Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I think there was Alchemical Failsafe as well?

This one was for everyone, not just Warforged. It's a waist-slot item that you stick an alchemical item in, and then fire it by using your second wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does that mean I can make a build where by using my second wind, I heal myself so hard that I explode?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Really Pants posted:

This one was for everyone, not just Warforged. It's a waist-slot item that you stick an alchemical item in, and then fire it by using your second wind.

There definitely was a Warforged specific thing for alchemical items or potions, but I can't remember what it was in that case.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

There definitely was a Warforged specific thing for alchemical items or potions, but I can't remember what it was in that case.

Alchemical Defense Nodes, an armor. I forget what it did; something like eating an alchemical item for elemental resistance?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
There's also the alchemical atomizer, a hands slot item that lets you quickly apply things like alchemical silver to your weapon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

djw175 posted:

There's also the alchemical atomizer, a hands slot item that lets you quickly apply things like alchemical silver to your weapon.

Which makes me sad that they never updated the Alchemy sword from 3.5 to 4e, that thing was ridiculous.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Ugh. My GM is forcing us to switch to FFd6 vanilla specifically because they find our defender being able to constantly throw out prones 'Unheroic' and it's killing my enthusiasm for the game.

There might be a better thread for this kind of thing, but I don't know of it and this is pissing me off pretty hard.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Eopia posted:

Ugh. My GM is forcing us to switch to FFd6 vanilla specifically because they find our defender being able to constantly throw out prones 'Unheroic' and it's killing my enthusiasm for the game.

There might be a better thread for this kind of thing, but I don't know of it and this is pissing me off pretty hard.

If prones are ruining the game, he's gonna be real sad when the wizard gets going...

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Generic Octopus posted:

If prones are ruining the game, he's gonna be real sad when the wizard gets going...

For some reason he doesn't seem to have issues with other control abilities, but proning dragons? Inexcusable.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You should let your DM know that at-will proning is totally Heroic. Just wait until Paragon when it becomes mass-prone-slide and threatening reach comes into play for polearm builders.

Oh, he means it's "unheroic" in the some vague tummy-feel sense? I can't help you there. I can't think of anything more heroic than knocking a motherfucker down for trying to threaten my bros. Heroic Tier in 4e is just that, you are HEROIC. Like, as in Heroes of Myth and Legend. At level 3, the party I DM for annihilated an Orc Army and sent their Gnoll leader running for the hills within three rounds. The four of them held off a fortress siege of 13 enemies (admittedly 12 were Minions, but they were orcs with free attacks upon 0 HP). This made them feel great and heroic. As a DM that makes me feel great. I made a challenging encounter, and my players met the challenge and then some while still having a good time.

My advice? If you don't like the new game, let the DM know. If you guys have irreconcilable differences that just can't be worked out? Guess you're going to have to find a new group. I eventually dropped out of my buddy's game after he switched from 4 to 5, and now I DM my own game of 4e. And let me tell you, running 4e is a dream. It's incredibly simple to use, easy to adjust monsters, traps, and hazards for encounters, and has easy to follow guidelines for skill checks. And most of all it's fun to play even on the other side of the screen. I have MM3, Dark Sun Creature Catalog, and both Monster Vaults , and I haven't had a single monster that disappointed me or didn't have anything interesting to do.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm not exactly going to quit the game over this, I'm just not happy with the decision. I'll stick with it because we're friends and hopefully the game will still be fun despite the change.

Really I think it's a shame because they've consistently shown, with a standout today, that they can make interesting and fun encounters with their own unique mechanics that don't feel unfair.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 2, 2016

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buddy if your heroes don't slam motherfuckers to the ground every chance they got then you got some poo poo heroes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Eopia posted:

You should tell him you won't play any more, then. No roleplaying is better than terrible roleplaying, and FFd6 is not good.

e; I mean, you could probably also redo your character to not focus on proning if it bugs him that much, there are other things Defenders can do. If he's just looking for an excuse to switch to a poo poo system from a good one, though, just sever.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 2, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Reducing enemy mobility by knocking them the gently caress down so that they can't walk over to munch on the Wizard is kind of what a defender does.

What the hell does he expect you to do, track aggro levels and spam Taunt?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If he's upset you're giving his important monsters ignoble conditions, I don't think 4e is the system for him.

...and I don't think FFd6 is the game for you (or anyone)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This kind of thing is quite prevalent in 4e and is yet another case of 'please refluff."

Like if an enemy goes 'prone' to avoid incoming fire, they're dropping to their bellies to make a smaller target.

If a fighter knocks a dragon 'prone', it hasn't literally fallen on its rear end (or maybe it has, depending on the tone of your game). It just means the Fighter has knocked him off balance. It's a little bit more difficult to reconcile the ranged penalty of 'prone' under this circumstance but I usually just posit that the Fighter is in the way or something.

'Prone' is shorthand for a variety of different status effects in the same way that 'Daze' isn't literally the same effect when it comes from a thrown rock or a psychic blast even if the mechanical shorthand is the same.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
*-~keywords~-*

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of my players had a lot of trouble with that concept. Like, he's fine refluffing one race as another or pretending that a magic belt is really just someone's innate abilities or whatever, but putting a construct to sleep? Hoo boy that one took a while to explain.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Crotch posted:

One of my players had a lot of trouble with that concept. Like, he's fine refluffing one race as another or pretending that a magic belt is really just someone's innate abilities or whatever, but putting a construct to sleep? Hoo boy that one took a while to explain.

Easier to swallow from a video game perspective, where "you stun the slime with a kidney shot" is just a thing that happens

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

One of my DMs almost over fluffs things in combat. Which is great and I'd never want to change, but it does lead to some "ok am I ACTUALLY Grabbed, or"

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Hey, not sure if there's a better thread to post this in, but figured some of you may be interested:

Humble Bundle have a deal on Pathfinder books and boxes. Check them out if you're at all interested: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paizo-pathfinder-bundle

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Noxin of Shame posted:

Hey, not sure if there's a better thread to post this in, but figured some of you may be interested:

Pretty much any thread that isn't this one would have been a better thread to post that in. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 3, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Appreciate the thought, though! :shobon:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not gonna lie, I was considering it for a buck just to have a look at the rules and stuff, but then I remembered there are SRD.

And also I played 3.5 for years so I know them, heh :smug:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

~*sounds of hissing and scratching of claws*~

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It would be a lot of easily-accessed art for Roll20 tokens. Still Pathfinder, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Googling "[monster name] pathfinder" has never failed me. It does have good art.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

My Lovely Horse posted:

Googling "[monster name] pathfinder" has never failed me. It does have good art.

Counterpoint: Whatever the gently caress this thing is.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Wayne Reynolds kinda reminds me of the 2000s version of 90s Rob Liefeld*: back in their day, everybody loved them. Now, we look back and wonder what the gently caress we were thinking.

* they even both have a huge boner for adding tons of superfluous gear on all of their characters :v:

Fake edit: and they both also seemingly have no idea how to draw a female form.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Some things Wayne Reynolds does well... it's just the things he does wrong he does very wrong.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wayne Reynolds is great if your primary form of sexual gratification is belts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like his non human art. He's done a couple really nice MtG cards and has a nice grasp of color, but human anatomy or any pose but "person taking step towards the camera" seem to be beyond him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anyone know of three monsters that would have good teamwork in the range of level 8-10? Area attacks would be a bonus. Wanna use some myconids and make them a "more than the sum of their parts" deal. The existing ones are kind of bland and from MM2 and too low level (okay, that one's easily fixed, but in my experience if you level monsters up that much their power mechanics don't hold up that well).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What really is the big advantage of the Dancing weapon? Its power is it hovers and you can attack with it, but it hovers in your square and you use it like you would any normal weapon action-wise so it seems like an entirely cosmetic effect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You've got a hand free, for one, and it attacks on its own if you don't use it on your turn - say, because you attacked with another weapon. At range, even. So you basically spend that minor action to sustain for an additional attack each turn, and additional attacks are always good, although it only really pays off if you have a good MBA.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Dancing Weapons make MBAs within 2 squares of you if you don't attack with them, which means you make it dance then grab another weapon and attack with that.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The key bit is this: "If you do not attack with a dancing weapon before the end of your turn, it makes a melee basic attack against an enemy of your choice within 2 squares of you as if you were wielding it."

So activate it and then draw your other weapon(s) and you're good to go.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Does this mean you could in theory buy multiple Dancing weapons and have a small squad of MBA-inflicting weapons following you around? I mean obviously it'd severely cut into your budget, but assuming your MBA is pretty baller, it seems like a fun and doofy idea.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sure, but it's a Sustain Minor power and it only autoattacks within 2 squares. At most you're getting 3 attacks but you'd be immobile and enemies could just give you a berth. Congratulations, you're a controller's zone now. Or you could walk around with two of them which if your MBA is good enough (hello Essentials!) might even be sort of worth it as a gimmick idea. Might be fun to explore this more if you throw a leader that grants extra attacks and/or movement into the mix...

(Actually, can you sustain multiple powers at once? Not sure just now.)

(It's also a Daily item power to begin with.)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
The Greater Dancing Weapon from MME doesn't require an action to sustain it and is at-will, plus has an at-will ability to make basic attacks as an OA against anyone who provokes an OA while adjacent to it. It's not a true OA so things like Combat Superiority won't apply, but stuff like Lashing Flail/Dragging Flail will.