Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The White Dragon posted:

Like I understand the representation argument because I'm in the same boat as Hitler's Gay Secret but at the same time it's like :shrug: If the shoe was on the other foot--mixed race Sebastian or Harvey or Abigail or whoever because someone's dream waifu is that personality on a different race--would you complain? Same idea, different application.

This is essentially the same argument as "Shouldn't it be #alllivesmatter?" and I'll happily judge most people posting in that thread. Not saying they shouldn't be able to or it's a huge deal or I care particularly about if they want to turn everyone into furries or nazis or aliens or whatever.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Is there any properly reliable way to get Iridium? Like for instance, a place where you can buy it? I've gotten to the point where I can just buy copper, gold and iron whenever I need it, but I'm completely stunted when it comes to Iridium. I'm stuck at 1 bar and 3 ore after getting the meteorite and a single lucky spawn in the quarry, and that's after running the lower levels of the mines >10 times.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

The only repeatable source for iridium I've found is the slimes in the second dungeon. They occasionally drop a piece.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Entoloma posted:

By the way don't use salmonberries to make wine or anything even if you can gather hundreds of them. It's worthless! (I guess the wine must really taste that bad!)

Are those kind of like dewberries or is that a mistranslation from my side or just something the game made up?

Because if it is dewberries, holy hell yes, that stuff is awful. Like trying to drink that alcohol you use to clean engines or painted models.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
You occasionally get Iridium from Omni Geodes, but you'd probably need a huge quantity in order to get any measurable amount of Iridium. And Omni Geodes aren't that plentyful to begin with. I guess maybe if you have the miner 10 trait that increases Geode drops, but leveling mining is a pain in the rear end and even halfway through year 2 I'm only on 8.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The best source Ive found for iridium so far are the mega geodes in the skull cave. If you are lucky you might a few ores per every twenty geode.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would ever want a slime hutch. Can you murder your own slimes? I guess I could see the value in raising a bunch of purple ones to slaughter for the chance at an iridium drop.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Princey posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would ever want a slime hutch. Can you murder your own slimes? I guess I could see the value in raising a bunch of purple ones to slaughter for the chance at an iridium drop.

It's so you can replicate the Ultima Online Slime Apocalypse prank :getin:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cicadalek posted:

I wish the trader had a more random inventory. I just now found out, in the Fall of year two, that fiddlehead fern is found only in Summer, and only in the hidden forest at that. The trader doesn't carry it so I guess I'm waiting until year 3 until I finish the community center

Are you sure? I'm certain I bought a fiddlehead fern from the trader last night and I'm in spring of year 2.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I am a truffle short of the community centre... This is so painful, I've got a deluxe coop but only a basic barn.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Magres posted:

It's so you can replicate the Ultima Online Slime Apocalypse prank :getin:

I thought this too. The only explanation I can come up with is to breed the purple slimes and kill half of them every week or so for a chance at iridium drops.

Played the hell out of this game. Was a lot of fun. Hopefully there's more to come.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Can you breed the Starhead Slimes? I known they give extra drops in dungeon.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Last night I tried taking hay out of my bin for the collection, and to basically empty out my silos so I can harvest more grass. Thing is, I can sit there and pull hundreds of stacks of hay out of the bin, but in my inventory it only ever shows up as 1. And if I have 1 in my inventory, any hay I pull disappears into the ether. I think I nuked about 600 pieces of hay last night before I figured this out. How do I actually take out stacks of hay that doesn't involve "Take 1 piece, go put it in a chest, come back, take 1 piece, repeat"?

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Aerox posted:

I had a thunderstorm happen in the first or second week of Fall and got batteries from it.

I just got a battery on the 26th or 27th of fall.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Last night I tried taking hay out of my bin for the collection, and to basically empty out my silos so I can harvest more grass. Thing is, I can sit there and pull hundreds of stacks of hay out of the bin, but in my inventory it only ever shows up as 1. And if I have 1 in my inventory, any hay I pull disappears into the ether. I think I nuked about 600 pieces of hay last night before I figured this out. How do I actually take out stacks of hay that doesn't involve "Take 1 piece, go put it in a chest, come back, take 1 piece, repeat"?

That's possibly a bug. My wife posted about it on the official forums. Basically if you fill the troughs, anything you pull from the hay bins afterwards will ghost stack and you lose the hay. So if you want to take out hay for the storage trick or the bundle, make sure to do it before you fill the troughs with hay.

Absorbs Smaller Goons fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And I've had thunderstorms in spring. I'm sure it's just that thunderstorms are more common in summer.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm liking this so far, although it's my first game of the genre, so I'm not doing super great. I'm considering starting a new file with everything I learn in my first year.

One quick question. I'm nearing the end of my first summer, and have a bunch of melons planted that I have a feeling aren't going to harvest by the end of the month. However, I need one melon to complete a Demitrius quest (I should have saved some, but they sell for so much!). Is there any way to speed growing once something's in the ground?

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Has anyone found some good spots for crab pots or do they all pretty much yield the same stuff?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

nonpromqueen posted:

Has anyone found some good spots for crab pots or do they all pretty much yield the same stuff?

In fresh water they can yield 3 types of fish + trash whereas in the ocean they can yield 7 types + trash

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Fish#Crab_Pot_Fish

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It seems to basically just be Freshwater vs Saltwater.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

sector_corrector posted:

One quick question. I'm nearing the end of my first summer, and have a bunch of melons planted that I have a feeling aren't going to harvest by the end of the month. However, I need one melon to complete a Demitrius quest (I should have saved some, but they sell for so much!). Is there any way to speed growing once something's in the ground?

There is not, no. There are speed-gro fertilizers but they need to be placed before the seed. Maybe get lucky with a faerie showing up but they seem rather rare.

As for crab pots, the only difference is freshwater/seawater and positioning doesn't matter.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm shocked that Maru's race bothered somebody to the point where they modded the game to make her white... Actually it doesn't really surprise me, but I thought the player base of a farming simulator would do better than this.

Started playing this game yesterday and I ended up putting 8 hours into it. I thought the energy and time conservation were good mechanics and required meaningful decision making when planning out the day. It's a really relaxing game in the end.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Vargatron posted:

I'm shocked that Maru's race bothered somebody to the point where they modded the game to make her white... Actually it doesn't really surprise me, but I thought the player base of a farming simulator would do better than this.

Started playing this game yesterday and I ended up putting 8 hours into it. I thought the energy and time conservation were good mechanics and required meaningful decision making when planning out the day. It's a really relaxing game in the end.

Internet.

Better than this.

Hahaha.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

My wife and I total have put 40 hours into this since Thursday. Geez.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
This is a simple question, but I'm having a hard time googling it. Can you put chests outside, and if you can do you need to put them behind a fence or anything?

I ask because I want to set up four chests for just bundle items, but I lack interior space.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Germstore posted:

This is a simple question, but I'm having a hard time googling it. Can you put chests outside, and if you can do you need to put them behind a fence or anything?

I ask because I want to set up four chests for just bundle items, but I lack interior space.

Yes. No.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Germstore posted:

No one steals poo poo in this game, you can even put chests in town provided you don't put them where a villager would walk through.

It's the same as cattle, there's no wolves to eat your stock if you leave them out all night. A shame really.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I was thinking more like an acorn falling on the chest or other accidental destruction.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

If I was still an active mod on the forum there would be a reckoning. There was some titty mod at some point there too.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Yes you can :)

Not sure if they have to be behind a fence though. Mine are sorted by season/type of product, and they're out in the open. Nothing has happened to them.....yet.....

Germstore posted:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Seeds and weeds only spread in a small radius, just keep the area near your stuff clean and you should be fine. I've never seen them destroy a fence at least so chests should be fine too.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

This game owns and has been consuming almost all my free time since I bought it. Some questions though, because the wiki is really bad.

How do you get the blacksmith to upgrade your watering can? Whenever I go to the Upgrade Tools screen it only lets me pick the axe, pickaxe, and hoe.

Is there any downside to tossing stuff in the crate next to the house rather than going to town and selling stuff there?

Can I marry the hobo?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You have to go in and pet them every day. Basically livestock are a huge pain in the rear end for a fraction of the profit of raising crops.

Their real use is to make Mayo that you can then hand out as an Artisan Good for quick and easy reputation with the townsfolk. Sure you could learn what people like and dislike, or just give Mayo to every fucker.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Fans posted:

Their real use is to make Mayo that you can then hand out as an Artisan Good for quick and easy reputation with the townsfolk. Sure you could learn what people like and dislike, or just give Mayo to every fucker.

Ah hah! The real reason behind the "turn everyone white" mod.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm not surprised that there's a mod to make Maru white, but I am just the tiniest bit disappointed at the lengths people go to defend it when somebody points out that the mod is just a little bit hosed up

That said, I'm currently in the process of getting enough scratch to convert my farm into a full blown animal ranch. I don't care that they're way less time efficient that growing vegetables. I'm gonna have all the cute critters and in my head it'll be a petting zoo for the kids too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I have a chest adjacent to my fields that is dedicated solely to farming supplies: sap, seeds, fertilizer, spare fences and scarecrows, my watering can when not in use, etc. It spent most of a year outside of my fences and has never suffered for it.

If you're concerned about saplings or whatever, make a protective road around the thing you want to protect. My 18 neatly-ordered maple trees with tappers are all surrounded by cobblestone so I never have to muck around cutting down saplings to pass between them. A++ quality of life increase, would pave again.

inthesto posted:

I'm gonna have all the cute critters and in my head it'll be a petting zoo for the kids too.

Set up a bunch of maple tappers, a mayo machine for every bird, and a relevant profit machine for every other animal (cheese for cows or w/e). You can make a decent, steady income just selling simple artisan goods on a daily basis, and have 90% of every day free to fish or gently caress around in the mines after you finish petting all your animal friends and putting things into things that turn them into more valuable things. Or alternatively, you could mine rocks and chop trees for more materials for more coops and barns to turn you into the ultimate cute animal tycoon.

For maximum chillness, put down a couple of fruit trees and a bunch of preserves jars. It'll pretty up your ranch, and you can sell jam with your syrup, mayonnaise, cheese, and cloth.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 8, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Swedish Horror posted:

This game owns and has been consuming almost all my free time since I bought it. Some questions though, because the wiki is really bad.

How do you get the blacksmith to upgrade your watering can? Whenever I go to the Upgrade Tools screen it only lets me pick the axe, pickaxe, and hoe.

Is there any downside to tossing stuff in the crate next to the house rather than going to town and selling stuff there?

Can I marry the hobo?

Are you carrying the watering can at the time?

I don't think you get collection credit for direct selling, but that's it. Beyond that, sell away.

No; but CA has tweeted that content patches will probably involve new marriage candidates so that might change. Linus and Emily (Haley's older sister) are the two that seem most likely right now because they have some serious fans and don't have larger entanglements (like being a merchant).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

imo people can use whatever mods that please them, if they want their waifu to maru's character on a white girl then i ain't judge

Like I understand the representation argument because I'm in the same boat as Hitler's Gay Secret but at the same time it's like :shrug: If the shoe was on the other foot--mixed race Sebastian or Harvey or Abigail or whoever because someone's dream waifu is that personality on a different race--would you complain? Same idea, different application.
the white power dragon

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
"Hi honey I got up early and watered all your crops!"
*looks at rows and rows of sprinkler fed crops*

Uh yeah, thanks Abigail :sweatdrop:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All of Clint and Emily's cutscenes show that they have a thing going on. She wouldn't fit.

Shane is more likely because CA has mentioned it in particular. He might just need more villagers to get that extra bachelorette.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

inthesto posted:

That said, I'm currently in the process of getting enough scratch to convert my farm into a full blown animal ranch. I don't care that they're way less time efficient that growing vegetables. I'm gonna have all the cute critters and in my head it'll be a petting zoo for the kids too.

I wonder if CA had the traumatic experience of Cow Milking in the Snes Harvest Moon: the one where the game would slow to a crawl when you entered the barn and would take 10-20 minutes of your time just to milk the cows.