Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Quandary posted:

Resume is too long. You want 1 page, no more no less. I'd also look at a different style sheet, google one of the 10 million different resume sites to find something that looks a bit less like you just typed into word with no attempts to format.

At a glance on your resume, the top is way way too many words. Make it bullet points and split it up, and just remove a lot of it. An employer that sees you have 'conflict resolution' as a skill is going to (probably rightly) see it as meaningless fluff. If you have something in your history that specifically states to why 'conflict resolution' is a particular skill of yours, highlight it in the right position. IE if as an adjunct it was a major part of what you were doing, put it there with specific examples instead. As a general rule, don't have a skills section, but instead incorporate it into other sections. I'd also recommend trimming down your work history. Right now it looks like a ton of 6 month jobs which, while maybe accurate, isn't the impression you want to give. I'd do stuff like combine the top three Adjunct positions into one, and then as sub points list the places you taught. Similar stuff with the rest of your positions - the goal is to look like you aren't getting fired from a position every 6 months. Also, remove some of the positions: no one who wants to hire gives a single poo poo you worked as a forum moderator 10 years ago, for example. It's completely irrelevant and somewhat unprofessional. Do you have any extracurriculars? Volunteer work, clubs, organizations, leadership? That sorts stuff would be really good as a third section, in addition to education and work experience.

Sorry if this comes across harsh, but your resume definitely could use some work. If you make an update, I'm sure people will be happy to take a second pass at it.

I didn't really look at your cover letter, sorry I hate those on principle and think they're a waste of time for the employer.

Thanks, I was opposed to the world salad at the top myself but I was told to do that in order to make sure my resume gets a high ranking on whatever scanning software HR uses. I will definitely work on it this weekend. I only put the moderator spot on there to try and eek out some experience for marketing/social media type jobs. I do have some volunteer & leadership experience that I had on my CV but I cut it for the resume. I think part of my problem is trying to go from a CV to a resume which I haven't written for years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Alder posted:

You can't write expected graduation date since that'd be committing fraud on your resume. Just write "coursework in xyz" and you should be OK.
It sounds like he is still (slowly) working on the degree, so writing "BA, Underwater Basket Weaving (expected 2028)" would totally be fine. A resume is a sales document. You don't want to tell lies, but there isn't an expectation that you disclose every minute detail about everything on it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bisty Q. posted:

It sounds like he is still (slowly) working on the degree, so writing "BA, Underwater Basket Weaving (expected 2028)" would totally be fine. A resume is a sales document. You don't want to tell lies, but there isn't an expectation that you disclose every minute detail about everything on it.

Just saying it's not a good idea v:v:v

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Alder posted:

Just saying it's not a good idea v:v:v

On what grounds are you basing this? Your opinion? It's not a legal document. If you're graduating in May 2016, you can absolutely say "Expected graduation 5/16" or whatever. If your date is years down the road, I would just say that you're currently attending, but if the end is in sight, why wouldn't you declare that?

A resume is a marketing tool to get you an interview where you can elaborate further. You should never fabricate, but you CAN tell your story.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Alder posted:

You can't write expected graduation date since that'd be committing fraud on your resume. Just write "coursework in xyz" and you should be OK.
seconding that this is terrible advice and this mindset is absolutely, positively not the norm among HR professionals, hiring managers, or the Yale Office of Career Strategy which explicitly tells students to do the opposite of what you're saying

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dark Helmut posted:

On what grounds are you basing this? Your opinion? It's not a legal document. If you're graduating in May 2016, you can absolutely say "Expected graduation 5/16" or whatever. If your date is years down the road, I would just say that you're currently attending, but if the end is in sight, why wouldn't you declare that?

A resume is a marketing tool to get you an interview where you can elaborate further. You should never fabricate, but you CAN tell your story.

Because it doesn't really state how much of the course they completed so far? Unless they are graduating this summer/fall. Why not ask someone at the career center for their specific career jic?

FWIW: I had a expected graduation and most people just ignored it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Alder posted:

Because it doesn't really state how much of the course they completed so far?
It matters when they're not going to be in school anymore

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Alder posted:

Because it doesn't really state how much of the course they completed so far? Unless they are graduating this summer/fall. Why not ask someone at the career center for their specific career jic?

I'm not sure why it's a bad idea? It's based on the number of credits I need and the number of classes I plan to take per semester. It's when I, uh, expect to graduate. Seems like it's straight forward.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Alder posted:

Career center? I haven't dived into your post history but I'm guessing you're still in school? I'm speaking about this from the perspective of someone who critiques resumes and interviews people every day and I'm simply saying you're wrong to advise someone not to put an expected graduation date on their resume, period.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'll be graduating soon with a master's and I haven't been having particularly good luck with job hunting so far. I'm reasonably confident in my resume based on feedback from people I've shown it to, including a few who hired in the industry I'm most interested in, but I'm much less confident in my cover letters. Most cover letter advice I've found so far has come across to me as either too gushing or too robotic - I want to avoid both, and was hoping for feedback on a recent cover letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxyBn3fecLoENmpFcmtwZWtHX1k/view?usp=sharing

Is it too dry/formulaic? Are my explanations of my experience clear and selling? I'm not really sure.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

seconding that this is terrible advice and this mindset is absolutely, positively not the norm among HR professionals, hiring managers, or the Yale Office of Career Strategy which explicitly tells students to do the opposite of what you're saying
I totally agree with Vulture Culture. I'm a hiring manager, and it's totally fine to put (expected, 5/2016) after your degree if you're graduating soon.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Can someone critique my resume? I know it's kinda long but I have worked at a lot of places in a short amount of time so it's going to be hard to cut it down to 1 page. I already added "Additional Experience" at the bottom and cut down some of my experience. Also in general, I feel IT resumes are better when they are more detailed instead of giving brief descriptions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/369vneh9buuxnby/somethingawful.docx?dl=0

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

lol internet. posted:

Can someone critique my resume? I know it's kinda long but I have worked at a lot of places in a short amount of time so it's going to be hard to cut it down to 1 page. I already added "Additional Experience" at the bottom and cut down some of my experience. Also in general, I feel IT resumes are better when they are more detailed instead of giving brief descriptions.

What really jumps out at me is that you don't provide any details. Try to condense the list and quantify it - how many? Also try to include results and impact: did you save the company money? Reduce the occurrence of bad things? Improve operations? Positive feedback from executives?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

lol internet. posted:

Wow this is long. I don't love the way you split up your experience into responsibilities and key contributions. Pick the important ones and only mention those. You mentioned making it detailed, which I agree is important, but your bullet points are all very brief individually. For instance, this is much better bullet point

quote:

Architected, planned and re-implemented Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM 2007)
Than this, which tells me very little about what you achieved in your role.

quote:

Day to day LAN operations

I would drop the 'additional experience' section completely. You don't need to list every job you've ever had and more entry-level tech support positions are unlikely to sway anyone to hire you compared to your most recent jobs. That also applies to your job from 2006-2008. I'm also not convinced you need that summary statement up at the top. That's what your cover letter is for.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 6, 2016

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

My alumni career services adviser also gave me some tips so I have both a chronological resume:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4dno4p77e4de5b/resume.goon.chronological.docx?dl=0

and a functional resume:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zudxczht7l4gw3/resume.goon.functional.docx?dl=0

I would appreciate any suggestions - I think this is already an improvement!

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I'm unhappy with my current job for various reasons and have been interviewing around at other companies. I have an interview with one I'd like to work at on Thursday, and I feel like I have a good chance of getting it. Here's my issue, however:

I found out on the day I scheduled my interview that my current job wants me to go on a business trip overseas for a week+, leaving a month from today. They want me to schedule it ASAP. I'm dragging my feet on it because I want to see how this interview on Thursday goes first. Of course, this is all moot if I don't get this new job, but what if I do? Do I continue with business as normal at my current job and book the trip? Hold out until Thursday before booking the flight? Tell the new job that I need to finish this week long overseas trip first?

Other people are waiting for me to book my trip so they can plan their trips around me. This is really stressing me out.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Cheesegod posted:

I'm unhappy with my current job for various reasons and have been interviewing around at other companies. I have an interview with one I'd like to work at on Thursday, and I feel like I have a good chance of getting it. Here's my issue, however:

I found out on the day I scheduled my interview that my current job wants me to go on a business trip overseas for a week+, leaving a month from today. They want me to schedule it ASAP. I'm dragging my feet on it because I want to see how this interview on Thursday goes first. Of course, this is all moot if I don't get this new job, but what if I do? Do I continue with business as normal at my current job and book the trip? Hold out until Thursday before booking the flight? Tell the new job that I need to finish this week long overseas trip first?

Other people are waiting for me to book my trip so they can plan their trips around me. This is really stressing me out.

Do you think you'd be able to work out a start date that's 4-6 weeks after you get the offer at the new company? If so, I'd say it's business as usual. Tell the new guys you have a project you want to wrap up and keep it mum at your old job until you get back. Give your 2 weeks notice so that it corresponds with the start date you worked out.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
^^ what Puppy Galaxy said ^^^

In general, and unless it's a super urgent need, most employers will respect that you need to wrap up a project you're on. Especially because it implies you'd show them the same respect. Just reference the project being the reason of course, and not the "sweet trip to Amsterdam on the company tab, bruh"

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Give your 2 weeks notice so that it corresponds with the start date you worked out.

I tend to give longer if I can assuming I don't have no issues with boss\management\company. Currently I gave six week notice because the way I see it, is they ask me to leave immediately for security reasons (I work in IT) and I get paid till then. Any reason why hold out for 2 weeks only?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I don't know that they are obligated to pay you for 6 weeks. I could be wrong though, but I wouldn't want to assume that.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I know you're not supposed to call to follow up on an application these days, but is there ever a point where a call or email wouldn't hurt?

I've applied for a municipal job I really want. My application is still listed as "in process" and based on past experience applying for jobs I was less qualified for with the same city, I know they don't waste any time sending you an email letting you know you're no longer under consideration. It's been about a month since the application deadline for this position, however. Should I just keep waiting to avoid seeming over-eager?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

lol internet. posted:

I tend to give longer if I can assuming I don't have no issues with boss\management\company. Currently I gave six week notice because the way I see it, is they ask me to leave immediately for security reasons (I work in IT) and I get paid till then. Any reason why hold out for 2 weeks only?

Well I'm not in IT and haven't really had big management positions, so maybe it differs. Two weeks is considered the respectful thing to do. If you like the job and have a good relationship with your superiors there's nothing wrong with giving more notice. I've never held a position where I get severance pay; if I did and I liked my boss I guess I might give notice equal to the severance pay if it's under 6 weeks.

I suggested two weeks to this guy because his company is sending him overseas so he can ask his new job for a start date in 6 weeks and not risk losing out on what could be a good opportunity within his current position.

In my case all paid vacation/sick time goes away when you give your notice, so I may try and negotiate a start date a month or so in the future and take a couple paid days off before giving my notice.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm wondering if it is kosher for me to call a job regarding what is going on.

I finished a third interview for a position last thursday. The interview was with a client I would be working with, and they then said that they where going to contact their main branch in Europe. I then talked to the representative at the office where the position would be at, who said that they would like me to begin working there probably next week once they hear back from the European client about what they thought of me.

I didn't hear back anything yet, and I was wondering if I should call them and ask what was going on, or if I should wait a little longer. They had sounded eager to have me start working, but this also my first big job opportunity and I'm just feeling very anxious about the whole thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Your interview was Thursday and they need to communicate with Europe? Chill.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Alright, that's a good point. The turn around for the first two interviews went really fast so my expectations are probably out of whack with reality.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

So I've had 2 interviews for a position and I'll have 2 more if I get the job (one more if I totally gently caress up interview #3). I think I have a decent shot at the position. I'm wondering about whether or not I should attempt to negotiate the salary if I get an offer. Some relevant info:

-Position is so entry level, it has "entry level" right in the title. It's a top company to work for in my field so I'm willing to be in the trenches (customer service) for a little bit as there is ample opportunity for growth.

-Fairly certain I have more experience than their average hire (someone right out of college). Conversely, I lack a degree. (They do some tuition reimbursement which is part of why I want the position).

-The salary they quoted me was OK for the area and the position as I understand it. It's barely more than I'm making now, which isn't much. So I could continue to survive on it.

Conventional wisdom is to negotiate, but the recruiter said "everyone" starts at X amount. I've asked various forums, some say they'll rescind the offer on the spot if I ask about negotiating, some say I should go for it.

What do you guys think?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

some say they'll rescind the offer on the spot if I ask about negotiating
If this ever happens it's a giant red flag that you didn't want to ever be working there

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

If this ever happens it's a giant red flag that you didn't want to ever be working there

Yeah, the jobs I've had I've never negotiated but looking back they've often left a window to do so. My thinking was I'd say "is there any room for negotiation?" and if they say no, say "hey, I had to ask" or something. I'm gonna take the job if they offer it to me because my current company makes me want to put a bullet in my head.

On the other hand it's an entry level job at a desirable company so the person who said that (claimed to be a recruiter themselves) got me worried.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My thinking was I'd say "is there any room for negotiation?"
Before Dik Hz chimes in with the same thing: never ask to negotiate. It starts off negotiation by sending a clear signal that you have no clue how to negotiate.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

Before Dik Hz chimes in with the same thing: never ask to negotiate. It starts off negotiation by sending a clear signal that you have no clue how to negotiate.

So they say "this job pays X" and i say "how about Y"?

That dude who said he'd fire me on the spot has me spooked I guess. Basically I'm worried they'd be like "we have a dozen people we might hire who won't care about compensation."

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

That dude who said he'd fire me on the spot has me spooked I guess. Basically I'm worried they'd be like "we have a dozen people we might hire who won't care about compensation."

There's a saying "You get what you pay for." Go for what you feel you're worth. Worse comes to worse is they say no.

If they said something like that, that really isn't a place you'd want to work for I'd imagine unless you're ready to be used and abused.

At my recent job, when I got my offer, I was offered 55k, I countered with this:

quote:

I am excited about the duties of the job, *company name* seems to be a good fit for me and I believe that the *department* team and I could work well together.

After reviewing the compensation package and spending the weekend to think about it. I believe a base salary of $62,000 per year fits my role as my proven track record of delivering results will justify the requested compensation.

Looking forward to your response.

Essentially I got called back and got that about 58k but with after 100% RRSP/401K matching, it was essentially 62k. Worse comes to worse is they say no, the alternative is if you feel the payment is fair, ask for extra vacation days.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 8, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It's true that your negotiating position is based on how much an employer can afford not to hire you. But unless you're starving and behind on your rent and have no choice but to take a job like that, you shouldn't worry about people like that guy. People who pull that poo poo are saving you from a workplace that will never, ever value you. Those places are soul-crushing, they will eat you, and they will never develop your career in any meaningful way.

Circling back around to this:

Puppy Galaxy posted:

So they say "this job pays X" and i say "how about Y"?
Negotiating is salesmanship. There's no script you can follow. You need to understand your negotiating position and your prospective employer's negotiating position. This means understanding something about the industry, the company, and the role within it that you're being offered. It also means understanding your own worth: your willingness to walk should really be grounded in your ability to get a better offer somewhere else.

Some companies pay better than others. Some employers, especially public employers, may be bound by union contracts and have no leeway whatsoever in what kind of salary and benefits you'll receive. But if you ask for a compensation package that's within the ballpark of their budget, anyone who isn't a complete rear end in a top hat (again: them revealing this early is doing you a favor) is not likely to shut the whole process down. The worst that happens is that they'll fail to budge, and reiterate their original offer.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 8, 2016

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Question on formatting that ties back into some previous discussion. I'm a senior, double majoring in computer science and linguistics, and I got accepted to a master's at my current university, in computational linguistics. It's only one year due to me being an alumnus and thus having the relevant background coursework, but I would graduate with the same degree that the regular MA students do.

How should this be formatted on a resume (one University Name heading or two?) and is it okay for me to put "Expected May 2017" for the master's even though I haven't technically started it yet? If I do put it, does it deserve an explanation, on either the resume or a cover letter? Right now, I have something like this:
code:
University Name													City, State
Master of Arts in Computational Linguistics									Expected May 2017
Accepted for 2016-2017 as part of BA/MA program

University Name													City, State
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Language and Linguistics						Expected May 2016
(GPA, awards/scholarships, relevant coursework for position, etc)
except formatted nicely :v:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

What do you guys think?
A lot of "entry level hiring" programs do pay everyone they intake in one year the same thing, but only a horribly disreputable company would revoke the offer for you trying to negotiate. If you ask for more, they say "we pay everyone the same thing", and then you still try to push it, I could see them yanking the offer.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Jesus you guys are so much better than Reddit. Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 8, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Puppy Galaxy posted:

So I've had 2 interviews for a position and I'll have 2 more if I get the job (one more if I totally gently caress up interview #3). I think I have a decent shot at the position. I'm wondering about whether or not I should attempt to negotiate the salary if I get an offer. Some relevant info:

-Position is so entry level, it has "entry level" right in the title. It's a top company to work for in my field so I'm willing to be in the trenches (customer service) for a little bit as there is ample opportunity for growth.

-Fairly certain I have more experience than their average hire (someone right out of college). Conversely, I lack a degree. (They do some tuition reimbursement which is part of why I want the position).

-The salary they quoted me was OK for the area and the position as I understand it. It's barely more than I'm making now, which isn't much. So I could continue to survive on it.

Conventional wisdom is to negotiate, but the recruiter said "everyone" starts at X amount. I've asked various forums, some say they'll rescind the offer on the spot if I ask about negotiating, some say I should go for it.

What do you guys think?
You should really read the negotiation thread because I just posted this there. But your recruiter is not your friend. Your recruiter gets paid when he places you in a job. If he lowers your expectations so that you're more likely to take the job, he's more likely to get paid. You may think that since your recruiter makes a percentage of your salary on placement that he'd want you to make as much money as possible. But you'd be wrong. He wants the quick easy buck. No the hard earned extra 5%.

But seriously, read the negotiation thread.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

I think its normaly swenblack who posts that, but I agree fully.

Vulture Culture posted:

Totally agree. If someone tries to punish you for negotiating, they are a lovely person who you do not want to work for. Run, don't walk, away.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Puppy Galaxy posted:

What do you guys think?

I'm going to play devil's advocate with this one. It's an entry level position, so the real pull here is NOT what you're making at start but where you'll be after you get in and prove yourself and gain valuable experience, which I would infer that you're not getting where you are now.

So with that said, if you must, then state your case/reasoning for asking for more $$, but understand that they may indeed have a habit of starting at a set rate to see if you cut the mustard plus the tuition reimbursement isn't free for them and is effectively a nice raise for you, right? But as was said above, if they rescind the offer that's an obvious dealbreaker.

I know I'd be on the fence as to whether or not I'd ask though, because everything else sounds like this is a great opportunity with a fair salary and compensation as well as the vaunted "room for growth" that someone junior in their career needs.

Good luck man!

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
So I had my onsite interview yesterday - it went decent despite it being 6 hours long. Didn't knock it out of the park, but didn't completely blow it. They said they would be in contact with me today and sure enough they were. They emailed at 10am this morning to schedule a call with the recruiter and hiring manager.

Is this a good sign? A bad sign? The wording of the email sounds neutral (probably intentionally so). I'm freaking out because I don't know if they're going to say I got the job or if the recruiter and manager are blocking off some time to tell me how bad I did yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Cheesegod posted:

So I had my onsite interview yesterday - it went decent despite it being 6 hours long. Didn't knock it out of the park, but didn't completely blow it. They said they would be in contact with me today and sure enough they were. They emailed at 10am this morning to schedule a call with the recruiter and hiring manager.

Is this a good sign? A bad sign? The wording of the email sounds neutral (probably intentionally so). I'm freaking out because I don't know if they're going to say I got the job or if the recruiter and manager are blocking off some time to tell me how bad I did yesterday.

Is this a humblebrag? :confuoot:

Most companies don't block off two peoples' calendars just to give feedback on how horribly you did. You're probably in the driver's seat, broseph.