Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

EightAce posted:

yes of course they will have done due diligence. However they will only have seen the actual cash in the bank and revenue stream back when the finances were a bit healthier. Remember that (None German) auditors are only interested in what they can see as tangible assets and revenue as they know the square root of gently caress all about game development etc.They simply wouldn't know where to look for warning signs ......... like this forum for example.

The right accountant can get the books to read any way they want within reason of course.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Sgt. Briar posted:

Hello commandos o7, I have lurked this thread for about 2 weeks and have come to the conclusion that Star Citizen is the greatest scam of all time, and thus this thread that chronicles the shameless denials of a thousand cultists is also the best thread of all time. What an age we live in :gary:

but I got a question. The robber baron behind this grand scheme "Crobberts" seems to be a rather enigmatic figure, can anyone tell me about his horrible misadventures in the gaming/film industry before his current master plan? Am willing to pay in cat picture(s)

After wing commander he made a studio called digital anvil. Over promised and managed it into the ground. He was frog marched out of the office by the publisher. He went to hollwood made a bad movie called Wig Commander and got sued to the tune of 8 million by costner and lost.

He was frog marched out of hollywood and came back grovelling to nerds for more money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

Just delta patch it you loving dipshit. It's a software technique that's existed for generations, can be pulled off by first year CS students, and completely avoids any issue concerning concatenated files or whatever. At worst, you have to give it a window into your encryption/compression. "We're still trying to figure it out, here's your second 30 GB update today."
That's just it, I think. They're too paranoid about their unique and unprecedented stuff being stolen (or, more accurately and much worse, explored by someone competent) that they can't let the client have access to anything that lets you manipulate the PAKs. They must be encrypted and packaged CIG-side, rather than just have the patcher collect a couple of updated files and stick them into the pre-existing package, because otherwise people would be able to intercept those files and look at them. The horror!

I mean, sure, during the development stage, there is absolutely no reason for any sane or sensible developer to even use the PAK format — just spew files all over the install directory and update whatever tiny XML file needs updating — but that would mean everyone could just look at what they're producing and what the patches are actually updating and quickly spot that it's all BS. It's far easier (and psychologically advantageous) to maintain the illusion of having a complex thruster-physics system if you feed the player huge patches for every ship update, rather than a single XML file that just lists a few x/y/z/yaw/pitch/roll clamping values.

Sappo569 posted:

Catte also didn't get any.

There will be consequences to this betrayal. I hope you realise that.

BadOptics posted:

The Canterbury Tales are easier to follow than this poo poo and it's written in Middle English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

intardnation posted:

He went to hollwood made a bad movie called Wig Commander

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

EightAce posted:

Thats because he had absolutely nothing to do with Starlancer

Really?

Sgt. Briar
Jun 28, 2014

intardnation posted:

After wing commander he made a studio called digital anvil. Over promised and managed it into the ground. He was frog marched out of the office by the publisher. He went to hollwood made a bad movie called Wig Commander and got sued to the tune of 8 million by costner and lost.

He was frog marched out of hollywood and came back grovelling to nerds for more money.

Thank you commando, it is rather baffling that people actually trusted this hack because he made 1?? maybe more good games and then a series of poo poo, anyway

i am now contractually obligated to post cats so here you go

this is lavender. she was a rescue cat, got her when she was about 7 weeks old. this is a super old image, like a bit after we first got her so she's super small

this is a lovely image of her that's a few months old. looks like she's permanently frowning these days lmao. also ignore the battlefield mouse that was a terrible purchase. dont have any more recent images but i can take one later if people want. her current hobbies include: sunbaking, sneak attacks and hiding from strangers

also there was a giant white cat i saw at work once. it was real weird. here it is

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

I like it, alternatively you could use mini airhorns pointing in different directions (or Paaaaaarp-horns, but I don't think Gary's head would be recognizable in tiny white contours)

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Rescue cats are great! all mine have been rescue.

CR holds the power of Wing Commander something a lot of older gamers now hold dear for some reason. And despite his previous failures they overlook that and see the kid that made the game they loved as a kid as well. They forget the faults of the game and live in nostalgia land.
The stimperor feeds off this and fuels his imagination of what could be and how it could triple every second and how it will never be wrong or go bad.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

Oh, there will be, and if your ship is uninsured, you lose it forever. Have fun ragdolling to your permanent death in a horrible clipping incident as some DIRTY GRIEFERphysics glitch ramsbreaks your ship on the pad, erasing it from your inventory.

I assure you that by the time the game ships, every ship will be insured. Star Citizen is clearly not Eve, and will never be. I doubt the game will ever be stable enough for players to feel confidant that they are at fault for any loss. Imagine undocking in a ship worth hundreds of dollars, change the IFCS, launch at full speed, clip the side of the station, and explode. It isn't worth the customer service queues, meltdowns, and death threats it would generate.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Changing hairs and changing chins truly the stimperor is the best.

Sgt. Briar
Jun 28, 2014

intardnation posted:

Rescue cats are great! all mine have been rescue.

CR holds the power of Wing Commander something a lot of older gamers now hold dear for some reason. And despite his previous failures they overlook that and see the kid that made the game they loved as a kid as well. They forget the faults of the game and live in nostalgia land.
The stimperor feeds off this and fuels his imagination of what could be and how it could triple every second and how it will never be wrong or go bad.

it must be lovely living in a dream realm where nothing bad happens, life is bliss, you get all the jpeg ships you want, and

edit: yes rescue cats are rad. been thinking about getting another one to keep lav company but i think she's too old to really accept another catte? i dunno im not knowledgeable on this stuff

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

EightAce posted:

People are still being paid, what can I say.

from a scale of Locust to Daishi in Battletech mechs..how big is Ben Lesnick?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

EminusSleepus posted:

I think he's an Atlas, but there's still some leeway.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:five: :lol: :yarg:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 7, 2016

EightAce
May 10, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

Left for dead's 'Boomer'

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hopper posted:

I like it, alternatively you could use mini airhorns pointing in different directions (or Paaaaaarp-horns, but I don't think Gary's head would be recognizable in tiny white contours)

SVG v2

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

darkarchon posted:

I think he's an Atlas, but there's still some leeway.

Atlas has long arms but look at the Daishi

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

Id go with the Awesome.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/49hdyk/a_glorious_day_to_be_a_dr_dr_smart_archiver/

I want to put Dr. Dr. Smart Archiver on my CV

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
reference:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

intardnation posted:

Wing Commander the movie was made while Roberts still ran Digital Anvil. DA actually did the digital effects for WC.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Toops posted:

Thanks dude! Nvidia's PhysX engine is fantastic, and comes native to Unity and UE. The guys that designed it are way smarter than I'll ever be, so I try to let PhysX do all the real work. I think of the ship as a simple sphere with mass, then just push on it with forces and twist it with torque. Contrast this with CryEngine which doesn't use PhysX, and CIG's ultima-fidelity-online approach, and tbh I'm impressed CIG's FM is as good as it is. It's immeasurably more complex to do individual thruster forces, and it's a wonder those ships fly at all. Literally every ship CIG makes needs its own custom physics-based flight model code, whereas I can use the same exact script, just tune the parameters, and get a completely different feeling ship based on those params alone. The time saved could be, oh, I don't know, spent working on the actual GAME?

The way I designed the flight model was just forces, torques, and per-axis dampening. When I pull in a new ship model, I just slap the FlightController on there and specify the forces for each direction of flight. Each direction also has a "damping" value, so (theoretically) you can "reduce" the net force in a given direction. Say if your main thrusters get damaged or something, you'd take forceDampeningZ from 1 to 2. Now you have half the force. I haven't found cause to use it yet, because although I register where ramming damage came from, the damage model doesn't care atm. All damage is created equal. If at some point if feels like that would add to the experience, I'll hook it up. But it's good enough for now just to have the hooks flapping around free. I try not to pre-solve problems, or add features "just because" unless the game feels like it needs it.

Then I jacked E:D's "flight assist" idea, so if you're moving but not thrusting in a given direction, the flight model applies a force opposite that direction of travel until you stop. So if you're strafing left, and you stop strafing, your ship will "strafe right" to counteract your velocity until it reaches 0. The only direction this isn't true for is forward/reverse. It feels really good to kind of "power coast" through space.

As for pitch/yaw/roll, same deal. There's a torque value per axis, and a "dampening" value. I set the torque values for each axis to limit rotation in certain directions (another Elite feature). You can pitch (rotate around x axis) much faster than you can yaw (rotate around z-axis). This naturally encourages you to roll your ship and pitch, because looking left and right feels too slow. But it also gives the ship a feeling of weight, and puts you in pilot-problem-solving mode, which I find more fun that twitch-turret-in-space mode. The net result feels way better to me than freelook noclip wallhax mode in SC.

The final bit was "boost," which is just as simple as adding an impulse force in the forward direction. In PhysX, you have several different force types. The one used for thrusters is just generic constant Force:

code:
rigidbody.AddForce(someValue, ForceMode.Force)
but you can add a "blast" of force (which handles jerk values) by:

code:
rigidbody.AddForce(someValue, ForceMode.Impulse)
PhysX handles the rest. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

You can also disable the "flight assist", and you'll get the "decoupled" or "KSP" mode, which is as simple as flipping a boolean to false, and the "anti-velocity" logic won't act on the body. The Neutron Paaarp Horn will temporarily disable people's flight assist if they're in the blast radius. So once again, I spent the time coding it this way to satisfy a gameplay requirement.

The only place things get hairy is working with rotation, really. Rotation is expressed as a Quaternion (4-dimensional projection of 3-dimensional rotation), which has literally no application to reality whatsoever, and so solutions aren't always intuitive.

Jesus loving effortpost man. I hope that wasn't boring.

I'm quoting it all in case anyone missed it, this is pro read. First of all let me start by saying that your radar is awesome and very effective at giving useful information at a glance.

Second, you are the living proof that some of the things CIG are proposing to do are so stupid that it doesn't take previous experience is games development to see how retarded it all is. the thread had discussed in the past how to go about designing the ships and movement and it's obvious to anyone with a couple of brain cells that the way you are doing things is the logical one.

Begin by designing how the ships will handle. It doesn't mater what they look like, they can be cubes with "fighter" or "trader" written on the side, at this point you are just polishing their movement. After you have the movement right you pass your cube to the artists and tell them «we have this cube, see how it handles? Make it look like a fighter, include two cannons and a missile bay and put the thrusters wherever it looks realistic for how it moves». This way the artists have complete freedom to make whatever looks best because they know exactly how it's supposed to handle. If they need to change anything in the future there is no problem, the flight engine is completely separate from how it looks.
After you got the ship moving and looking exactly how you want you can then go for the extra fidelity if you feel like it. Place some hit boxes over the thrusters and if they get hit you can affect how the ship handles. The key here is that first you twitch the flight engine to handle exactly how you want a ship that lost a port side thruster until it feels right and then you twitch the art (remove the thruster, animate damage) until it looks right. It's infinitely easier to do it this way because you don't need rocket scientists to design your ships and you don't need to gently caress with everything any time someone wants to add remove an extra seat. The player can never tell that it's being faked by looking at it because it all feels and looks as it should.

Instead of doing the logical they went the retarded way of beginning the making the art and then trying to get ships that were designed with no concern for the laws of physics to behave like you want them. And since for some ships that is just straight out impossible (Scythe) and the rest would take so much trouble that it ends up being impossible in practice they end up having to fake everything anyway. But since their flight model is now tied down to this "simulate individual thrusters" model they end up having to fake everything by giving the thrusters made up power and loving around with invisible thrusters.
They gave themselves an impossible task with the goal of achieving something trivial and then not only did they waste a retarded amount of money doing it, they can't get poo poo to either look or feel right and have poisoned all future development with this model. They are hosed. And why? Because Chris Roberts is an idiot. You don't need to be the loving Einstein of games development to see that all of this poo poo is retarded. The man is an idiot, looks like an idiot, talks like and idiot and people keep throwing money at him. Good loving lord, why can't I come up with a scam like this?

Nation posted:

What a total joke - they had a literal stage this weekend to show anything at all instead they post a quarter of an image on reddit lol
It couldn't be more transparent and these idiots trip all over themselves to praise them.

Norefund14days posted:

SO Derek is actually Eight Ace....Eight Ace is Derek? Plot thickens...lol
Approximately 42 out of 100 DS posts make reference to his July blog.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 8, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Why does the stigma remain so strong for SC?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

He's definitely in the 100-tonner range, for sure. Like a King Crab with a littler Urbanmech head perched on top.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

I'm quoting it all in case anyone missed it, this is pro read. First of all let me start by saying that your radar is awesome and very effective at giving useful information at a glance.

Second, you are the living proof that some of the things CIG are proposing to do are so stupid that it doesn't take previous experience is games development to see how retarded it all is. the thread had discussed in the past how to go about designing the ships and movement and it's obvious to anyone with a couple of brain cells that the way you are doing things is the logical one.

Begin by designing how the ships will handle. It doesn't mater what they look like, they can be cubes with "fighter" or "trader" written on the side, at this point you are just polishing their movement. After you have the movement right you pass your cube to the artists and tell them «we have this cube, see how it handles? Make it look like a fighter, include two cannons and a missile bay and put the thrusters wherever it looks realistic for how it moves». This way the artists have complete freedom to make whatever looks best because they know exactly how it's supposed to handle. If they need to change anything in the future there is no problem, the flight engine is completely separate from how it looks.
After you got the ship moving and looking exactly how you want you can then to for the extra fidelity if you feel like it. Place some hit boxes over the thrusters and if they get hit you can affect how the ship handles. The key here is that first you twitch the flight engine to handle exactly how you want a ship that lost a port side thruster until it feels right and then you twitch the art (remove the thruster, animate damage) until it looks right. It's infinitely easier to do it this way because you don't need rocket scientists to design your ships and you don't need to gently caress with everything any time someone wants to add remove an extra seat. The player can never tell that it's being faked by looking at it because it all feels and looks as it should.

Instead of doing the logical they went the retarded way of beginning the making the art and then trying to get ships that were designed with no concern for the laws of physics to behave like you want them. And since for some ships that is just straight out impossible (Scythe) and the rest would take so much trouble that it ends up being impossible in practice they end up having to fake everything anyway. But since their flight model is now tied down to this "simulate individual thrusters" model they end up having to fake everything by giving the thrusters made up power and loving around with invisible thrusters.
They gave themselves an impossible task with the goal of achieving something trivial and then not only did they waste a retarded amount of money doing it, they can't get poo poo to either look or feel right and have poisoned all future development with this model. They are hosed. And why? Because Chris Roberts is an idiot. You don't need to be the loving Einstein of games development to see that all of this poo poo is retarded. The man is an idiot, looks like an idiot, talks like and idiot and people keep throwing money at him. Good loving lord, why can't I come up with a scam like this?

Someone posted this quote a while ago: "Our approach to making games is to find the fun first and then use the technology to enhance the fun." ~ Sid Meier

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

it's just like the early throes of bitcoin when everyone wanted to spread the good word. We're slowly approaching pass-the-holding-bag stage

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gorf for thread historian

may your beard get long and white with age as you tell wide eyed children who are barely listening because they are jacked into the VR

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.

orcinus posted:

The Stimpire got to me.

A few pages back, but I thought this was awesome. Event Horizon is goofy as hell, but I've always liked it. The Australian flag patch on Sam Neill's jumpsuit has an Australian Aboriginal flag instead of the Union Jack. You can infer all kinds of things from this, but what it really says is that the future portrayed in the movie has a logical history to it. There are reasons for the ridiculous things you are seeing happen, and reasons behind those reasons. In other words, a single design element from another '90s B-movie has more consideration behind its inclusion than the whole of CR's output.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Oh god. I can't imagine how you endured putting that together.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

orcinus posted:

The Stimpire got to me.

This thread should go in some sort of national archive or something

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Id go with the Awesome.

I bet an Awesome would be able to gett off of a sofa.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Daztek posted:

I want to put Dr. Dr. Smart Archiver on my CV

I want to put these people in the care of someone who can fix their brain disorders.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wing Commander the movie was made while Roberts still ran Digital Anvil. DA actually did the digital effects for WC.

WOW didnt realize that. Hubris.

So he over promised drove the studio into the ground and had his brother clean up the mess while he chased dreams in moving pictures?

I dont know the full chronology of CR. I was kinda running off what Eight said a few days ago.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 8, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I bet an Awesome would be able to gett off of a sofa.

I repeat:

Its not a 100-tonner, yes, but its more about shape than weight.
The Atlas is loving buff compared to the awesome despite being heavier. Muscle weighing more than fat and stuff...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EightAce posted:

Thats because he had absolutely nothing to do with Starlancer

quoting an eightace post so I can find him better

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I repeat:

The Atlas is loving buff compared to the awesome despite being heavier. Muscle weighing more than fat and stuff...

Exactly. I don't see a sofa being much of a hindrance to that thing, unlike some other entities we know of…

Also, missed this one!

1:20 out of 20 minutes — that's just 7% filler words by time (but not adjusted for time reading off prepared cue cards). Could be worse… probably. Somehow.

intardnation posted:

WOW didnt realize that. Hubris.

So he over promised drove the studio into the ground and had his brother clean up the mess while he chased dreams in moving pictures?

I dont know the full chronology of CR. I was kinda running off what Eight said a few days ago.

Yes, and when Starlancer was moderately successful (and his film not), he came running back to spread his magic on the sequel. Instead of the success rubbing off on him, though, his design sensibilities rubbed off on it, and he was thrown out of his own company in a desperate (and successful) bid to save the game from him. :D

By the way, if you want to keep track of who did what back then, I'd suggest something Mobygames since the maintainers are pretty anal about directly referencing the actual game and its peripheral materials rather than archived company websites or what someone said once to some out-of-print magazine.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 8, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I repeat:

Yeah but that's not really a great representation of the Awesome to be going with. It's deliberately made short and ultrafat for style purposes, when the traditional Awesome is much less Benlike:

Ben's more like a Stone Rhino (except Stone Rhinos are awesome and I wouldn't want to drive Ben anywhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ooh, or an Annihilator.

• Locked thread