Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

new caughtup .gif?

Does anyone have a clear shot where I can see the station logo out of sync with the wheels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKnI1W86FU&t=35s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

MeLKoR posted:

Why didn't you get up and move to the pilot seat?

Sadly didnt know how! and by time I figured it out ctrl F he was back.
Believe me I was trying.

I sadly havent played much if any of SC. Just been vocal about CIG's abuse and misuse.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Tippis posted:

…beaten by another Braben game before it's even out. Someone really needs to step up and stop that guy. :colbert:

Notice how Braben has a hand in the vision for Frontier's games, but leaves the details of designing and building the game to those better equipped to do so... That is the sign of a competent studio head.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:psyduck:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

intardnation posted:

Sadly didnt know how! and by time I figured it out ctrl F he was back.
Believe me I was trying.

I sadly havent played much if any of SC. Just been vocal about CIG's abuse and misuse.

Y-you haven't really put in $25K into this, have you?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SirPhoebos posted:

Y-you haven't really put in $25K into this, have you?

Hell no - I just did that to get at Wesha and other whales!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I feel like I inadvertently captured Bigfoot with that video, I didn't notice it at all

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I feel like I inadvertently captured Bigfoot with that video, I didn't notice it at all

You captured my heart with your videos :sparkles:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/86866/character-customization-can-i-play-as-a-highschool-girl

Forgot about this ...
Yes
Yes you can
Whatever you like will most definitely be in the game

:yikes:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

star citizen's fuckups come at you so thick and fast it can be easy to miss one or two, even one as good as that

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

You captured my heart with your videos :sparkles:

:sparkles:

Wafflz posted:

star citizen's fuckups come at you so thick and fast it can be easy to miss one or two, even one as good as that

They really do, especially at the moment, I am having to leave a lot of crap out

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

EightAce posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/86866/character-customization-can-i-play-as-a-highschool-girl

Forgot about this ...
Yes
Yes you can
Whatever you like will most definitely be in the game

I'm glad female character models seem to be about the same priority as private servers. Never mind high school girl models.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Annointed posted:

Nothing wrong with living out anime shoujo fantasies

The real answer if you're CIG is "Yes, and what is your credit card number and its expiration date again?"

ShredsYouSay posted:

I pledged to psychonauts 2. I am an idiot.

As much as a bunch of people were all like "Grr, Bobby Kotick is the devil" and while he very well may be, he still hit the nail perfectly on the head when he said this about Tim Schafer:

Bobby Kotick posted:

"I've never met him in my life – I've never had anything to do with him. I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it.'

"And do you know what? That seemed like a sensible thing to do. And it turns out, he was late, he missed every milestone, the game was not a particularly good game..."

Broken Age.txt

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-27-bobby-kotick-slags-off-tim-schafer

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Wafflz posted:

A smorgasbord of poo poo

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I also backed Yooka Laylee.

On the other hand, thanks to Star Citizen, both projects are far more defined, and likely to eventually be released.

The best part of dfa were the documentaries showing how doing 3d modelling and animation leads you to never spending time with your children and wife and losing the will to live. Think of that shitizens, when you demand another rework of the Potato.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:downs: Yes tying the in-game currency to $ won't in any way mess up the economy

Because it will feature an in-depth simulation of a living universe, which has an economy that is affected by player action and perfectly adjusted sinks and drains which will, uh, cancel out that player involvement?

And also cancel out any inflation from being able to shove real-world cash into real-value items in the game?

:downs:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

We got a greenscreen!

Last night about 300 viewers watched as I fooled around and configured our new gamestreaming setup here in the LA office. I don't know why 300 people were watching, but there you were.

This week, Chris is in the UK overseeing the continuing work on Squadron 42, but he filmed two 10 for the Chairman before he left, so you'll see the first one of those later today.

At some point this week we're going to try using that new Gamestreaming setup during the day a bit. It'll probably be super informal as we work some more kinks out. I promise you won't miss much if you're not around. No day or time just yet.

Thursday brings us another Around the Verse (hopefully on time, this week.) We have another Wonderful World segment focusing on a popular YouTuber and our ATV Behind the Scenes should be a chat with some folks at Behaviour about some of their work, so you can look forward to that.

And Friday brings yet another Reverse the Verse, the informal weekly livestream with the fans, and another chance to customize those credits that are just WAY too fancy for our show. Also, I think we're changing the on-screen font, because Ben compared it to a genocide and hurt my feelings.

THE COMM-LINK SCHEDULE

Monday, March 7th
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] 10 for the Chairman: Episode 78 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Tuesday, March 8th
- Vault Update

Wednesday, March 9th
- Jump Point Rerun

Thursday, March 10th
- [1200 PST / 2000 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.22 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Friday, March 11th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

As much as I did take a poop on Tim Schafer and Broken Age, unlike Chris Roberts he delivered a product in a reasonable amount of time (even though it was delayed).

You'd probably have Star Citizen by now if Tim Schafer helmed it, because even with $100 million he'd be hard-pressed to over-spend and even though he broke Broken Age in two, he still knew when to stop.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A Neurotic Jew posted:

We have another Wonderful World segment focusing on a popular YouTuber

Been waiting for some official :pgabz: coverage

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Berious posted:

A smorgasbord of poo poo

like trying to drink from a firehose of poo poo and bugs

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Left for a week to go to a couple funerals and fall over a hundred pages behind. Three days later, finally caught up. My face hurts from laughing soo drat much. :pgabz::swoon:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:downs: Yes tying the in-game currency to $ won't in any way mess up the economy

Because it will feature an in-depth simulation of a living universe, which has an economy that is affected by player action and perfectly adjusted sinks and drains which will, uh, cancel out that player involvement?

And also cancel out any inflation from being able to shove real-world cash into real-value items in the game?

:downs:

Don't worry, no nerds have spent insane amounts of cash on star citizen so no one should be injecting tons of UEC into the economy. There's no precedent here.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

orcinus posted:

:five:

I'm finding the fact your ship's an order of magnitude less janky and more maneuverable than SC perhaps the most hilarious part of this.
Funnier than everything else in it.

I mean, I'm biased but it feels pretty good to fly! I'm just a dilettante in game programming, but the fact that some rando guy can make a spaceship feel like a spaceship in a month isn't so much an endorsement of me, it's a giant flaming arrow right at CIG and all the ridiculous complexity they've used to move a ship. This is why "vision" and "management" aren't just buzzwords. They're either close allies, or enemies that can derail even the best programmers/artists.

I can tell you, if I'd tried to accurately model ship thrust and rotation on 3 axes by applying separate physics forces at individual thruster locations, I'd be pissing away my best ideas for days or weeks or months PER SHIP. And God help me if I wanted to change anything about the ship. Start from scratch.

This is why Chris and his "big ideas" are so toxic to the actual making of a game. Only an idiot would think "well, this is how space ships fly in real life, therefore it will help make this game better. If I could only find a sugar daddy to give me the years of legit rocket science required to sort it all out..."

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Here is a generic space marine/fps hero template,comes with phrases such as "The immersion is overloading the reactor" "Roger roger rico delta" and everyone's favourite "Where the gently caress is my chair?"*

Feel free to draw whatever you want on it and don't forget to share.

*does not actually*
also I didn't draw feet because i'm actually rob liefeld.

Someone quick incorporate johnny fiveaces into this

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wafflz posted:

Don't worry, no nerds have spent insane amounts of cash on star citizen so no one should be injecting tons of UEC into the economy. There's no precedent here.

Chris Roberts thinks that fixing a game currency to real money at a flat rate so that he can directly sell that currency is a good idea.

That alone should send anyone familiar with MMOs running for the hills.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

You were immersed, commando.

Toops posted:

Only an idiot would think "well, this is how space ships fly in real life, therefore it will help make this game better. "

Except their ideas of how a ship flies in real life are idiotic and uninformed.
That's what irks me the most, i think. Both CIG and the rabid backers are convinced it's realistic and detailed.

But the details are all wrong, completely NOT based in reality nor science, heck, not even logic or common sense.
And to top it off, every thing they claim to simulate is just a bunch of randomly fudged properties.

What's "realistic thrust and momentum modeling" to an SC backer is, in reality, an XML tweaking relative strengths of thrust depending on direction.
They don't even model the positions of thrusters on the ships, nor their relation to the center of mass. It's completely hollow.
In reality, it's no more complicated than your model, except you haven't fudged it up with random constants and bogus functions, trying to get it to seem more complicated than it is.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Chris: can I get a status update on the overhaul of that "piece of poo poo chat system" in the Baby PU?

Seems like some lacky should have redone it at least twice by now...

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

I think Wafflz and I just had an idea for Solar Plebeian...

Oh btw, on the topic of firing human torpedoes... When battling in the Stimpire arena, they will periodically flood the arena with the bodies of those who stand against the Stimpire. As such, you can ram them for extra points, or collect them at low speed (like the birds), and maybe, just MAYBE, you'll be able to acquire the Stimperian Corpse Cannon and put those bodies to good use...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

by the way gently caress anyone here who pledges to the inevitable molyneux kickstarter

you are dead to me

I will pledge as Eonwe. No need to thank me.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

Oh btw, on the topic of firing human torpedoes... When battling in the Stimpire arena, they will periodically flood the arena with the bodies of those who stand against the Stimpire. As such, you can ram them for extra points, or collect them at low speed (like the birds), and maybe, just MAYBE, you'll be able to acquire the Stimperian Corpse Cannon and put those bodies to good use...

I hope some of them are T posed!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

THIS DAY IN THREAD HISTORY: 2015

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 7, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D1E posted:

Yo, seriously Uncle Derek - are you doing okay?

We haven't seen much of you in this thread since your meeting with President Obama, when he kind of implied you might be jealous of Chris Roberts. I'm worried you might be a bit depressed.

Don't feel bad man. We can't all be married to marketing geniuses.

Derek´s communications disruption could mean only one thing: Invasion Law suit.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oh, uh, that- I don't think doors are supposed to do that

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm I mention something about the comm link not being updated and a hour later it updates. I wonder.

Hey paid person reading this thread, unturd the xian scout, it seriously is a grey turd. Fix the doors too while you're at it. You can deal with the janky rings later.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

I will pledge as Eonwe. No need to thank me.

:eyepop:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

I loving love you. Seriously. This game is one of the best parts of a thread that is a collection of the best parts of citizen-poo poo.

Every time I see what you guys make I'm jealous and proud.

(please T-pose some of them)

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Lime Tonics posted:

Hey paid person reading this thread, unturd the xian scout, it seriously is a grey turd. Fix the doors too while you're at it. You can deal with the janky rings later.

And get me a status update on the overhauled chat system pronto, lackey!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

I'm so glad they greatly improved physical EVA....and that they turned it back on for 2.2.

I'm also glad I don't have to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh, uh, that- I don't think doors are supposed to do that

That's just the anti-boarder defense. It exists to stop carebears from ever having to worry about someone stealing their ship.

That Commando just didn't have the right password, is all.

• Locked thread