Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Psion posted:

United post-Continental merger/buyout/whatever is terrible, O'Hare is .... well, usually also terrible, but I like it. I've never gotten weather-hosed at O'Hare like approximately everyone else who's ever flown through there, so that probably has something to do with it. And at least United owns the nice half of the airport.
ORD's unfucking its runway layout, which should help a lot during inclement weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jealous Cow posted:

I saw a guy change into PJs during boarding on a flight from JFK to Dublin.

The girl with him was way out of his league.

I usually wear shorts and a sweatshirt unless it's going to be stupid cold where I land. I flew from BWI to LAX a few weeks ago and it was like 50ish in Baltimore but in the 70s in LA so shorts it is! I get a lot of weird looks in our work travel lot (free shuttle to the airport) because everyone is wearing suits/business casual with a carry-on bag and I look like someone about to take a week long backpacking trip with my shorts and hiking backpack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Speaking of Airbus, yo dawg:

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

Speaking of Airbus, yo dawg:

They're so cute when they spawn.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

That's nothing. I saw someone board in PJs and slippers on ATL-NRT once.

Hey, you can't give people any poo poo about wearing comfortable clothes if they're spending over 8 hours in the air. That's an unwritten rule.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Jealous Cow posted:

I saw a guy change into PJs during boarding on a flight from JFK to Dublin.

The girl with him was way out of his league.

i wear pajamas during flights all the time. the shortest flight i have taken is 19 odd hours so ymmv.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

i wear pajamas during flights all the time. the shortest flight i have taken is 19 odd hours so ymmv.

Are you continually doing ATL to Joburg or Sydney to Dallas? Even those are only blocked at like 17 hours.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you continually doing ATL to Joburg or Sydney to Dallas? Even those are only blocked at like 17 hours.

the last flight i did was melb to london and the one before it was melb to minneapolis .
i dont fly domestically because i have a car and loving hate airports
in fact if i didnt have relatives across the world i wouldnt step foot in them.
my hating of airports means that i count the time spent doing stopovers part of the travel time.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There's no direct Melbourne-London route that I'm aware of. The 777-300ER could technically do it as one made an eastbound flight from HK to LHR which is 11.6k nm, but the longest scheduled passenger flights are currently around 17.5 hours and that would be ~21 hours.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Jealous Cow posted:

There's no direct Melbourne-London route that I'm aware of. The 777-300ER could technically do it as one made an eastbound flight from HK to LHR which is 11.6k nm, but the longest scheduled passenger flights are currently around 17.5 hours and that would be ~21 hours.

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

my hating of airports means that i count the time spent doing stopovers part of the travel time.

done it a bunch of times, via hk, singapore or malaysia

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, do any of you have good links on the Ayaks program?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I just did DFW-HKG and it took 16.5 hrs. I changed into my PJs after dinner and kept them on until shortly before landing. Had business class lie-flat so you best believe I wanted to be comfy. I'll be wearing them again on the return trip tomorrow. Nobody cares. First class even gets their own PJs onboard, so it's perfectly acceptable to do.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Speaking of B1's the other page, the US wants to station a few in Australia.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-08/long-range-bombers-could-rotate-through-nt-general-says/7231098

Also, Army has said they're looking to retire the Tiger helicopters by 2025. They have yet to be used in combat, unable to be used in Afghanistan the past few years.
http://warisboring.com/articles/australia-to-ditch-its-tiger-gunships-which-have-never-seen-combat/

quote:

Australia bought its Tiger ARH attack helicopters only eight years ago, and now it wants to scrap all 22 of them. Even more embarrassing, the Tiger has still not yet achieved “final operational capability” — meaning the helicopter never fully became ready for combat.

The decision to ditch the Tiger — to occur in the 2020s — landed with a thud with the release of Australia’s 2016 defense white paper, which laid out the country’s military strategy over the coming decades. The plan includes U.S. $21.5 billion in new spending, which would pay for new submarines, frigates, patrol vessels, aircraft and drones among many other big-ticket items.

But not the Tiger.

Yet Australia’s Tiger has never seen combat, despite $2 billion in costs to buy them and Canberra’s troops fighting heavily in Afghanistan for more than a decade. (Today, Australia has 400 troops there in an advisory role.) Keeping the Tiger at home was also an awkward decision, as German, French and Spanish Tiger variants deployed to Afghanistan at different times.

Not that Australia had much of a choice. There were delays with the helicopter’s software. Parts must be shipped to Europe for repair, a time-consuming and expensive process. Worst of all, the air conditioning units and power capacitors broke down and filled cockpits with toxic, black smoke.
During one incident, “the window was jammed shut after not being checked during pre-flight inspections so the crew was forced to take the risky step of blowing the canopy off to ventilate the cockpit,” the Australian reported in 2012.

Trust in the aircraft deteriorated so much, that pilots effectively mutinied in 2012 by refusing to fly. “Usually you have to fight to stop military pilots from flying,” a defense source told the newspaper.

Canberra wants to replace the Tiger with a lighter helicopter for commandos that can fit inside a C-17 transport plane — along the lines of the American MH-6 Little Bird. Plus more CH-47 Chinook transport birds for heavier lifting.

E: bonus gif & pics, RAAF C-17 delivering cargo to the Australian Antarctic Division for the first time this summer.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-20/royal-air-force-makes-final-flight-into-antarctica/7186248
http://i.imgur.com/8tI63ce.gifv

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The best part of the article is the sidebar with the looping video of the guy trying to casually toss his cricket bat and then failing to catch it over and over again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drunkill posted:

Speaking of B1's the other page, the US wants to station a few in Australia.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-08/long-range-bombers-could-rotate-through-nt-general-says/7231098

Also, Army has said they're looking to retire the Tiger helicopters by 2025. They have yet to be used in combat, unable to be used in Afghanistan the past few years.
http://warisboring.com/articles/australia-to-ditch-its-tiger-gunships-which-have-never-seen-combat/

It's NH90 fuckedupness in action.

The basic idea was good: one common helicopter model, so we get economies of scale and better interoperability. But then of course, the basic idea is thrown out the window as everyone wanted to add in their own custom options and make it get built at home, and so interoperability and economies of scale go bye-bye.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's funny how often that plan ends with that conclusion.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Life 1969: the race for the SST

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The article above that about the LEM is pretty awesome, too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Skies none too friendly on China's state airline
By MICHAEL ROSS | June 10, 1983

PEKING -- Some airlines boast of service and solicitous stewardesses, and others tout their modern fleets andreliability, but over at CAAC, China's state airline, the word is 'struggle hard.'

It is a slogan that sometimes applies more to the passengers than to the beleaguered airline.

Peking's diplomatic cocktail circuit abounds with travelers' tales - some funny, quite a few horrifying -- of the experiences suffered by those flying CAAC, the Civil Aviation Administration of China.

Among the stories in circulation is one told by a Western businessman who recently found himself on an overbooked domestic flight. He said the Chinese solved the problem by placing folding chairs in the aisle for the extra passengers.

The people who answer CAAC's phones are legendary for their discourtesy.

When a foreigner, speaking Chinese, called a CAAC office in Peking recently to find out if it was open, the person at the other end asked him why he wanted to know. The caller explained he wished to airfreight a package and repeated his question.

The CAAC employee said 'I don't know,' and hung up.

With at least two fatal crashes, one successful hijack and several attempted ones during the past year, CAAC's problems have become more serious.

The airline is under mounting criticism from Chinese as well as foreigners and there are signs a major management shakeup may be in the offing, starting with the anticipated resignation of CAAC's taciturn director-general, Shen Tu.

Shen was the target of criticism inside the Communist Party for a scandal that came to light after a fire swept through a CAAC plane landing in Canton Christmas Eve. Airport fire trucks were unable to fight the fire because their water tanks were empty.

By the time rescuers reached the plane, 23 people -- one third of those on board -- had died.

The leadership also is said to be displeased with CAAC's failure to institute adequate security measures following the attempted hijacking of a CAAC airliner last July.

Security equipment was upgraded afterwards, but CAAC staff did not appear to have been properly trained to use it.

Before boarding a recent flight from Chongqing to Peking, passengers had to undergo a body check by a guard using a hand-held metal detector. The detector routinely bleeped, indicating the hidden presence of metal objects, but the guard waved each passenger through without checking further.

The six Chinese who hijacked a CAAC jetliner to South Korea May 5 apparently had little trouble smuggling their weapons aboard.

Reliable sources say there have been at least four hijacking attempts in the past year, only one of which was discovered and thwarted before the plane took off.

China's response to the politically embarrassing May 5 incident has been to ban air travel by all Chinese except high-ranking officials and to increase the already formidable bureaucratic proceedures involved in buying airline tickets.

This has forced the cancellation of many flights, vaporized CAAC profits and provoked complaints by Chinese organizations for whom the new regulations have made business tougher at a time when China's reformist leaders expect them to be profitable and efficient.

CAAC responds to the criticism by admitting to 'shortcomings' but stressing it is trying to overcome them.

'Like other airlines, we too have a motto,' a CAAC official said recently. 'Our motto is Struggle Hard.'

Sometimes CAAC's struggle to please has the opposite effect of that intended.

Like the time when the cabin filled up with flies after a CAAC plane had been sitting on a hot runway in Canton.

When someone complained, the stewardess thoughtfully sprung into action -- and handed the passenger a fly swatter.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/06/10/Skies-none-too-friendly-on-Chinas-state-airline/4296424065600/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some coloured WW1 aviation related photos, mostly Australian in nature due to the guy who is making these, check out his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/coloursofyesterday

Major Syd Addison and Lieutenant Hudson Fysh, of No.1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, in a Bristol F2B Fighter aircraft at Mejdel, Palestine, probably 29 December 1917.

Both Addison and Fysh came from Tasmania, and while Addison was for a time commanding officer of No.1 Squadron, it would be Fysh who would leave a more permanent mark on Australian aviation. He served at Gallipoli and in the Palestine campaign as a lieutenant in the Australian Light Horse Brigade, before becoming an observer and gunner in the Australian Flying Corp. He was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross after the war for his services to aerial warfare.

In November 1920, he co-founded the Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited - QANTAS - which continues today as one of Australia's most recognised airlines. Fysh was knighted in 1953 for his contribution to international aviation, becoming a Knight-Commander of the Order of the British Empire. He died in 1974, aged seventy-nine.

Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial, B02040

---

The funeral and burial of Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen (The Red Baron) at Bertangles, Somme department in Picardie, on the 22 April 1918.

No. 3 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps' officers and other ranks formed the 'official' party - pallbearers, firing party, motor transport, funeral procession.

2237 Air Mechanic 2nd Class John A R Alexander, No. 3 Sqn AFC Private Record Collection PR86/133 (extract from personal diary)

quote:

".... he was buried that afternoon, Tuesday at 16.30. They obtained a coffin and it was engraved with the following inscription in plate for his coffin – 'Cavalry Captain Baron Von Richthofen aged 25 Killed in Aerial combat Sailley-le-Sec Somme France 21-4-18.'

There were three wreaths one from 5th Div HQ with German colors and the card read to a worth and valiant foe. Another wreath came from the Royal Air Force and one from our own 3rd Squadron each having the German colors.

We supplied a firing party of 25 men, he was given a full military funeral. Oh we had all the heads here – quite a dozen official reporters and a cinematographer from the War records Dept. Of course it seemed a down right shame that such a fuss should be made over an enemy airmen – no doubt he was brave man they all are, but unless they have proof that Germany treat our good pilots in a like manner I would be one to pass him by like they are known to treat our boys. On the morning of his fall Germany were sending out to the world news of his 80th victim but our men say he always fought fair – we stood to attention as 6 of our pilots carried him out to the car. He was buried at Bertangles a French Village but oh such a dirty forsaken hole."
Image courtesy of the Imperial War Museum, Q 10923
---

Balloon troops from a (Feldluftschiffer) unit prepare to raise their Parseval-Sigsfeld 'Drachen' balloon. c.1916

Australian troops watching an observation balloon being prepared for ascent above the Western Front. The two crew members in this balloon were at high risk of attack and given parachutes in case their craft was shot down. Photo credit: Diary extracts of Private Edwin Walkington 58th Battalion / Courtesy Juan Mahony
---

Captain Reginald George David Francis posing with A.4397 "Sylvia", one of No. 3 Squadron Australian Flying Corps' most well-known RE8 reconnaissance aircraft.
"Sylvia" set a record for the British forces on the Western Front by accumulating 440 hours of service flying and completing 147 flights across the line; the previous record was 427 hours service flying.
---

Major Wilfred McCloughry DFC, DSO, MC of No 4 Squadron Australian Flying Corps poses in front of the famous Sopwith Camel fighter aircraft.
As a member of the 9th Light Horse Regiment, he was wounded in action at Gallipoli on two occasions and eventually transferred to the AFC.

Photo credit: Lieutenant Francis Clive Conrick No 1 Squadron Australian Flying Corps / Courtesy Juan Mahony

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_McClaughry Later became Vice Air Marshal of the Royal Airforce in WWII.
---

An SE5a fighter scout, serial no. C9539, of C Flight, No. 2 Australian Squadron, involved in an accident at Savy Aerodrome, Pas de Calais region, France, during the German offensive, 25 March 1918.

A powerful factor in weakening the German thrust across the old Somme battlefield was the continuous bombing by British aircraft. Both Nos 2 and 4 Australian Squadrons were engaged in this, the machines bombing the enemy, returning for further bombs, and then returning to the Front again as fast as they could be loaded. No. 2 Squadron was at situated at Savy.
SE5a C9539 was flown by the Australian ace Captain Henry Garnet Forrest DFC of No 2 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps. The aircraft was credited with 12 victories in total, 11 of them being while Forrest was pilot between 22 March and 2 June 1918, making him the Squadron's fourth-highest ace.
Awarded the DFC in July 1918, his citation recorded:

quote:

'His leadership of patrols has been characterised by great dash and determination whether on high or low work. He has displayed skill in manoeuvring and boldness in attacking superior numbers.'

Seen here in this photograph taken by an unknown Australian Official Photographer are (left to right) Lieutenant G. R. E. Brettingham-Moore, Captain (Capt) R. W. McKenzie MC, Air Mechanic Second Class (2nd AM) A. Primrose, Sergeant P. F. Clemens, Corporal (Cpl) L. Dunnet, 2nd AM P. Gaffney, 2nd AM J. Matthews, 6 Cpl C. E. Wardell and Cpl W. B. Campbell MM.
It is believed Forrest was at the controls at the time of the accident, though the circumstances surrounding the incident are unknown. Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial, E01882
---

A German Zeppelin crewman poses in his leather flying suit and parachute harness.

A total of 115 Zeppelin-type airships was used by the German military in the First World War. The army and navy lost 53 airships and 379 highly trained officers and men, and 24 airships were so damaged they could not be used again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The solution to dronechat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFprHDhuhzc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We've spent all this time working on directed jamming beams and whatnot, when really the solution to drones was a Running Man-style net gun.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

drunkill posted:

Major Wilfred McCloughry DFC, DSO, MC of No 4 Squadron Australian Flying Corps poses in front of the famous Sopwith Camel fighter aircraft.

I recall reading that the Sopwith Camel used castor oil as an engine lubricant and was extremely leaky such that the pilot would be inhaling a castor oil aerosol vapor for his entire flight. Castor oil is used medically as a potent laxative.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

drunkill posted:

colorized photos

I see random stats, and even though I already know, it still amazes me how much aerial combat has evolved from WWI. A modern fighter crashing on landing (aside from a belly landing) is rarely going to be something the pilot walks away from if he rides it in. 11 aerial victories? That guy would be on the cover of the NY Times and the lead story on every national news show, but that guy was fourth in his own squadron. Hell, everyone's heard of Baron von Richtofen, the Red Baron. He scored 80 aerial victories before being killed in WWI, making him the war's ace of aces. The top American in WWI was Eddie Rickenbacker with 26. To contrast, the top ace in Vietnam was Nguyễn Văn Cốc with 9; top American in that war scored 6. It's likely the world's most recent ace came out of the Iran-Iraq war of the 80s and barring WWIII I don't see anyone else attaining the title anytime soon. The entire Desert Storm coalition, with it's thousands of aircraft, scored about half of the Red Baron's kills. The USAF managed four or five kills in Allied Force. I've only met one pilot from the modern era (Desert Storm+) with a kill. Bombing is even stranger. WWI bombing missions were usually flown by only a few bombers, with escorts providing protection for a limited amount of time. WWII saw hundreds or even thousands of bombers launched to destroy a single target; early in the war escorts were still limited in their ability to stick with the bombers, but by war's end they could maintain protection all the way to the target. Post-WWII, multirole fighters began dropping a large amount of tonnage. That still continues, but an actual strategic bombing mission would once again consist of small numbers of dedicated bombers. The big difference now is that each bomber is capable of accurately targeting dozens of individual locations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

The big difference now is that each bomber is capable of accurately targeting dozens of individual locations.

Or destroying multiple city's if we go for the apocalypse option.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

drunkill posted:

The funeral and burial of Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen (The Red Baron) at Bertangles, Somme department in Picardie, on the 22 April 1918.

I don't know why but I am fascinated there is some anonymous Asian guy in the burial service photo of the Red Baron in WW1 Belgium.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 10, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Who do you think dug the whole? Sure as hell wasn't the officer corps.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Crossposted with aviation thread.

Bitchin' Betty retires!!!!

Watch the video, she's a cool gal.

http://allthingsaero.com/military-aviation/video-bitchin-betty-says-goodbye

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Godholio posted:

Who do you think dug the whole? Sure as hell wasn't the officer corps.

I would just assume general enlisted men or POWs. Did they bring Asian servants with them or something?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

I would just assume general enlisted men or POWs. Did they bring Asian servants with them or something?

Germany had Asian and Chinese colonies. They were pretty small but the burn rate on manpower in the war meant that racism just wasn't going to work. (Until after the war was over)

He doesn't have to be a servant, is all I am saying.

India sent 1.5 million men to Europe. There were absolutely Africans in the trenches as well.

Edit:

Upon further reading.... Nope! He probably dug the hole.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 10, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Murgos posted:

I recall reading that the Sopwith Camel used castor oil as an engine lubricant and was extremely leaky such that the pilot would be inhaling a castor oil aerosol vapor for his entire flight. Castor oil is used medically as a potent laxative.

Not so much "leaky engine" as "total loss oiling system." Oil was fed into the crankcase and blown back out after use, right into the pilot's face. The pretty white silk scarves were to clean oil off your goggles.

And yes, castor oil was used in most of those old engines for its heat resistance.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Sagebrush posted:

Not so much "leaky engine" as "total loss oiling system." Oil was fed into the crankcase and blown back out after use, right into the pilot's face. The pretty white silk scarves were to clean oil off your goggles.

And yes, castor oil was used in most of those old engines for its heat resistance.

Might have made a good excuse for making GBS threads yourself too!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

slidebite posted:

If anyone is interested, there are a few videos of that old PWA 737 being ferried from the now closed Edmonton City Center (permanently closed next day) to a small airport a few miles away. Only laid up for around 9 years so not as cool as the old 727, but I thought it was pretty nifty.

https://youtu.be/obZis1TFGVE

http://globalnews.ca/news/999859/737-takes-off-from-city-centre-airport-lands-safely-at-new-home/

Is that the one still stuck in the grass field at Villeneuve?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That would be it, but I had no idea they towed it through some farmers field LOL. Good thing they put that time and effort into saving it just to let it rot and undoubtedly get vandalized.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

slidebite posted:

I don't know why but I am fascinated there is some anonymous Asian guy in the burial service photo of the Red Baron in WW1 Belgium.

He's probably Vietnamese since they are around the French border. Over 92,000 Vietnamese served for France in some capacity during the war.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That makes sense thanks!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Or you could... you know.. just wait for it to land?

No way this guy is getting out there fast enough even if the person is remaining in a stationary hover.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Those guys are going to be really bummed when someone tells them about shotguns.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Those guys are going to be really bummed when someone tells them about shotguns.

Drones are very resilient to shotguns. Unless you get a direct hit on a prop or one of the tiny motors, it'll keep flying. Dan Bilzerian had a video a while back of a couple guys with a shitload of guns trying to shoot one down, you'd be amazed how resilient they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Barnsy posted:

Drones are very resilient to shotguns. Unless you get a direct hit on a prop or one of the tiny motors, it'll keep flying. Dan Bilzerian had a video a while back of a couple guys with a shitload of guns trying to shoot one down, you'd be amazed how resilient they are.

Not a quad copter or the video youre talking about but proves that point: Starts at 1 minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP33crds1tI