Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I've applied to adopt a sweet little miniature schnauzer from the local shelter. The internet tells me that the breed standard for schnauzers excludes any colors besides black and gray, but that occasionally even purebreds turn up with some brown. She's pretty much brown all over except for a bit of black here and there. What are the odds that she's basically a schnauzer despite the brown, vs. being a hybrid/mutt? She does look quite schnauzer-y, but she also looks like some schnauzer/cocker spaniel crosses I've seen pictures of.

Obviously I don't care about the pure breeding of a shelter dog, I'm just curious, as I have very little schnauzer experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's dependent on a lot of factors, your training, the dog, the age/breed etc. I know smaller breeds tend to have issues holding it long. My puppy was a breeze and pretty much trained within 2-3 weeks of bringing him home (we got him at 10 weeks). I know other people have a much bigger issue with housebreaking. I was lucky, I wasn't working at the time so I was able to take him out at all hours, spend all day with him etc. We took him outside every half hour for the first few weeks and reinforced an outdoor pee spot and command. He caught on very quick and eventually was ringing a bell at the door around 4.5 - 5 months.

Also I'm not a big fan of pee pads. I feel they teach your dog that peeing inside is okay. I just accepted the fact that accidents would happen from time to time. I know if my dog had the choice of peeing inside or going out in the rain ... he would prefer inside.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I know pee pads aren't for everyone, but given that we have an extremely small dog who's never going to get huge, it's not like her bladder capacity is ever going to be fantastic-- and I've had enough horror stories about predators making off with small dogs that I'm never going to be comfortable with a "go outside whenever" doggie door. If the alternative is hosing off a fake grass pad once every couple days, I'm pretty okay with it.

The odd thing is that she initially took to it just fine-- we tried a "puppy pad" for awhile that she was just scared of, but the instant we put the fake grass portion there she started using it instantly, and that was close to a month ago. I'm just hoping the excited forgetfulness isn't a constant thing.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Puppypads are fine imo, so long as you use them effectively. I think they are probably sold too often and people don't commit to using them properly. You should always be encouraging your dog to expel outdoors as well of course.

Also I think everyone goes through a nightmare stage with puppies, where they leave room for 7 minutes and come back to a quagmire of piss and poo poo.
It really makes no difference what way you try to train your dog, they are all adorable puppies that at some point WILL make you question your choice.
M
(Not necessarily directed to you ursine)

Edit: ursine àre predators a concern where you live?

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 3, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fickle poofterist posted:

Puppypads are fine imo, so long as you use them effectively. I think they are probably sold too often and people don't commit to using them properly. You should always be encouraging your dog to expel outdoors as well of course.

Also I think everyone goes through a nightmare stage with puppies, where they leave room for 7 minutes and come back to a quagmire of piss and poo poo.
It really makes no difference what way you try to train your dog, they are all adorable puppies that at some point WILL make you question your choice.
M
(Not necessarily directed to you ursine)

a 3-year old kid who can outrun you

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

pookel posted:

I've applied to adopt a sweet little miniature schnauzer from the local shelter. The internet tells me that the breed standard for schnauzers excludes any colors besides black and gray, but that occasionally even purebreds turn up with some brown. She's pretty much brown all over except for a bit of black here and there. What are the odds that she's basically a schnauzer despite the brown, vs. being a hybrid/mutt? She does look quite schnauzer-y, but she also looks like some schnauzer/cocker spaniel crosses I've seen pictures of.

Obviously I don't care about the pure breeding of a shelter dog, I'm just curious, as I have very little schnauzer experience.

I have seen brown miniature schnauzers that are most likely not mutts. I wouldn't rely on "breed standard" because that is for show dogs and miniature schnauzers can be salt and pepper, black and gray, all black, all white, brown, or parti (white with black/brown spots). Breed standard used to require docking tails and cropped ears, but I think that has been changed (and I don't think an non-docked, non-cropped dog would do well at dog shows).

The other important thing to know is that if the dog hasn't been groomed in a long time or has had its beard cut off, it isn't as easy to identify as a miniature schnauzer.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Oil! posted:

I have seen brown miniature schnauzers that are most likely not mutts. I wouldn't rely on "breed standard" because that is for show dogs and miniature schnauzers can be salt and pepper, black and gray, all black, all white, brown, or parti (white with black/brown spots). Breed standard used to require docking tails and cropped ears, but I think that has been changed (and I don't think an non-docked, non-cropped dog would do well at dog shows).

The other important thing to know is that if the dog hasn't been groomed in a long time or has had its beard cut off, it isn't as easy to identify as a miniature schnauzer.
Well, she was an owner surrender, not a stray, so I assume they have some info from the original owner, but I don't know how much. The shelter had her fur cut very close all over - I'm guessing if it was a surrender that the owner hadn't been taking care of her and her fur had gotten long and matted. She definitely doesn't have the beard right now, although she has lovely long eyebrows.

She does have a very short docked tail, which makes me sad, but it's not like I can change it. I don't think her ears are cropped.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
crossposting from the greyhound thread to show off our whippet pup to-be.we've been talking with the breeder for about six months now and just learned we were confirmed to get a pup last week:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason dogs wink? I see it every once in a while and I always wink back.

We have a family friend who's been a vet for 40 years or something like that and he called me crazy when I asked. Dogs don't wink at vets I guess.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

more of a wonk really.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I think they just screw up blinking and only blink one eye.

Either way winking back is always the appropriate response.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

large hands posted:

crossposting from the greyhound thread to show off our whippet pup to-be.we've been talking with the breeder for about six months now and just learned we were confirmed to get a pup last week:

Holy hell what a cutie. Mind if I ask what you paid?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
850 Canadian with shots, microchips and ckc registration. I think the pups that went to show/racing homes cost more but this guy is apparently a little small for that so we get him for a family dog :)

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Our Honduran Foster Dog

Shes stuck wearing the cone of shame because she just had an NPL and a tibial plateau transposition performed at the local veterinary trauma center for injuries she received in Honduras. Hopefully the surgery takes otherwise the next course of action is to make her a tripod.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 6, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
On the bright side tripod dogs own.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Butler graduated puppy pre-school:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am proud to report that Pax is so friendly that he's being used as a greeter for daycare

Mar 6, 2016

This was my pooch before she passed from bone cancer.
Such a sweet hound. I have a Chihuahua Dachshund Cross now.

Edit: While she was always considered "mine" legal rights were under my Grandfather an hour away. Were he ever to pass, she would have been under my care. Unfortunately her quality of life had gone down a bit when I had moved, hence the length of the nails. She had shortly been placed in my Aunt's care after taking that picture, however. Which, we soon learned a few months later she was dying.

3.141592653 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 7, 2016

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

thatbastardken posted:

Butler graduated puppy pre-school:

What a fancy little dog :3:

Hey thread, I'm noticing lately that my 1-year old pup is showing dog-jealousy or something. Sometimes when a dog is close to me and I pet it or interact with it in some way, my dog gets kind of possessive and starts yelp-barking and pawing at me. This also only seems to happen to me. She never does this with my girlfriend or any of the people at doggie daycare that she is very connected to.

It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough that I know not to really interact with other dogs around her which sucks because it would be awesome if I could play with other dogs without her going crazy. She hasn't done anything aggressive toward another dog, she just tries to get my attention. I've never seen her get growly with another dog or anything and she isn't possessive of toys.

Has anyone dealt with this? She definitely has a level of separation anxiety, so maybe it has some connection to that?

Here's her not enjoying the rain:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i miss my GSD so bad :(

i want to get another one, but I'm also pretty hesitant because Bella was mostly trained by the time we took over ownership. i've never trained an animal before, and while I want to, I'd be a complete novice at it and don't want to gently caress the animal up.

We've been thinking about GSD adoption, but the ache of missing her is still really close to me. I don't want to get another dog just because I want to fill the emptiness of not having one, and I'm afraid if I rush right back into ownership it'll be for the wrong reasons.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

thanks all. it has been a hard past few days.

yunnan baiyao was a lifesaver when the nosebleeds started to get more frequent. it's an import only. you will probably need to go to an apothecary to get it. it was used as a topical bloodclotter by the vietnamese during the vietnam war and for good reason. it stops bleeding almost instantly whether applied topically or orally. we would have lost bella months ago if it werent for daily doses of yunnan baiyao.

dont be afraid to run them, even if their sneezes sometimes trigger a nosebleed. for bella squeaky chase was the best part of her day no matter how bad she was feeling. they'll also pass out much faster later.

during a reverse sneezing episode, kneel next to them and have one hand pet the top of their head and the other gently massage their throat. it will usually abate the sneezing in seconds.

if their breathing becomes difficult or impossible with a blockage in their nose, buy a soft squeaky/non-squeaky toy with spikes that they can chew so the spikes keep their mouth open but allow the air to flow around and through the ball. there will be times waking up in the night hearing them snoring and waking up to drink. just settle them, get them to lay back in their bed and stroke their head until they fall asleep again. even if your animal doesn't like to chew on toys they will understand eventually. coat it with peanut butter or honey if you are having a hard time getting them to take to it.

peanut butter is ideal for getting piroxicam, yunnan baiyao and benadryl into them for inflammation, bleeding and to help sleep. we didn't like the effects of tramadol; too often it made her sick and unable to function.

if your animal has a nasal mass, it might rupture at some point and begin draining blood which can flow very rapidly. don't panic, just comfort the dog and get warm water and a washcloth and wipe the blood and fluid as best you can, avoid their eye. use an antiseptic ointment with a small amount of lidocaine so it doesn't hurt them as much when you are cleaning and dressing the wound. don't bandage it. let it drain and comfort the dog as much as you can. eventually it will clot but the bleeding might happen before you notice it so expect some cleanup.

keep walking them and playing them. she played and chased up until her very last hour. we surrounded her with every single toy from frisbee to chewy gator to squeaky piggy. 20 or more in all.

dont be afraid to give them lots of bad food the day of. we gave huge spoonfuls of peanut butter, doggie custard ice cream and frozen peanut butter biscuits and a hamburger with a special sauce and pickles. my fingers are still sore.

i hope this helps someone.

i hope this helps someone

This has helped me my beagle just got diagnosed with an aggressive mass in his nose. We are trying to get some yunnan baio now. It is good to know that I can still run him around.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm somewhat concerned about my beagle. She's super sweet and a great dog, but she's not making any progress with separation anxiety after over a week of me coming and going. It took her less than a week to get house training largely down. I'm worried that the problem might be larger than I first thought, I've noticed that she rarely breaks line of sight with me when we're home. If she's sleeping on my bed, she maintains some kind of physical contact with me at all times. If a dog leave the dog park we're at, she stands by the fence and whines for a long time, ignoring other dogs. I wonder if the pet shop she was purchased at mistreated her or if coming from an environment where she had two other dogs to play with at all times is the root cause here.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Warbird posted:

I wonder if the pet shop she was purchased at

hmm

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Give me a bit more than "hmm" holmes.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
you got a pet store dog, of course its hosed up

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fair enough. It's not particularly surprising and I likely got off easy considering how well adjusted she is in all other areas.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Just wait for all the fun and exciting health issues to pop up in your "well adjusted" puppy mill dog :D!*

In my experience a lot of poorly bred beagles tend to be neurotic and have massive SA but ymmv in the future.

*this assuming it wasn't like, a legit shelter/rescue holding an adoption event but it doesn't sound like it

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Are you giving the dog anything awesome amazing when you leave? Bully sticks, kibble in puzzle toys, frozen kongs etc. If not, I suggest implementing something asap and giving it to them whenever you leave (and they only get it when you are leaving.)

They won't be able to wait until you leave home for that bad rear end treat.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

This has helped me my beagle just got diagnosed with an aggressive mass in his nose. We are trying to get some yunnan baio now. It is good to know that I can still run him around.

I'm really sorry to hear that. If its a sarcoma I can give some more details on what to expect generally. Do try and give him that yunnan baiyao. You only really need to give them one pill a day and any nosebleeds should stop.

Unless you detected the mass very early on (and there's almost no presentation), I would recommend against pursuing radiation/chemo. Everything I've read on the topic is that complete remission is very rare and radiation/surgery often just decreases the animal's quality of life severely without an appreciable difference in prognosis.

Mar 6, 2016

paisleyfox posted:

Are you giving the dog anything awesome amazing when you leave? Bully sticks, kibble in puzzle toys, frozen kongs etc. If not, I suggest implementing something asap and giving it to them whenever you leave (and they only get it when you are leaving.)

They won't be able to wait until you leave home for that bad rear end treat.

This is a great response. Kong makes some great stuff and you can easily find some do it yourself means of making puzzle treats.

I am a fan of giving a dog a job so to speak. Hounds especially can do a thing called tracking or even field trials. They don't have to be intact, however, I am unsure if they have to be purebred. It's been a while. The latter I don't believe matters so much.

Either way, the point is it gives their brains a means of working while also working the body. It's a great rush/reward for owner and dog, if that's a thing you might be into.

AKC is what I'm most familiar with, so check your local club and see if they have any finds.

3.141592653 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 7, 2016

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
tracking owns but its not gonna fix separation anxiety

Mar 6, 2016
It's definitely not a cure by all means, but think of what a walk does for a dog. Quite a big benefit there. It's just a thing to look into which might help if there is interest.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
yeah no exercise will literally do nothing for separation anxiety; a dog can be worn the gently caress out and it will still panic if that's what it's used to doing

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
one of my LGDs is inside right now because she's in heat. she's used to running a farm for me and working 24/7. She still has the energy to eat door frames because "LOL YOU LEFT AND IM TRAPPED IN HERE"

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that. If its a sarcoma I can give some more details on what to expect generally. Do try and give him that yunnan baiyao. You only really need to give them one pill a day and any nosebleeds should stop.

Unless you detected the mass very early on (and there's almost no presentation), I would recommend against pursuing radiation/chemo. Everything I've read on the topic is that complete remission is very rare and radiation/surgery often just decreases the animal's quality of life severely without an appreciable difference in prognosis.

Yeah we aren't going to try chemo, it would be too expensive plus the side affects. It started as a bump on his head we noticed one day, the first vet drained it completely of mucus and it tested fine. The second vet did a CT scan on him and noted the mass has begun to go through the bone which caused the fluid build up. They took samples but I declined testing because of the bone issue. The second vet didn't do such a hot job of draining it (the first vet drained it completely and stapled him up, we thought that was the end of it until it came back) which along with his nose left him a big bloody mess. I thought I was going to have to put him down this upcoming weekend but now the bleeding has subsided a great deal and for the most part he is acting normal, especially if he thinks it is time to eat. I took him to the dog park today but forgot how he likes to go up to strangers for attention and was waiting he was going to blow some bloody snot on someone's face so I am going to stick to walking/hiking with him.

Where did you get your yunnan baiyao from? The places the vet recommended didn't work out and the holistic healer that prescribe it want us to get a $200 consultation done on him first.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I have a quick question about jogging with my dog/puppy. He is a 13 month old doberman / border collie. If it matter's he is shaped more like a doberman with longer legs and an overall taller body. I normally jog 5 miles a couple times a week with my labs but I would like to bring him into the fold to burn some energy (especially for him). Is he old enough that the jogs are ok for him? I don't want to hurt his growth or something because he started running with me. Also should I start with shorter distances? His breed seems like has the same energy as my labs, just a little more disciplined, but I don't want to over tax him and accidentally hurt him. Thanks

Warbird
May 23, 2012

paisleyfox posted:

Are you giving the dog anything awesome amazing when you leave?

So far: Some chewable plastic bone that claims to be chicken flavored, some cow leg bone (that she loves to chew), one of my old shirts, a blanket of her own, a jerky treat when I leave, and music streaming on my laptop. The food is all untouched until I get back home and the music seems to do nothing. The cage isn't even a problem, she hangs out there fairly regularly. Every day it's the same thing: Door closes, count to two and a half, and 8+ minutes of howling and barking. I'll look into one of those kong toys and I need to read that book already. I'm considering getting a trainer since we can hopefully work towards obedience as well as the SA.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I have a quick question about jogging with my dog/puppy. He is a 13 month old doberman / border collie. If it matter's he is shaped more like a doberman with longer legs and an overall taller body. I normally jog 5 miles a couple times a week with my labs but I would like to bring him into the fold to burn some energy (especially for him). Is he old enough that the jogs are ok for him? I don't want to hurt his growth or something because he started running with me. Also should I start with shorter distances? His breed seems like has the same energy as my labs, just a little more disciplined, but I don't want to over tax him and accidentally hurt him. Thanks

If you're jogging on a hard surface, like paths or roads, I would wait another 2-3 months before starting. When you do start, definitely start with shorter distances and build up. Even if he is used to long walks etc it isn't the same as a structured and consistent running speed. I learned the hard way about over exercising a young active breed dog :)

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
God drat, having your 6 year old best buddy euthanized is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life.

I've had many dogs over the years, but Zoey was my spirit dog. She was by far the dog I've connected to the most of any I've ever had. Then all of a sudden last weekend she got acute kidney failure and nothing they did at the hospital could get her kidneys running again. They pretty much told me she had 2 or so days to live unless I had her put on dialysis, which at $10k for the first treatment and $1k weekly after that there was absolutely no way I can afford.

I'm so incredibly heartbroken, it was all so sudden. She went from being her playful, cuddly, cheerful self to gone in a matter of 5 days. I've never had a dog die so young before and I feel like something was ripped away from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

God drat, having your 6 year old best buddy euthanized is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life.

I've had many dogs over the years, but Zoey was my spirit dog. She was by far the dog I've connected to the most of any I've ever had. Then all of a sudden last weekend she got acute kidney failure and nothing they did at the hospital could get her kidneys running again. They pretty much told me she had 2 or so days to live unless I had her put on dialysis, which at $10k for the first treatment and $1k weekly after that there was absolutely no way I can afford.

I'm so incredibly heartbroken, it was all so sudden. She went from being her playful, cuddly, cheerful self to gone in a matter of 5 days. I've never had a dog die so young before and I feel like something was ripped away from me.

I lost my 6yo GSD (check my post history in the thread) a few weeks ago, and this resonates a lot with me. She deteriorated slowly over the course of 6 months, though, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to have it happen over the course of 2 days.

I'm so sorry for you, she was a good dog. Keep her spirit with you however you can, remember the good times you had with her and everything she taught you.