Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Soul Reaver posted:

If they give literally no advantage over other players and only prevent actual cheaters from griefing my game? Yeah, I'd say that's ok by any reasonable standards. I would, in fact, gladly play any and all multiplayer games where literally every person was using a third party mod of this nature without any complaint.

It was called Punkbuster, and it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Is it even an issue? I played the hell out of Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Scholar without any DSFix or whatever and never had anyone corrupt my save or crash it with a hacked name. Maybe installing third party mods out of sheer paranoid is slightly crazy, especially when backing up your save is as easy as copy and paste.

I will because I think it's hilarious. I'm pretty sure I managed to get one of my characters softbanned, I don't know. Though the way I heard it explained was that softbanning was on a per-character basis not a per-account.
you were lucky, it’s pretty common :shrug: It was bad at release so I can only imagine what it’s like now. Personally I still can’t be arsed doing anything about it and just play the game as it is, but I’m perfectly aware that in doing so I’m risking some rear end in a top hat ruining my character/account just by existing, and that I can’t protect myself without getting banned. It’s a stupid situation that’s 100% From’s fault.

And nope, it's per-account.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I watched my friend play dark souls 2 for a few hours today and he didn't get his save broken either. I mean maybe we're both just lucky or something but it doesn't really seem like it's that common a problem that you should be sitting there terrified someone's going to leap out of your closet and ruin your dark souls save.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ah, so because the problem didn't show up for you, personally, then that means it's not a problem at all and everyone else are witty bitty babies. Is that what you are saying, Nuebot?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ryoshi posted:

Some of the "do not open" chests are randomly selected in rooms with nearly a dozen chests, so you miss out on more than just four chests worth of stuff.

That's two of them, but most treasure isn't worth poo poo.

The real problem with it is that one is across a hall from Vaan's mentor figure guy that you have to visit a few times, and upon leaving it is directly in view of the camera.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DSFix also existed for DS1 and there was also a PVP Watchdog mod that can auto-detect people with hacked weapons that insta-curse/steal souls/etc. and deny that connection, neither mod being supported but neither mod were condemned.

The entire softban process was a silent way they tried to handle the need for PVP Watchdog in the first place, but their system is a lot like if Norton AV was quietly installed on every computer and blocked access to the internet if you had harmful malware you were trying to share, but then Norton hardly did poo poo to catch the worst viruses as malware while flagging other AV software as trojans. All without telling you it was even installed.

FROM tried to solve a problem, hosed it up, then made the game actively worse, and then just sorta walked away instead of addressing it constructively. It's pretty indefensible, outside of waving a EULA in your hand as if we are all the idiots for breaking it to prevent being being negatively impacted by people breaking it, when FROM never mentioned any safety protections and then can't even consistently apply them to the people it was made for.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I'm kind of unclear what DSfix is even supposed to do. I tried googling it and all I could see is it raises the FPS to 60? Does someone have a link to the actual things it fixes? I've never used it.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Nuebot posted:

Is it even an issue? I played the hell out of Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Scholar without any DSFix or whatever and never had anyone corrupt my save or crash it with a hacked name. Maybe installing third party mods out of sheer paranoid is slightly crazy, especially when backing up your save is as easy as copy and paste.

I will because I think it's hilarious. I'm pretty sure I managed to get one of my characters softbanned, I don't know. Though the way I heard it explained was that softbanning was on a per-character basis not a per-account.

Steam says I have 110 hours in Dark Souls 2. I've never used any third party stuff; I've run into one hacked player (he didn't take any damage from anything), but nothing that corrupted anything or did any damage on my end. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but saying it's some giant plague that renders the game unplayable seems unlikely.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ah, so because the problem didn't show up for you, personally, then that means it's not a problem at all and everyone else are witty bitty babies. Is that what you are saying, Nuebot?

Well, you're cranky enough, aren't you?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

im pooping! posted:

I'm kind of unclear what DSfix is even supposed to do. I tried googling it and all I could see is it raises the FPS to 60? Does someone have a link to the actual things it fixes? I've never used it.

DSfix made it possible to play at more than 720p30 and used textures at higher resolutions. It also improved antialiasing in later versions.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

im pooping! posted:

So Dark Souls PC by default is locked at like a 720p rendering resolution capped at 30 FPS and is extremely buggy and choppy to actually play, even if you're on a really high-end machine. DSFix removes those limits and even offers a smoother framerate so it's not an awful experience and allows you to tweak the graphical settings even more if you want to add texture mods or whatever.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i guess i never noticed the game performing poorly so never used it but im probably either a moron or in a very tiny minority of players, probably the former

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

im pooping! posted:

i guess i never noticed the game performing poorly so never used it but im probably either a moron or in a very tiny minority of players, probably the former

Did you ever get to blight town or the hydra with crystalmen fight? Those were the signature "game slows to a crawl and whoops if you looked at stuff at the wrong angle you're in single digit FPS" for the console versions at least.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Should new PC players skip to DS 2?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

No. Just use DSFix it fixes literally every problem with the port and 1 is generally considered to be the better game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

i have both and theyre both pretty good, theres no real reason to skip dark souls but then again i went into both expecting a frustrating mess and wasnt disappointed

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Coolness Averted posted:

Did you ever get to blight town or the hydra with crystalmen fight? Those were the signature "game slows to a crawl and whoops if you looked at stuff at the wrong angle you're in single digit FPS" for the console versions at least.

I didn't really have a problem with this on the console version.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Blight Town wasn't as bad as the swamp area from Demon's Souls where there were a few unavoidable fps drops, but there were quite a few trouble spots along the upper areas where you could see the way down that you had to be careful about angle.

The hydra was only an issue if you left the crystalmen up and the game rendered their attacks at the same time as the Hydra's. Usually if you hung back the hydra would just murder them as they all trundled towards you through its attack- but I've seen folks rush the hydra and get nailed by lovely frame rates.

On the topic of actual From trolling, I did like the Demon's Soul's monk boss-fight gimmick.

So in the Souls series you would use different items to do PvP or help players co-op. Well on one of the maps setting down the helpful beacon to try and co-op had a chance of summoning you to be the level boss and help defeat other players.
The summoning message is the same and it seems just like you're popping up to help the other player until it spawns the different animation and you're now red and black instead of a white friendly ghost waiting for the player to enter the boss room.
The other cool part is the gimmick behind that boss is it's a dead monk in an elaborate orange robe that wraps around the summoned guy's head and mind-controls them, shooting out fireballs at the player who you inadvertently invaded. If you help the boss I believe 3 times (it might've just been once and win) you get to keep the dorky hat as an equipable item, but it doesn't shoot fireballs anymore.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes. :colbert: Perhaps I'm suggesting they get good.

Coolness Averted posted:

On the topic of actual From trolling, I did like the Demon's Soul's monk boss-fight gimmick.
I wouldn't mind if Dark Souls 3 had bosses like this again, it was interesting, and just being an annoying add for the boss in Dark Souls 2 wasn't as fun. It was also the highlight of "This Is How You Don't Play Demon's Souls" because DSP rage quit when he couldn't beat another player in PVP.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Well gosh that's sure relevant in a discussion about the lovely PC port, thanks for sharing!

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Ryoshi posted:

Well gosh that's sure relevant in a discussion about the lovely PC port, thanks for sharing!

Why are PYF posters so eager to just poo poo all over each other?

Coolness Averted posted:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A Classy Ghost posted:

Why are goons so eager to just poo poo all over each other?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

im pooping! posted:

When Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition initially came out, it had other ridiculous problems, like:
Fullscreen would still have Window borders
Windows mouse cursor couldn't be hidden

DSFix addressed the above, allowing proper fullscreen and auto-hiding the mouse cursor (plus all the other mentioned fixes too, like allowing higher than 720p resoulution and higher framerates).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

My video games are skinny, goodbye!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Speaking of all this Dark Souls business, came across two actual trolls from Scholar of the First Sin on the weekend.

Firstly, there's Black Gulch - an already horrible area that starts with a narrow pathway with a sheer wall on one side and a sheer drop on the other, except both sides are lined with poison spitting statues. There's also these black oil pits that contain giant murder hands that come out to grab you. This was all in DS2 base. The change in SotFS is that at the end of the area it opens up into a larger cave with lots more statues and lots more oil pits. And now you get invaded! Don't worry though, there's NPCs to help co-op with but guess what, if you do that you get invaded by multiple enemies!

Starting off at the Iron Keep you cross a bridge that's still PvP central for those who take PvP far too seriously and need a "fair battle field". Anyway, SotFS adds a NPC invader at the end of the bridge. But don't hang around after killing them, because after you kill one surprise motherfucker another one spawns in!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

A Classy Ghost posted:

I'd just like to say I was entertained by the fact that user A Classy Ghost wrote a message from user Giant Ouija Board.

It'd be even better the other way around.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A Classy Ghost posted:

I don't have much in my life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of all this Dark Souls business, came across two actual trolls from Scholar of the First Sin on the weekend...

Scholar of the First Sin has a lot of changes to the game, all of which make it less pleasant to play and a huge chunk of which are basically "I'm going to chuck surprise invaders at you, add more path blocking statues in the world so you can't branch off or get cool loot early like you used to, and throw like 3 dozen bonus enemies in everywhere." I honestly can't think of a change between vanilla and SotFS that I actually liked, and there are several changes that were very clearly aimed at hitting players who were comfortable with vanilla by adding an extra surprise enemy in a previously safe path or changing what chests are trapped and where keys are.

The one that sticks out the most with me is during Castle Drangelic their used to be a room with a statue that is powered on by killing enemies near it. When you enter the room, the statues in the room come to life and gang-rush you and its a, rather unfun, fight in a small confined space while you try to rapidly kill six enemies with long-reaching weapons. In SotFS it drops you in that room but the statues never turn into enemies. Instead what you're supposed to do is go into the next area and lure two enemies, who hide in the ceiling in such a way you can't see or target them until they make a leaping attack at your head, and haul rear end with them chasing you back to the previous room and then kill them near the statue. These enemies have ranged poison attacks but more pressingly are extremely mobile and prone to just backjumping away from you making the fight also require you to corale the dumb things close enough to the statue so that you kill them ontop of it and it activates. Did you accidentally kill them both too far away? Go back to the bonfire and try again.

Edit: Also I don't think anybody was clamoring for the Shrine of Amana, a notoriously difficult section that was heavily patched in vanilla to make it easier as it is extremely tedious even when beating it, to be made more difficult again.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Mar 8, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked scholar of the first sin for the most part, but it definitely felt like a ROMhack a lot of the time. Enemies placed in areas where they make no sense, statues you have to unpetrify everywhere, a whole bunch of NPC invaders, etc.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
SotFS is objectively superior and is what DS2 should have been to begin with.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like most of the changes in Scholar of the First Sin, they made a lot of stuff easier/less tedious and made more sense by putting enemies where they fit better with the lore v:shobon:v Certain areas definitely feel a bit "kaizo", especially the new Iron Keep. If I had some map-making skills I'd draw up a diagram to show just how dumb the new Iron Keep is, because there are an enormous amount of enemies and they aggro when you step through certain trigger zones rather than by sight (like every other enemy in the game). There's even a dude who will aggro you from two rooms over, meaning he'll probably come up from behind as you're crossing a bridge while fighting 2-3 other guys when he finally catches up with you.

Barudak posted:

...Castle Drangelic...

Edit: Also I don't think anybody was clamoring for the Shrine of Amana, a notoriously difficult section that was heavily patched in vanilla to make it easier as it is extremely tedious even when beating it, to be made more difficult again.

You're overselling the Castle Drangleic change; it's seconds away from the bonfire so if you die you can just go back there at no loss (no enemies on the way), and the enemies you have to fight are very easy enemies that you fought probably hours earlier in the game. Shrine of Amana had some bizarre changes in the last room though, and is best handled (as it always was) with a bow :v:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

SotFS is objectively superior and is what DS2 should have been to begin with.

While I'm far from finished so I won't agree or disagree, the fact that darkness now works as it should is a big point in it's favour. I try and run around and light torches at every opportunity now.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Shrine of Amana is my favourite area and has my favourite boss. Also I'm pretty sure you can circumvent or remove the DS2 softban using family sharing and some save file trickery.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Digirat posted:

I liked scholar of the first sin for the most part, but it definitely felt like a ROMhack a lot of the time. Enemies placed in areas where they make no sense, statues you have to unpetrify everywhere, a whole bunch of NPC invaders, etc.
I think SotFS improves on the game a lot but sometimes the enemy layout and gank squads made me burst out laughing because it’s just so very… not Souls-like. I’ve heard the enemy placement described as “doomwadian” and I think that’s a good description

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Scholar is mainly for people who both played the gently caress out of DS2 to the point of knowing where everything is and are very good at the game and want some added artificial challenge. I'd never suggest people play it before the regular game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The alternative is you suggest people play a technically inferior version of the game or buy it twice. Or don't play it at all, that's what I go with.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

flatluigi posted:

Scholar is mainly for people who both played the gently caress out of DS2 to the point of knowing where everything is and are very good at the game and want some added artificial challenge. I'd never suggest people play it before the regular game.

Did the original still do the thing where every encounter just had to be a group of melee enemies backed by a group of ranged enemies?

To be fair sometimes they mixed it up and it was a really big group of melee enemies, or just one melee enemy but they did a lot of damage.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The biggest troll From Software ever pulled was getting a marketing budget for the first Dark Souls because it exposed the series to mainstream idiots instead of just being a game for hardcore RPG fans, and now you get eternal arguing over PvP, hitboxes, builds, hackers, and mods where everyone is pissed off all the time instead of polite discussion and tips.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nanomashoes posted:

hardcore RPG fans

Nanomashoes posted:

polite discussion

Er, I sense a flaw in your theory. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Er, I sense a flaw in your theory. :v:

The Demon's Souls community was the best game community I've ever seen, and consisted entirely of people who just wanted to play the game and talk about it instead of having endless arguments about balance and difficulty. It was like the King's Field community in that regard.

• Locked thread