Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, all the ships are KS only right now. The smallest ship for UCM, I think it's the New Orleans strike carrier, was a show-only model that Hawk had at shows last year, that's the only one out in the wild right now. Hawk had a table of stuff for sale, including the show-only Resistance double-decker AA missile bus (which I had to pick up) but they didn't have any of the strike carriers. I assume they made the production run and sold out of the ships and were selling the last Resistance show-only models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
They do have late backer sales through the pledge manager now up until March 21s, but you don't get the KS rewards. Still at a discount from retail and access to some of the exclusives, though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Right now the Dropfleet models are KS only right?

e. As in, is it still possible to order some?

I think you can still get on here: http://dfcpm.com/

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is it possible to modify a "completed" order? The Shaltari ships turned out cooler than I expected so I kind of want to add an Adamant BC, but I can't seem to find the option to do so.

EDIT: NVM, found the email.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks! I couldn't find any info on whether the pledge manager was just for existing backers or also accepting new ones.

I'm not a big fan of the Dropzone models in general so I skipped over Dropfleet, but turns out everything they're making is sweet as hell. I mostly want some ships from each faction to paint.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I really like all the factions except the PHR. I want to like them, but something about them kills it for me. I didn't like the Shaltari at first, but after they showed physical models of them I like them a lot more.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

krushgroove posted:

A lot of Scourge ships also have a rule that reduces the effectiveness of ship armor if they're in close range. It's pretty nasty, and negates the EW the target might have.

By 'negates', do you the Scourge bonus counters the EW buff making it a normal roll, or that the Scourge literally negate the EW and dish out maximum hurt on top?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I really like all the factions except the PHR. I want to like them, but something about them kills it for me. I didn't like the Shaltari at first, but after they showed physical models of them I like them a lot more.

Myself I really like the UCM and PHR (tempted to try going with some crazy Chris Foss scheme on all of those open surfaces of the latter). Shaltari/Scourge just kind of end up looking like endless detail overload to my eyes.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

darnon posted:

Myself I really like the UCM and PHR (tempted to try going with some crazy Chris Foss scheme on all of those open surfaces of the latter). Shaltari/Scourge just kind of end up looking like endless detail overload to my eyes.

I think the ships are at the great medium of putting a lot of work into making them look great, plus it would be easy to get a decent tabletop level out of them with basecoat/wash/drybrush.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

krushgroove posted:

e: if anyone doesn't do Facebook, I put all the phone pictures I uploaded yesterday and the edited pictures I did today on Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/0VmUb/new

Thanks.

Which ship is this one?

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

Tanith posted:

Thanks.

Which ship is this one?

That is the civilian luxury cruise liner.

There will be a special game mode using that model.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Tanith posted:

Thanks.

Which ship is this one?

That would be 'the sexy one'. As the man says, it's the KS exclusive civilian liner which will come with its own scenario(s).

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a different retail version at some point but nothing is announced for that yet.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

wdarkk posted:

It's actually the PHR stuff that convinced me. Love the entire range except for the unreadable Scourge.

e. Now I remember! The PHR ships remind me a ton of the Legend of Galactic Heroes empire's ships.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 7, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah Dave mentioned in one of the videos that there will be a scenario using the cruise liner.

I'm hoping there will be lots of official scenarios using the space stations, ships in docking bays, killing the fleet flagship, that sort of thing. I came up with one that involves a station at a black hole event horizon, and ships across the event horizon drift to the map edge at different rates depending how far across the horizon they are, and once you're off the map the ship is sucked into the black hole. There's a range of standard scenarios already in the beta rules, which give varying victory points for controlling clusters, destroying or not destroying clusters as well as having more ship tonnage near a custer. There's also what they call a 'very basic' fleet construction guide (every faction will have their own specific fleet guide) to

Ugleb posted:

By 'negates', do you the Scourge bonus counters the EW buff making it a normal roll, or that the Scourge literally negate the EW and dish out maximum hurt on top?

The Scourge special rule just counters the EW buff, it's quite simple. The UCM player would say 'this ship gives everything in range +1 to my armor rolls' and the Scourge player would say 'ah but this ship adds a +1 to my attack roll' so effectively the defense is negated. Sorry if I confused things, I just think of it as the defense is countered and that's it. Most of the rules are quite simple so there's very little recordkeeping that isn't already on the ship bases, which is great for me.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Tanith posted:

Thanks.

Which ship is this one?

This is the sort of KS exclusive cheesecake model I'd like to seer more of. Hubba hubba.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I ordered two civilian liners and I am happy with this decision.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Forgive me, wallet, for I have sinned.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Forgive me, wallet, for I have sinned.

I think your wallet secretly approves of your life choices.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
When the time for the pledge manager came i forgot about the free cruise liner and only saw the extra i ordered for a friend so i added another. So i'll have two as well i guess :v:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I bought so much stuff and am so excited... I knew that none of my friends wanted in on the kickstarter, but knew if I got stuff I could get them to play... so I dropped a ton and am getting fleets for everyone... Basically sometime in June I'm going to get a giant box that will keep me busy painting and building for months... I'm already planning to pick up an airbrush in the next month or two so i have time to learn how to use it in time for dropfleet.

I'm jealous of the admirals getting beta rules and can't wait to get my hands on this stuff in a few months.

Edit: Did you get any idea what the spru's might look like from the models they had? Im trying to figure out what level of magnetization will be possible for the UCM.

Pash fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 7, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pash posted:

Edit: Did you get any idea what the spru's might look like from the models they had? Im trying to figure out what level of magnetization will be possible for the UCM.

From the videos you can see they magnetized the turrets on the UCM and I think the different configurations can be magnetized if you want (for all the ships), but they didn't show any of the individual parts of the ships except for PHR. It would be nice to see what the different sprues look like but maybe they haven't laid them out yet for the machining of the molds, that's the only reason I can think of why they haven't shown sprue renders yet.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Based on what weve seen from the ucm so far i'm exepcting to do the hull type (light/medium/heavy/carrier) fixed and make the weapons swappable.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

krushgroove posted:

Every faction has superheavy ships, some of them have launch capacity, others have really powerful guns.

Would you mind going into more detail about this? The Reconquest Phase 1 rulebook has brief mentions of the Scourge having a tiny number of Superdreadnoughts not seen since the invasion, and the UCM fluff has mentioned them having dreadnoughts. Your wording implies some factions have supercarriers instead of dreadnoughts, is that true?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Some pics of some of the armies out on the field from Sunday, plus my Dropfleet Strike Carrier(?) from Hawk. :) Forgive the phone pics, I didn't take them as I was sick. :(

pew pew

Gutted I missed it due to illness.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 7, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Are there any mechanical differences between the launch assets of different factions?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Loxbourne posted:

Would you mind going into more detail about this? The Reconquest Phase 1 rulebook has brief mentions of the Scourge having a tiny number of Superdreadnoughts not seen since the invasion, and the UCM fluff has mentioned them having dreadnoughts. Your wording implies some factions have supercarriers instead of dreadnoughts, is that true?

Yeah, every faction has a couple of superheavies at this point (which could change) but I haven't seen a mention of dreadnoughts - those could be the KS-exclusive ships or something for a future expansion, I don't know. There's almost no 'fluff' in the beta pack so far, which is understandable, and I don't have the Reconquest book, I should have picked one up while I could! Which reminds me I should read up on the fluff in the main book.

wdarkk posted:

Are there any mechanical differences between the launch assets of different factions?

Nope, gamewise they're identical. Some carriers are able to launch more than other carriers, so you basically just get extra dice to roll. I imagine each available dice represents a squadron or two of fighters/bombers.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 7, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

When do Bombers roll their attacks? I seem to remember them saying something about you only getting your PD once per turn or about close action weapons combining together. Do you know if this is the case? If you send in some close action frigates, shoot some shots, do the Bombers then get in without having to deal with the PD?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

One of my Vampires seems to be missing a foot. I'm going to call him "Stumpy" now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pash posted:

When do Bombers roll their attacks? I seem to remember them saying something about you only getting your PD once per turn or about close action weapons combining together. Do you know if this is the case? If you send in some close action frigates, shoot some shots, do the Bombers then get in without having to deal with the PD?

Yeah, launch assets like fighters, bombers and torpedoes launch after all the ships have moved and fired. Bombers reach their targets right away, do their attacks and then the ships that are attacked by the bombers roll their point defense, with any additional dice from the fighters that were launched the previous turn. So the bombers have to go through the PD of the ships they're attacking. The fighters then return to their ships and I think that's the end of the turn, except for torpedoes. It's quite simplified and speedy so you move on straight to the next turn without faffing about.

We haven't used torpedoes yet so I don't know how they work exactly but I believe they can track and follow their targets and I think they can even be destroyed by shooting at them.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 7, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Huh, so if bombers go out and then back all at the end of the turn, it seems like there's little point in having a model for them at all (other than "looking good" of course).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
No, the launch assets pack is purely to look cool on the table, you could do them with tokens or whatever markers you want.

...but then we did all the games with tokens to mark high, low, atmosphere, dice to mark hull points remaining and you don't even need the ship models because you measure everything to the center point of the base. So I'm going all out to have a cool looking fleet, why not :)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, launch assets like fighters, bombers and torpedoes launch after all the ships have moved and fired. Bombers reach their targets right away, do their attacks and then the ships that are attacked by the bombers roll their point defense, with any additional dice from the fighters that were launched the previous turn. So the bombers have to go through the PD of the ships they're attacking. The fighters then return to their ships and I think that's the end of the turn, except for torpedoes. It's quite simplified and speedy so you move on straight to the next turn without faffing about.

We haven't used torpedoes yet so I don't know how they work exactly but I believe they can track and follow their targets and I think they can even be destroyed by shooting at them.

Wait, so are you saying fighter only add PD vs bombers? Nothing against close action weapons? I would have assumed you launched your fighters and bombers during the carriers activation...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, every faction has a couple of superheavies at this point (which could change) but I haven't seen a mention of dreadnoughts - those could be the KS-exclusive ships or something for a future expansion, I don't know. There's almost no 'fluff' in the beta pack so far, which is understandable, and I don't have the Reconquest book, I should have picked one up while I could! Which reminds me I should read up on the fluff in the main book.

Battleships and Dreadnoughts are confirmed as coming to retail, we know that Battleships are being sculpted as the Berlin model has been shown off already for UCM. They will be ready for launch straight to retail, I imagine Dreadnoughts will follow sometime later. They won't be huge though, Hawk are reluctant to produce ungainly models that will be big enough to hinder play. Dreads will probably 'just' be even chunkier battleships but not much longer. That all said, the Berlin is clearly a good third longer than the Atalantis battlecruiser...

The KS-exclusives are Battlecruisers but again there will be more of these coming to retail at some point.

I think

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah right OK I haven't kept up with the Dreadnought talk. But the Berlin was part of the UCM fleet we used:

We did have a couple issues with the ship placement, probably because of the scenario design forced everyone into a scrum in the middle of the map - normal games will be much more spread out. Because you're measuring from the center peg, you can place ships as close as half an inch or so, you just have to take the ship off the peg until there's space for the model.

Pash posted:

Wait, so are you saying fighter only add PD vs bombers? Nothing against close action weapons? I would have assumed you launched your fighters and bombers during the carriers activation...

Ah, no I had that wrong - they provide PD against close action weapons too.

Re-reading the launch asset rules as they are right now, you can split up the fighters and bombers to respectively protect friendlies or attack enemies, so that's the usefulness of the fighter and bomber models. Plus...they look super cute!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I think he meant Beijing (which is the battleship they have models for because it's the 2-up one) rather than Berlin.

I'm still a little confused by the bomber rules. Is there any circumstance where they could be out on the board at the start of a turn? If not, I'm not sure why they need a token at all.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

wdarkk posted:

I'm still a little confused by the bomber rules. Is there any circumstance where they could be out on the board at the start of a turn? If not, I'm not sure why they need a token at all.
Well if you can launch 6 bombers that each do a couple of attacks, you can send three each to two targets, or two each to three targets, so the tokens/models help visualize what's being attacked and by how many attack wings. I understand what you mean, though - the bomber attacks are resolved right away while fighters provide cover until the end of the next turn.

I'll see if anything Dreadnought-shaped jumps out at me as I read through the rules this week.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

I think he meant Beijing (which is the battleship they have models for because it's the 2-up one) rather than Berlin.

Yeah sorry, I'm getting my capital cities mixed up! They do have the game version of the model prototyped and painted though, it is 4mins into the latest video.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/dropfleet/dropfleet-commander-massive-kickstarter-update/

Fighters/bombers are sounding a bit like Fast Movers in Dropzone, the models are only on the table when you set them down for their attack runs while you work out reaction fire and interceptions. Most of the time they sit off the board entirely, which is a bit of a shame as most of them are very shiny models. At least in Dropfleet you can be setting them down next to ships they are protecting for the turn and will look prettier than card tokens.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The fast mover comparison suddenly makes things make more sense to me.

Do fighters and bombers experience attrition?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
No, the carriers just launch up to their maximum launch rating each turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

krushgroove posted:

No, the carriers just launch up to their maximum launch rating each turn.

Does launching fighters count as using a weapon system? Or can a carrier say, fire its guns and launch fighters without getting a spike?