfinder
1x World Breaker

Non-creatures (7)
1x Seer's Lantern
2x Oblivion Strike
1x Demon's Grasp
1x Exert Influence
1x Isolation Zone
1x Roil's Retribution

Lands (18)

1x Unknown Shores
1x Holdout Settlement
1x Corrupted Crossroads
1x Fertile Thicket
1x Cinder Barrens
1x Canopy Vista
4x Swamp
2x Island
6x Plains

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Well, how do you top blue getting a 3/2 for 1 on turn 2 or 3? Give them a 7/8 for 2 on turn 3 or 4.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually kindof like Thraben Inspector. The rate isn't that much worse than Elvish Visionary and you could potentially use it in the Spy Network deck.

Hinterland Logger once flipped is probably just going to trade with their bear and deal a couple of points of damage to them, it doesn't seem that good.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

itshappening.gif

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Four Score posted:

itshappening.gif

Database down!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Mr. Peepers posted:

Well, how do you top blue getting a 3/2 for 1 on turn 2 or 3? Give them a 7/8 for 2 on turn 3 or 4.

A 7/8 board wipe no less.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I gotta say, I'm not opposed to any of those rules changes. The "only transforms once" rule opens up a lot of design space a la new Avacyn that allows them to get a little saucier with transform triggers, and rule change #2 is hard to evaluate without seeing the cards that it was designed to impact.

The third one I'm actually all for. I always thought it was dumb that Ratchet Bomb blew up all my transformed guys anyway. I will agree that it's kinda stupid they didn't put a mana cost reminder bubble of some kind though. Otoh if you're using the checklist cards it's pretty trivial.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

A 7/8 board wipe no less.

Like, you can tell they don't playtest Modern or Legacy because it will be trivially easy to flip it that early for any deck that wants to in either format.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

They're called cryptoliths because the flavor text on the land says so. Is there a "you gotta read the cards" emote?

Nah cards are designed for people who don't read them don't you know

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zoness posted:

Nah cards are designed for people who don't read them don't you know

I'd still love a big flashing "RTFC!!" to post at people

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Like, you can tell they don't playtest Modern or Legacy because it will be trivially easy to flip it that early for any deck that wants to in either format.
I disagree. Making 4 pyromancer tokens is not trivial, and the card has a pretty high chance of being completely dead if you don't have a great hand. I can imagine playing it in a very aggressive Git Probe type deck but otherwise it seems a bit risky.

If Treasure Cruise were still in standard I'd like it a lot there but as it is it seems kindof easy to run out of gas.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

stinkles1112 posted:

I'd still love a big flashing "RTFC!!" to post at people

:wow: but with LSV

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Four Score posted:

itshappening.gif

...in like 5 years

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

stinkles1112 posted:

I gotta say, I'm not opposed to any of those rules changes. The "only transforms once" rule opens up a lot of design space a la new Avacyn that allows them to get a little saucier with transform triggers, and rule change #2 is hard to evaluate without seeing the cards that it was designed to impact.

The third one I'm actually all for. I always thought it was dumb that Ratchet Bomb blew up all my transformed guys anyway. I will agree that it's kinda stupid they didn't put a mana cost reminder bubble of some kind though. Otoh if you're using the checklist cards it's pretty trivial.

The times where you have to ask what the converted mana cost of a card on the battlefield is so rare that it's not really a hassle to turn the DFC over or look at the checklist card when needed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's funny that delver's front side costs 3 more as its own flip card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Just the Wind is my favorite flavor card.
Actually no it's Magnifying Glass.
Actually no again it's Thing in the Ice.

I'm really digging this Lovecraftian motif, it really is what Innistrad was missing in terms of full on Horror Plane.

Also, this change to the DFCs means Ugin can no longer remove Jaces by -0ing. This is tragic.

Edit: You can probably play Thing in the Ice in some sort of control deck, it's a decent blocker until you get to 0 ice counters, then it's how you win.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 7, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Four Score posted:

itshappening.gif

Confirmed, no good reason to play MTGO unless you're a pro.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Where's the creepy doll that lets you use your blood echoes to strengthen yourself though

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thing in the ice is a great card

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eh I'm waiting for the creepy doll equipment instead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

I concur, on this set, but Liliana is in promo material for Moon. Suppose we may not get a Nahiri yet, may have just done a hit-and-run on the Plane.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
If we get another fuckin Jace and not a new Mrs. Moonsocks I'm going to seriously reevaluate my massively positive feelings about this set so far

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Thing in the Ice is really good, I think. Also it's awesome.

I am going to draft Mono Winds every draft.

Innistrad rules.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
420 tammy moonsocks all day

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
"That Thing in the Ice was Just the Wind."

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

I think this will make a standard UR prowess/surge deck very real

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's starting to look likely that the Cthulhu thing in SoI isn't Emrakul, but something related to Innistrad's history (but not native to it, as evidenced by the portal). It could be Marit Lage, I guess, since it's an underwater cosmic horror and Nahiri would be old enough to remember it. The tentacles aren't Emrakul-like, they're more sea-creature-ish whereas Emrakul's are more thin and spindly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think this will make a standard UR prowess/surge deck very real

I don't know about that but I feel like it replaces jace very well in that deck.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

That news is from November and they didn't say a peep about anything at the latest quarterly results meeting nor at their annual toy fair last month. It's either just a brand umbrella for their online initiatives like modo plus duels together or nothing at all.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who thought Emrakul would be on Innistrad was and remains a giant idiot. There, I said it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

It's starting to look likely that the Cthulhu thing in SoI isn't Emrakul, but something related to Innistrad's history (but not native to it, as evidenced by the portal). It could be Marit Lage, I guess, since it's an underwater cosmic horror and Nahiri would be old enough to remember it. The tentacles aren't Emrakul-like, they're more sea-creature-ish whereas Emrakul's are more thin and spindly.

True, but the growth on the buildings in Thraben Inspector's looks pretty Eldrazieqsue.

But then, Emrakul isn't supposed to corrupt the land, as she's the one that induces madness.

Edit: Lowball I'd love Marit Lage returning.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That news is from November and they didn't say a peep about anything at the latest quarterly results meeting nor at their annual toy fair last month. It's either just a brand umbrella for their online initiatives like modo plus duels together or nothing at all.

Didn't Hasbro cite investment in magic digital as a huge money sink in a recent fiscal call

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Since they must know that Thing in Ice is a strong card, I wonder what the odds are that they print something in the set that can add ice counters to delay/prevent it from flipping? For example:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

I don't know about that but I feel like it replaces jace very well in that deck.

The problem is mostly that nothing seems very likely to replace Monastery Swiftspear and Thing in Ice is actually doing quite a different thing. I would think some kind of different deck running something like Myth Realized would be a more likely option.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

CompeAnansi posted:

Since they must know that Thing in Ice is a strong card, I wonder what the odds are that they print something in the set that can add ice counters to delay/prevent it from flipping? For example:

That is in fact a cool card, and is also the most Un-Red card I've seen in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that this card:

Is pretty much Fallen Angel:

• Locked thread