Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
You can already build fences "indoors" by bulldozing 1 tile wide lines. You just need something to give vision on the other side, but armed guards will happily shoot through it. They tend to prefer to run into the melee, though, which is annoying.

Haven't tested with snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I recently bought prison architect and while it's super fun, there are quite a few frustrating bugs. The one vexing me right now is that my workmen have all decided to completely ignore certain tasks. Is there a trick to get them to do their jobs? All they do is hang out in the supply room.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Post a screenshot, it's probably the easiest way for us to figure out what's wrong.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Off the top of my head, that's what workmen do if they can't get to an area. If they're refusing to install poo poo, make sure they can path to those tiles.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

Post a screenshot, it's probably the easiest way for us to figure out what's wrong.

The doors in question:

As you can see, there is a clear path to each door. I know this because the workmen will do jobs around the doors, but will not remove the doors themselves.

While we're at it, here's the grand tour:

The canteen:

This was the first cell block I built. Originally, both sides were dormitories, but the prisoners kept rioting and murdering each other, so I'm phasing out the dorms and replacing them with individual cells.

Cleaning up after the latest riot. I had to build a temporary morgue:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Welp I just got fired. I wish it were because my prison were so easy to escape but actually it's because over forty people died including three squads of riot police. I guess they were really mad about those doors.

Gonna sell this prison and try building a new one without so many door problems.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I notice the doors have busted servos - I can't tell from the image, but are those remote doors? That's probably why - workers have to be able to open a door to remove it, and with busted servos remote doors can't be opened at all (I tend not to use them because of that - I've had too many instances of people getting stuck somewhere when the guard wandered away from the door control desk). I think if you set the doors to be always open they should have been able to remove them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I notice the doors have busted servos - I can't tell from the image, but are those remote doors? That's probably why - workers have to be able to open a door to remove it, and with busted servos remote doors can't be opened at all (I tend not to use them because of that - I've had too many instances of people getting stuck somewhere when the guard wandered away from the door control desk). I think if you set the doors to be always open they should have been able to remove them.

That explains why the doors can't be removed, but why can't the workmen repair the servos?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Applewhite posted:

That explains why the doors can't be removed, but why can't the workmen repair the servos?

Do you have readily available workmen, first off? If so, send them to the servos. They should automatically fix 'em. Failing that, I think there's a Repair option you can click in the Servo's menu?

And by send, I mean select your workmen, then right-click or left-click an area to tell them to go there. Same as the emergency peoples.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
In case anybody didn't notice, there's a new update video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQwBZ0f7xFo

Haven't watched all of it but it seems to be all about the console edition.

Anyone know if the interface improvements are finding their way back into the PC edition as well? Not everything will make sense but some of it seems very useful.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

widespread posted:

Do you have readily available workmen, first off? If so, send them to the servos. They should automatically fix 'em. Failing that, I think there's a Repair option you can click in the Servo's menu?

And by send, I mean select your workmen, then right-click or left-click an area to tell them to go there. Same as the emergency peoples.

Yeah I tried that. They run over and run right back.
It might have been while the "dump" job was selected for the servos rather than "repair" so I'll try again with repair selected.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Applewhite posted:

The doors in question:

As you can see, there is a clear path to each door. I know this because the workmen will do jobs around the doors, but will not remove the doors themselves.

Those servos need to be on the side of the door that it opens (it's usually left - then top after rotate - right - down on last rotate) with the gear portion over the door tile and the box controller/receiver thingy on a wall/fence.

Also yeah don't use remote doors unless you want to make some sort of super high security stuff but you can count on your system breaking down at the worst possible moments because of the job swapping mechanics which are bound to leave a door control system without an operator for a short moment every once in a while. You can have redundancy which is what I usually do, but even then chances are at some point your whole system will be without a single controller.

Added picture.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Violence will also cause some areas and jobs to be too dangerous for workmen.

Sometimes the danger flags will linger indefinitely even after the incident. If that happens, save and load should fix it.

If the workmen are blocked by the very door they're trying to dismantle you can always right-click to open it manually, or set the door to always open. Or designate the whole area as Unlocked if you've researched Deployment (good for new cell blocks).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Those servos need to be on the side of the door that it opens (it's usually left - then top after rotate - right - down on last rotate) with the gear portion over the door tile and the box controller/receiver thingy on a wall/fence.

Also yeah don't use remote doors unless you want to make some sort of super high security stuff but you can count on your system breaking down at the worst possible moments because of the job swapping mechanics which are bound to leave a door control system without an operator for a short moment every once in a while. You can have redundancy which is what I usually do, but even then chances are at some point your whole system will be without a single controller.

Added picture.

They don't actually need to be on the side the door opens, they can be on the 'pocket' side too, but yes, the gear part needs to be on the door and the box part needs to be on a wall/fence.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hailthefish posted:

They don't actually need to be on the side the door opens, they can be on the 'pocket' side too, but yes, the gear part needs to be on the door and the box part needs to be on a wall/fence.

Yeah otherwise the inmates tamper with them, apparently.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They also just plain don't work if the gear part isn't overlapped with the door.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Applewhite posted:

Welp I just got fired. I wish it were because my prison were so easy to escape but actually it's because over forty people died including three squads of riot police. I guess they were really mad about those doors.

The temperature of your prison is like 8-10 in all your screenshots - looking at your rooms it's probably because the prisoners' needs are off the charts all the time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The temperature of your prison is like 8-10 in all your screenshots - looking at your rooms it's probably because the prisoners' needs are off the charts all the time.

Good. Serves them right. I'm not running a day camp here.

Also the secret to getting the doors fixed was to open them so thanks for the tip!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Update time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOqQv4_piL0

Long story short: You must now keep your prisoners warm, and the Quick Builds menu comes to PC.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't get this update. It seems like needless complexity that isn't even that complex. What's the point?

Don't they have better things to do? Like making more types of flooring, I want to pimp my prisons.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rimworld is getting better prison mechanics so obviously Prison Architect has to get better temperature mechanics. :v:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So there's a hidden button in the Extras menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDsL-D344BU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That's insane. It's great that being a full release hasn't stopped them from updating the game with pretty much the same frequency.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

McGlockenshire posted:

:vince:

That's nuts, but the fact that they just slipped it in there without saying anything makes it 100x better. They're the best game devs

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I loaded up a prison today, after a few days remembered that heat is a thing now, placed some radiators in the cell blocks, and I guess that's it? Is there anything else to this? It feels a little pointless

Do the radiators even eat up energy?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ninjewtsu posted:

So I loaded up a prison today, after a few days remembered that heat is a thing now, placed some radiators in the cell blocks, and I guess that's it? Is there anything else to this? It feels a little pointless

Do the radiators even eat up energy?

Not yet, but they hint at a lot of complexity to come in the update video.

It seems that before long you'll need to pipe cold water to a boiler, and then pipe that hot water to your showers, radiators and sinks. And they're gonna make hypothermia a thing. So it adds another layer with more points of failure, testing your resilience design and disaster management. I don't think it adds much in the way of interesting choices for the player though... it seems more like "here's a thing you gotta do, you can't really get away with not doing it".

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

McGlockenshire posted:

Oh god, please let the extra complexity include multi-tiered floors. It has to at this point.

And then we can make that one kinda prison where the guard station is in the center of a circular room and the cells are all along the wall of said room.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not yet, but they hint at a lot of complexity to come in the update video.

It seems that before long you'll need to pipe cold water to a boiler, and then pipe that hot water to your showers, radiators and sinks. And they're gonna make hypothermia a thing. So it adds another layer with more points of failure, testing your resilience design and disaster management. I don't think it adds much in the way of interesting choices for the player though... it seems more like "here's a thing you gotta do, you can't really get away with not doing it".

I think the interesting choices would come if they added biomes, and you pick whether your prison is in the baking hot desert or the freezing tundra or somewhere inbetween.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

widespread posted:

Oh god, please let the extra complexity include multi-tiered floors. It has to at this point.

And then we can make that one kinda prison where the guard station is in the center of a circular room and the cells are all along the wall of said room.
I doubt it'll happen because pathfinding and making an elegant UI to deal with it would be a bitch.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

Metrication posted:

I think the interesting choices would come if they added biomes, and you pick whether your prison is in the baking hot desert or the freezing tundra or somewhere inbetween.

Would love to see it affect all sprites in a similar manner to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Tundra biome means snow on the ground, guards and prisoners in thick coats, gulag esque features.

Also opens up the means to set up a tent-city style prison in the desert as a more punitive atmosphere

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Update 5 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jNtSckFvk
Changelog

To cut a long story short, the game runs better, there's now a concept of hot water and cold showers as part of the thermodynamics stuff, and 3D Mode is still super-experimental but it has some more assets and shaders which is nice.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I like that the heat bleeds so you can't just pump hot water all over the prison from a single pump. I didn't expect that and I think it really adds something to the design stage.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
And a new IP is being announced in a few weeks.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Chris turning 37 makes me feel a little depressed about my life accomplishments.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm getting back into the game after a long time and I just had my first ever power station fire. Fortunately it was at night, but it was still a huge mess, and I've now installed sprinklers in the power room. But I'm realizing, if the sprinklers get water from a pump that is powered by the same power station they're sprinkling, doesn't that mean they'll just shut down the moment they're actually needed? If so, I guess I finally found a reason to build more than one water pump...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

super fart shooter posted:

I'm getting back into the game after a long time and I just had my first ever power station fire. Fortunately it was at night, but it was still a huge mess, and I've now installed sprinklers in the power room. But I'm realizing, if the sprinklers get water from a pump that is powered by the same power station they're sprinkling, doesn't that mean they'll just shut down the moment they're actually needed? If so, I guess I finally found a reason to build more than one water pump...

Yeah I had that issue as well. But I had two power stations so I hooked both up to the water pump with power switches to flick between the supplies... if one supply goes up in flames, I flick a switch to keep the pump running on the other circuit

I seem to recall there's another problem with installing sprinklers in power station rooms but I can't remember what it is

e: Speaking of switches and valves, does it bother anyone else that they're operated by you and not a staffmember? Too easy, take it back :colbert:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does water still cause electrocution when mixed with heavy electrical devices? Now I had a kitchen fire, and I'm not sure if putting sprinklers in there risks killing everyone in the room the next time it happens.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

super fart shooter posted:

Does water still cause electrocution when mixed with heavy electrical devices? Now I had a kitchen fire, and I'm not sure if putting sprinklers in there risks killing everyone in the room the next time it happens.

I think it does, but there might be a certain threshold of damage the devices have to have taken before they become dangerous. You could also have your electrical connection to the kitchen route through a switch, and if there's a fire you manually cut the power.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is there a practical use for pressure pads? I've seen gimmick uses for them (escape labyrinths) but I've struggled to think of a good reason to use them in a normal prison.

Also, what's the difference between a remote door and a normal door with a servo attached?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Unless they update the ai to actually realize that anything other than walls exist, pressure pads will be useless.

• Locked thread