Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ItBurns posted:

Buttith slaying Holofernes

The Fart

Butt (Butte)

La Butte

A Buttday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Butte

Self Buttrait

Starry Butt

Whistler's Butt

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The Guild Trek went to a spot I wasn't expecting.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ItBurns posted:

The Fart

Butt (Butte)

La Butte

Self Buttrait

Starry Butt

Whistler's Butt

I am so glad I actually checked this stupid thread

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ItBurns posted:

The Fart

Butt (Butte)

La Butte

Self Buttrait

Starry Butt

Whistler's Butt

Time to retire from posting nilgoow, you can't ever top this

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

MooCowlian posted:

loving seriously though I've played 6 pvp games so far today and there hasn't been a single one where I haven't been straight up outclassed by the entire enemy team. I normally enjoy this PvP but I've barely won a fight in two hours. Falling down and not even really knowing what mistakes I've made for two hours isn't remotely fun. I just want one fair game. Is that too much to ask for? One where I have a loving chance? A single goddamn game?

What class are you playing?

Playing specs/classes that have some control over engagement will allow you to not feel like you suck. Also, it's going to take you a bit to find out what your favorable match-ups are, especially if you aren't using a meta build.

P.S. I have two relatively long posts that go into depth of proper rotations and how to play the map. I reference the bunker meta a lot, but that isn't so much a big deal anymore.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm playing chill Reaper at the moment, so it's not like I'm playing something that's particularly bad or even difficult at emerald tier.

I'm definitely not perfect at rotating or picking fights, but I'm 500 matches into PvP at this point, so I'm not just barrelling into three dudes on mid (mostly). I genuinely think I'm trapped in a weird place where I'm just surrounded by people who are better at recognising my tells than I am at theirs, and who just have more experience in picking things like who to res/stomp and who to focus when.

edit: monday, game 4, 3 capped most of the game. This isn't that I'm making mistakes, it's that the enemy are just far better than me and my team every single loving game. It's probably just a lovely streak but whatever's causing it is making the game incredibly unfun.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 7, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

I'm playing chill Reaper at the moment, so it's not like I'm playing something that's particularly bad or even difficult at emerald tier.

I'm definitely not perfect at rotating or picking fights, but I'm 500 matches into PvP at this point, so I'm not just barrelling into three dudes on mid (mostly). I genuinely think I'm trapped in a weird place where I'm just surrounded by people who are better at recognising my tells than I am at theirs, and who just have more experience in picking things like who to res/stomp and who to focus when.

edit: monday, game 4, 3 capped most of the game. This isn't that I'm making mistakes, it's that the enemy are just far better than me and my team every single loving game. It's probably just a lovely streak but whatever's causing it is making the game incredibly unfun.

i am actually having the same problem but from the opposite perspective, my team is consistently superior to the enemy and it's not just one or two games, i have at least 30+ wins at this point and... maybe 3 or 4 losses?

it's almost as though matchmaking gains are inverted somehow

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
I should have my computer back in the next week or so!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe complaining really does work. Just won two in a row now. Maybe I'll finally escape from emerald.

edit: Won another! Sapphire time!

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 7, 2016

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
It's true, complaining is how you get things done. Always complain about everything, even complaining!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Tivac posted:

I never stopped reading it. It's a bummer, but a strong understanding of how the game is perceived is important.

I remember back in the first closed beta, the thread was just as negative back then as it is now. No one knew what the game would be like, and everyone was worried about it. But I was in the beta, I was playing it, and I knew it was really cool and good. I think it's kinda the same internally at anet, right? You guys are testing the changes, playing the patches before they release trying to make sure poo poo works. But people don't know what's happening outside of anet, and all you get is lip. :(

Anyway I had a dream where I was map completing the verdant cascade hot are on my mesmer. I was getting poo poo done and it was cool and good. I guess it's time for me to get back into the game, and not just hopping around DR every few days chatting for a couple of minutes.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

MooCowlian posted:

The most impactful advice I could give you, if your objective is to simply win more games in a solo-queue setting, is to play a Chronomancer with portal and moa morph. Play a spec that can duel well and become comfortable with those tools.

Portal is the single best ability for playing the map as it allows you to put pressure on mid while having a quick way back to home. I start every game by telling my team that I am going to portal home and rush mid. That means, most always, we will have a numbers advantage in our first team fight. The first team fight most always sets the game because pubbies are usually terrible at rotating. With moa morph, you can use temporal distortion, moa a target and have that target die very quickly, to be back home by the time someone on the other team realizes our home is empty. Moa eliminates all of the defenses on the classes you hate and allows you a favorable match-up against anyone. No other ability has that kind of impact.

If the only player you trust on your team is you and you want to strain to give yourself more control over the outcome of a match, then this is good way to do it. This advice is more for solo queues as coordination can easily overcome tactics as simple as these.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I do actually have a question that does have useful answers, if we're doing more PvP advice (thanks for what you've already given). What should be my priorities for targets? DPS first?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

I do actually have a question that does have useful answers, if we're doing more PvP advice (thanks for what you've already given). What should be my priorities for targets? DPS first?

I go for whatever I know I can kill easily, or whichever class is most vulnerable. Rev dies to Mes/Necro pretty easily. Engi and Ele are vulnerable after they use their defensive CDs but otherwise too tanky to bother given their lowish damage. Necro is a good target if I have moa up on Mes/Engi. Druids are good targets in team fights because of their ressing ability.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

If you're consistently outnumbered then you're probably rotating poorly. Quick-guide to playing the map in pvp (not specifically directed at you, there's just been a lot of pvp chat recently and figured it might help people):

You should generally try be mid or home and ready to rotate to the other, unless you've lost mid badly, in which case you can pressure far to try to pull them off mid (then take mid). If you are REALLY REALLY stomping you can go for the 3-cap but ime it's generally a bad idea.

If you've just respawned, take stock of the map. Are there any fights you can meaningfully contribute to (ie turn a losing fight into a winning one)? Are there any points your team owns that could use an extra guard? I see a lot of people just respawn and mindlessly sprint at the enemy meat grinder to die 2v4 over and over and over and suddenly you're 3 capped and camped into spawn and down 300 points. Any time you go somewhere you should have a specific purpose or goal in mind that you think you can accomplish that will contribute to your team winning. In other contexts it gets called "Playing with Intent," don't just do things for the sake of doing them, do them because you have a goal and a reason to do it.

Also, make sure you're playing to your strengths. My Elementalist is a teamfight/bunker build, so I join the opening teamfight for Mid and do my best to never get pried off mid if we win it. My Rev is an offensive leaning Jack of All Trades so I do a lot of contesting enemy points and killing people on them and can, in a pinch, lightly bunker our points. My Thief is a super high mobility glass cannon, so I decap Far as often as possible and +1 fights constantly and generally ask to not have to play defense (ie if I'm the only person guarding a point, I'll ask if someone else can take over for me because guarding points is not playing to my strengths).

I'm crap in 1v1s - I'm terrible at reading animations - but being in the right place at the right time is more important than being a sicknasty duelist. Having great mechanics means you have more opportunities to be in the right place and time, but you still have to find those opportunities. It's macro vs micro play (playing the map vs mechanics in a fight) and macro is way more important imo. If you want to get better at pvp, work on your game sense and positioning. Micro stuff comes with experience and with playing multiple classes (I've gotten much better at crushing every class I've learned to play, and the classes that consistently trip me up are all ones I don't know how to play).

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 7, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I have reversed my position on environmental weapons after doing scar lane several times. More scrap rifle type stuff please. Thing owns bones

Also in pvp I started doing a paladin shout Druid build, which is ridiculously tanky and does a fair amount of damage. I would highly recommend it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ItBurns posted:

The Fart

WHY DOES THIS ONE KEEP GETTING TO ME?! :lol:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thyrork posted:

WHY DOES THIS ONE KEEP GETTING TO ME?! :lol:

Did you know the dynamic colorful sunsets depicted in that portrait were the result of the Krakatoa fallout?

:eng101:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Dulfy kindly posted a summary of the AMA. It's huge. Here's some major things that caught my eye.

On WvW posted:

When we made the new borderlands we planned to be able to switch between it and the previous map, perhaps by round, or perhaps by ‘season’. But the tech to support that on-the-fly swap never worked; we kept thinking it shouldn’t be that hard, because we can redirect people to/from PVE and PVP maps with simple configuration changes. (One big problem is the overworld map can’t dynamically update). We didn’t mean to get into a place where there was only the new map but unfortunately we did.

On armor and outfits posted:

It take about ten times the dev effort to make an armor set as to make an outfit.

On the Living World posted:

Living World should come back around the time of the July quarterly update.

On dungeons posted:

We didn’t need to nerf dungeons like that. But we also don’t have a dungeons team to keep dungeons updates. So that’s the dilemma. We have no current plan to staff a dungeons team; no free developers to staff one with.

On fractals posted:

New fractals are still in early prototype state and won’t be ready for Q2.

On splitting skills in PvE and PvP posted:

We are not fully against skill splitting between the different game modes but it adds a lot of overhead to every balance and design decision. While it does give you another tool box it does lead to optimizing skills heavily for each game type which does make power creep.Its on the table and it’s something we may use in the future

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
rip, doomed to the poo poo map for eternity

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man nothing in that AMA feels like good news.

I suppose I can understand not having a dungeon team, but do you really need an entire team to restore the rewards to what they used to be?

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Yeah there doesn't really seem to be a dilemma here. Just return the gold reward.

I also don't understand the meaningful difference between dungeons and fractals beyond scaling level and agony resist (so I imagine it would be easier to make something without those). If you can make a new fractal you can make a new dungeon.

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 8, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would it really be a dungeon if it didn't have the grade A storytelling, voice acting and cutscenes the customers have come to expect of them though?

No No No, it wouldn't.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 8, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Yeah there doesn't really seem to be a dilemma here. Just return the gold reward.
Here's the part I don't get: wouldn't it actually take more effort to go out of your way to nerf dungeon rewards than it would take to just... leave them be and not touch them at all?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I kind of wish I'd thought to get involved in the AMA I've been meaning to ask for a long time if there is any plan to have a sort of 'good citizens' award or some cheevy system for when players are just super good sports to each other. Some way for a player to nominate that someone has been 'awesome' and points that tally up to give the person a little thanks reward.

I had someone actually mail me a named exotic when I whined about how long it was taking to kill a champ mob on my own, maybe they had a tonne of money but I kind of feel like this sort of off the cuff fun generosity should at least be acknowledged since it makes the game so much better. I've had others go out of their way to help my sorry dumb rear end and not ask for any kind of reward. I just kind of want a more official, useful to them way of saying 'cheers, you made my day!'.

Speaking of - so I can say thanks with a bit more oomph - what kinds of little items would you most appreciate if someone was to mail you a 'thanks!' - gold might get pinged but things like keys, kits etc? Are they much use to the mega-rich "dual wielding quip" types?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My crowning achievement

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I think that if they went back and refurbished an old dungeon or made new dungeons, it would bring more scrutiny to the neglected state they're currently in. There would be a lot of pressure to revamp, and that would take time, money, and staff pulled from other projects/new staff.

It's a lot easier to spend those resources on a separate project without those associations. Even if said project is pretty much just a dungeon by another name.

There's no excuse for letting the nerfed rewards sit there, though. Revert the gold bonus or increase the dungeon tokens earned, it can't be that difficult.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

If they brought back the rewards but forced everyone to do them without skipping mobs or stacking for bosses would you still do it? Of course not because dungeons are a long boring and easily exploitable mess that they would rather bury and replace with fractals which are at least built from the ground up to be more varied, better paced and a lot more foolproof.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress wrong thread

again

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 8, 2016

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Having to stop for every single trash pack in a dungeon probably wouldn't slow a lot of them down much. Rev axe 5 / guardian GS5 them into a pile, demolish, keep moving. Whatever.

Game mechanics outside of dungeon design makes stacking up better anyway, that longbow auto damage boost isn't going to make up for being out of range of Phalanx Strength and the Time Warp. And you can stack on pretty much every fractal boss anyway, the biggest exception being Mai Trin, who wasn't even originally a fractal encounter.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

jjac posted:

If they brought back the rewards but forced everyone to do them without skipping mobs or stacking for bosses would you still do it? Of course not because dungeons are a long boring and easily exploitable mess that they would rather bury and replace with fractals which are at least built from the ground up to be more varied, better paced and a lot more foolproof.

Eh, I'd still do them more than I do currently.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pesterchum posted:

Eh, I'd still do them more than I do currently.

yeah, they were at least something different. there's no excuse to completely lance their rewards and leave them dangling there like a dead limb.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

On splitting skills in PvE and PvP posted posted:

We are not fully against skill splitting between the different game modes but it adds a lot of overhead to every balance and design decision. While it does give you another tool box it does lead to optimizing skills heavily for each game type which does make power creep.Its on the table and it’s something we may use in the future

It should have been in since day 1. You can't balance skills against the bullshit tier PvE stuff and have them not completely be broken in PvP/WvW sorry. I feel like they should know this since well y'know Guild Wars 1 had skills splitting :/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it worked really well in guild wars 1, which kind of makes it even more baffling why they've been so against it up to this point.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Also then they could balance raids separately from pvp, which could potentially make balancing raids easier :ironicat:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

MooCowlian posted:

The simple answer is: reapers. They dictate team-fights on a level that other classes can't. Still, this is many times the incorrect target. The great thing about reapers is that they count on their secondary life bar for sustain. You can count on reapers to wait until they're just about to go down before popping it and any mesmer or engineer can totally invalidate that protection for an easy and unexpected kill. Moa works great on rampage, too.

The more complicated answer is: any target of opportunity that can quickly be brought down. This is often thieves, warriors, longbow rangers and dragon hunters. Just watch a team fight and see how health bars are moving, or just look for the person who seems to be edging around a fight. If a player is playing like they're squishy - they're probably squishy.

Something to keep in mind at low ELO/MMR is that most players wont call targets... They will, however, focus targets. So if you're calling targets, you might be surprised at how coordinated your team can be.

Keep all of that in mind and this could be you:

Edit: One more thing. If you or any other Goon is interested in competitive PvP, send Germany an in game mail and I'll invite you to Eurozone Danse Party, which is, of course, the premiere listing for Goon PvPers... Even after the vast majority of us went on hiatus in the middle of last season, because it was absolute garbage. A few of our better PvPers are just starting to dip their toes into this new season and I'm sure they'd be happy to play some games with you.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 8, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea the elite spec power creep makes fighting trash trivial, even the bosses just melt, last time I did AC before my computer exploded, I pugged it and there was one rev on the team I think they where all buddies cause they where popping fields left and right, I've never seen a legendary boss life go down that fast, it was like fighting a basic mob, I don't think he even got to spin.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
wow reading all that it feels like I bought the 100 dollar edition expansion to the wrong mmo, how's star citizen these days?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mizuti posted:

Dulfy kindly posted a summary of the AMA. It's huge. Here's some major things that caught my eye.

The outfit thing is just typical, and yeah the answers are sort of depressing.

So it takes more effort to make an armor set, this doesn't take rocket surgery to figure out, but maybe you shouldn't take that as an excuse to not make armor sets at all. There's zero customization (a thing people sometimes like to do) in outfits other than colors, perhaps make the 1 armor set instead of another 10 lovely and useless outfits occasionally anyway (I know I know, gems! no subscription!), maybe add some artists if you have so few this is an either/or thing. SMH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
In the "technical features" section of the AMA there is no positive news. The only feature of that section is stomping out the dreams of would be optimists.

Also Colin Johanson, the game's director is leaving.

Truly we are living in a golden age for this video game.

• Locked thread