Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What about the Hussites semi-autonomous Czech post-Hussites who Tilly flattened? I refuse to believe there aren't ardently pro-Protestant Czech reenactors of the Battle of White Mountain.
Czech reenactors goddamn love White Mountain. (They love me too, since my company, being Protestant, fights on their side whenever we go to the Prague reenactment). They're not Protestant though, because of this:

Spot East Germany and the Czech Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

lol no

edit: it is interesting, though, that this is the go-to figure of speech that anyone who wants to write about anything bad related to government/the welfare of the common people/food shortages happening in Germany goes to.

this is probably why except for the Gustavus Adolphus People (and their Catholic friends the Tilly People), i've never run into a 30yw reenactor equivalent of the Lost Cause guys

...actually, it was really about secularized bishopric's rights...

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Tevery Best posted:

COSSACKS: A warlike Russian tribe, known for charging the enemy with the battle cry "YOB TVOYU MAT'", meaning

This is the first time that something I learned from a Tom Clamcy book has helped me to understand a post in this thread. I wonder if the poor interpretation is intentional.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

...actually, it was really about secularized bishopric's rights...
i made the mistake once of reading the full text of the treaty of Westphalia and a goddamn third of that thing is about land disputes that the Margravine of Hesse-Cassel was involved in. like, lady, it is impossible for me to give less of a poo poo about your country than i do now

edit: there's at least one battle from late in the war where forces working for Hesse-Cassel fought against some working for Hesse-Darmstadt, and you're like who caaaares

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 7, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Jesus, von Falkenhayn has already forgotten his brilliant master plan?

I'm not sure I'd say he's forgotten it, but there's a major disconnect between "here is what is happening at the moment" and "here is how it helps us achieve the objective". Generals are boring, but it's relatively interesting to compare this to e.g. Joffre's mindset during the 1915 offensives, or Haig's mindset on the Somme (or at Loos, or Passchendaele...). In isolation Haig looks like a uniquely deluded butcher, but in context he just looks desperately unexceptional.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm not sure I'd say he's forgotten it, but there's a major disconnect between "here is what is happening at the moment" and "here is how it helps us achieve the objective". Generals are boring, but it's relatively interesting to compare this to e.g. Joffre's mindset during the 1915 offensives, or Haig's mindset on the Somme (or at Loos, or Passchendaele...). In isolation Haig looks like a uniquely deluded butcher, but in context he just looks desperately unexceptional.

It's because that breakthrough is right round the corner guys!!!

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

You couldn't really do 20th century style propaganda in the 30 Years War either.

"This man is your FRIEND - He fights for MONEY" and then a picture of some poxy half-starved Swede.

this has me curious what early modern propaganda would have looked like, at least in the military sense. it seems like the average civilian during the 30 years war hated basically all soldiers -- would there have been any point to propaganda that tried to paint enemy soldiers in a negative light? or was it more propaganda that played up the actual atrocities that occurred? My gut assumption is most propaganda would have been aimed at the elite - trying to weaken alliances, etc. Was there anything similar aimed at "commoners" ? Or maybe propaganda that tried to hamper recruitment efforts? Don't sign up with Wallenstein, he's an rear end in a top hat kind of thing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shallowj posted:

this has me curious what early modern propaganda would have looked like, at least in the military sense. it seems like the average civilian during the 30 years war hated basically all soldiers -- would there have been any point to propaganda that tried to paint enemy soldiers in a negative light? or was it more propaganda that played up the actual atrocities that occurred? My gut assumption is most propaganda would have been aimed at the elite - trying to weaken alliances, etc. Was there anything similar aimed at "commoners" ? Or maybe propaganda that tried to hamper recruitment efforts? Don't sign up with Wallenstein, he's an rear end in a top hat kind of thing?

"Swedish Rescue of the Christian Churches" from 1631. The seven-headed dragon is the Pope.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

WATCH THE ELECTOR PALATINE START A loving WAR

catholic propaganda against calvinists: calvinists trying and failing to pull down the edifice of the Empire, the Church, and I think the Catholic League?

protestant propaganda against the empire: the sack of magdeburg discussed through the medium of black jokes about marital rape

(they really stick the knife in when the guy "giving the bride away" is Gustavus Adolphus--the people in charge of the city's defenses had been convinced he would come to help them. he vacillated, then finally started out too late, and was in Potsdam when the city fell)

the british look over the channel, flip their poo poo

Most propaganda is about politics or religion, not about how war is made. The only times that anyone talks about what soldiers do in order to make propaganda is if the anti-Imperialists are talking about the Sack of Magdeburg--which jokemakers were calling the "Magdeburg Wedding" very soon after the event--or if the British are talking about what's happening in Europe, they're consistently awed and terrified by the normal way of going to war

germans still call it the Magdeburg Wedding, by the way.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdeburger_Hochzeit
fun times

(Magdeburg means "maiden city" and Tilly was a 72-year-old virgin. If you're a terrible person, the jokes write themselves.)

Edit: I have seen some broadsheets making fun of the Imperialist general Holck for enriching himself shamelessly through plunder, but that was about him, not about his soldiers.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 8, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The question is, how old was the city?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mrs Magdeburg, you're trying to seduce me, aren't you?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Waci posted:

The question is, how old was the city?
it only looked young, it was actually a 5,000 year old demon, which makes this fine.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

There's a lot of anti-Irish propaganda in England after the rebellion.

http://www.hallamor.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Wenceslaus_Hollar_%E2%80%93_supposed_Irish_atrocities_during_the_Rebellion_of_1641.jpg

Also, it's not about military matters, but Middleton's Game at Chess is awesome, and was probably only allowed to be shown because the Master of Revels was being pressured by Buckingham to give a pass to pro-war material.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Illegal Username posted:

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night
What slavic shell or yankee round
Could pierce thy impenetrable krupp steel frame

Ensign Expendable posted:

Someone did the entire poem in an old WoT forums thread that was swiftly deleted, I only remember the first stanza:

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright
in the middle of the fight
What Belorussian hand or eye
could nerf thy fearful symmetry?

A bit rough, but if I apply the very few things I still remember about poesy from school:

Could pierce thy krupp steel frame?

could rend thy fearful symmetry?

(My reasons: "impenetrable" is far too clunky sounding for that last line in the first verse. Too many syllables, too. And "nerf" in a poem about WWII is 100% out of place, that had to go, too.)

Now we just need at least one more verse to get a nice ballad!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

it only looked young, it was actually a 5,000 year old demon, which makes this fine.

:golfclap:

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

Mrs Magdeburg, you're trying to seduce me, aren't you?

Here's to you, Mrs. Magdeburg, Jesus loves you more than you can know oh oh oh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JcDent posted:

So how did the light infantry operate in front of their line company? Because now I'm imagining a company marching in line and pairs of light infantry running around (skirmishing) 10 to 20 meters in front of them.

With battalion being the smallest unit, no wonder grogs go 6mm or abstract for napoleonics. That and love of showing you up with their 6mm painting skillz

Well, it would usually be a battalion deployed in line or column of companies with the light company in skirmish order in front of the other companies. There would be quite a bit more space - Up to a couple hundred meters or so between the battalion front and the skirmishers. Depends on the position of enemy cavalry. Skirmishers fall back before cavalry until they are close enough to form square with the rest of the battalion. In an advance, the light company would rejoin the battalion (by letting the battalion catch up) before volley range and take the far left company position.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, it would usually be a battalion deployed in line or column of companies with the light company in skirmish order in front of the other companies. There would be quite a bit more space - Up to a couple hundred meters or so between the battalion front and the skirmishers. Depends on the position of enemy cavalry. Skirmishers fall back before cavalry until they are close enough to form square with the rest of the battalion. In an advance, the light company would rejoin the battalion (by letting the battalion catch up) before volley range and take the far left company position.
Apparently the Sharpe series is actually full of lies, but how good were light rifle companies at taking out enemy officers, really?

On a related note, why were the Spanish armies so goddamned terrible during the Napoleonic wars? I mean, "led by corrupt aristocrats" only goes so far when it applies to everyone else (besides the French)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Libluini posted:

A bit rough, but if I apply the very few things I still remember about poesy from school:

Could pierce thy krupp steel frame?

could rend thy fearful symmetry?

(My reasons: "impenetrable" is far too clunky sounding for that last line in the first verse. Too many syllables, too. And "nerf" in a poem about WWII is 100% out of place, that had to go, too.)

Now we just need at least one more verse to get a nice ballad!

What poor bastard conscript crew
Must ride thee when the Reds come through?

Also maybe that second couplet could be "What slavic shell has made thee tame; what yankee round has pierced thy frame"?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 8, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Apparently the Sharpe series is actually full of lies, but how good were light rifle companies at taking out enemy officers, really?

On a related note, why were the Spanish armies so goddamned terrible during the Napoleonic wars? I mean, "led by corrupt aristocrats" only goes so far when it applies to everyone else (besides the French)

The Spanish army was insanely underfunded because of the empire's corroded economy so you had a lot of companies that had crappy equipment and were badly paid. Also the Latin American colonies demanded a lot of manpower to pacify (the peninsular war also triggered the various independence movements in Latin America too so they had their hands full there as well).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Libluini posted:

[b]Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Could make thy Krupp steel unsound?

Davin Valkri posted:

What poor bastard conscripts green
Must ride thee when the Reds are seen?

Also maybe that second couplet could be "What slavic shell has made thee tame; what yankee round has pierced thy frame"?

The best I could do. Hope it ain't too derivative.

Needs a verse about tank destroyers.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
and Bears.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

-or if the British are talking about what's happening in Europe, they're consistently awed and terrified by the normal way of going to war

I remember reading something about how propaganda from the 30 YW actually contributed to the whole English Civil War thing. Essentially, it made the English protestants and especially the hardliners, nervous about ending back under catholic power so they might have somewhat overreacted at King Charles being an idiot.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hogge Wild posted:

When did field artillery stop using grapeshot, and when did tanks start to use them?

Also, when did tanks get telephones in the back?

Also, can we talk about flechettes and beehives?

I'm reading a lot on vietnam at the moment, and apparently flechette "shotgun" rounds were liberally fired from both M-79s and 2.75 FFAR warheads. How effective were they? Troops in the field swore by them, but I also read on wikipedia that they didn't penetrate well at angles. That is, if the things hit you point first it would ruin your whole day, but if they struck you cross-body they would just bounce off.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

I remember reading something about how propaganda from the 30 YW actually contributed to the whole English Civil War thing. Essentially, it made the English protestants and especially the hardliners, nervous about ending back under catholic power so they might have somewhat overreacted at King Charles being an idiot.

Well, he was married to a Catholic and some of his advisors were pretty much known to be secretly Catholic, and he was trying to rule without Parliament, and he was openly pushing as high-church a version of Anglicanism as he could, and the last time the country went Catholic under Mary things were not exactly great for leading Protestants. Given the time period, their concern is understandable.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

Would Trump use tank destroyers or towed guns, discuss

Trump always wants the joogest most luxurious stuff that eventually always goes down in flames under it's own weight, so my money is on the Elefant.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ratte, duh. And he'll get Russia to pay for it.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Random diversion:

So I'm doing up a sci-fi infantry combat force, and I'm trying to warn my fellow designers (its a collaborative effort) about weight as a combat factor.

Amid that, I'm noticing something. IRL, what's the average combat load of an infantryman today? Like, how much stuff are they carrying?

And how much did they carry, say, back in the 30 years war? (I know that'd vary hugely between, say, pike people and musket people, but as an average)

What I have currently:

"100 lbs being *about* what the average infantryman carries today *more or less* IIRC. (Yes I'm rounding off.) If it goes *heavier* you *really have to explain why*. 100 lbs has been the soldier's load going back at least 500 years IRL. The composition of it has varied, but the infantryman? Lugs around 100 lbs."

Accurate? Not accurate?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
As an aside, you'll also want to be looking at ground pressure in your sci-fi infantry combat scenario. *future not-Waffen SS company sinks in a bog and dies while invading future not-Soviet Union planet*

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Spacewolf posted:

Random diversion:

So I'm doing up a sci-fi infantry combat force, and I'm trying to warn my fellow designers (its a collaborative effort) about weight as a combat factor.

Amid that, I'm noticing something. IRL, what's the average combat load of an infantryman today? Like, how much stuff are they carrying?

And how much did they carry, say, back in the 30 years war? (I know that'd vary hugely between, say, pike people and musket people, but as an average)

What I have currently:

"100 lbs being *about* what the average infantryman carries today *more or less* IIRC. (Yes I'm rounding off.) If it goes *heavier* you *really have to explain why*. 100 lbs has been the soldier's load going back at least 500 years IRL. The composition of it has varied, but the infantryman? Lugs around 100 lbs."

Accurate? Not accurate?

Does it matter for the story being told? IIRC current militaries are already dreaming up all kinds of weight suspension schemes, from robotic mules to exoskeletons - unless it's really what you want to talk about, you could handwave it away, even in a reasonably hard sci-fi setting.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

MrBling posted:

This is going back a few pages, but since nobody replied to you I figured I could give it a go but I doubt you will find many books in English about the invasion (such as it was) and occupation of Denmark.

Not knowing the author at all, this seems be a well reviewed book http://www.amazon.com/Denmark-Norway-1940-operation-Campaign/dp/1846031176/

I can pretty much guarantee that anything you find will be more focused on the Norwegian parts, since the invasion of Denmark was more of a target of opportunity thing than anything else.

Germany was looking to secure iron ore shipments from Norway and then figured that a) having an airbase in northern Jutland might be good and b) Denmark has a large agricultural sector than can feed Germany.

It didn't really get any more difficult when the Danish government decided to not prepare any defences in an attempt to not provoke the Germans. All in all the invasion took about six hours before Denmark surrendered in exchange for retaining as much power as possible. Hitler viewed Denmark as fellow aryans and was keen to show the world how good life would be in a cooperative German satellite state so they more or less let the Danish government continue to run things.

There was a fairly faithful movie made about the invasion actually, last year which I suppose you could watch if only to see the armaments of the Danish army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv2IxRJCddc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfZVSB5piUI

Im a few days(and pages) late getting back to this, but thank you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Davin Valkri posted:

What poor bastard conscript crew
Must ride thee when the Reds come through?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The best I could do. Hope it ain't too derivative.

Needs a verse about tank destroyers.

The Ballad of the Tiger

Tiger, tiger, burning bright,
in forests shrouded by night
What slavic shell or yankee thunder,
could rend thy Krupp Steel asunder?

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright,
in forests shrouded by night
What poor bastard conscripts green,
must ride thee where Reds are seen?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright,
What slavic shell or yankee flame,
could pierce thy Krupp Steel frame?

What Belorussian hand or eye,
could mar thy fearful symmetry?

Edit:

Even though I'm most likely to be the worst poet ever, I spend some time on smoothing out verse meters and poo poo. Now you could probably stick this little ballad into a poetry collection book and no-one skimming it will notice something awry.

Edit2:

For the life of me, I couldn't think of a verse about Tank Destroyers. Sorry!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
The Tyger happens to fit the 1980s song 'Cult of Personality' and when you know the verses of one and only the music of the other and happen to be knocked out with a fever holy poo poo do you end up with the most bizarre earworm.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Who dared to jump their station
Sending tank destroyers at thee?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Spacewolf posted:

Random diversion:

What I have currently:

Accurate? Not accurate?

A big caveat is going to be the difference between combat weight and marching weight. Going into a fight they know is coming you tend to see a lot of extra crap dropped off. The current loaded march weight for basic training in the US is iirc something like 75lbs.

[url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:C2P3JOBMBJkJ:dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc%3FAD%3DADA212050+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari]

According to that document that I just googled it varies a lot from time to time, but somewhere in the 35-75kg range for total equipment that people are expected to haul around on the march is the basic window. One thing I'm noticing looking at the tables is that soldiers in areas with effective supply networks or in relatively static positions have significantly reduced loads - a US soldier in Vietnam or a French soldier in WW1 are looking at the ~35kg range, while a US soldier in North Africa is hauling about 50. There are also individual jobs that are going to be more heavily loaded down because they're carrying a big weapon and lots of equipment. Machinegunners are notorious for this, something noted in that article as well.

Really, though, I think the most important thing to remember is that no one carries poo poo if they can avoid it. Going into combat? Your mess kit and bed roll get left behind. Being staged out of a fire base? You have a foot locker and don't move that poo poo nearly as much as a soldier on the march.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You hear a lot about people intentionally misplacing gas masks and stuff like that in WWII. Does anyone come to regret that?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

A big caveat is going to be the difference between combat weight and marching weight. Going into a fight they know is coming you tend to see a lot of extra crap dropped off. The current loaded march weight for basic training in the US is iirc something like 75lbs.

link

According to that document that I just googled it varies a lot from time to time, but somewhere in the 35-75kg range for total equipment that people are expected to haul around on the march is the basic window. One thing I'm noticing looking at the tables is that soldiers in areas with effective supply networks or in relatively static positions have significantly reduced loads - a US soldier in Vietnam or a French soldier in WW1 are looking at the ~35kg range, while a US soldier in North Africa is hauling about 50. There are also individual jobs that are going to be more heavily loaded down because they're carrying a big weapon and lots of equipment. Machinegunners are notorious for this, something noted in that article as well.

Really, though, I think the most important thing to remember is that no one carries poo poo if they can avoid it. Going into combat? Your mess kit and bed roll get left behind. Being staged out of a fire base? You have a foot locker and don't move that poo poo nearly as much as a soldier on the march.

Oooh, this is useful. As is a lot of the stuff other people are mentioning. Thanks guys!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wasn't one of the issues in Black Hawk Down that the soldiers had left their night vision at home since they assumed it was going to be a quick snatch and grab?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

feedmegin posted:

Well, he was married to a Catholic and some of his advisors were pretty much known to be secretly Catholic, and he was trying to rule without Parliament, and he was openly pushing as high-church a version of Anglicanism as he could, and the last time the country went Catholic under Mary things were not exactly great for leading Protestants. Given the time period, their concern is understandable.

Mary's persecution of protestants was fairly lame, all things being equal. Anyway, my point was more about how continental stuff and propaganda influenced the whole ECW shebang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

a French soldier in WW1 is looking at the ~35kg range

Just to get even more granular, even this is going to depend on exactly what year it is and what he's doing at the time. In 1914 he's likely to be closer to 20kg/40lbs in battle order because this is a war of movement and he's expected to be mobile; by the back end of 1915 battle order is moving up into the region of 60lb/30kg as bite and hold starts to catch on, and for that you need attacking waves to carry heavy entrenching gear for the "hold" part to work; 1916 is probably the apogee of people having difficulty getting over the top while hauling endless supplies of bombs and spare ammunition and spare parts for the machine gun and stakes and fresh barbed wire and shovels and the Colonel's tea/coffee urn; and by 1918 it goes right back the other way and everyone's stripping battle order down as much as possible so the men can follow up and consolidate breakthroughs.

Here, have 14 pages of an MOD assessment (pdf!) on how much poo poo British soldiers (and others) have had to haul around with them since 1860. "PLCE" stands for Personal Load Carrying Equipment, the modern formal name for webbing, the assortment of pouches and packs that the said poo poo gets carried inside.

• Locked thread