Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mushroom_spore posted:

Citan: "We're at a crucial time in the game's development in a lot of ways, and banning a couple dozen players right now is a huge blow. But flooding the game with thousands of magical items is also a huge blow to our ability to make the game better."

The item wipe is in all likelihood a very long way off, and flooding the game with tons of extra items/wealth/favor from lots of players spending hours exploiting has a ripple effect in the meantime. The game's development also does kind of rely on the playerbase being good responsible testers and reporting bugs and moving on, not using cheat codes to give themselves tons of extra free poo poo because they were mad at the devs that day and therefore should get a free pass. Come on, now.

EDIT: Also from Citan's post. "After some discussion, we realized that we have been way too lenient in the past with serious exploits like this. That can't keep happening."

Not a lot is going to 'keep happening' at all at this rate though, which is sad considering how cool of a game this is and has the potential to be.

Wait until Citan has to deal with the 'general gaming public.' If he's going to have an armageddon meltdown over this knucklehead poo poo in the alpha/test thing, I dunno what he's gonna do then.

Anyway, if you or Citan or anyone else can explain to me how what I did affected the game in any meaningful way, much less affected their ability to make it better, then fair cop. If not, I dunno what exactly you're trying to get over on me by quoting that.

Tons of extra items? No. Melted em all or tossed em and they decayed. Nobody can hold that much poo poo anyway.
Tons of extra favor? Like 5k gold worth of favor with 1 npc, another 5k gold worth stored up for another NPC? Nope. I had work orders i could have done in the same period of time and made more money than that.
Wealth? Nope. Still broke after leveling a bunch of trade skills since the combat had gotten so piss poor it was the only thing to do.

And lets be honest, the game already has a pretty robust system to limit how much money/etc a person can get in a given period of time. To wit: storage space and npc funds. So it's not exactly possible to wreck the game's economy in a day. Even if you wanted to. Which if anyone had, they'd have started spamming the global chat about the boxes with, instead of loving around for 20 minutes and reporting it.

It comes down to 'responsible testers' 'trust' and 'betrayal.' Which is a really bad, personal meltdown kind of poo poo for it to come down to.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Man, the surge of interest this past week tempted me to jump back in with my character, Elrond Hubbard, but if it's gotten that bad, I guess I'll hold off in hopes that things improve again.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
It seems fine to me and I am still quite enjoying it and I would still certainly recommend that people jump in. That said, I'm a lower-level noob that hasn't maxed jack poo poo.

In terms of the banning of players that looted the chests - I don't blame the dev for doing it, though I do think that he went overboard on the ban length. A couple weeks and the removal of items acquired since the patch would have been more than sufficient. Ideally it would have been simply a removal of items and a statement on his re-invigorated 'no tolerance' policy. But that's just the feelings of an outsider on the incident.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Citan was in global chat for a while tonight talking to people. At least one of the banned people are already back on playing as alts and talking with him. Someone went so far as to loot the same chest over 500 times. Several of those banned passed the loot off to alts or other accounts. The only way to remove the items would have been a rollback and he didn't want to punish the rest of the players.

I still think the game is fun.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Considering favor is permanent and these items and the implications of this on the market is continuing until item wipe right near launch, I can't say the bans are unjustified. That being said, max cap is like 70 right? I believe it's going to be 125 at launch.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Considering favor is permanent and these items and the implications of this on the market is continuing until item wipe right near launch, I can't say the bans are unjustified. That being said, max cap is like 70 right? I believe it's going to be 125 at launch.

yeah favor has a fixed cost that is pretty trivial in the long run. believe me, if you think about it, you'll be able to say 'yeah wow, the bans were unjustified'

I've been on my mule for the past couple hours talking to people.

McBreezy, who does serious experiment stuff to document for the wiki, turned off global chat and isn't going to participate anymore after seeing some of the morons.

kugo thinks they banned us for disagreeing with their changes to the combat system and just used this as an excuse, he's one of the most veteran players/crafters. I offered him all my hoarded crafting mats and he said no thanks, doesn't see himself playing much in the future.

khaylara quit over it, another much liked player that's been around forever.

the consensus among redditors and brand new folks is 'lol shouldnt hav exploided i guess lol'

the real people aren't happy at all about it. this game used to have a really nice little community and it doesn't anymore after today.

"some of our longest tenured players took advantage of the obvious error and it really strikes a nerve that they would do something like that." - self absorbed rear end in a top hat

"This is a wake up call, all right." - spiteful prick

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you didn't think you'd get banned for it you're deluded or just stupid, Falcor got banned for a week or so over some trivial ice damage bug. The bans are harsh and IMO stupid but the people who got banned knew what they were in for, so it's not like they can go 'oh well I had no idea, please unban me I'm sorry' because if they didn't get banned they'd just sit on their mountain of rares and laugh

Khaylara's kind of a whiny baby, they'll be back

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

hakimashou posted:

I've been on my mule for the past couple hours talking to people.

By the time I went to bed, you had been playing on your Slave alt arguing with the dev for the first hour and then stayed logged in making GBS threads up global chat about how hurt you were for at least the next 5. If you think about it from their point of view I'm pretty sure they feel the same way.

At one point I saw you say how much fun you've had in the game over the last year and couldn't decide if you should take "the high road and accept it or ask for your $25 back from kickstarter."

There isn't a high road for you. Accept the consequences. You've certainly gotten your money's worth out of it. Trying to get your money back now is petty.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

By the time I went to bed, you had been playing on your Slave alt arguing with the dev for the first hour and then stayed logged in making GBS threads up global chat about how hurt you were for at least the next 5.

I don't know what's more ridiculous, this or the banned player on the PG forums right now (via alt account) claiming they had no idea you could be punished for cheating in an MMO.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Oh is there anything goons won't get comically retarded over? :allears:

Man you hosed up and crying about how you've been around forever doesn't mean poo poo. If you're such a caring lifetime fan then don't cheat at something you like. poo poo if you're idea of a happy little community is one that throws a collective trantrum over being called out then that is a well deserved dismantling. That kind of community is definitely not the one a game needs as its "real core."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Inimicul posted:

By the time I went to bed, you had been playing on your Slave alt arguing with the dev for the first hour and then stayed logged in making GBS threads up global chat about how hurt you were for at least the next 5. If you think about it from their point of view I'm pretty sure they feel the same way.

At one point I saw you say how much fun you've had in the game over the last year and couldn't decide if you should take "the high road and accept it or ask for your $25 back from kickstarter."

There isn't a high road for you. Accept the consequences. You've certainly gotten your money's worth out of it. Trying to get your money back now is petty.

I wasn't on when the dev was on.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I get home tonight and I'm not able to log in. I can't even get the web page to load. I wonder if someone got so upset they're pulling some DDOS crap.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
PG was also having some kind of problem with the server or datacenter or some voodoo like that last month too, so could also be that.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Could be. I looked up their social media stuff and saw nothing new. I went and refreshed the page and it finally loaded. #FuckComcast

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Any recommendations on a "build" I find this a hard part since the game is gear dependent.

I'm fire magic and mentalism, people say go fire/staff but i did that till 40/40 and i never had decent loot and no power ever. fire/necro sounds boring and I dont wanna have a pet really so not sure what to go for.

Suggestions? I do have a 20/20 ua and pysch so I was avoiding those.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
fire/staff with mycology for power cause fire magic burns it hard dude. staff gives you a 10 second mostly-invulnerability shield, and there's mods that give you power when you use it.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Rolling Battle Chem/Animal handling, at 22/24 with it

Good for having a pet tank and then doing AOE stuff yourself, but I'm mostly just trying to grind them both up.

Hardest part is leveling the loving pet up. My Rat is only lvl 12 and dies super fast to crap that I can take solo with my golem and item-burn buffs for my AOE bombs. But takes forever to level killing skelemans

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
at level 20 AH you can tame a cat, try to tame a boss mob called Old Fangsworth or else just a fey panther

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Fey Panther Groupies are fine pets. They heal you for 20 points every once in a while. Not terribly impressive, but they tank pretty well. Better than rats, at least. If you find gear that gives your pets health and armor, definitely use those. It makes a significant difference.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I love my panther. The DPS on these things is crazy.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
It seems that the dev is tidying up a 'south seribule' zone which caters towards newbies in time for the Steam release. It may be almost time to start taking it a little bit seriously.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Today there's a 25% xp bonus on kills and crafting. Time to finally finish unarmed. Maybe even tailoring?

Edit: Also, apparently open world pvp is going on too.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Some news worth reposting:

Citan posted:

Hi guys, the update is slowly but steadily coming! (Probably another week.) It's a big one. And it has many gear changes, as well as some skill and monster changes. I know those can be very tough on you guys, especially high-level players, so I've been looking for ways to make it a little easier to revise your character. What we'll do in the next update is give you unlimited Transmutation rolls for a limited time. So, basically, if you decide your hammer sucks after the update, and you have a lot of phlogiston, you'll be able to re-roll the hammer as often as needed. We'll do unlimited re-rolls for a week or so. I'm not sure if this will be a thing we do more than once, but we'll see how it goes. I mention it now so that you can save up phlogiston if you want to.

Edit: there are a couple of other changes to Transmutation after the update, too: transmutation consumes a bit more phlogiston than it did before, but you can no longer get repeated downgrade "cascades" that cause your item to become junk.

Excited about the update, it's finally starting to come together and I think you'll enjoy it.

and

Citan posted:

There will be at least a few more game updates before we put the game on Steam. In fact, at this point I'm expecting we'll need a month or more before the game is Steam-ready. That's in part because we're behind schedule, and in part because I want to do some more things than expected before the game launches on Steam. And then I want to let everything settle and make sure there aren't big annoying issues looming before we push the button.

You are correct that we aren't wiping anything when the game goes into Steam Early Access.

Could this mean the steam early access is coming in a month or more?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/GorgonMMO/status/705804171572809728

Launcher says update tomorrow

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
With a whole new area, new sound track, gear/mod changes, and what looks like samurai armor, there's a ton in this update. He's been pretty tight lipped about what all is in it so I'm really looking forward to it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
While I understand the budget limitations, the usage of asset packs is a bit disconcerting. I mean, I use some of the same asset packs in my game, but I'm at least making an active effort to use consistent styles and quality. The difference between the Big Environment Packs and Manufactura K4's stuff is jarring to say the least.

K4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZyXcORADCc
Big Environment Pack 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBvw3b6L7I

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I think the big asset packs are a step in the right direction. At least for place holders until he gets a proper level designer. Every time I load into Kur Mountains I have to remind myself it's just temporary. His last zone was the desert and it feels all sorts of empty and unfinished. Hell, on the way to fight Lomas you're jumping across floating platforms Mario style.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, clashing asset packs are jarring but way better than what he was working with originally.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The sheer number of gold spammers that have cropped up in the last week or so has been aggravating. It used to be the same web site all the time so I would make jokes about it. Now there are two and they try to out spam each other.

It's hard to imagine someone dumb enough to buy gold for an alpha. Especially when it will be wiped.

What's the best anti spammer technique you guys have seen in other games?

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Inimicul posted:

The sheer number of gold spammers that have cropped up in the last week or so has been aggravating. It used to be the same web site all the time so I would make jokes about it. Now there are two and they try to out spam each other.

It's hard to imagine someone dumb enough to buy gold for an alpha. Especially when it will be wiped.

What's the best anti spammer technique you guys have seen in other games?

It's sort of a mark of success that this game is now popular enough to have two gold sellers/spammers. The economy is alive!

The only sure solution is to make items untradable but no one like that solution.

Another halfway solution is something like eve's buy-game-time-with-real-currency-from-players which makes independent gold sites (the ones that employ spammers) not as worth it. There's still real money trading but the spammers are less common.

it'll be interesting to see what the dev dude comes up with.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
This game reminds me of Runes of Magic only better in a way I can't quite explain.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I've tried to get into this game a few times and the difficulty from level 1-15 starting out has always made me stop, but today I just made a break for the druid shrine at level 5 sword or something and have been leveling druid since then. It is a lot more enjoyable (only 11 so far) and seems pretty versatile. I'm usually around in the mornings if any other goons are doing stuff around that level (Blurtet is my name).

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Since you can't friend someone without being able to click on them and my memory sucks, hit P and put <GS> in the about field so you show up as a goon in /who

So I've made it to 25ish as druid/psych and the game just feels like it's really dropping off. Leveling seems super slow and the story seems to have disappeared once I killed goblins in eltibule. I've been leveling in the serbule crypt and mushroom dungeons, am I supposed to just be grinding in those until 35ish then go to goblins?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The story does kind of peter out there. The rest of the NPCs you encounter all have their own things going on but nothing like a story arc. At 25 you may be better off in Crypt or random open world mobs around Eltibule or Sun Vale. Personal preference, mostly.

How are you liking Druid / Psych? Sounds like a full blown healer build.

Inimicul posted:

The story does kind of peter out there. The rest of the NPCs you encounter all have their own things going on but nothing like a story arc. At 25 you may be better off in Crypt or random open world mobs around Eltibule or Sun Vale. Personal preference, mostly.

How are you liking Druid / Psych? Sounds like a full blown healer build.

Thanks for the advice, I think one of the reasons that leveling was so slow was because I was druid/psych. My damage was really lacking and I struggled to outdamage the regen of the slimes in that dungeon under the hand. Right now I'm trying druid/necro and rotskin seems like it really benefits the pets. What other combos might be good to bulk up my damage a bit? Mentalism? It seems I see a lot more necros than animal handlers, but that also sounded fun.

Ort fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 16, 2016

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Animal Handling supposedly needs some work, but I think at least some of the difference in popularity is probably due to the fact that more people think undead are cool than rats and cats. (Though those grimalkins are cool as hell.)

Mentalism isn't the mass damage engine it used to be when it was completely broken, or at least it's not supposed to be. It's mainly a support skill like Psych but with different strengths. :eng101: I do have a couple of the zappy abilities on my bar, but that's because spider has very little in the way of ranged damage and my gear turns one of the Ment zaps into a stun. If mentalism support AOEs work on the undead that's automatically a very good combo though, anything with multiple pets (like spider) gets a lot of benefit out of that (and Pain Bubble).

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I'm having more fun with this than I expected to!

My biggest complaint so far is the sound engine seems really off. Things that are at maximum range for me hearing them are as loud as things right next to me. It's really disorienting.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Just popping in to say this looks like a fun game and I'm going to wait for it to be in steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You may have a looooong wait ahead of you.