Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Solemn Sloth posted:

Secretary of the department of Australia for Australians

Recent comparisons of immigration detention centres to ‘gulags’; suggestions that detention involves a “public numbing and indifference” similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany; and persistent suggestions that detention facilities are places of ‘torture’ are highly offensive, unwarranted and plainly wrong – and yet they continue to be made in some quarters.

Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Graic Gabtar posted:

However you are discussing something different now aren't you?

Yes that's right Nazi Germany only "allegedly" gassed the Jews

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Solemn Sloth posted:

Are you saying that there is a “public numbing and indifference” similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany?

Not really, and to me not a great comparison. There have been endless column inches devoted to how terrible this all is. A daily trip to the ABC website demonstrates that a disproportional amount of content is devoted to it. People are just making their own judgement. Whatever their reasoning (which obviously you can debate until the cows come home) they are making it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Secretary of the department of Australia for Australians

Recent comparisons of immigration detention centres to ‘gulags’; suggestions that detention involves a “public numbing and indifference” similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany; and persistent suggestions that detention facilities are places of ‘torture’ are highly offensive, unwarranted and plainly wrong – and yet they continue to be made in some quarters.

I'd really rather call you a liar than deal with the fact I just found the official release from ABF that says exactly what you posted here. gently caress.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Paying Cambodia $55m to take two refugees is a good deal.

For Cambodia.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Bomb Cambodia

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Then offer to take their refugees

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Recoome posted:

The misdirection is complete.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Recoome posted:

It is important to include the "alleged" qualifier before any conviction is reached by a co-

-oh.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

im permabanned poster Endman. i first started reading AusPol when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "stop the boats" and "first dog on the moon is funny" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of AusPol humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" AusPol to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

There was actually a time where people on this forum enjoyed reading first dog though.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The nbn site is really really bad, is there any way at all to see when they expect to have service available in an area? I've seen the map, having a brown box saying they started doesn't tell you when they started or when they expect to finish

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
There's http://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/map, but they will be working with the same data.

If you're in a remediation area, there's basically no way of knowing for sure when you'll be able to switch over until it's done. The whole thing is a clusterfuck, because they just don't know how much work will be required to get the infrastructure bought from Telstra to get it up to scratch. It's also apparently incredibly hard to get installers to show up to even 50% of their appointments.

If you're getting FTTN/VDSL, it'll be even worse again as that can't really co-exist with current ADSL services in the way that FTTP can, and cutting over several hundred customers in a reasonable timeframe will be very hard.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I remember an Energex worker doing some stuff on my street I got chatting to one day. Apparently my house was supposed to get NBN by December!

It was June 2013 :suicide:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Every house will have 25mbit by the end of 2016.... Good luck with that, I'm still not even on the 3 year plan and I'm in mcteirnan's electorate

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Malcolm: Mates can you help, this scab is being picked open again and bloods strarting to leak out.

quote:

The NSW Liberals have formally called on the Turnbull government to conduct public debates about climate change - including whether the science is settled - in a stark reminder of the deep divisions within the party over the issue.

A motion passed at the party's state council calls on the government to "arrange and hold public debates/discussions" between scientists from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and "independent climate scientists".

The motion says the events should cover "the global warming/climate change debate"; "the claims by the IPCC"; and the statement "is all the science settled".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-liberals-call-for-national-debates-on-climate-change-science-20160307-gnd3zn.html#ixzz42J13XEYm
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I think they meant to say independent climate :airquote:scientists:airquote:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

quote:

Taxpayers foot $10,000-plus bill for families of Liberal MPs to spend a weekend in 'unspoilt paradise' of Cocos Islands

Taxpayers have footed the bill for family members of two Coalition MPs to fly to one of Australia's farthest-flung territories, the idyllic Cocos Islands in the Indian Ocean, for a weekend stay.

The $10,000-plus bill to fly the wife and two daughters of Western Australian Liberal Luke Simpkins and the husband of Northern Territory Country Liberal Natasha Griggs to and from the tropical islands is the equivalent of a business-class round trip ticket to Honolulu for each of the four family members.

Department of Finance records show Ms Griggs' husband Paul flew from Darwin to Cocos via Perth and Christmas Island at a cost of $4385. The bill for Mr Simpkins' wife Kelly and two daughters to travel from Perth via Christmas Island was $5100.

Fairfax Media revealed last month that Mr Simpkins visited a Polish coal mine in which he owns shares during a $5000 publicly funded "study tour" of Europe last year.

Between them, Mr Simpkins and Ms Griggs claimed $5756 in "travelling allowance" during their time on Cocos and Christmas Islands in April last year for two public hearings of the parliamentary inquiry into Australia's administration of its Indian Ocean territories.
Air fares for family members to Cocos, a coral atoll of 27 islands with a population of about 600 that bills itself as "Australia's last unspoilt paradise", appear to have been funded under "family reunion" provisions of the controversial parliamentary entitlements system overseen by Finance.

The system fell under the spotlight in 2013 when the late Don Randall, a WA Liberal, spent $5000 to fly with his wife on "electorate business" to Cairns where they had bought an investment property.
Questions have been raised about the appropriateness of using family reunion to Cocos because travel records suggest Mr Simpkins and Ms Griggs both spent the previous week in their electorates.
All family members flew back to the mainland on Monday April 6, a day before the first official engagement of the joint standing committee on the national capital and external territories, of which Mr Simpkins is chairman and Ms Griggs a member.
They stayed until April 10, when a VIP Challenger jet operated by the Air Force flew the committee and three staff back to Perth and Canberra at a cost of $35,000.

And so on and so forth...

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...308-gndpnf.html

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao at this pace, Bill Shorten will be PM. Turdball is just absolutely suffocating in negative press. Jesus Christ it's like watching a Jeep try to swim.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Negligent posted:

Paying Cambodia $55m to take two refugees is a good deal.

For Cambodia.

For the record, this is what a $55million yacht looks like:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's OK, because we could cram a bazillion illegal entrants on that thing and ship them back to Indonesia in unparalleled luxury.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Recoome posted:

Doesn't the wording imply that the numbing effect is what is being alleged? '“public numbing and indifference” similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany' sure seems like it refers to the numbing. If there's some kind of history that would make people assume otherwise then sure, but otherwise I don't see it in the wording itself.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Gorilla Salad posted:

yeah but there's two of them. so their yachts have to be $27.5 million each.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have no idea why anyone would want to own this.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

You could buy like 55 really nice houses and hardly any of them would sink or get stolen by pirates

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's a holiday in Cambodia, It's tough kid but it's life.

Could Bill Shorten actually be a competent political operator? How many ministers has he managed to take out since the Turnbull ascension?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Laserface posted:

I have no idea why anyone would want to own this.

Bond Villain's holiday home.

Looks like we're getting closer to it being ON

quote:

Federal ministers have confirmed the Government is actively considering bringing the budget forward, ahead of an early election.
Key points:

Ministers have told ABC the Government is looking at handing down the budget on May 3, instead of May 10.

One minister said it would help clear the path for a double dissolution election on July 2.

They have to go sooner rather than later - Turnbull has no clothes and the public is waking up to this fact. Abbott is waiting for a loss and to have all his sins forgiven.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

-A man most famous for undermining a woman.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Haha, what the gently caress did he do to his hair.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

Completely agree, but how? I'd love to live in the middle of nowhere with enough land to ride dirt bikes, fire guns etc but employment is a problem.
To paraphrase your earlier comments on this issue and send them back at you: If you can't get a job, stop being a non-contributive slob and get a job.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Haha, what the gently caress did he do to his hair.

Have you seen Donald Trump?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Malcolm Turnbull is right. It is an exciting time to be alive. Tony Abbott has been white-anting Malcolm's tenuous grip on power, then he likely leaked some classified documents, so Turnbull's people have hit back with the Abbott-Credlin affair claim, which is now being vehemently denied. Meanwhile, the LNP backbench is supporting the bullying of gay students as a way to astroturf against the marriage equality plebiscite that the High Court said we do not need. All of this swirling before our very eyes in the most public of matters. The Coalition is in chaos.

Surprisingly, the catalyst for the current chaos is that most captivating and inspiring human endeavours: taxation policy.
You see, back when the government was riding high in the polls, some of the Coalition bright sparks decided that raising the GST rate might be a good idea because... I don't know. I don't really have an explanation why the same people who profess a love for smaller government and who ran the 2013 election on a platform of repealing a "great big new tax on everything" decided that trying to impose an even greater, bigger new tax on everything was a good idea.

There was an expectedly little amount of support for raising the GST while other fairer and more targeted measures of revenue raising went unexplored. With their single idea shot down however, the Coalition threw its hands up and looked into further tax reform the same way Ned Flanders' parents looked into discipline - they tried nothing and were all out of ideas.

It is at this time that the Coalition's policy of being "sitting ducks" led to them being blindsided and broadsided by that famous admiral of good politicking... Bill Shorten?

While Malcolm Turnbull was twiddling is thumbs like Homer Simpson waiting for a meteorite, the ALP surprised everyone with a coherent and rational policy restricting negative gearing to new houses and reducing the CGT discount.

What does this mean? In a nutshell, negative gearing involves borrowing to invest in property such that the rental income received is less than your rental expenses. This creates a tax loss which can be used to reduce tax paid on other sources of income such as wages.

In Australia, individuals making a capital gain on the sale of an investment property are only taxed on 50% of the capital gain they make. This is the "CGT discount."

It is presently a viable investment strategy in Australia to negatively gear your investment in property (ie make a rental loss) to take advantage of that property's capital growth which is taxed at a reduced rate upon sale. You're effectively betting that the profit you make on the sale of the property at a future point is enough to offset the rental losses you make in the interim (which have the present benefit of reducing your tax bill).

This tax policy setting encourages speculative investment in property, creating the kind of capital growth necessary for the investment strategy to be viable. It also artificially inflates the value of housing and supports some absurd levels of price increases in places like Sydney.

The proposed change to negative gearing applies restricts it to new properties from 2017 and raises $32 billion over ten years. This is a great policy which will make it easier for young people to eventually purchase their own houses. It's going to take a good deal speculative investment out of the housing market. It's such a good policy that I didn't believe the ALP came up with it.

(Compare the tax policy to Labor's education policy, titled "Your Child, Our Future." I don't know what the policy means. I don't know what it accomplishes. I think it means restoring the planned Gonski funding, but I'm not entirely sure. All the hallmarks of a policy the ALP came up with itself.)

The fact is that The Greens actually came up with the negative gearing reforms before the 2015 budget (the CGT discount appears to be an ALP original concept, albeit one that I've talked about for years). But no matter, good policy is good policy. The smart move for the government was to itself copy what is widely regarded as a sound policy proposal. Alternatively, they could have attacked the plan by saying that the policy doesn't go too far enough, and proposing to legislate a more forceful solution. After all, the Coalition has spent years talking up how much repair the federal finances need.

This in fact was the initial response from Turnbull and Scott Morrison to Labor's policy announcement. was said that Labor's proposal didn't raise enough money, and maybe that's true. After all, government net debt has increased from $161.1 billion in 2013 (under the Rudd government) to $254.8 billion as of a couple of months ago. Indeed, the Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook projects that government net debt will increase to $300 billion in 3 years. In such circumstances, maybe the CGT discount should be lower, and maybe negative gearing should be removed from all houses.

Alas, the housing industry made known its displeasure, and Malcolm decided against coming up with a more effective policy than the ALP. Instead, the Coalition came up with a series of increasingly desperate and farfetched reasons to pour cold water on what is widely regarded as a sound proposal. In the process, Turnbull and Morrison have absolutely shattered whatever was left of their credibility handling economic matters.

• Scare Campaign No. 1: "The housing market will crash" WRONG
    The housing market won't crash because there is strong underlying demand in major population centres. The proposed reforms discourage speculative investment, but the continued availability of cheap credit, growing population and infrastructure in major urban centres will support prices for some time. Prices are unlikely to rise at the insane rate of the last five years, which is good for young prospective buyers, but the market won't crash, which is good for owners and the building industry.

• Scare Campaign No. 2: "House prices will go up" WRONG-ISH
    This is what Kelly O'Dwyer said after completely misreading the LNP talking points. It is indeed possible that in the run up to say July 2017, speculators cause a short-term rise in the price of existing dwellings to take advantage of the grandfathering provisions. But then they fall. Suffice to say, this strategy was quickly swept under the rug.

• Scare Campaign No. 3: "Businesses will stop investing"
    SO WRONG IT HURTS
    The last, desperate ploy tried on by Malcolm was to try and link the removal of negative gearing of housing to businesses no longer negatively gearing their business assets. This is a ridiculously dumb argument because companies don't negatively gear as an investment strategy because they can't take advantage of the CGT discount. When Malcolm is talking about businesses "negatively gearing," he actually means "making a loving loss." That's an insane business strategy and a testament to what kind of a shambles the government is in.

Remember why this issue became prominent in the first place. The proposed reforms are a means of addressing the housing market, which many young people feel locked out of. It's also a means of addressing a structural problem in the budget.
But what would the Coalition know about economic management? Since taking power, the Liberal government has added $90 billion to government net debt. This is a debt-and-deficit disaster of their own making.

This is a government which wanted to charge for doctor appointments, but didn't want to fix negative gearing or other tax lurks for the wealthy.

This is a government which, stealing a policy idea directly from the Simpsons, introduced a "temporary budget repair levy" which remains in effect for two years. Yet they won't fix negative gearing.

This is a government which wanted to have a greater, bigger new 15% GST rate on everything, but won't cut subsidies to multinational fossil fuel producers.

Even when the government was contemplating measures to raise revenue, it was simultaneously looking to fritter that money away. Scott Morrison, a man who somehow makes Joe Hockey look like Ross Gittins, proposed that the extra revenue from an increased GST be handed back to wealthier Australians by making higher income tax brackets kick in later. This would be done ostensibly to reduce "bracket creep."

The problem with this proposal is that bracket creep is absolutely not a problem right now. Inflation has stalled, wages have stalled, people's incomes are growing at one of the slowest rates in history. Bracket creep isn't the problem, the government having zero clue and zero credibility on economic management is the problem.

The policies the government wants to enact are garbage and won't be tolerated by the public. The policies they should enact would make the economy fairer and won't be tolerated by LNP donors. Malcolm Turnbull has this painted himself into a corner. It has nothing to offer except empty platitudes which sound "exciting" or "agile," while the government remains the complete opposite.

In fields such economics, health, infrastructure, industry, communications - the government lacks any kind of accomplishment.
I guess we're getting some submarines we probably don't need, but even the government's own members can't agree on how these should be acquired.

Surely Malcolm is the right man to steer the government through this maelstrom. After all, so many people on the left professed to like Malcolm despite the party he belongs to.

Your trust is misplaced. Malcolm Turnbull is a loser. He has a long history of losing. He lost the republic debate. He lost as opposition leader. He lost the ability to improve the NBN. He lost the argument to legislate marriage equality in his own party room. He has lost all claim to being a good economic manager.

For reasons which include more luck than skill, he may yet hold on at the coming election. But he has lost the fig-leaf of competence and his veneer of authority. All that remains is a run-of-the-mill conman, a smooth talker in a leather jacket.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
some of you might have noticed that Albo has stepped up his attacks on the the Greens from the usual Labor lines to red baiting (which is hilarious, coming from a high profile member of the so called "Socialist Left" faction of the ALP) to finally just making poo poo up and claiming the Greens are going to preference the Libs. Unsurprisingly such a preference deal only exists in the heads of Labor brokens.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jim-casey-greens/message-from-the-nsw-greens-campaign-coordinator-on-preferences/1681288005493989

Honestly this is quite a clever move by Labor politically. If we run open tickets or the Liberals preference us above Labor (as they used to before figuring we posed too much of a threat), they'll claim this was true all along, and if we preference Labor, they'll claim that it was only because they "exposed" us. In reality, preferences are decided by local groups rather than some shadowy head office, we have never preferenced the Liberals - something Labor certainly can't claim - and famed "good guy, have a beer with him" Albanese is flat out inventing bullshit for political gain.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

some of you might have noticed that Albo has stepped up his attacks on the the Greens from the usual Labor lines to red baiting (which is hilarious, coming from a high profile member of the so called "Socialist Left" faction of the ALP) to finally just making poo poo up and claiming the Greens are going to preference the Libs. Unsurprisingly such a preference deal only exists in the heads of Labor brokens.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jim-casey-greens/message-from-the-nsw-greens-campaign-coordinator-on-preferences/1681288005493989

Honestly this is quite a clever move by Labor politically. If we run open tickets or the Liberals preference us above Labor (as they used to before figuring we posed too much of a threat), they'll claim this was true all along, and if we preference Labor, they'll claim that it was only because they "exposed" us. In reality, preferences are decided by local groups rather than some shadowy head office, we have never preferenced the Liberals - something Labor certainly can't claim - and famed "good guy, have a beer with him" Albanese is flat out inventing bullshit for political gain.

Thankyou for #greensplaining that.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Lid posted:

-A man most famous for undermining a woman.

A woman that did it to him first. Rudd clearly believes in equal treatment.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatfatkid posted:

A woman that did it to him first. Rudd clearly believes in equal treatment.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Rudd's attacks against Gillard weren't because she was a woman or about her being a woman.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mr Chips posted:

There's http://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/map, but they will be working with the same data.

If you're in a remediation area, there's basically no way of knowing for sure when you'll be able to switch over until it's done. The whole thing is a clusterfuck, because they just don't know how much work will be required to get the infrastructure bought from Telstra to get it up to scratch. It's also apparently incredibly hard to get installers to show up to even 50% of their appointments.

If you're getting FTTN/VDSL, it'll be even worse again as that can't really co-exist with current ADSL services in the way that FTTP can, and cutting over several hundred customers in a reasonable timeframe will be very hard.

Yah my parents want to move somewhere because its brown on those maps but like the internet there is currently unusable according to internet searches

apparently its so bad there aren't enough ports for people who move in to connect and theres a waiting list that only moves forward when someone moves away :laffo:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Radar glitch requires F-35 fighter jet pilots to turn it off and on again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you tried oh... you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Birdstrike posted: