Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

DerekSmartymans posted:

I hate suicide watch because I don't get to read my books.

That loving sucks. What's the reason behind this? Suicide via book? Careful not to take Atlas Shrugged, you might bore yourself to death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr.Tophat posted:

That loving sucks. What's the reason behind this? Suicide via book? Careful not to take Atlas Shrugged, you might bore yourself to death?

Books I like have sci-fi violence and women getting naked occasionally. Not allowed. They don't read the book and make these decisions, they go by book-linings and cover art. Try to explain the the picture of the drow ranger chopping up orcs and goblins to somebody without letting fantasy thinking come out :-).

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

DerekSmartymans posted:

Books I like have sci-fi violence and women getting naked occasionally. Not allowed. They don't read the book and make these decisions, they go by book-linings and cover art. Try to explain the the picture of the drow ranger chopping up orcs and goblins to somebody without letting fantasy thinking come out :-).

So you are saying there is a market to sell books with drab covers and Meh blurbs? When would they check the book? When it arrives in the mail or when you try to bring it in? If so time to make institutional books.com could be a thing where you prey upon the lazy worker who checks these things.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Usually on check-in or when my parents try to bring me some. I have two floor to ceiling bookcases at home full of paperbacks not for hospital reading. And yes, it is all about the cover-art and blurb.

I have another rack of math and chemistry books that get passed through because they have been passed or books like them have passed and I am there enough that they know my predilections anyway.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Op I'm glad you didn't kill yourself and are getting the help you need. Unironically

N'thing this. I'm glad you're in a better place

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

My roommate during my stay was an older woman who told me she was a millionaire after winning the lottery. It wasn't a very ritzy hospital, so I wondered why she would be there instead of a fancier place. Later I was telling my parents how I thought that was strange, and they were like, "Well..." And then I was like, "Ohhhh...what you're saying is that she was crazy and not really a millionaire. That makes a lot more sense, I guess."

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I.C. posted:

My roommate during my stay was an older woman who told me she was a millionaire after winning the lottery. It wasn't a very ritzy hospital, so I wondered why she would be there instead of a fancier place. Later I was telling my parents how I thought that was strange, and they were like, "Well..." And then I was like, "Ohhhh...what you're saying is that she was crazy and not really a millionaire. That makes a lot more sense, I guess."
But please, tell us why you were there.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
ever since finding out that skeletons walk along us i have been committed to asylum for the rest of my days

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Putty posted:

ever since finding out that skeletons walk along us i have been committed to asylum for the rest of my days

Knowledge of the skeleton war changes one so

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

OP congrats on doing better and stuff.

maybe posting on an internet forum where the phrase "kill youreself" can be word-filtered to "hello sir" and nobody would notice isnt the best way to continue your recovery

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mr.Tophat posted:

Knowledge of the skeleton war changes one so

it is either the funny farm or hellthread

for the truly unlucky, both

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

a hole-y ghost posted:

But please, tell us why you were there.

because he didn't win the lottery

duh

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

jackyl posted:

because he didn't win the lottery

duh

the genetic lottery is a rigged game I'll tell you what

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

dad gay. so what posted:

i remember one girl who i really liked and was part of our "inner circle" tried to slit her wrists and then i just wanted to leave

e: i mean she did slit her wrists but i think she might have been trying to commit suicide, so i guess i meant "tried to commit suicide" sorry for the ocnfusion

this post is three quarters of a mobius strip

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm glad you're doing better, Fergus. Those feelings of terrible, terrible depression are one of the worst things a person can experience.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ElGroucho posted:

Underrated comment

How much are you in to Doctor Who? Probably a lot, right?

i'm practicing the black art of thread necromancy to let you know that i don't give too many hoots about dr who, but one of my friends in the unit was very into it and she read dr who books and when i told her about episodes i had seen she knew exactly who wrote them and stuff

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

one of the group therapy handouts was on not taking yourself too seriously

Did they cover the terrible secret of space?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Berious posted:

Did they cover the terrible secret of space?

I dunno about space but if you do ECT regularly you learn the secret of Wu-Tang...

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...

DerekSmartymans posted:

I was a "visual" as well when I went to the teen loony bin right before I hit 18, but we were still allowed books :( I would've tried to make an escape if I didn't have books to read at night when the barely existent dose of painkillers they give you didn't help. We just couldn't sleep in rooms (instead, the hallway floors with lights on), showers were monitored, etc. Did they at least have a selection of any at all? I didn't mind dealing with the dumb 90s "unpopular girl wins popular guys heart!!"
I think that place made me crazy

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kittycopter posted:

Did they at least have a selection of any at all?
I think that place made me crazy

The Bible and some magazines. I've read the Bible before, and the only things good in the magazine racks was catching up on recent JAMA's.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
Congrats on doing something that must have been very hard to do, and getting the help that you needed. I hope that things continue to look up for you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
hey guys just want to come in with an update + plea for any goons who think they might have mood disorders to get help and work hard to fight them. I think right now, despite lots of things not going my way, I am about the happiest I've ever been in my life. I don't feel like I'm leaning on anything that's going on in my life as a crutch, like if I lost ____ it would destroy me kind of thing. I've also been helping some friends old and new IRL to get the help they need and I want to offer my support, advice, etc to all you goons out there who are going through similar poo poo.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

thanks for bumping this dead thread OP

if you are ever in detroit go ask that brony scammer if you can get money for the bus

POOTER123
Nov 3, 2012

Harry in Rio posted:

i think i might be crazy, like legit crazy. i hear people talking about me through the walls, and i work on a dairy farm, i hear voices sometimes from empty areas in the parlors.

one of the people is sort of famous. he says stuff like "he's smoking weed again" and i'm not. i think my mail is being opened, by pros. sometimes my bank statements will smell like perfume, and then i'll get a card from a friend and it will smell like the exact same perfume.

i think there's cameras and microphones and i want to move. what's a good way to bring this up in conversation because i just read that back and even i think i might be a total loon.

who is the 'sorta famous' guy? we need a name. and did you consider your friend is opening your mail and pranking you since the perfume is the same? i suggest next time said friend is over lean in and smell him/her very hard to see if they have the same smell!

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
u guys ever think staff lie at these places (or try to over diagnosis) all the time

cuz theyre in it for the money

not the good of the patients

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So are you sane now?

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Posting on gbs. Are we a gateway to insanity or just stupidity

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

herhehejhrekjashsd posted:

u guys ever think staff lie at these places (or try to over diagnosis) all the time

cuz theyre in it for the money

not the good of the patients

i honestly don't think this at all no, and the people in the hospital who thought this tended to be the most obviously unbalanced. i think this attitude makes it much much harder to get well.

Darth123123 posted:

So are you sane now?

i am dramatically more emotionally stable but nope still got the depression. had a nasty bout of anxiety today and will have a lot of journaling to do tonight. but now i actually notice when i'm depressed, unlike before where i would only notice the rare occasions where i felt somewhat normal.

donkey salami posted:

Posting on gbs. Are we a gateway to insanity or just stupidity

just stupidity. however i think people who spend a lot of time on the internet are more likely to be socially isolated and as a result are more vulnerable to mental illness.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
57 days and 12 rounds of electro-convulsive treatment

probably should stay away from gbs for a while but i play by my own rules and dgaf

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Harry in Rio posted:

i think i might be crazy, like legit crazy. i hear people talking about me through the walls, and i work on a dairy farm, i hear voices sometimes from empty areas in the parlors.

one of the people is sort of famous. he says stuff like "he's smoking weed again" and i'm not. i think my mail is being opened, by pros. sometimes my bank statements will smell like perfume, and then i'll get a card from a friend and it will smell like the exact same perfume.

i think there's cameras and microphones and i want to move. what's a good way to bring this up in conversation because i just read that back and even i think i might be a total loon.

I'm not a doctor and I don't wish to scare you - tell a doctor about these symptoms! You could have a brain tumor. Brain tumors can cause phantom smells and hearing voices.

Check out the chart halfway down the page called "Symptoms due to the position of the brain tumour". According to this chart, if there is a tumor - based on these symptoms - it would be likely to be in your temporal lobe.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/brain-tumour/about/brain-tumour-symptoms

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
if i kill myself i will use pills. no muss no fuss : )

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Gatekeeper posted:

probably should stay away from gbs for a while but i play by my own rules and dgaf

:yaycloud:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

JiveHonky posted:

if i kill myself i will use pills. no muss no fuss : )

please don't attempt suicide. please get help instead. Talk to me if you want if you have PMs I will give you my cell phone number. There's also the suicide hotline and such

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gatekeeper posted:

that's rough brother, how are you feeling? Did it help?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

please don't attempt suicide. please get help instead. Talk to me if you want if you have PMs I will give you my cell phone number. There's also the suicide hotline and such

im too much of a coward. doesnt stop me from fantasizing though. thanks fergus

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
whats the deal with electro shock therapy? is it like a defibrulator but instead of ur heart its supposed to zap ur brain into having the correct...like patterns or whatever?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

whats the deal with electro shock therapy? is it like a defibrulator but instead of ur heart its supposed to zap ur brain into having the correct...like patterns or whatever?

theyr used for the first step of the frog jive, or 'barnyard galv'

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

JiveHonky posted:

im too much of a coward. doesnt stop me from fantasizing though. thanks fergus

well I aint your dad or your therapist but if you fantasize about suicide and have a specific plan it sounds like you could use some help

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
im in therapy and on the drugs. if it gets really bad i go to hospital like you did.

everything will work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

congratulations on finally moving out of your parents' house

• Locked thread