Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Most of this game is very goal oriented, and I think it works well in that department. I'll usually play until I achieve something (Expand house, get better pick axe so I can explore the caves more, etc.) The community center is a good way to direct which crops you need to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

YES bread posted:

you said you're nearing the bottom of the mines so they absolutely are going to be an option for you unless i dunno, you never leveled up mining skill?

Yeah if you are diving the mine early there's no way you are going to be mining 8. I actually just hit mining 6 on summer 8, so during the time that the stone stuff is most acute you're actually restricted to cherry bombs mostly. Megabombs would be perfect for the problem but they end up happening almost a month late for what I need

You get a couple of bombs from killing stuff but those are mostly to be reserved for blasting down the mine

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
In the middle of Fall 1 now. Built a coop and have one brown chicken. I lucked out and got an Ancient Fruit at the start of the season, which I threw into my preserve jar.

Also my first friend (aka the one that nabbed me the achievement) was Shane. :unsmith: Do hats offer any bonuses or are they just for show?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Just for show. Dress up your character like a pretty princess!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a stylish hat is its own reward sir

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Jesus christ, with how high my Foraging skill is Blackberry season is insane.

Also what, I can brew amaranth?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I hope proper modding support comes soon, as well as Steam workshop.

Though I dread to think how many workshop mods will just be reskins... and how many will be hats.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I for one would mod way more hats in, this is not a bad thing

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

m2pt5 posted:

I hope proper modding support comes soon, as well as Steam workshop.

Though I dread to think how many workshop mods will just be reskins... and how many will be hats.

Modding is about to significantly advance with the release of a new modding API, Storm, soon. Should allow much more access to things that are currently hardcoded--levelling, shop inventories, the last bits of dialogue, etc.

There's already a TON of reskin mods out there, the majority either of the bachelorettes or animals.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Re: Mods

I'm using this at the moment: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/smapi-0-37-in-game-cheat-menu-v1-3-2-6-mar-2016.108004/

And it's pretty handy. Now that my game isn't crashing every 15 minutes I'm really, really enjoying the game. Time to explore!

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Also, I have 2 hats. How do I put them on my character?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I was just watching living off the land on tv, which as far as I can remember always offers actual tips of some sort not just flavour text and it says: "Some farmers have reported strange things happening when large fields of cauliflower, melon, or pumpkin reach maturity." Anyone know what that's about?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

nonpromqueen posted:

Also, I have 2 hats. How do I put them on my character?

In your inventory menu, there should be a little space at the bottom with your farmer's name and portrait. Next to that are four equipment boxes - hat, rings, and shoes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LibbyM posted:

I was just watching living off the land on tv, which as far as I can remember always offers actual tips of some sort not just flavour text and it says: "Some farmers have reported strange things happening when large fields of cauliflower, melon, or pumpkin reach maturity." Anyone know what that's about?

A 3x3 patch of those crops will sometimes grow into a single super-crop that generates twice as many resources when harvested. (Which I believe you have to do by chopping it down with an axe -- I've never had one, just seen screenshots.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

LibbyM posted:

3x3 of non-regrowing crops can sometimes mutate into a huge one of that crop that drops a whole bunch of it when you break it.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

I can't believe I never noticed this. Guh.

Angry Diplomat posted:

In your inventory menu, there should be a little space at the bottom with your farmer's name and portrait. Next to that are four equipment boxes - hat, rings, and shoes.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

Modding is about to significantly advance with the release of a new modding API, Storm, soon. Should allow much more access to things that are currently hardcoded--levelling, shop inventories, the last bits of dialogue, etc.

There's already a TON of reskin mods out there, the majority either of the bachelorettes or animals.

Just mod me some steel vats so I can put 10-25 hops in at a time. I need to start Stardeweiser Brewing Co.

I kinda wish there was an ultimate farm specialization feature, be it a Winery, Brewery, Corn, Cattle, Chicken Farm etc.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Ah okay, I used to plant a lot of 3v3 and never got a chance to see it. So much of my farm is 8tile sprinkler set up now that I might never see it, but that's cool to know about.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

3x3 of non-regrowing crops can sometimes mutate into a huge one of that crop that drops a whole bunch of it when you break it.

Incidentally, currently only applies to three crops: pumpkin, melon, and cauliflower.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

I kinda wish there was an ultimate farm specialization feature, be it a Winery, Brewery, Corn, Cattle, Chicken Farm etc.

Just make the final upgrade be the ability to hire Shane as a farmhand and build a workshop for him to work out of, freeing him from the endless corporate hell of JojaMart employment. You can go to the bulletin board in his little workshop area and change his work assignment to toggle stuff like, "water all dry crops, harvest ripe crops and deposit them in workshop storage," "feed and care for animals, gather animal products and deposit them in workshop storage," "gather stone and minerals at the quarry and deposit them in workshop storage," "gather wood and hardwood from the forest and deposit it in workshop storage," "go foraging and deposit everything you find in workshop storage," and so on. Then you can let him automate that element of your farm and simply gather all the stuff from the workshop bin when you want to do something with it.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Is there a list of villagers you need to meet for the "Introductions" mission? I've just got one left to go and it's driving me insane. I thought it may be Kent, but it turns out he doesnt appear for the first year

I'm tempted to abandon the quest but I'm worried I'll miss out on something or mess the game up somehow :ohdear:

Nevermind, it was Caroline. Just found her.

\/ Thanks for the tip! :)

a glitch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 7, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

a glitch posted:

Is there a list of villagers you need to meet for the "Introductions" mission? I've just got one left to go and it's driving me insane. I thought it may be Kent, but it turns out he doesnt appear for the first year

I'm tempted to abandon the quest but I'm worried I'll miss out on something or mess the game up somehow :ohdear:

I didn't finish my introductions until like halfway through the first year. If you check your relationships screen you should see the unmet person listed there as ??????

If you still can't figure it out, a good plan is to enter every house in town around 9:00 AM, hang out in the saloon at 6 to 7 PM, and drop in at the clinic every once in a while. Chances are you'll see someone you don't recognize sooner or later.

I think there are a couple of villagers that wait for a while to introduce themselves in scripted events, though. What's your in-game date?

e: Oh, well then, problem solved! :haw: Protip: give Linus (the homeless forager guy) some foraged food whenever you happen by him. He really likes it, so it's very easy to build up his friendship. As you might expect, he doesn't have much to share, but he'll occasionally send you a recipe in the mail.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
My last hold out was the guy that lives in the beach shack because he keeps his door locked and doesn't seem to come into town much. Eventually I was on the beach and heard a door slam and finally got him.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
Does anyone know if those lightning rod things decay naturally? One of mine has mysteriously vanished. They've been sitting around for over two seasons now while I still await a lightning storm.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

They shouldn't decay but they can apparently be damaged by a couple of things.

Basically, don't leave them out unless it is Summer, since thunderstorms only happen in summer anyway.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

Basically, don't leave them out unless it is Summer, since thunderstorms only happen in summer anyway.

What things? Anything besides fence decay? I don't have any fences.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I had a thunderstorm happen in the first or second week of Fall and got batteries from it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Aerox posted:

I had a thunderstorm happen in the first or second week of Fall and got batteries from it.

The weather does bleed a bit. I've gotten thunderstorms in very late Spring/very early Fall. You should really just be checking the weather each day and if it says tomorrow is a storm, throw all your rods out there and pretend you're Ben Franklin :science:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's some isolated reports of lightning rods being damaged by the first earthquake, as an example of the things I'm talking about.

Also awesome that thunderstorms can happen in fall, I want more battery packs goddamn it

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Gus is a bro. As soon as I got to 2 hearts with him, he both sent me a homecooked meal and a new recipe in the same day. He's also a violinist, apparently, he gave us a private serenade during a dinner date cutscene with another person.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm sitting on 10 Iridium Sprinklers now and I've only made two. Just always check the traveling vendor and buy one whenever it shows up. I think that's about the breakpoint where farming becomes tedium. Harvesting all the blueberries and hops (hops are off of 6 T2 Sprinklers) takes me all morning as-is.

Also, holy poo poo I never thought about storing hay in my own bins! I've built like 5 silos so far and am capped out on hay with like 1/2 my farmstead still fully grassed over. Now I can clearcut everything and not worry about wasting hay! I still don't like having the animals outisde because it seems like they don't always produce daily (eggs, cow milk) if they're outside. But if they're inside I'll always get them no problem. Money really isn't an issue anymore, though, so maybe I should just chill and let them roam.
You can get the best of both methods. Close the barn and coop doors at night before you go to bed. Go inside to pet and collect in the morning then open the door on your way out so the animals can eat grass during the day. You'll get full production without having to fool with putting out hay every day.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Coming up on the next stardew fair, I lost to Pierre last year. Are artisan goods like wines rated higher than golden crops?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LibbyM posted:

Coming up on the next stardew fair, I lost to Pierre last year. Are artisan goods like wines rated higher than golden crops?

Based on some of the text for the event I think you're rewarded more highly for having goods from a variety of different skills.

Alternatively, catch one of the Legendary Fish and just stick that in with whatever and win near-automatically.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

grrarg posted:

You can get the best of both methods. Close the barn and coop doors at night before you go to bed. Go inside to pet and collect in the morning then open the door on your way out so the animals can eat grass during the day. You'll get full production without having to fool with putting out hay every day.

I'm not 100% on exactly how the coop works (I just built one yesterday) -- animals don't produce if they're outside? If you close the coop with chickens still in the field do they get trapped outside? Is there a way to force them inside?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unless it gives you something other than event funbucks and there's more to buy at the festival there's not even any point in bothering with it once you've done it once

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

so on tuesdays and thursdays maru leaves the farm to go to work. which was odd because she never shows up at the clinic and i just chalked it up to how abruptly your spouse seems to drop out of the game world once you're married. but then winter comes around and i find where she's been hiding whenever she's "off to work"

she's hard to see, but she's there. play where's waldo and see if you can see her!

right...

there...!

she's been there all day and doesn't respond to me. so apparently she walks off the farm and stands still in the snow, most likely locked in a moment of existential despair as she realizes she gave up a life of academic achievement and scientific pursuits to become the wife of a farmer who spends more time fishing than farming.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

LibbyM posted:

Community center fully restored year 2, fall 2nd. I think rushing to complete it before the end of year 2 gave me a lot of direction and purpose in this game, hopefully I don't start to drift away from it now that I have no real goal. Either way more than got my money's worth out of this great game.

A lot of achievements to do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Do people actually use the community center once it gets restored, or is it pretty much still ignored by everyone?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Aerox posted:

I'm not 100% on exactly how the coop works (I just built one yesterday) -- animals don't produce if they're outside? If you close the coop with chickens still in the field do they get trapped outside? Is there a way to force them inside?
They produce if they are outside, but in the case of chickens, it can be annoying collecting eggs if they lay them outside in the grass. You have to move the pointer around until it changes to a +. It is easier to collect eggs inside in the morning then let them out. You can trap them outside, but I think staying outside at night is bad for their happiness. They will go in automatically when it gets dark if the door is open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Do people actually use the community center once it gets restored, or is it pretty much still ignored by everyone?

Yeah, I was looking for Clint one day and he was not in his shop, couldn't find him anywhere. Decided to check the center and he was there with some others