Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hotfix for yesterdays broken driver is out: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/99512/en-us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Panty Saluter posted:

I thought the 970 was generally an awesome 1080 card but not for anything much higher resolution anyway.

Nahh, it was solid for 1440 at least when it came out. I kind of wonder if the fraps run pcgameshardware.de does for their reviews was screwed up somehow for the 970 at 1080, because it doesn't match with other reviews and what I've seen on other sites (gamestar.de's review for example has it lose to the 380X at 1080).

Regardless, losing to a loving 380X. That's Project Cars poo poo. At least the 980 is holding up against the 390 (just barely at 4K, fraction of an fps, but ahead), and beating the 970 by 58% at 1440 and 25% at 4K. There's got to be something hosed in the driver or something.

^^^^is that hotfix 364.47 or newer?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Says 364.51 when you download it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have the 980ti Waterforce. How bad is it the pump is the high point of the system? I have the card in a Silverstone Temjin tj08-e case with the radiator taking up the rear fan slot. Is that going to cause any issues?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Coredump posted:

I have the 980ti Waterforce. How bad is it the pump is the high point of the system? I have the card in a Silverstone Temjin tj08-e case with the radiator taking up the rear fan slot. Is that going to cause any issues?

If air gets stuck in the pump it will kill the pump. You really want the radiator above the pump if possible.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

poo poo, that's gonna be a problem in the case I have.

Edit: After reviewing my options think I'll just flip the power supply in the case to intake air from within the case and flip the whole case upside down until I upgrade my system. I don't see anywhere else to mount the radiator to get it above the height of the pump and I don't want to burn up that card.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 8, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dogen posted:

Says 364.51 when you download it.

Okay, I'll have to see if it untucks the 970 because that showing may well just be a bugged driver.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Regardless, losing to a loving 380X.

Guru3D got very different results, with the 970 just a hair behind the 290 and well ahead of the 380X. Weird to see this much variance between sites.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Dodgy driver release could account for that. I don't normally pay close enough attention to benchmarks beyond skimming graphs to check if they even mention driver versions?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

repiv posted:

Guru3D got very different results, with the 970 just a hair behind the 290 and well ahead of the 380X. Weird to see this much variance between sites.

That's really weird. For Guru3D the 970 looks fine at usable resolutions but falls off a cliff at 4K.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

That's really weird. For Guru3D the 970 looks fine at usable resolutions but falls off a cliff at 4K.

I can atest to the 970 falling off a cliff @ 4k. Even with SLI performance can be spotty in a lot of games.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

I can atest to the 970 falling off a cliff @ 4k. Even with SLI performance can be spotty in a lot of games.

Still, falling off to the degree that it loses to a 380X seems out of the ordinary to me.

Edit: It looks like the game streams in textures and does long distance LoD based on the card's VRAM. Welp. That would explain why the sudden falloff while a 3GB 780Ti doesn't. For the reason pcgh shows it at lower resolutions, they force HQ AF in drivers for all games and that might be enough to push it over the edge earlier.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 8, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

Guru3d is obviously written by nvidia gameworks.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Across 5 people trying to play it last night bitching at me about constant failures and even my roommate to play it on ps4, I'm not super surprised the graphics petormances don't make sense either.

Except that it seemed to be solid in the beta lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I didn't realise the raytraced shadows Nvidia talked about a while ago were actually implemented in The Division.

Versus conventional shadow maps - Versus shadow maps with PCSS

Cool stuff. Not exactly cheap though.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

repiv posted:

I didn't realise the raytraced shadows Nvidia talked about a while ago were actually implemented in The Division.

Cool stuff. Not exactly cheap though.

enter powervr wizard

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Malcolm XML posted:

enter powervr wizard

I honestly hope PowerVR pulls it off and gets back in the dedicated market. A dGPU version of their current uarch means a 72-96 USC part would be competitive.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

poo poo, that's gonna be a problem in the case I have.

Edit: After reviewing my options think I'll just flip the power supply in the case to intake air from within the case and flip the whole case upside down until I upgrade my system. I don't see anywhere else to mount the radiator to get it above the height of the pump and I don't want to burn up that card.

Well, my case is now officially in the pants on head orientation. Also the AIO cooler made the scariest gushing sounds when booting up my system in its new orientation. However no sparks or fire yet so I think I'm good.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Don Lapre posted:

If air gets stuck in the pump it will kill the pump. You really want the radiator above the pump if possible.

I don't know that it's going to kill the pump (I'm not sure cavitation can really occur on these, and that's what I'd be worried about). It definitely impacts performance though, and yeah the radiator/reservoir as the high point is ideal.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Crosspostin'

Phobophilia posted:

Hey all, I have a HP laptop, Windows 10, i7-5500U 2.4GHz CPU, 8GB RAM. Apparently, I have a dedicated graphics card on it, an AMD Radeon R5 M330. However, whenever I fire up a game, it defaults an integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500 card. How do I set it to my dedicated card? And why the heck isn't it set to that on default.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

Crosspostin'

Does it happen with all games? Have you tried it with an older title? And the latest web drivers from AMD?

The most common reason for this to happen is that the drivers don't recognize your game executable as something that needs high-performance graphics, so they don't turn on the GPU. The frequent driver updates are supposed to stay on top of this though.

You could also create a profile for your game in Catalyst Center. I'm on an NVIDIA machine right now so I can't give you a step by step, but the idea is to select the executable and tell the driver to treat it as something that needs high performance.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't think it shows a non-iGPU. It's just passing the dGPU output through the iGPU.

Case in point:

Hi from goonsquad's bitchin' beachfront property in FFXIV. It's a pretty good game.

You can see that my iGPU is selected in the options window, and you can see just above that the framerate, which it is running at above iGPU FPS.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I didn't have Catalyst Control Centre installed, but I just updated my AMD Drivers, and it instead installed "Radeon Settings", which is apparently a more up to date version of CCC.

Edit: I can't work out a way to allocate "high performance" to the games of interest. Of which I'm interested in Path of Exile and XCOM 2.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 9, 2016

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

FaustianQ posted:

In your opinion, how much market share in the compute sector would AMD need for stabilization, and for comedy purposes, for heads to roll at Nvidia? Time frame and length of time for AMD to take advantage of any opening?

Sorry, been on too many planes this week.

I assume you're referring to the GPU compute market, specifically? If you look at the last "Top 500 Supercomputers" list, there are only two very middling and somewhat old systems using FirePro in the whole thing. The "break even" point for them is really about finding enough customers to recoup the small investment to generate/tape out a DP version of their GPU. At this point, they're barely scraping by that low bar. There was some promise to their APUs, in both hardware and software, but they stopped having the capital (and the CPU cores) to make them :sadpeanut:. Comedy Purposes: AMD captures 5% of the market and NVIDIA people start getting some uncomfortable stares.

Sadly, it would take a pretty big market shift for them to make much of an inroad. They lost the software battle in compute between OpenCL and CUDA (badly), so much so that they're now happy to help you port your Cuda code!.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am entirely happy to be wrong, though. Someone either in this thread or the AMD thread (Sorry, I forgot your name!) made the argument that Samsung is ultimately the best to handle HBM-enabled part manufacture, as they are so vertically integrated and can handle production of the CPU/GPU, the HBM, the interposers, the TSVs, and then put them all together into a completed product to ship out the door to Sapphire or whatever.

Yeah, that was me. They're the only company where you can one-stop-shop every component of one of these things. They even have their own processor team in case...no..I don't want to give them any ideas... :ninja:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Durinia posted:

Yeah, that was me. They're the only company where you can one-stop-shop every component of one of these things. They even have their own processor team in case...no..I don't want to give them any ideas... :ninja:
Samsung could really strongarm the x86 license out of Intel at this point

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

So apparently you're not supposed to drill holes through your 980Ti.

quote:

980ti Darwin Awards: Help

The heatsink for the Zotac card is huge, and doesnt fit in my custom case I made out of steel. So I bought a Corsair bracket to utilize a Corsair Hydro water cooler.
One of the holes on the card didn't line up with the hole on the bracket. (Design flaw I think.) And the screw needs to be there, or else the card bends when you screw down the water pump to the card.

So I masked off the card, and put it in my drill press and moved the hole just a tiny bit in. From what I can tell, I didnt drill through any circuits on the card. But now when I use the card on my brand new motherboard, The monitor won't boot. (keyboard and mouse both stay lit up, and the gpu fan is getting power) I know the board is fine, because I tested another gpu on it, and tested the 980ti on my friends board. (same problem).

I realize that I probly broke it, Just looking for other possible scenarios. You can all mock me if you wish. Thanks!

quote:

The result of my frustration.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

td4guy posted:

quote:

You were right about the layers. I booted the pc while holding a metal screwdriver in the hole to simulate soldering the hole shut. But it just started smoking. The card is F**ked

:science:

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I can't help but think that if he had filed each mounting hole by like 1mm instead of just 1 hole by 3mm he could have gotten away with it :(

Or maybe even just filing the bracket...?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

td4guy posted:

"moved the hole just a tiny bit in." :stare: Jesus loving Christ that is not a little bit, how do you not understand what a PCB is :psyduck

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Considering my deep regret for my SLI 970 purchase and how owning a 980ti would solve all my problems, seeing this makes me very salty.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
It gets better, they link him a video "Man you weren't meant to screw anything into that hole at all.". The guy didn't even read the manual properly. :allears:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also, uh, 'The monitor won't boot' :psyduck:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kuroiXiru posted:

Considering my deep regret for my SLI 970 purchase and how owning a 980ti would solve all my problems, seeing this makes me very salty.

:same:

Especially once I upgraded from 1440p to 4k :negative: I'm really hoping that the next release from NV or AMD really knocks it out of the park @ 4k res.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

td4guy posted:

:lol::lol:

quote:

You were right about the layers. I booted the pc while holding a metal screwdriver in the hole to simulate soldering the hole shut. But it just started smoking. The card is F**ked

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 9, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
That fuckup goes right up there with the guy several years ago that "delidded" his Intel Xtreme CPU or whatever but actually ripped the CPU clean in half along 2 layers or so.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Does anybody have experience streaming, particularly with an AMD GPU? I'm running a 290 and my distinctive hosed up monitor setup (2560s flanking a 3440). I've got about 20 Mbps upload if that matters. What's the best way of going about it? Just switch the middle to 2560x1440 and go from there? Turn it all the way down to 1080? Drink heavily and sacrifice my firstborn to JHH? I'd prefer to come out of it with something on YouTube if possible.

(I've got no experience and I'd like to know so I can stream a beta starting tomorrow).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If you're playing on all 3 monitors you can forget about recording because recording anything multimonitor is a fucksterfuck.

If you're just recording one monitor, OBS works for pretty much anything. If you want to record sick Hz video while you're at it, you could use DXtory -> MJPEG and use the directshow output options to passthrough to OBS (this works with 2/3 of the people who've tried it, you're going to have to add basically everything but the game to dxtory's ignore app list though)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
All the guides I've read suggest 720p60Hz is the sweet spot for streaming otherwise you're going to have the vast majority of people choosing the highest quality option and whining because their 1.5mbit copper dsl line chokes at 4k. More of a problem on Twitch due to the report button causing headaches for the few streams I watch regular when they enable 1080p/60.

OBS can easily scale down ultra wide 3440*1440 to 1720*720 and works great with youtube streaming. Just make sure to turn off any blur effects that cause glitches with youtube compression, Nothing worse than an otherwise quality stream turning into a smeared mess of Vaseline on a warped lens. Run a test stream before you go live and have someone try to watch it over a mobile connection if you want to ensure the maximum possible viewers have a quality experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just want my hands on that ASUS PG348Q, but it isn't available for purchase yet. 3440x1440 (or whatever the ultra wide resolution is) on an IPS at 100hz.