Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
The first time we met Frank, he threatened Chloe with a knife. Just now he's tried to attack us for spilling his precious beans on the floor.

Chloe talks a lot of poo poo, and acts impulsively, and downright stupidly at times, but she's not been violent at all in the time we've spent with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Just marathoned the LP after completing LiS a few days ago. It's such a great game- charming and sad and as dorkily earnest as its protagonist. Great LP too!

And Chloe failing to come up with a clever time travel plan to get Frank's keys is one of my favourite little character beats. She's trying to be a good sidekick. She's really trying.

Surprise Pizza posted:

Chloe talks a lot of poo poo, and acts impulsively, and downright stupidly at times, but she's not been violent at all in the time we've spent with her.
Yeah, but the last time Chloe had a gun, she did manage to shoot herself in an impressively dumb fashion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Inferior posted:

Yeah, but the last time Chloe had a gun, she did manage to shoot herself in an impressively dumb fashion.

Yeah, because we told her to.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hey, we didn't know that ahead of time

The first time, at least.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Chloe has yet to threaten to murder two teenagers

So you know

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, because we told her to.

If you wait a few seconds and don't choose anything she shoots the bumper herself. Letting Chloe have a gun is a bad idea, unless the only other option is letting the drug dealer with anger issues who is not too happy with Max and Chloe have it.

Captain Swiss
Jul 9, 2008

This thread needs to be about twenty percent cooler.

Surprise Pizza posted:

Just now he's tried to attack us for spilling his precious beans on the floor.

Yeah, but to be fair, he was eating those beans.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Swiss posted:

Yeah, but to be fair, he was eating those beans.

I agree.

#freeFrank

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Dammit, I know I'm 3 updates late...but

My Life is Strange appreciation has been tainted improved by this thread.

EDIT: also don't take the gun, cause somebody is going to get shot in an hilarious gun related incident if Chloe manages to get hold of it again. At least Frank is going to consciously shoot someone.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 2, 2016

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Well the last time Chloe did something dumb with the gun we were able to rewind and fix it, so Chloe having the gun could be neato.

On the other hand, we took the money in the principal's office to pay back Frank, stealing his gun doesn't seem like a great way to get him off our back.

Hmm, tough call. I wonder what kind of situation Chloe having a gun would actually be beneficial. Seems more likely she gets caught having it, or shoots something too hastily. So, I think we should leave the gun where it is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Take the gun, screw paying him back, keep the cash and split town

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Guns aside, now you can dress like your favourite gay ladies

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
It's only right that we steal back the gun that Frank stole from us after we rightfully stole it from stepdouche.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Tell the gun about Handsome Jack.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hi and good morning, I'm very excited to bring you this :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Time to end the episode and learn how to do something entirely new.:siren:

Our closing song for this episode is Mogwai - Kids Will Be Skeletons

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 8, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Panzer Skank posted:

And if it wasn't clear how much Chloe was hosed up from losing William, it should be really clear now.

I dunno, looks to me that Chloe is hosed up either way

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
We, uh... we're not going to find any happy endings to this game, are we.

:smith:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really not feeling this. Pulling the "at least you're not disabled" card? Max's decision was stupid even by teenage drama standards - and here's calling an "reverse everything so nothing happened" ending.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo, what is going on in this game?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

It's been a little bit since I posted the video so I'll slam our final Episode 3 statistics here now

anilEhilated posted:

Pulling the "at least you're not disabled" card?

The game takes a slightly different route than this. I'm not sure if you'll like it any better or not but I kind of want to assure you the game doesn't poo poo on disabled people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's disrespectful to the disabled, I just feel it's really banal - here she's blaming everyone and everything, complaining about how her life sucks and it's perfectly in her character but then the game just hits us with "oh but it could have been so much worse". I don't think it's intentional, just really heavy-handed.

e: I guess it's disrespectful to the player if anyone. We'll see how it goes.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 7, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Panzer Skank posted:

The game takes a slightly different route than this. I'm not sure if you'll like it any better or not but I kind of want to assure you the game doesn't poo poo on disabled people.

I disagree, but will wait until we actually get there to talk about it.

When I got to this part of the game, I knew very clearly that whatever happened next would make or break basically the entire experience,

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I interpreted this less that "well this alternate timeline is worse" and more "neither option has a perfect outcome". Things might seem worse off for Chloe here, but for all we know she's happier in here since she never lost her trust in her dad. At the same time, Max seems more popular at school here, but now she's wrapped up in the Vortex club which could have repercussions.

It's too early to make any kind of call as to which timeline is objectively "better".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
God drat it Max, have you never seen The Butterfly Effect?

e: Wait, did Warren suggest that one?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

It's too early to make any kind of call as to which timeline is objectively "better".

alternate max is friends with alternate victoria, this is obviously the worst possible outcome

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Alternate warren has a girlfriend at least.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Alternate Warren has not been dunked, and that's all we need to know to see that Max has made a terrible mistake.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I am itching to see how "Chloe's father didn't die" turned David into a bus driver, gave Warren a girlfriend and made Max popular.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
The conversation with Chloe in the truck feels like a moment of real character growth for her, in that she can admit to her feelings out loud and recognize them as being irrational and unfair but real, so its frustrating that Max just blew up that timeline.

The alterna timeline is weird in that it feels ominous even though most of the people we see seem to be slightly better off. David seems much calmer as a bus driver, Warren isn't fruitlessly bothering Max (though Brooke is still denied), even Victoria seems nicer (which raises the question is she different, is Max different, or is their conflict in the original timeline some petty misunderstanding that just didn't occur here).

Things don't look good for Chloe but then again her father is still alive (I presume her mother still is as well based on the photo time lapse thing) and this section really drives home how important that is.

The dead whales are a bad sign though.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
This section kinda blew my mind when I played the game.

The music for that ending sequence is "Kids Will Be Skeletons", by Mogwai, btw.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think the game laid it on a bit thick there.
His last words to Chloe literally where "me and Max will never leave you.".

Also: "She's been dying to see you."

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

God drat it Max, have you never seen The Butterfly Effect?

e: Wait, did Warren suggest that one?

The ending is copied almost exactly from a scene in The Butterfly Effect, down to being a rich preppy kid and former best friend is disabled. Maybe Max blows off both her hands next episode.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dimebags Brain posted:

The ending is copied almost exactly from a scene in The Butterfly Effect, down to being a rich preppy kid and former best friend is disabled. Maybe Max blows off both her hands next episode.

The only differences are Ashton Kutcher uses journals and Max hasn't scored.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Yeah, the disabled thing is kind of cliche. I think it would have been a better ending if Chloe was fine but didn't like Max at all and maybe was dickish like Victoria. Although I have no idea what is to come.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Love Max's reaction after history changes: "All the popular kids like me now... WHAT HAVE I DONE?!" Such a hipster, in any timeline.

And Chloe's lost smile at the end broke my heart. LiS really gets to me sometimes, despite all the jankiness.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I think the disabled thing is just a distraction away from the true tragedy of this timeline. Warren remains un-dunk'd on. This reality is a sham.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

I am itching to see how "Chloe's father didn't die" turned David into a bus driver, gave Warren a girlfriend and made Max popular.

I wonder if there is some bleed over from the prior timeline that effects outcomes.

Both Max and the police note that David would be happier in a non-police/security role and his hobby is repairing cars. Warren spends the entire old timeline trying (and failing) to get a girlfriend. Max mostly uses her power to make herself more popular (and emotionally manipulate people) and Chloe drives recklessly, gets her legs caught in a rail road tie (somehow), parks in handicapped spaces and steals from the "handicapped fund"...yeah I'll stop now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Captian Nuke posted:

The alterna timeline is weird in that it feels ominous even though most of the people we see seem to be slightly better off. David seems much calmer as a bus driver, Warren isn't fruitlessly bothering Max (though Brooke is still denied), even Victoria seems nicer (which raises the question is she different, is Max different, or is their conflict in the original timeline some petty misunderstanding that just didn't occur?

Taking a guess but this version of Chloe probably didn't flunk out of Blackwell but wasn't there due to whatever put her in the chair (picture of her getting a set of car keys is a major pointer) so when an old friend of hers shows up then the rest of the class are a bit more welcoming.

So question is where the hell is Rachel (with Frank?) and where the hell is Kate....

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Surprise Pizza posted:

This section kinda blew my mind when I played the game.

The music for that ending sequence is "Kids Will Be Skeletons", by Mogwai, btw.

Thank you! I can't believe I missed it. Adding it to the post and the op now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Inferior posted:

Love Max's reaction after history changes: "All the popular kids like me now... WHAT HAVE I DONE?!" Such a hipster, in any timeline.

And Chloe's lost smile at the end broke my heart. LiS really gets to me sometimes, despite all the jankiness.

"Warren has a girlfriend?! WHAT HAVE I DONE"

• Locked thread