Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Antor Delassio brought the wrong weapons. The cultists all have armor of 5+ or better but he's the only Deathwatch member without access to AP 5 or better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

I am starting to feel like Chaos Cultists are the 40k equivalent of a tourist trap. I mean, I am sure that they will do something on the table top, but probably not equivalent to the amount of money I have dropped on this squad.

I mean, it is worth it to me, just to get them to look awesome and unique, but that is probably because the modeling aspect is where I get most of my enjoyment of the hobby. Still, I feel odd when the most expensive unit that I will be fielding will essentially be cannon fodder.

They were kind of always intended to be cannon fodder or dirt-cheap troop choices. Hell, their biggest asset in the Khorne Daemonkin army is that you can put them in a formation where the first time they fail a morale check you can just straight sacrifice them to the Blood God for an extra Blood Tithe point.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I know. I am just going kind of stupid crazy on customizing my models for them. I figure that if I really want them to survive, I will throw them into the IA13 rules, but for now, they are just a cheap objective blob that will look really awesome.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Antor Delassio brought the wrong weapons. The cultists all have armor of 5+ or better but he's the only Deathwatch member without access to AP 5 or better.

He's using a jump pack in a tight, cramped mine shaft. The dude obviously doesn't care much for efficiency.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

jadebullet posted:

I am starting to feel like Chaos Cultists are the 40k equivalent of a tourist trap. I mean, I am sure that they will do something on the table top, but probably not equivalent to the amount of money I have dropped on this squad.

I mean, it is worth it to me, just to get them to look awesome and unique, but that is probably because the modeling aspect is where I get most of my enjoyment of the hobby. Still, I feel odd when the most expensive unit that I will be fielding will essentially be cannon fodder.

I feel this way about painting Grots. Last edition, I would hardly ever bother taking them. Speaking strictly in terms of dollars/effort for points, I kitbashed 4 Mek Gunz out of 1 package and a Trukk kit, and poo poo's still pretty crazy--probably the worst.

$37.50 for 30 points on the table, before kitbashing. :shepspends:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, I know. I am just going kind of stupid crazy on customizing my models for them. I figure that if I really want them to survive, I will throw them into the IA13 rules, but for now, they are just a cheap objective blob that will look really awesome.

Yeah I really didn't spend any time on mine beyond doing different colors. I may do a few more conversions as I do some Alpha Legion-specific ones in the future, but it just doesn't seem like it's worth it to do a ton of conversion/customization work on them

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just wish that bits suppliers besides ebay were still a thing. I am still pretty bitter about GW putting a stop to that because I love to kitbash, and now that I have started doing chaos stuff, I am going a bit more insane with it.

I still dread when I eventually start the Ork army that my fiancee wants me to build for her, because she has embraced the Ork aesthetic completely, so there will be a lot of conversion work.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Something a bit different to my Ultras today, painting up some jungle-themed Tau. Here's the first Pathfinder, a test model of sorts for the colour scheme and basing and all that.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hi Thread,

I painted up a non-trivial part of a Knight over the weekend.

The carapace needs work (it's mostly base-coated right now), and I haven't done the arms or attached the head yet, but the legs and the metal part of the torso are finished. Hoping to have this sumbitch ready to rumble for next weekend, but I'm glad to have put paint on him finally. I actually really like this kit a lot - the legs are extremely static, but the way the arms and stuff wiggle around is pretty slick, and there's a lot of detail to the parts. Still, probably not doing another one any time soon, because I could see this poo poo getting boring really fast.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Maybe I am late to the game - but Warseer is back up.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Hand posted:

Maybe I am late to the game - but Warseer is back up.

That's a shame.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Hello good sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, the Four-Armed Emperor?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Hello good sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, the Four-Armed Emperor?

*locks door and turns on sprinklers*

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

I just wish that bits suppliers besides ebay were still a thing. I am still pretty bitter about GW putting a stop to that because I love to kitbash, and now that I have started doing chaos stuff, I am going a bit more insane with it.

I still dread when I eventually start the Ork army that my fiancee wants me to build for her, because she has embraced the Ork aesthetic completely, so there will be a lot of conversion work.

I don't know how you do it--the existing cultist models don't lend themselves super-well to simple kitbashing without a lot of cutting (though cadian guardsmen do just fine, I think--especially for Alpha Legion cultists). Although I do think it might be cool to pepper in some of the old metal chaos cultists.

ANAmal.net posted:

Hi Thread,

I painted up a non-trivial part of a Knight over the weekend.

The carapace needs work (it's mostly base-coated right now), and I haven't done the arms or attached the head yet, but the legs and the metal part of the torso are finished. Hoping to have this sumbitch ready to rumble for next weekend, but I'm glad to have put paint on him finally. I actually really like this kit a lot - the legs are extremely static, but the way the arms and stuff wiggle around is pretty slick, and there's a lot of detail to the parts. Still, probably not doing another one any time soon, because I could see this poo poo getting boring really fast.

Good work so far! I look forward to getting shithoused by that thing this weekend!

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

jadebullet posted:

There's a Helcult formation that makes them more survivable and ridiculously Killy in close combat if enough make it. They die by the bucket load as soon as anyone starts shooting at them, but that's kind of the point. Mark of Nurgle will make them last a bit longer. Cultist blobs make for great tarpits. And with enough models, you're likely to get some awesome and memorable rolls. I've had cultists take wounds off Avatars and almost kill them before reinforcements showed up. I've had them survive running across a minefield, avoid shots from a wraith Lord and leg it to camp on an objective. They're fun. Go in with the expectation they'll die, but use that to further your aims whilst still being incredibly fluffy.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't know how you do it--the existing cultist models don't lend themselves super-well to simple kitbashing without a lot of cutting (though cadian guardsmen do just fine, I think--especially for Alpha Legion cultists). Although I do think it might be cool to pepper in some of the old metal chaos cultists.

And there's the issue. I really didn't like the GW cultists, as they didn't fit the aesthetic I am going for. Unfortuately, the Forgeworld renegades do, but I managed to find a large lot of the torsos and heads on ebay that I picked up for a song. (And they weren't recasts, which was surprising)

Anyway, I just dropped a good chunk of change buying weapons, various legs, and various arms from Victoria miniatures because I really care about the aesthetic of my expendable space barbies, haha. Like I said, modeling is a huge part of the hobby for me, so I feel it is worth it.

It's also why my rhino is going to cost two rhinos.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what book this illustration (by Paul Dainton, I think) appears?

EDIT: Everyone's happy for that guy being lifted up, but I assume the cyber-cherubs are just looking to supplement their protein intake.

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 7, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I don't know how fluff-friendly this place is, but something's always bugged me about Nurgle. What's his appeal? Why would anyone worship him? Why would anyone think of diseases as gifts? I know how appealing it is to pick off a scab you've had for a while? Is it like that times a million?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

MrSlam posted:

I don't know how fluff-friendly this place is, but something's always bugged me about Nurgle. What's his appeal? Why would anyone worship him? Why would anyone think of diseases as gifts? I know how appealing it is to pick off a scab you've had for a while? Is it like that times a million?

Nurgle is not just death and decay, but also the nihilistic embrace of those things. To understand and even enjoy ones demise and revel in the universal life cycle that death and the birth of new things brings. He is both life and death. Nurgle is indeed twisted like all other Chaos gods, but he is the only is who genuinely cares for his followers. He is a jolly patron who likes nothing more than tending his garden and showing you the sights of his creation. People don't call him Great Father Nurgle for nothing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrSlam posted:

Also the promise of Nurgle is the promise eternal life, in whatever wretched, decaying form that may take. Slaanesh is offering pleasure, Khorne offers martial glory, and Tzeentch offers knowledge, but Nurgle is basically at the forefront of the "everlasting life" angle

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Finished painting up my warconvo. Heading over to a semi local event this weekend. They said "we can accommodate as many as you can bring." The majority of those in attendance will be my team. They don't know what they have brought upon themselves.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

PierreTheMime posted:

Nurgle is not just death and decay, but also the nihilistic embrace of those things. To understand and even enjoy ones demise and revel in the universal life cycle that death and the birth of new things brings. He is both life and death. Nurgle is indeed twisted like all other Chaos gods, but he is the only is who genuinely cares for his followers. He is a jolly patron who likes nothing more than tending his garden and showing you the sights of his creation. People don't call him Great Father Nurgle for nothing.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also the promise of Nurgle is the promise eternal life, in whatever wretched, decaying form that may take. Slaanesh is offering pleasure, Khorne offers martial glory, and Tzeentch offers knowledge, but Nurgle is basically at the forefront of the "everlasting life" angle

Oh, okay. So it's kind of a Sandman deal where they each represent a two-sides-to-the-same-coin kind of thing.
-Slaanesh is both pain and pleasure, agony and ecstasy. And her followers suffer from a numbness to all feeling.
-Khorne is victory and defeat. And it doesn't even matter who wins or loses, as long as someone always loses.
-Tzeentch is knowledge and ignorance, and we can see the kind of blessing ignorance can in this universe.
-Which makes Nurgle death and life. Every infection, parasite, virus, and fungus is just a blossom of new life albeit microscopic. Every life, big or small, is feeding off of something else.

And when you think about all those Imperium citizens living brutal meaningless lives to fuel unending horrifying wars under the tight grip of a bureacracy that actively does not care about them headed by a distant possibly dead god, you can see why the only logical way to live your life would be to embrace Nurgle. I mean at the very least he can kind of offer you a kind of hope whereas the :commissar:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
How many points minimum is a War Convocation?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Does anyone know what book this illustration (by Paul Dainton, I think) appears?

EDIT: Everyone's happy for that guy being lifted up, but I assume the cyber-cherubs are just looking to supplement their protein intake.

3rd edition rulebook I think

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

PierreTheMime posted:

How many points minimum is a War Convocation?

I think you can fit it in at just under 1500.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The Hel Cult looks interesting. I have been out of playing the game since 6th edition, and have yet to get the new rulebook so I don't know anything about formations except for people not being happy about the strength of some of them.

How do formations work? I know you have to take certain models and then they get certain rules, but how do the formations fit into the FOC? Can ICs join a formations infantry, such as a Dark Apostle joining the Helcult? Also, would the Hel Cult cultists still be scoring?

Sorry about all the questions. Formations are just very new to me, since I am used to the FOC.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
While researching Space Wolves I found this guy that makes custom pieces for knights:

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/comradequiche?li=pb

They are pricey, but awesome. You can get a RIPPED blood angels knight!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

The Hel Cult looks interesting. I have been out of playing the game since 6th edition, and have yet to get the new rulebook so I don't know anything about formations except for people not being happy about the strength of some of them.

How do formations work? I know you have to take certain models and then they get certain rules, but how do the formations fit into the FOC? Can ICs join a formations infantry, such as a Dark Apostle joining the Helcult? Also, would the Hel Cult cultists still be scoring?

Sorry about all the questions. Formations are just very new to me, since I am used to the FOC.

So your standard FOC is a detachment. In addition to that detachment, you can field formation detachments. So your army could be a standard FOC + the Helcult as a separate detachment (whose dudes don't count for your FOC). Or it could just be the Helcult (small game). Some detachments can be made of formations, and confer different rules from the standard FOC detachment (which gives Objective Secured). So most of the time, your army will be a standard detachment + the formation as a separate detachment.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, stripping and redoing my Centurions hasn't been what I'd call fun. I forgot how delicate they are and how badly the walking ones balance when you are trying to glue their single foot to the base. I ended up pinning the bastard...

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good work so far! I look forward to getting shithoused by that thing this weekend!

Thanks! I'm debating whether I want to put the shoulderpads on later, because a) they make it look extremely top-heavy, and b) sun's out, guns out.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

MrSlam posted:

People are usually dying of disease when they turn to Nurgle, like the Death Guard, so they usually convert for self-interest

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm now imagining Papa Nurgle sipping from his World's Best Dad mug and chuckling at the funnies section of the newspaper.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TheChirurgeon posted:

So your standard FOC is a detachment. In addition to that detachment, you can field formation detachments. So your army could be a standard FOC + the Helcult as a separate detachment (whose dudes don't count for your FOC). Or it could just be the Helcult (small game). Some detachments can be made of formations, and confer different rules from the standard FOC detachment (which gives Objective Secured). So most of the time, your army will be a standard detachment + the formation as a separate detachment.

Thanks man. So would the cultists still be scoring then, or are they considered no longer scoring since they are a different detachment?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

Thanks man. So would the cultists still be scoring then, or are they considered no longer scoring since they are a different detachment?

They're scoring, they just don't have the Objective Secured rule because they aren't Troops in a standard FOC detachment.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Post 9-11 User posted:

I'm now imagining Papa Nurgle sipping from his World's Best Dad mug and chuckling at the funnies section of the newspaper.

I remember one of the Dark Heresy supplements had Nurgle heralds that were simply demons composed entirely of roiling insects and vermin encased in biohazard suits, I always wanted to use them someday in a horror themed campaign because they seemed really unnerving.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Post 9-11 User posted:

There's a great little story in the current Chaos Daemons codex where an elite squad of Eldar seers infiltrate into Nurgle's realm to attempt to rescue their captured goddess Isha. They sneak toward Nurgle's base of power, which is literally a mansion at the heart of a fetid swamp/garden, where Isha is held, but get stalled in the mire as daemons become alerted to their presence. When Nurgle discovers them, he quickly rots away the protective spirit stones they had kept on their corporeal bodies to protect themselves while projecting their spirits inside his realm. He then tears their spirits from their bodies and roots them into the swamp, to twist and become trees in his orchard.

Don't gently caress with a gardener, son. :bahgawd:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hencoe posted:

I meant his lack of MtC, I've used him for an HQ in a hormagaunt brood a couple times in low point games.

Too bad grenades work on a per model basis, and not with the whole squad. Honestly nids can get around grenades pretty easily, so it only really matters on genestealers.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

LordAba posted:

Too bad grenades work on a per model basis, and not with the whole squad. Honestly nids can get around grenades pretty easily, so it only really matters on genestealers.

Wait seriously? Then I've been playing that wrong, I thought it was if the unit had assault grenades. Whoops.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

3rd edition rulebook I think

I am 90% sure that's in 4th. The remaining 10% chance is that it's in my Horus Heresy artbook I'm too lazy to get up and check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Cool as hell jungle Tau.

Looks seriously great, dude. Would love to see what you could do with some jungle Stealth Suits.

• Locked thread