Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RIP Jook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

You're getting upset about the One Piece anime being replaced by something with good pacing?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A book on the powerful phrases and statements of One Piece.

Called Strong Words.

The second volume of such.

Has One Piece gone too far?

I'm totally okay with a book that just repeats I AM THE GREAT ONE for 20 pages.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So the official translation of 818 is out. The Boiled alive thing is pretty debunked now as it stands

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Could still be.
Final taunts of the condemned and all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

(Anyways being boiled alive was a popular, or at least widespread in fiction and historical accounts, method of execution)

Somewhat popular in feudal Japan, there's some historical accounts about it. In fiction we have that one scene in James Clavell's Shogun where some samurais boil alive a bunch of english sailors for trespassing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fat_Cow posted:

So the official translation of 818 is out. The Boiled alive thing is pretty debunked now as it stands

This still doesn't clarify if the Shogun of Wano is working with Kaido or is Kaido :tizzy: (I think they are separate people)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Julias posted:

This still doesn't clarify if the Shogun of Wano is working with Kaido or is Kaido :tizzy: (I think they are separate people)

If they were the same person, it would be written "The Shogun of Wano and pirate, Kaido." Needs a comma.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Fat_Cow posted:

I figured it was more of a pun than anything what with Oden being a kind of soup. You know how the Japanese love their puns. I'm not sure the cause of death really matters, just that we know he was executed is important.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shoren posted:

I figured it was more of a pun than anything what with Oden being a kind of soup. You know how the Japanese love their puns. I'm not sure the cause of death really matters, just that we know he was executed is important.

I think the method of execution implies something about Kaidou's characterization. Is Kaidou the kind of person who finds it amusing to boil someone alive, or not? The official translation, while implying that Oden was indeed boiled alive, makes Oden himself the one to mention the pun (so presumably he was boiled only in water, rather than with eggs, daikon, and fish).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Oden was boiled, Kaido and the shogun are two different people, god I feel bad for you guys who're practically deciphering poneglyphs yourselves with lovely translations

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ishikawa Goemon was also famously boiled to death. There's even a type of bath named after him, which is... Kinda hosed up when you think about it.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Roger couldn't read them but didn't need to, he had a weird ability that poo poo just talked to him without any effort on his part. He could even understand Sea Kings (like Luffy, who probably shares the entirety of this ability)

This literally makes no sense, if that was the case there would be 0 reason for Robin to even be a character.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe the stones had the thoughts and feelings of the people who made them and the written stuff is the more straightforward and logical story.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Ishikawa Goemon was also famously boiled to death. There's even a type of bath named after him, which is... Kinda hosed up when you think about it.

Yeah, I still think the last chapter was alluding to Oden being executed by boiling. Oda has a thing for name puns, after all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, I still think the last chapter was alluding to Oden being executed by boiling. Oda has a thing for name puns, after all.

Yup, he authors a manga, this checks out.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Ubiquitus posted:

This literally makes no sense, if that was the case there would be 0 reason for Robin to even be a character.

Read chapter 507 again. It's totally a thing and it's something Roger could do.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Shoren posted:

Read chapter 507 again. It's totally a thing and it's something Roger could do.

I think he was talking about it making no sense for Luffy to have Roger's power. Arguably it makes Robin's primary role redundant.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I think he was talking about it making no sense for Luffy to have Roger's power. Arguably it makes Robin's primary role redundant.

Robin's primary role is to be waifu-Booberella. Much like Nami.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You're right, I misinterpreted that, but still, I disagree. By that logic, Zoro's role is redundant because Luffy is also really good at beating things up. While Robin can read poneglyphs, it's not her whole purpose for existing. She's an archaeologist who wants to learn the world's history, not just read all the poneglyphs. I don't recall Luffy ever actually hearing a poneglyph, but even if he did would he or the crew understand it? Robin's been the one explaining a lot of this stuff to the crew so she's absolutely needed if Luffy is going to surpass Roger.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah for the record I pretty much agree with you Shoren.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy doesn't read current newspapers, why would anyone expect him to read really, really, really, old newspapers?

I mean, maybe if they find a poneglyph and there aren't any ninjas, giant snakes, ancient bells from a children's fairy tail, or assholes to punch. Maybe then he'd read it. Probably just goof off with Usopp and Chopper instead though.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I don't want Luffy to be able to hear Poneglyphs or whatever simply because I want Luffy to continue to be Not Roger. Luffy will surpass Roger by ending the WG in its current form using the crew he's gathered by his force of will. It will be by actions and not by using Roger's skills +1. I hope, at least.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/one-piece-chapter-819-spoiler-pics-and-summaries.3003275/

Assuming these spoilers are accurate, we'll finally be seeing Dr. Vegapunk in the flesh with this next chapter. :suspense:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I don't want Luffy to be able to hear Poneglyphs or whatever simply because I want Luffy to continue to be Not Roger. Luffy will surpass Roger by ending the WG in its current form using the crew he's gathered by his force of will. It will be by actions and not by using Roger's skills +1. I hope, at least.

Yeah it would super suck if it turns out Luffy is just literally retreading Roger's path step for step, including having the same powers. It would be pretty much completely against the whole thing of Luffy breaking down the world's systems and causing huge upheaval if he's just doing what Roger did in the ways Roger did.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I like to believe their can-do attitude is about where the similarities end. They both have very similar dreams and thoughts on the subject of freedom but hopefully not much more character wise

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dordreff posted:

Yeah it would super suck if it turns out Luffy is just literally retreading Roger's path step for step, including having the same powers. It would be pretty much completely against the whole thing of Luffy breaking down the world's systems and causing huge upheaval if he's just doing what Roger did in the ways Roger did.

I've had a bad feeling about this, honestly. It does feel like it's been laid out that "THE TRUE SUCCESSOR TO ROGER" would have to make the same journey he did and essentially fit the same mold as he did.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

I like to believe their can-do attitude is about where the similarities end.

They also have the same hat.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

LostRook posted:

They also have the same hat.

But Rogers wore a different hat when he was pirate king, having already given the hat to Shanks as seen in flashbacks.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

dordreff posted:

I don't think Luffy being able to hear sea kings and having conquerors haki like Roger cheapens his journey at all. Sure the straw hat is a little much, but what else do we know about Roger compared to Luffy? They have somewhat similar personalities and fearsome strength, they both went to Skypeia, and had a ship made at Water 7.

I agree that it would be awful if Luffy is retreading all of Roger's steps, but I don't think that's the case. I'm sure Roger made an impact on many of the islands Luffy did, but he also made multiple journeys through the Grand Line so he couldn't have had the same journey. He definitely didn't have the same effect as Luffy, like an equivalent of destroying Enies Lobby, escaping Impel Down, and punching a Celestial Dragon.

There are a lot of parallels between the two, and I think that's important because it conveys the idea that you need certain qualities to become the Pirate King. I also think the main difference between the two is that ultimately Roger couldn't topple the World Government whereas Luffy has continually been at odds with them and will eventually change the world for the better. Sure, Roger changed the world, too, and many would argue that more pirates isn't a good thing, however it did lay the groundwork for Luffy's rise.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Sorry, spoilers above were fake. :(

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Dunked On!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Crazyeyes posted:

I like to believe their can-do attitude is about where the similarities end. They both have very similar dreams and thoughts on the subject of freedom but hopefully not much more character wise

they both ate the gum gum fruit

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Luffy seems to be inheriting Roger's will just like Sabo inherited Ace's will.

Roger couldn't do anything with what he learned at Raftel, so he threw his dreams to the next generation in the hopes that someone would fulfill them.

The implications of "inherited will" have yet to be fully explained and probably aren't as boring an adventure as reincarnation or time travel or Blackbeard fetuses.

That's how I feel about it, anyway.

Julias posted:

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Dunked On!

There's an emote for that. :dunkedon:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dordreff posted:

I mean while he might be following the exact course its entirely possible roger had visited Wano before Skypiea considering he had the one person capable of marking them and writing in that language in his crew when he was there

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Damnit it was too good to be true.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Shoren posted:

You're right, I misinterpreted that, but still, I disagree. By that logic, Zoro's role is redundant because Luffy is also really good at beating things up. While Robin can read poneglyphs, it's not her whole purpose for existing. She's an archaeologist who wants to learn the world's history, not just read all the poneglyphs. I don't recall Luffy ever actually hearing a poneglyph, but even if he did would he or the crew understand it? Robin's been the one explaining a lot of this stuff to the crew so she's absolutely needed if Luffy is going to surpass Roger.

So she's somehow going to learn the world's history by not reading poneglyphs? She doesn't really contribute in fights anymore, she is great for occasional comedy but the crew themselves get less out of that than we do since a lot of those recent comedic interactions weren't even stated out loud.

Zoro is redundant because Luffy is magically going to beat up every single character in opposition to him in One piece? If that's the case pretty much 7/8ths of the manga is redundant. Analogies are cool, when they work.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 10, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Damnit it was too good to be true.

I really, really want to see Vegapunk honestly. It should be happening somewhat soon too given Tashigi and the giant kids are headed to him now. If not, he'll probably show up when the Straw Hats encounter Kuma again. I'd like to see Zoro vs Kuma part 2.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Ubiquitus posted:

So she's somehow going to learn the world's history by not reading poneglyphs? She doesn't really contribute in fights anymore, she is great for occasional comedy but the crew themselves get less out of that than we do since a lot of those recent comedic interactions weren't even stated out loud.

Zoro is redundant because Luffy is magically going to beat up every single character in opposition to him in One piece? If that's the case pretty much 7/8ths of the manga is redundant. Analogies are cool, when they work.

We don't know for certain that the poneglyphs are the only source of information for the world's ancient history, but for conversation's sake I'll concede that Robin's dream essentially boils down to reading all the poneglyphs. But again, Robin is necessary because even if Luffy could "read" the poneglyphs that still doesn't mean that A) he would understand them, B) he would care what they're saying, C) he would accurately convey the information to his crew, and D) someone in his crew could understand the overarching importance of them.

Roger didn't make it to Raftel until he was much older than Luffy and had been all over the Grand Line. Even with his unique ability I don't think he would have found the island if he was as young and reckless as Luffy is now without someone like Robin. Heck, I don't think Luffy would have figured out the poneglyphs were even talking to him for a long time let alone understanding their meanings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

oddium posted:

they both ate the gum gum fruit

No he didn't (that we know of).