Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think some men (and I'm sure some women as well) get really mad about the idea of a woman having preferences. After all, we're not actually interested in sex, so it shouldn't matter :v:. I've never done online dating, but I did once have a short guy in a club yell at me about being shallow for not being interested in him. The shortness was a factor, to be sure, but so was the fact that he came on to me by looking me up and down and saying that he could motorboat my tits while we were both standing up. I'm surely a cold-hearted bitch for not swooning over that one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Whiny manchildren like that see "no kids" as you turning them down "before you gave them a chance."

Which is profoundly stupid because by saying poo poo like "not good enough for you huh," they're effectively slamming the door shut on themselves--you might've considered giving them the time of day if they'd said something like "Hey, our interests match up pretty well, but I have a 17-year-old son. I'd like to take you to dinner if that's cool with you because you seem awesome, but I understand if my having a kid is a dealbreaker."

But, instead, they go all sour grapes, kind of like fuckers at the bar who try to buy a girl a drink and go apeshit when they get gently denied.

"gently caress YOU YOU UGLY SKANK I DIDN'T WANT TO BUY YOU A DRINK ANYWAY"

Good show, chief. Exactly what women are looking for in a partner.

You're definitely right. I received a nice message from a man who clearly read my whole profile and said something to the effect of "I realize you'd prefer to date someone without kids, and I have two, but I liked your profile and wanted to write you anyway." I might have messaged that one back if I had been interested otherwise, but he wasn't my type and lives three hours away. So you definitely have a point there.

In fact, even though I'm not really interested, I may just write him back and say thank you for being so polite about it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Re: online dating peeves, I've already touched on most of mine early in this thread I think, but I really hate the practice of using a picture of you and your friend(s) as your main photo. Especially when a woman uses a photo with someone who's clearly more eye-catching to draw people in. It's even worse when they use exclusively group photos and you have to figure out who the common denominator in each picture is. I get it, you have a social life, which is good. But I would also like to know what you look like more than what your friends (or family! Don't put your grandma in your Tinder pictures!) look like.

This mostly bugs me when it's kids. I don't care if it's your kids or your niece/nephew, there's something that skeeves me out about children in dating profile photos. You're showing photos of children to strangers. Maybe the kids (or the kid's parents, if you're their aunt/uncle/godparent) don't want you using their kids' images to woo the ladies and gents?

Crow Jane posted:

I think some men (and I'm sure some women as well) get really mad about the idea of a woman having preferences. After all, we're not actually interested in sex, so it shouldn't matter :v:. I've never done online dating, but I did once have a short guy in a club yell at me about being shallow for not being interested in him. The shortness was a factor, to be sure, but so was the fact that he came on to me by looking me up and down and saying that he could motorboat my tits while we were both standing up. I'm surely a cold-hearted bitch for not swooning over that one, right?

Probably. And a lot of people come onto the dating scene with chips on their shoulders already, so they take a gentle "no, thanks" as a confirmation that we're all shallow bitches. I'm starting to get it with my age--as if, at 37, I should be grateful for any male attention they deign to bestow upon me. Please, bitch, I may be 37 but I don't have to settle for you. I'd rather be alone than be harangued into a date by a guy I'm not interested in.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The hosed up thing is that I've had girlfriends in the past who have encouraged me to go out with guys I had no interest in, because they seemed nice and I shouldn't hurt their feelings. Because leading someone on is somehow better? For some mysterious reason, those ladies and I aren't friends anymore.

Pretty sure if my current relationship goes kaput for whatever reason, I'm just gonna call it a day and take up needlepoint or something. I just really don't think I could deal with going through the whole courtship thing at this point.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Mar 4, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Best part about the friends pushing someone to date, is that they're usually the ones with a crappy boy/girlfriend that they always bitch about, who's not interested in anything about them and couldn't care less. Or they're the type who reek of desperation because they think they absolutely, positively MUST be married and have kids before they hit 30 because traditions or religion or family pressure, then end up in a codependent abusive marriage with 7 kids in a busted trailer surrounded by trash and booze.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Online dating is my pet peeve. God what a shitshow. It's a real ego-bruiser for us guys and I can only imagine it's ten times worse for women. Thank god that part of my life is (probably) over. knock on wood

Half-assed drivers. I live in a smallish semi-rural town and my street is just off of a major arterial road with a speed limit of 40mph. Along that street, there's a school zone that drops it down to 20mph. The signs say:

School Zone
School days 7am-5pm

Simple, right? If you're driving there during business hours on a weekday (except during the summer), slow down to 20. Otherwise, do 40. If you honestly couldn't read or didn't understand the sign, do 20 to be safe. But consistently, I get stuck behind chucklefucks doing 32mph. THAT IS THE WORST POSSIBLE SPEED IN THIS SITUATION. If the sign is not in effect, you are going wayyy under the speed limit and pissing everyone off. If it is, you're doing 160% of the speed limit and are certain to get pulled over. Read the sign, take your best guess, and drive like you loving mean it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I prefer the signs that list WHEN SCHOOL IS IN SESSION. Because every school around here has different weeks for spring break so you can never be sure.

The best school zone here has huge signs that read WHEN LIGHT IS FLASHING, SPEED IS 25MPH. And there's close to a dozen signs with lights so it's really hard to not get it.

Peeve: a friend of mine (like most of us) is struggling with money because gently caress it, no raises and the cost of living is up. But there is a con coming to town so she is freaked out and posting all kinds of crap about how she's taking time off and getting a hotel room at the con and OMG some people from Harry Potter will be there! And SHE HAS TO GO. It's like, really? I geek out about poo poo too but cons are loving expensive!

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

YeahTubaMike posted:

I sometimes got this on my appearance, but I mostly got it on my actual profile. Stuff like "You shouldn't mention video games, it makes you sound like a nerd." Uh, okay?

To be frank, being a goon and all I'd actually love to hear a casual mention of video games as long as she doesn't go full "lulz im a gamer gurl xDDDDD". Everyone seems to love their walks on the beach, a good beer, and adventure. And the Packers. gently caress Wisconsin.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

- I missed the people walking side by side discussion. My favourite example I've seen in person is of 2 groups of 6 and 3 people stopping side by side for literally no reason thus blocking off one of the widest paths there is. Another baffling behaviour I've seen is 2 separate incidents of a group of people stopping dead to form a queue for an empty escalator.

- Idiots doing nothing to stop the spread of their diseases. Someone holding a tissue in front of their face sat down next to me on the bus. Thanks for the flu bitch! It's not like some of us have underlying medical issues that make that more of a problem(!)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

Idiots doing nothing to stop the spread of their diseases. Someone holding a tissue in front of their face sat down next to me on the bus. Thanks for the flu bitch! It's not like some of us have underlying medical issues that make that more of a problem(!)

It sounds like she was trying to prevent the spread, though? Otherwise she would have just sneezed/coughed into the open air/on you.

I would, however, like it if people started wearing those doctor's masks. It seems more polite to be like "this way I'm less likely to breathe my plague breath on you". I'm tempted to do it the next time I'm sick, but I'm pretty sure I'd look like a goober.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

It sounds like she was trying to prevent the spread, though? Otherwise she would have just sneezed/coughed into the open air/on you.

I would, however, like it if people started wearing those doctor's masks. It seems more polite to be like "this way I'm less likely to breathe my plague breath on you". I'm tempted to do it the next time I'm sick, but I'm pretty sure I'd look like a goober.

I'd really like to do this when I am well enough to go to school/work, but not well enough to feel comfortable breathing in someone's airspace. I'm not really looking forward to the slew of questions though.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Bomrek posted:

I'd really like to do this when I am well enough to go to school/work, but not well enough to feel comfortable breathing in someone's airspace. I'm not really looking forward to the slew of questions though.

Too easy.

"I'm a surgeon, duh."

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Sociopastry posted:

I described it wrong. At no point was her tissue holding hand close to her face. It was in front of her (presumably because you wouldn't want a snotty tissue rubbing against the side of your coat) and she was looking at it while walking towards my seat which is where my retarded powers of description got "holding it in front of her face" from but her arm was basically at rest so that means below chest level while standing and probably in her lap while sitting. I probably got it from her standing right behind me when I was queuing to get off of the bus.

gently caress knows how I screwed that up. It's not as if I didn't read it back.

Sociopastry posted:

I've thought of something like that but it's so much looking like a goober that would hold me back as it is causing a panic by making people think I've got something much more serious.

Death Zebra has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Mar 6, 2016

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
People who post mutilated animals or children on social media. WHY. And with a fake story, plus.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sweet As Sin posted:

People who post mutilated animals or children on social media. WHY. And with a fake story, plus.

My god I feel you on this. It's even better when they also do this on tumblr. but without tags or something to blacklist the post pre-emptively because 'everyone should see it'.

It being mutilated corpses of dogs. Thanks jackoffs!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Wedemeyer posted:

My god I feel you on this. It's even better when they also do this on tumblr. but without tags or something to blacklist the post pre-emptively because 'everyone should see it'.

It being mutilated corpses of dogs. Thanks jackoffs!

I remember when I still used tumblr regularly and this girl posted a picture of a heavily mutilated dog. The great thing about tumblr is the tag system, which allows for you avoid stuff you think is gross, or boring, or that you're just plain tired of hearing of! Most people are so nice about it, too. Anyway, I asked this girl if she could tag something like that in the future and she launched into, "gently caress you, this is MY blog, I will post whatever I want." :stare: Oh... Okay.

Peeve: when I get all excited about a bath and I get into the tub and get a book and then... someone has used up all the water. :cripes: This just happened, and I just finished trimming my hair so I really needed a wash.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

I described it wrong. At no point was her tissue holding hand close to her face. It was in front of her (presumably because you wouldn't want a snotty tissue rubbing against the side of your coat) and she was looking at it while walking towards my seat which is where my retarded powers of description got "holding it in front of her face" from but her arm was basically at rest so that means below chest level while standing and probably in her lap while sitting. I probably got it from her standing right behind me when I was queuing to get off of the bus.

gently caress knows how I screwed that up. It's not as if I didn't read it back.

I've thought of something like that but it's so much looking like a goober that would hold me back as it is causing a panic by making people think I've got something much more serious.

oooooh, okay, that makes much more sense. Yeah, gently caress that lady. The worst offenders in my opinion are the ones that don't give a gently caress and will cough/sneeze directly into your face. It takes all I have not to hit them. Rude, first off, and second, I have a lovely immune system and am now doomed to two weeks of being sick.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

cash crab posted:

I remember when I still used tumblr regularly and this girl posted a picture of a heavily mutilated dog. The great thing about tumblr is the tag system, which allows for you avoid stuff you think is gross, or boring, or that you're just plain tired of hearing of! Most people are so nice about it, too. Anyway, I asked this girl if she could tag something like that in the future and she launched into, "gently caress you, this is MY blog, I will post whatever I want." :stare: Oh... Okay.

Peeve: when I get all excited about a bath and I get into the tub and get a book and then... someone has used up all the water. :cripes: This just happened, and I just finished trimming my hair so I really needed a wash.

Why are you getting into the tub if it isn't already full of water.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

People dragging their dogs round by the neck

Stop being such a turd-person, your dog gets out what twice a day tops to do the most fun thing in its whole tiny world and you can't let it sniff a bit of grass for a second? You realise the whole point of a walk is for the dogs enjoyment???

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

teenytinymouse posted:

People dragging their dogs round by the neck

Stop being such a turd-person, your dog gets out what twice a day tops to do the most fun thing in its whole tiny world and you can't let it sniff a bit of grass for a second? You realise the whole point of a walk is for the dogs enjoyment???

I was always under the impression it was to spare the rug.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Slime posted:

Why are you getting into the tub if it isn't already full of water.

I get in when it's about four inches high. Not sure why, it's probably one of those weird habits I didn't know were weird because it never comes up

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

cash crab posted:

one of those weird habits I didn't know were weird because it never comes up

See also: wiping when standing vs. wiping when sitting

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Maybe one of you can educate me, it might put my mind at ease.
But I don't understand why so many people use "an" in front of "historic" instead of "a". It's not french, it's a hard H.

I don't go to the deli for 'an hoagie'

I'm not terrified of 'an hippopotamus'

I assume it's some kind of custom-and-usage type of situation, but I don't get it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Captain Lavender posted:

But I don't understand why so many people use "an" in front of "historic" instead of "a". It's not french, it's a hard H.

I assume it's some kind of custom-and-usage type of situation, but I don't get it.

quote:

It is a traditional rule of English that 'an' can be used before words that begin with an H sound if the first syllable of that word is not stressed. Indeed, some traditionalists would say it must be used before such words. Since the first syllable of historic is unstressed, it is acceptable to use 'an' before it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I was wrong; my mind's not at ease.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I was going to post the same thing!
Also how is the H not stressed? It's not like "honest" or "hour."

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

If you're British it could be 'istoric but I think they mean the first syllable is not stressed rather than just the first letter because it is normally pronounced his-TOR-ic.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's a hard H, but the stressed syllable is is 'tor'. hi-STOR-ic.

I'm still grumbly about it.

efb

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Mar 8, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Captain Lavender posted:

I do this, but I tend to drop my 'h's from most words, so that historic comes out "istoric", for example, but I will often stress the 'h' in other words like home more, so that it comes out as "a home".

Peeve content: people talking to me while I am eating, especially strangers. It drives me up the wall, especially if I'm forced into sitting somewhere weird to eat lunch and someone bugs me about girl guides or student elections.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Death Zebra posted:

- I missed the people walking side by side discussion. My favourite example I've seen in person is of 2 groups of 6 and 3 people stopping side by side for literally no reason thus blocking off one of the widest paths there is. Another baffling behaviour I've seen is 2 separate incidents of a group of people stopping dead to form a queue for an empty escalator.

Is it a cultural thing in China or Korea to walk a hell of a lot slower than in the US? Because getting blocked by the Great Wall of China on the sidewalk blows where you're on a small sidewalk or there are like 3-4 of them side by side.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who when asked where they are from, instead of saying "I'm from san francisco" or "i'm from new york", they use the ~trendy~ vaguer term for the area, like "I'm from the Bay Area" or "I'm from the City", or the absolute worst "I'm from the West/East coast". It's even more annoying if you live around another bay (like Tampa Bay, for example) and they coopt this so you have to say "which one" all the time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who when asked where they are from, instead of saying "I'm from san francisco" or "i'm from new york", they use the ~trendy~ vaguer term for the area, like "I'm from the Bay Area" or "I'm from the City", or the absolute worst "I'm from the West/East coast". It's even more annoying if you live around another bay (like Tampa Bay, for example) and they coopt this so you have to say "which one" all the time.

If you're from Michigan you can be a super rear end in a top hat and just point at your hand!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

I simultaneously agree with you, but I simultaneously cannot stand when my relatives say I'm "from Chicago", even though I live nearly an hour away from the city. I can't really reconcile the two statements.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I have people on Facebook who go on nonstop about how great their 'work family' is. The only stories they tell are from work and if they ever go out its with coworkers. It just makes me wonder if they actually have real friends.

I'm nice to my coworkers and I'm even good friends with one or two of them, but for the most part we're only talking to one another because we're being paid to be there.

I suppose that wasn't a pet peeve as much as its just something that makes me sad for these people.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

cash crab posted:

Peeve content: people talking to me while I am eating, especially strangers. It drives me up the wall, especially if I'm forced into sitting somewhere weird to eat lunch and someone bugs me about girl guides or student elections.

Thank you! My father is brutal about this. I swear sometimes he waits until my mouth is full to ask me a question.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

I simultaneously agree with you, but I simultaneously cannot stand when my relatives say I'm "from Chicago", even though I live nearly an hour away from the city. I can't really reconcile the two statements.

To anyone not from chi-town (and especially people from downstate), that is Chicago. Villa Park, Cicero, Navy Pier, Naperville, Schaumburg, Oak Brook, Aurora, Rockford, Elgin, Crystal Lake, Waukegan, Arlington Heights, Woodstock--that poo poo's all "Chicago." Even if you live in Gary, Indiana, you are still "from Chicago."

Basically, there's one city in Illinois and you either live in it or in the corn. If you don't live in the corn, you're from Chicago :v:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
When I was a kid I thought the state of Illinois was called Chicago.

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Mar 8, 2016

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Thank you! My father is brutal about this. I swear sometimes he waits until my mouth is full to ask me a question.

Lunch interviews. Am I supposed to eat, or talk to you? If I do both, I'm rude.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

-way too loud, lovely, original music over overlong hair-washing montages

Ha. What about the overly long introductions about their "journey" or possibly even what they did today/where they're going?

This also applies to online recipes. Jesus Christ, I hate online recipes. And the healthier the dish, the longer the dissertation preceding the actual recipe is. Want to make some fried oyster poboys? Here's the poo poo you get, here's what you do with it. Want to try making Indian food?

quote:

Sometime ago, when I was planning to cook chicken, I thought of this one and started searching for the recipe, but couldnt find. To top it, I wrote it down on a tiny piece of paper. How I wish everything had some kind of button or code attached to it, so that we can give it a ring just like the mobile phone & find it instantly! Dont you think so? Anyways… a few days later, when I opened my recipe diary, some bits of paper fell down. Tada! It was the pepper chicken recipe…

There was a completely irrelevant paragraph before and after that one.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Because saying "I'm from (shithole an hour away from Chicago)" would cause the followup question "Oh, where's that?" to which you would need to respond "Near Chicago." It's not that hard to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Along those lines, I live in Baltimore. When the riots went down last spring, certain acquaintances of mine on Facebook, who almost uniformly live in white bread suburbs and probably lock their car doors the second they see a brown person, posted as if they were experts on the city, and continue to do so. Coming in once a year for a baseball game doesn't make you a resident, and certainly doesn't give your dogwhistle racism any substance.

Mind you, I'm white as hell and live in a solidly middle class part of the city, so I don't claim to have any real insight either. But it was certainly annoying.