Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Fhqwhgads posted:

Last night I tried taking hay out of my bin for the collection, and to basically empty out my silos so I can harvest more grass. Thing is, I can sit there and pull hundreds of stacks of hay out of the bin, but in my inventory it only ever shows up as 1. And if I have 1 in my inventory, any hay I pull disappears into the ether. I think I nuked about 600 pieces of hay last night before I figured this out. How do I actually take out stacks of hay that doesn't involve "Take 1 piece, go put it in a chest, come back, take 1 piece, repeat"?

Yeah, this happened to me.

Zoe posted:

Hmm, okay where/how do I submit a bug report? I managed to accidentally eradicate a bunch of hay through a complicated/retarded series of events.

Basically I thought I'd be clever and stash a big stack of hay in a chest the first year so I didn't have to build a second silo and so so much of the starting grass didn't go to waste. Which works fine unless you feed your chickens and then go back to grab more. Clicking the dispenser while you're holding the hay just slams it back in there I think, but if you've switched to a tool the rest you take out doesn't stack with what's already in your inventory, it just vanishes into the void somewhere.

And still wondering if the game stores old saves anywhere. It's only Spring Y1 but still I'd rather not restart. I just need to roll it back one day so I can go to the Egg Festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

So what even is the point of fences and roads? I have not bothered to fence in my crops and noticed nothing out of the ordinary, and I don't really see any benefit to dropping paths at all. Help me understand.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Met posted:

All of Clint and Emily's cutscenes show that they have a thing going on. She wouldn't fit.

Shane is more likely because CA has mentioned it in particular. He might just need more villagers to get that extra bachelorette.

*looks at Harvest Moon's rival events*

Yeah, totally wouldn't fit.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I started reading the thread and quickly realized that I'm overthinking the whole issue.

My knee-jerk reaction to White Maru was "Really? Really?" and then the whole SJW labels started flying and I was just "You know, I think I remember studying something about how language defines thought patterns, so isn't a good thing to be aware of the different interpretations of meanings of actions and dialogue regardless of whether or not you agree with it?"

And then I was like "Wait, I downloaded the Hispanic Alex mod because drat son you a cutie. Which side of this argument am I on?"

I can't decide if I want my anime farming sim experience to be philosophical.

Edit: Haha, what? SA edits to Robocop. That's wonderful, I love it.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Are you carrying the watering can at the time?

I don't think you get collection credit for direct selling, but that's it. Beyond that, sell away.

No; but CA has tweeted that content patches will probably involve new marriage candidates so that might change. Linus and Emily (Haley's older sister) are the two that seem most likely right now because they have some serious fans and don't have larger entanglements (like being a merchant).

:doh: I kept dropping the can off in my chest after I was done watering crops in the morning. Thanks.

A shame about Linus though. Hopefully that gets put in soon.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm not gonna lie, if Linus' daily spouse activity was just rummaging every garbage can in town and bringing back the spoils, I would probably marry him. Gotta get that garbage for my recycling machines. Free quartz bars, free fabric, free coal, and saving the environment all at the same time, oh my yes.

I can't decide whether I'd prefer the :unsmith: of husband Linus getting cleaned up and wearing some nice clothes or the :haw: of husband Linus just loving showing up to the wedding with his scragglebeard and goofy druid leaf tunic.

IMO let me marry the wizard so he can hang out in my house being all mysterious about magic while I'm like "OK well I'm gonna go water my ancient magical plants, pet my magical void chicken, and see if my magical monster friend has anything good for sale before I try to catch a magical fish. Good luck with your unfathomable sorcery honey, if Grumbus summons anymore meteors please let me know"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

StrangeAeon posted:

I started reading the thread and quickly realized that I'm overthinking the whole issue.

My knee-jerk reaction to White Maru was "Really? Really?" and then the whole SJW labels started flying and I was just "You know, I think I remember studying something about how language defines thought patterns, so isn't a good thing to be aware of the different interpretations of meanings of actions and dialogue regardless of whether or not you agree with it?"

And then I was like "Wait, I downloaded the Hispanic Alex mod because drat son you a cutie. Which side of this argument am I on?"

I can't decide if I want my anime farming sim experience to be philosophical.

Edit: Haha, what? SA edits to Robocop. That's wonderful, I love it.

Let me posit this to you: Have you seen any mods where Maru is 100% black?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Vargatron posted:

... like, Void Chicken black?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kaedric posted:

So what even is the point of fences and roads? I have not bothered to fence in my crops and noticed nothing out of the ordinary, and I don't really see any benefit to dropping paths at all. Help me understand.

Fences are for keeping livestock localized.

Roads are for elevating you past barbarianism, you dirty viking.

Cosmetics are 99% useless, only the TV and Calendar provide real function, maybe lampposts if your monitor contrast is really low.

I'm starting to think CA should give a movement speed buff on paths, there's already a debuff for walking through plants/overgrowth.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Are you gonna make it? No? huh.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Supremezero posted:

... like, Void Chicken black?

Space without stars.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think stuff like that should be up were they belong on the :nexus: and not on an official forum where it might look like CA is endorsing whitening up one of the two ethnic characters in the entire village.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Met posted:

All of Clint and Emily's cutscenes show that they have a thing going on. She wouldn't fit.

Haha gently caress Clint

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

rebuilt the community center, and my farm is a profit machine so i decided to make a new game where i leave the farm to the wilderness. i'll probably have to put down some paved roads eventually so i can use the north and south exits without wading through grass and bumping into stones, but the main idea is to let nature have the farm while i go adventuring in the dungeons and foraging in the wild and see how well that works out. midway through the first spring and an iridium meteor lands right next to my house, so now i have a rad pink meteorite right there which i'm not going to be able to crack until i get a golden axe.

i think i may just leave it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:nexus: bear is some quality graffiti.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Question about food spoilage:

I currently have a pile of hops saved up as I approach the end of summer. Same with some other various items (berries, hot peppers, etc).

They're stored in chests. If the game ticks over to Fall will that food spoil? Do I need to expand the house and get the fridge to store these items? Do they spoil when the seasons change?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fishvilla posted:

I currently have a pile of hops saved up as I approach the end of summer. Same with some other various items (berries, hot peppers, etc).

They're stored in chests. If the game ticks over to Fall will that food spoil? Do I need to expand the house and get the fridge to store these items? Do they spoil when the seasons change?

Nope, nope, and nope. I have some blueberries in a chest that were from Fall 1's grange display, and it's Summer 2 now, and they're just as gold star and ready to eat/pulp into wine/whatever.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Fishvilla posted:

Nope, food doesn't spoil

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Supremezero posted:

*looks at Harvest Moon's rival events*

Yeah, totally wouldn't fit.

This isn't Harvest Moon. No other romantic interest in this game has those kinds of cutscenes with other characters. It doesn't fit with the scheme ConcernedApe has going on so it's unlikely she'll be a bachelorette.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

counterpoint: gently caress Clint

4pm is not quitting time, rear end in a top hat

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Shoehead posted:

I think stuff like that should be up were they belong on the :nexus: and not on an official forum where it might look like CA is endorsing whitening up one of the two ethnic characters in the entire village.

CA needs to endorse all the waifus as big titted magical ponies to clear up this complicated issue once and for all. Nothing else will satisfy the internet.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Shoehead posted:

If I was still an active mod on the forum there would be a reckoning. There was some titty mod at some point there too.

If I had any spriting ability, I'd turn it on its head and make a mod that makes all the guys in town shirtless, just to make people on that forum flip out about the :gay:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zoe posted:

Nothing will satisfy the internet.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Met posted:

This isn't Harvest Moon. No other romantic interest in this game has those kinds of cutscenes with other characters. It doesn't fit with the scheme ConcernedApe has going on so it's unlikely she'll be a bachelorette.

Mod the game so Clint is replaced by a giant immobile machine that processes geodes and upgrades tools for you, free up Emily

I mean, her first friendship scene is a rave in her bedroom, she's clearly the best character in the game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zoe posted:

CA needs to endorse all the waifus as big titted magical ponies to clear up this complicated issue once and for all. Nothing else will satisfy the internet.

zoe has the right idea here

i mean seriously what do you want the news to read

'TERRIBLE MODS EXIST FOR GAME THAT ALLOWS SUCH A THING

PRESIDENT SHOCKED

POPE HORRIFIED

EXCLUSIVE AT 7PM WITH AL SHARPTON'

seriously, if it bothers you that much then make a 'BLACKER MARU' and a 'PONY MINE ENEMIES (murder them all)' mod. you'll be lowering yourself to these nerds' level but at least it'll be funny as hell, which is more than i can say for this dumb conversation.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I was already pleasantly surprised by Hispanic Alex, I don't expect a lot of good things from the Internet at large.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay, I apologize for the Maru derail. For some reason that bothered me more than the "MLP characters with gigantic flopping tits" mod.

For the sprinkler system, the tooltip indicates that they water the 4 adjacent tiles to the sprinkler. Is this 4 tiles in a cross formation or 4x4 field of tiles?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Vargatron posted:

Okay, I apologize for the Maru derail. For some reason that bothered me more than the "MLP characters with gigantic flopping tits" mod.

For the sprinkler system, the tooltip indicates that they water the 4 adjacent tiles to the sprinkler. Is this 4 tiles in a cross formation or 4x4 field of tiles?

Cross formation. I was very disappointed. The best sprinkler in the game covers 5x5.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

maybe it's less problematic adding diverse representation to a game than it is removing it, just a thought

and yeah, the level 1 sprinklers are depressingly poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Someone Awful! posted:

and yeah, the level 1 sprinklers are depressingly poo poo.

They shouldn't require Iron, imo. By the time you have enough iron to make enough sprinklers for it to matter, you probably don't care anymore.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
BTW if you don't want to talk about mods in this thread but want to continue the conversation then the Awesome/Awful Game Mods Thread is perfect.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
The basic sprinkler is kind of underwhelming. Maybe because you have to create bizarrely shaped, OCD-violating fields to get them to work. I'm just waiting to get the next level of sprinkler and making do with my steel watering can for now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just started fall and I'm still watering everything myself minus the one 8-tile sprinkler I got from the community center because they're really expensive to make, I've got 1 gold bar so far and then next 20 are probably going to tools

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I'm pretty close to just modding the sprinklers so the first does quality and the second does iridium, and then maybe make iridium do something else cool like increase fertilization or grow speed. Because gently caress having to waste all your iridium or hope for great caravan spawns just to make your farming less poo poo. Iridium is way too loving rare for that.

I'll probably up the mats of the quality sprinkler though so it's not crazy easy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Farming is something poors do anyways spend your iridium on rows and rows of diamondariums.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mazz posted:

I'm pretty close to just modding the sprinklers so the first does quality and the second does iridium, and then maybe make iridium do something else cool like increase fertilization or grow speed. Because gently caress having to waste all your iridium or hope for great caravan spawns just to make your farming less poo poo. Iridium is way too loving rare for that.

I'll probably up the mats of the quality sprinkler though so it's not crazy easy.

The Sewers NPC sells them guaranteed every Friday.

Edit: Spoilered instead.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 8, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I've gotta say, I've been pretty disappointed with the Gatherer/Botanist perks for Foraging. It's supposed to make foraged items always gold star quality, but it's actually pretty selective in what it applies to. Botanist only seems to apply to items you actually pick up off the ground. Foraged items it does NOT apply to include:
- Spring Onions which you pull out of the dirt like planted crops
- Salmonberries and Blackberries you take from bushes
- Mushrooms growing in your farm cave
- Forage items you can dig up with your hoe, such as Snow Yams.

Not a big deal since Foraging is a really inefficient way to make money anyway, but it still feels like a waste of a perk. In retrospect I would've rather gone with Forester/Tapper to get more syrup money. On the upside? Gatherer does sometimes give you double Truffles when you pick them up.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Mountaineer posted:

I've gotta say, I've been pretty disappointed with the Gatherer/Botanist perks for Foraging. It's supposed to make foraged items always gold star quality, but it's actually pretty selective in what it applies to. Botanist only seems to apply to items you actually pick up off the ground. Foraged items it does NOT apply to include:

Not a big deal since Foraging is a really inefficient way to make money anyway, but it still feels like a waste of a perk. In retrospect I would've rather gone with Forester/Tapper to get more syrup money. On the upside? Gatherer does sometimes give you double Truffles when you pick them up.
You can edit your save to change perks really easily if you feel you made a mistake.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Are those kind of like dewberries or is that a mistranslation from my side or just something the game made up?

Because if it is dewberries, holy hell yes, that stuff is awful. Like trying to drink that alcohol you use to clean engines or painted models.

I was actually curious enough to look it up because I'd never heard of a salmonberry and wondered if they were supposed to taste a bit like sloeberries or something.

It turns out salmonberries are a real thing that grow across north west America. They are in the same genus as dewberries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

tbf it's still better than any of the other choices, and still really good. Getting hardwood from trees is an unnecessary convenience unless you really need to get that hardwood ASAP and 25% on syrup is just trash (of course, compared to brewing everything is trash). Guaranteeing that all your foraged items are one quality is great, and it applies to the ground-gems like quartz and earth crystals as well.