Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm enjoying the hell out of Conclave and the new patch. Really rekindled my interest in the game after I had almost written it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I'm playing as duchess Matilda of Tuscany in the HRE, and I think the game is just intentionally trying to piss me off now...

First, the emperor declares a tribute war on Genoa, who were already paying tribute to me (money that I really needed). Then I finally manage to declare war on Capua, after spending years forging a claim (which cost me both gold and prestige) and quite a bit of wrangling with councillors (had to replace three of them and ask a favour from one) who really didn't want to fight puny Capua.

After I've crushed the Capuan army and gotten settled into the siege, the emperor declares a tribute war on them. Which he wins instantly, somehow. I've never managed to win any sort of war without getting to 100% war score, but apparently the same rules don't apply to the A.I. Then the emperor immediately decides to declare a tribute war on Pisa, who were also my tributaries. In doing this he dragged both me and Capua into the war, and since we're now on the same side in the Pisan war, the game decides my war against Capua has to be cancelled and I'm not allowed to fight them. In a few short months he managed to steal two important tributaries and sabotage a claim war I spent 5 years preparing for. Brilliant move by the emperor, but it's still some loving bullshit that made me rage quit this piece of poo poo game and write an angry rant about how unfair it is that I sometimes don't win.

Speaking of Matilda of Tuscany, is there any way to replicate the stuff she's actually famous for? Historically she fought for the pope against the Kaiser and his attempts to install an anti-pope, but in the game nobody seems to give a poo poo about popes of any sort, anti or otherwise. The pope has very little power to begin with, and the emperor usually sets up an anti-pope right away, at which point the pope ceases to matter entirely for me. Is there any way at all to interact with the pope in a meaningful way when my liege has an anti-pope? I've certainly never seen the A.I. declare war over it, everyone is usually perfectly happy to let the Kaiser have his puppet pope as long as he stays in Germany.

Reading the wiki about her, she was involved in a bunch of interesting stuff, but most of it can't really happen in the game as far as I can tell. The famous castle of Canossa doesn't even exist in-game apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_of_Tuscany

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Apoffys posted:

After I've crushed the Capuan army and gotten settled into the siege, the emperor declares a tribute war on them. Which he wins instantly, somehow. I've never managed to win any sort of war without getting to 100% war score, but apparently the same rules don't apply to the A.I.

There are a couple of ways to get an instant 100% warscore, although they're not common and not usually the kind of thing you can pull off on purpose. The main one I can think of is having the enemy ruler imprisoned somehow (usually by capturing them in battle).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Volkerball posted:

Yeah I hate that bug.

Another old favorite I ran into last night was the one where your custom kingdom name wouldn't stick. No, I don't want to be the Duke of Mumu, goddammit.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Can I join the Weird Crusade club now? And does it come with a T-shirt?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I marched my dudes from the holy land over to the steppes, had my ruler die so I had to join up the crusade again with my new heir, then the independence faction got real big and I have to fight a civil war while trying to finish off the crusade.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Yeah I hate that bug.
I wonder...does this bug happen for some of the custom flag dynasties? Like, if the Karlings started out as Norse, and converted to Catholic, would they get a randomized flag, or would they keep the Karling one? If it's the latter, and if it's possible to mod in some custom flag for your dynasty, that could be a way to get past this thing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
DD is mostly just a team intro, but if you want to hear me being thrown off a balcony you finally can!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-1-the-team.912615/

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Apoffys posted:

I've never managed to win any sort of war without getting to 100% war score, but apparently the same rules don't apply to the A.I.

Tribute wars definitely do not need to get to 100% war score, I have seen the AI surrender immediately if you sufficiently curb stomp their army.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Darkrenown posted:

DD is mostly just a team intro, but if you want to hear me being thrown off a balcony you finally can!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-1-the-team.912615/

Huh, doing another expansion so soon? The last time we had that was after Charlemagne, which definitely could have used some more dedicated clean-up time. Well, I guess you'll tell us what you're up to exactly in the next diary?

One reason for my scepticism is another NASTY aspect of the randomize-on-reload-bug that I just discovered (the hard way): If your realm has elective succession, your successor choice will be likewise randomized after each reload. This is reaaaally lovely and non-trivial - Please, please fix as soon as possible!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why does the Caliphate never suffer liberation revolts? About the only time I ever suffer them is when I'm taking over Ireland, where they're usually a guaranteed loss because it's cavalry heavy and usually well led.

Yet I never see them against muslims. Why doesn't Navarre yearn to be freed from the yoke? Why do the Persians just go 'meh' as they slowly turn muslim while ruled by some dudes from the desert?

I thought it might be if it was wrong religion/culture but that applies to the muslims, too. I thought forming the kingdom might stop it, but they never have to form them, ever. You'd think that the poor Nestorians, too, would like to be free...

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Quantity-wise there's tons of liberations against them. In one of my Charlemagne starts as Abyssinia the Abbasids were having their 28th Miaphysite revolt at around 1000AD. It's just that once the caliphate gets huge enough they're untouchable under normal circumstances.

e: normal circumstances may also include a seljuk invasion, a decadence revolt, and an offensive war against the byzantines all at the same time. :argh:

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 10, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No no, the Miaphysiate stuff is religious revolts, which yea, are swatted easily. Tbh, I think that "revolts break after one battle" thing shouldn't apply to the AI, but ehh. They're only one level above peasant ones; liberation revolts are on a whole other level; they're actually dangerous and usually pretty strong.

That and decadence and the popping Shiite that never, ever wins because they start at decadence 25% and rarely, if ever assign their commanders, don't regen or hire mercs and don't start with enough troops. (What is it, 90% of current levvies instead of full? something anemic like that)

I don't know if they want them like that, so that the shiite Caliph popping randomly be rare or what. The changes to raised levies so that they regen in your lands also means that revolts are even less destabilizing now, though a revolt happening while a faction is out or it triggering something else sometimes works. The Abbs do usually splinter, eventually.

Also the Shiite dudes and zoroastrians should be way less likely to say "oh yea ok cool" to turning sunni.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why does the Caliphate never suffer liberation revolts? About the only time I ever suffer them is when I'm taking over Ireland, where they're usually a guaranteed loss because it's cavalry heavy and usually well led.

Yet I never see them against muslims. Why doesn't Navarre yearn to be freed from the yoke? Why do the Persians just go 'meh' as they slowly turn muslim while ruled by some dudes from the desert?

I thought it might be if it was wrong religion/culture but that applies to the muslims, too. I thought forming the kingdom might stop it, but they never have to form them, ever. You'd think that the poor Nestorians, too, would like to be free...
I believe liberation revolts can only occur if the de-jure kingdom has had at least one previous holder.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Gimmick Account posted:

One reason for my scepticism is another NASTY aspect of the randomize-on-reload-bug that I just discovered (the hard way): If your realm has elective succession, your successor choice will be likewise randomized after each reload. This is reaaaally lovely and non-trivial - Please, please fix as soon as possible!

Can confirm, this happens every time you load a game now and is extremely aggravating.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gimmick Account posted:

Huh, doing another expansion so soon? The last time we had that was after Charlemagne, which definitely could have used some more dedicated clean-up time. Well, I guess you'll tell us what you're up to exactly in the next diary?

We've always had expansion development parallell to patching. We don't take a break after each cycle is done, we start planning for the next expansion immediately. Conclave was started immediately after Horse Lords, just because we are saying we are working on an expansion doesn't mean it is going to be released tomorrow.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What is the point of the construction tech. The bonuses are so anemic that even as a merchant republic, you'd save a pretty insignificant amount of money and it never really reaches very high, because the player will never raise it before they'd raise literally anything else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What is the point of the construction tech. The bonuses are so anemic that even as a merchant republic, you'd save a pretty insignificant amount of money and it never really reaches very high, because the player will never raise it before they'd raise literally anything else.

It knocks a full year off the build time of top end holding upgrades.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

It knocks a full year off the build time of top end holding upgrades.

Yeah, I'll typically bump it up a notch when I plan on building a heap of upgrades in my capital, and/or building a new holding(+some upgrades) in there. It might not look like much initially, but that discount and shortened build-time does help - especially with getting castle towns up and running ASAP, to have the upgrades pay themselves off.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I don't recall - do those stack additively with the steward construction action? I know the steward stacks additively with any province construction modifiers - if you get the rulership quarry construction bonus (-20%) and a high steward (-2.5% per point), you get absolutely ridiculous build times.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Having just gotten a female ruler for the first time since the new patch, the ability to shut down all seducers is really welcome. Now if only my vassals would just stop launching revolts to increase council power...

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chakan posted:

Something like 10% of players have "get married." So I'm guessing it's because most people either boot up CKII and close it halfway through the tutorial or never play ironman.

ruler designer disables achievements

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Ruler designer only disable Achievements if you actively use it before a game. The explanation is that people simply don't click that button. If I remember correctly when EU4 made ironman selection into a prompt before they start the gsme they saw a significant increase in amount of players that started games with ironman on.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So I'm working on some religion modding for Judaism to, among other things, permit holding temples and allowing priests to inherit.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get either of these things to work despite following the format for the other religions in 00_religions.txt. Curiously, I was able to implement defensive pagan bonuses for Jewish rulers.

Below is the modded info for the Jewish religion. Can anyone tell me why priest stuff isn't working?

pre:
	jewish = {
		graphical_culture = jewishgfx

icon = 38
		heresy_icon = 39

color = { 0.1 0.7 1.0 }
		crusade_name = GREAT_HOLY_WAR
		scripture_name = THE_TORAH
		priest_title = RABBI

high_god_name = GOD_GOD

god_names = {
			GOD_GOD GOD_THE_LORD ADONAI HASHEM
		}
		evil_god_names = {
			THE SHEDIM
		}

unit_modifier = {		
			garrison_size = 0.2
			levy_size = 0.2

key = "DEF_RELIGION"
		}
		unit_home_modifier = {
			land_morale = 0.8
			light_infantry_defensive = 0.8
			heavy_infantry_defensive = 0.8
			pikemen_defensive = 0.8
			light_cavalry_defensive = 0.8
			knights_defensive = 0.8
			archers_defensive = 0.8
			horse_archers_defensive = 0.8
			camel_cavalry_defensive = 0.8
			war_elephants_defensive = 0.8

garrison_size = 0.4

key = "DEF_RELIGION_HOME_TERRITORY"
		}

can_grant_divorce = yes
		can_call_crusade = yes
		can_grant_invasion_cb = invasion
		priests_can_marry = yes
		priests_can_inherit = yes
		can_hold_temples  = yes

}

religious_clothing_head = 7
		religious_clothing_priest = 7

expel_modifier = expelled_jewish
	}
Then heresies, etc.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
After the End is updated to work with Conclave and features some new stuff like South America and Newfoundland.

Puella
Oct 31, 2013

The meaning of life is The Sims.

beer_war posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm enjoying the hell out of Conclave and the new patch. Really rekindled my interest in the game after I had almost written it off.

Where was the point you almost wrote it off? For me, it was with Rajas. I felt the game was getting absolutely stale. I'm inclined to agree with you about Conclave. It's an excellent DLC.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
does the new education system prevent you from running a eugenics program, or at least diminish your ability to do so? I can't help but make Aryans every time I play this game and it gets old and I need an intervention

edit: i don't mean that in the literal sense, as in breeding for genius and strong; that's fine and good. i just have this stupid habit of creating demigod hunchback drunks in the ruler designer and then carefully managing their childrens' schooling so that they get all their stats ridiculously high. i need a steady but firm hand to keep me from doing that to myself

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 11, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

does the new education system prevent you from running a eugenics program, or at least diminish your ability to do so? I can't help but make Aryans every time I play this game and it gets old and I need an intervention

edit: i don't mean that in the literal sense, as in breeding for genius and strong; that's fine and good. i just have this stupid habit of creating demigod hunchback drunks in the ruler designer and then carefully managing their childrens' schooling so that they get all their stats ridiculously high. i need a steady but firm hand to keep me from doing that to myself

Yeah, it does seem to be more difficult to get superior Aryan super-human rulers post-Conclave - the amount of traits kids get during their education also seems to be reduced*. Overall I think it does improve the game in that regard, since I'm much like you, and this change has made things more interesting for me. Seems to be quite hard to get congenital traits to be passed down overall, although that's made up for by their non-congenital variants (brawny, dull, etc.) which I feel is a good idea, so that there are significantly fewer strong, attractive geniuses around (who naturally die far too young)

* Perhaps the amount of traits they pick up had been reduced slightly too much, (at the DLC's release, at least) since I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of 16-20 yr olds with zero personality traits whatsoever....although now that I think about it, that kinda does seem to align with some 16-20yr olds I've spoken to IRL recently, too! :v:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Skellybones posted:

After the End is updated to work with Conclave and features some new stuff like South America and Newfoundland.

:getin:

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Skellybones posted:

Best mod just keeps getting better. Shame about the pdox thread being filled with people's lovely suggestions.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I tried it and hovering my mouse over anything brings up code strings.

e: But turning Sunset Invasion on helped?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 11, 2016

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any religions in After The End that use the decadence mechanics yet?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Nope. Doubt they're planning on using them either.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LaSalsaVerde posted:

Best mod just keeps getting better. Shame about the pdox thread being filled with people's lovely suggestions.

It's ok, we ignore them all.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

No, but there's some thought on if it could be turned into a reverse system for Consumerists, so through conspicuous consumption you improve your standing.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Puella posted:

Where was the point you almost wrote it off? For me, it was with Rajas. I felt the game was getting absolutely stale. I'm inclined to agree with you about Conclave. It's an excellent DLC.

Playing Genghis Khan in the Mongols start date after Horse Lords came out since Horse Lords made the Mongols feel stupidly overpowered even in comparison to the historical Mongols. I had gradually lost interest in CK2 before that, but that campaign specifically was the first one I remember not enjoying at all.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I want to fabricate a claim on a dutchy. The title holder doesn't reside in the dutchy. Do I send my chancellor to the county where the title holder currently is or to a county in the dutchy?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I want to fabricate a claim on a dutchy. The title holder doesn't reside in the dutchy. Do I send my chancellor to the county where the title holder currently is or to a county in the dutchy?

IIRC you can only fabricate a duchy claim by sending your chancellor to the duchy capital.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

IIRC you can only fabricate a duchy claim by sending your chancellor to the duchy capital.

It doesn't have to be the duchy capital, it just has to be a province within the duchy and your chancellor needs to have at least Diplomacy 15.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Ive been playing a while and just got into the Kingdom level of things starting with the Shattered World mod. What is the consensus on the vassal meta, is it better to put 2nd sons and bastards as your Dukes, or do regular schmo's do the job as they will never have a claim to your titles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Does After the End disable troop reinforcement in home territory?

• Locked thread