Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jose posted:

I can't remember but is it the case that one for all can pass on any quirks and its most likely the situation that everyone has been quirkless so its just super strength?

One For All is a single quirk formed out of a mutation that combines AFO's brother's "Pass On This Quirk" quirk and the "Stockpile Power" quirk he was given. We don't know anything about All Might's predecessors, but when he's explaining OFA's origins to Midoriya he mentions what would happen if he had given it to Todoroki, which implies that a previous user of OFA has had their own quirk that didn't get absorbed into OFA. If only quirkless people had ever used OFA, then All Might would've had no idea how it would interact with another quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

One For All is a single quirk formed out of a mutation that combines AFO's brother's "Pass On This Quirk" quirk and the "Stockpile Power" quirk he was given. We don't know anything about All Might's predecessors, but when he's explaining OFA's origins to Midoriya he mentions what would happen if he had given it to Todoroki, which implies that a previous user of OFA has had their own quirk that didn't get absorbed into OFA. If only quirkless people had ever used OFA, then All Might would've had no idea how it would interact with another quirk.

It's a little ambiguous as to what that Stockpile Power quirk really does. I think what it does is just make the bearer get slowly physically stronger over time, but due to being passed down for a few generations it's gotten very, very powerful. Whether OFA can pass down a quirk other than itself is ambiguous, since all the people we've known to have had it passed onto them (All Might and Deku) have been quirkless. If one of the previous users already had a quirk it hasn't been passed down along with OFA, but it's very likely it's never actually been passed down to someone with a quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Slime posted:

To the general public who don't know how OFA works, Deku just has a similar quirk to All Might, and could be related to him genetically. Lots of people have similar quirks, like those two guys who can harden their skin. Even among those who know OFA can be passed on, the strength and speed it grants are traits shared by plenty of other quirks so it can probably be quite hard to tell that it is in fact OFA.

On a slight tangent, does All For One straight up steal powers or does it copy them? If it copies them, I'd guess that he got the ability to give people quirks by copying it from his brother.
I dunno, even Todoroki twigged that Midoriya's "aura" or "spiritual pressure" or whatever when he uses his power feels exactly like All Might's; the other students think he's just got a weird version of super-strength and that All Might dotes on him because they're similar.

If AFO knows the real story, the kid with the obscene super-strength quirk who so happens to show up when All Might goes to UA to teach should probably set off all sorts of red flags. If he know One For All exists, killing the current vessel should be #1 on his priority list.

I mean, how else could you hurt All Might the most?

I just wonder if or when the rest of the class will discover his secret.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's also possible one dude who had OfA had Super Strength, which gave the stockpiling quirk a quick boost but didn't result in Deku's powerset being a rando mishmash of stuff like Super Strong, can fly, shoots lasers from eyes, etc.

Fabricated posted:

If AFO knows the real story, the kid with the obscene super-strength quirk who so happens to show up when All Might goes to UA to teach should probably set off all sorts of red flags. If he know One For All exists, killing the current vessel should be #1 on his priority list.

For a guy whose power is to steal powers? To just kill the person who has the power that almost killed him, All for One, the most powerful dude in the world? A power that he had and gave away? While the user is in his infancy and not really a threat? No loving way. He's gonna take that power back.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 7, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Gran Torino said All Might has his own quirk. Which is why he was giving Deku bad training advice, he didn't understand the psychology of going from quirkless to quirk.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gyges posted:

Gran Torino said All Might has his own quirk. Which is why he was giving Deku bad training advice, he didn't understand the psychology of going from quirkless to quirk.

All Might himself said he was quirkless.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Gyges posted:

The dude below you is right, All Might was quirkless.

What All Might WAS was super loving ripped or something and able to handle One For All the second he got it, which Deku definitely wasn't. Torino said something like 'All Might instinctively knew how to master this quirk with no effort', or something.

Essentially All Might was the Standard Shonen Protagonist who was just a genius as it and Deku has to actually work for.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Stallion Cabana posted:

The dude below you is right, All Might was quirkless.

What All Might WAS was super loving ripped or something and able to handle One For All the second he got it, which Deku definitely wasn't. Torino said something like 'All Might instinctively knew how to master this quirk with no effort', or something.

Essentially All Might was the Standard Shonen Protagonist who was just a genius as it and Deku has to actually work for.

I was under the impression that All Might's quirk was his super buff form. He can change to that at will, which makes him more muscular but doesn't actually give him his super strength, that's from OfA.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Raposa posted:

I was under the impression that All Might's quirk was his super buff form. He can change to that at will, which makes him more muscular but doesn't actually give him his super strength, that's from OfA.

No, the super-buff appearance is his normal form. He looks like a stick figure right now because of all the surgeries he's had. When he needs to, he can activate One For All and use it to swagger and make his muscles look like they used to...I guess.

He doesn't have his own Quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's also possible one dude who had OfA had Super Strength, which gave the stockpiling quirk a quick boost but didn't result in Deku's powerset being a rando mishmash of stuff like Super Strong, can fly, shoots lasers from eyes, etc.

For a guy whose power is to steal powers? To just kill the person who has the power that almost killed him, All for One, the most powerful dude in the world? A power that he had and gave away? While the user is in his infancy and not really a threat? No loving way. He's gonna take that power back.
Eh, there's a whole world of people with cool quirks to steal, including other variants of super strength. Yeah One For All is probably the best one but better to nip the problem in the bud.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Fabricated posted:

Eh, there's a whole world of people with cool quirks to steal, including other variants of super strength. Yeah One For All is probably the best one but better to nip the problem in the bud.

Yeah but he's a villain in a comic book. Villains in comic books are always petty and prone to holding grudges. While technically taking Sugar's Quirk or Muscle's quirk or w/e would give him a level of Super Strength, it wouldn't be the same because it's not One For All, thus it doesn't 'count'.

It's like why Doctor Doom is always yelling about Richards despite being one of the smartest scientist wizard engineer statesmen in the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He knows 14a exists, but he might not necessarily know how it works. It gets stronger with each generation, and a previous generation was able to cripple him for years. Considering that a41 might well never die of old age, taking care of 14a as soon as he was able would be incredibly important. However, if he does not know that it gets stronger over time then he probably doesn't really care since he is also presumably stronger now.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Doctor Doom is the second best at everything. Now, technically, being second best at everything makes you the single most talented human being alive, but being not quite as good just will not loving stand you hear me?!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Doctor Doom is the second best at everything. Now, technically, being second best at everything makes you the single most talented human being alive, but being not quite as good just will not loving stand you hear me?!

I'm imagining Rohan himself actually explaining this about why he never stops drawing Manga.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of quirks, in the same conversation where All Might said he was quirkless he also mentioned the person who had One For All before him having a quirk, if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure One For All just gets stronger with every person who has it; the thing about Todoroki, for example, getting it is that he'd have One For All in addition to his own powers, which are already formidable.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones posted:

On the topic of quirks, in the same conversation where All Might said he was quirkless he also mentioned the person who had One For All before him having a quirk, if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure One For All just gets stronger with every person who has it; the thing about Todoroki, for example, getting it is that he'd have One For All in addition to his own powers, which are already formidable.

Speaking of Todoroki, I wonder if there's a limit to the number of quirks you can breed into one person. E.g. If Todoroki had children with someone who had power to control earth, could one of his children have ice plus fire plus earth power?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

JosephWongKS posted:

Speaking of Todoroki, I wonder if there's a limit to the number of quirks you can breed into one person. E.g. If Todoroki had children with someone who had power to control earth, could one of his children have ice plus fire plus earth power?

well it seems more like Todoroki's quirk isn't specifically 'he has his mom's quirk and his dad's', but rather that they combined into one quirk. It seems? Like Endeavor doesn't seem to have to deal with Over Heating, considering he walks around literally on fire all the time.

So it seems like Todoroki could have kids with an earth person and the kid would then get a combination of the quirks. Like maybe he'd get the ability to manipulate Earth with his feet or something, but he'd have to balance it with something like avoiding getting nauseous or w/e.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Todoroki could inherit "multiple quirks" because it is all one quirk. He just has a much greater control over heat than Endeavor. I dunno how Endeavor figured out that parents with similar quirks could have children who combine those similar but not identical abilities, though. That seems like a pretty big leap of faith to take without a bunch of research backing it up!

That kid with the horn hat is probably similar, as his parents seem to have both had water-related quirks. I guess one of them could have been a horse instead, though? I don't actually know what a "water horse" is supposed to be.

Edit: From 15 seconds on google, it is another term for kelpies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 8, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It kelpie helped.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Stallion Cabana posted:

Yeah but he's a villain in a comic book. Villains in comic books are always petty and prone to holding grudges. While technically taking Sugar's Quirk or Muscle's quirk or w/e would give him a level of Super Strength, it wouldn't be the same because it's not One For All, thus it doesn't 'count'.

It's like why Doctor Doom is always yelling about Richards despite being one of the smartest scientist wizard engineer statesmen in the world.
I dunno, how better to hurt the man who nearly killed you than killing his ward?

I mean, Joker did it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Serious Frolicking posted:

Todoroki could inherit "multiple quirks" because it is all one quirk. He just has a much greater control over heat than Endeavor. I dunno how Endeavor figured out that parents with similar quirks could have children who combine those similar but not identical abilities, though. That seems like a pretty big leap of faith to take without a bunch of research backing it up!

It's Endeavor. He either did his research and we just don't know about it (which is possible, I can imagine there's been testing on this stuff), or he had no idea but he decided to risk it because ruining the lives of his wife and potential children is far less important than breeding an ultimate being capable of defeating All Might for him.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the latter was true, he's a monster. He's the reason people like Stain exist.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kids having either slight variations of an individual parent's quirk or a combination of both is something that is common knowledge in their world. And yes, Todoroki very specifically says that Endeavor in fact, got in good with his mom's family for the purpose of getting an arranged marriage with her and popped out kids until he got one that wasn't a "dud".

Endeavor is in fact a real piece of poo poo.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 8, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'd guess that a kid with dual quirks inherited from their parents would just be a dominant/recessive thing and only pass on one themselves. Kouda, for example, can commune with animals but also is a weird rock person, and I have a hard time believing those are the same quirk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

It kelpie helped.

that joke felt a little horsed

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it was established that "quirk marriages" were a thing when we got Todoroki's backstory. That kind of shittiness isn't even unique to Endeavor, it's something that happened enough times for there to be a name for it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure it was stated that all might's skinny form was his real self. I'm pretty sure the buff form is a consequence of him being a prodigy at using one for all, it's basically just the full cowl power deku uses but different

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that joke felt a little horsed
That's just your opinion.

Let's ask the rest of the thread: yay or neigh?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Todoroki's siblings seem fairly content. But they only obtained one of their parents quirks instead of them both like Endeavor wanted. Which is why Endeavor focus' on Shouto instead of his other kids.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

Booooooo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bad Seafood posted:

You guys see one pun on it's like you have blinders on

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
All these horse puns are starting to make me bridle.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I know making horse puns is fun, but can we get back to the mane reason for this topic?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Okay, does anyone else think that some of the other children of Endeavor might have gotten unified quirks that just weren't what he was looking for?

Like, perhaps a hot water quirk? And if so, do you think they were used to help Todoroki get over the times his body met the fist of Endeavor?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Keep the animal puns on a leash until the mayor appears again, please.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FH_Meta posted:

Okay, does anyone else think that some of the other children of Endeavor might have gotten unified quirks that just weren't what he was looking for?

Like, perhaps a hot water quirk? And if so, do you think they were used to help Todoroki get over the times his body met the fist of Endeavor?

I don't think Endeavor ever beat his kids. Just neglected them.

Anyway his Mother had a ice quirk while his dad had a fire one. The rest of his siblings just inherited one or the other instead of both like Endeavor wanted until Shouto.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funi has it.

https://twitter.com/funimation/status/707303519250874368

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hmm, not sure how I feel about that but who else could've gotten it really?

If they know what they're doing they'll do stuff like grab Dante Brasco to do Todoroki.

edit:

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Endeavor ever beat his kids. Just neglected them.
Oh, he absolutely beat Shouto.

It was training however.

...for a 5 year-old.

Re-reading the first half of the manga kinda makes Todoroki actually agreeing to work with him kinda gross because honestly Endeavor should be in prison.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 8, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was between Funi and Viz for my predictions.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Slime posted:

I know making horse puns is fun, but can we get back to the mane reason for this topic?

I agree, we should rein them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fabricated posted:

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that but who else could've gotten it really?

If they know what they're doing they'll do stuff like grab Dante Brasco to do Todoroki.

[Insert exactly 1 million "Capture the Avatar/regain my honor for my father" jokes]

(I want him to play Todoroki too. :shobon: And Yuri Lowenthal for Deku)