Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

CBJSprague24 posted:

What ever happened with the Fantasy game? Are they doing it this year?

Looks like it's happening again but everyone will have to register again (once they post the rules for everyone to accept :derp:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pvt. Public posted:

poo poo, my dad just bought a place in Apache Junction.

I'm sorry :v:

It's as good an excuse as any, but AJ is a solid hour away from the track, not including raceday traffic.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm sorry :v:

It's as good an excuse as any, but AJ is a solid hour away from the track, not including raceday traffic.

Yeah, I'm not super thrilled about it either, but it is a free place to stay and I could use a vacation. As for traffic, you just need to show up early enough to not worry about it. Three decades of going to the 500 (and F1) has taught me that.

Speaking of the 500, I will post in here next week or so when I find out if I get to take over the suite at the track again this year. If so, goons are welcome. I think it holds 20 people and we rarely have more than 5 or 6.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 4, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cool pic

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Fantasy IndyCar has been reactivated and I recreated our league, Formula Juan and Derps

Go here to register then go here and enter the code LLJK to join our league.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Rain forecasted in St. Pete this weekend, could make things interesting.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Luca Filippi in the #19 this weekend at least.

Rain looks patchy on Sunday (chance for fun tire strategy chaos), with it growing in probability later in the day. Might be lightning though, which would probably red flag the race. Why does weather hate IndyCar?

Weekend sched: http://www.gpstpete.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=226

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I don't know if anybody's interested in a media rundown post, but I've done them in the NASCAR thread and a couple people liked them, so I'll give it a shot in case new people come along:

IndyCar on TV

IndyCar Series
Booth- Leigh Diffey/Rick Allen, Townsend Bell, Paul Tracy (Possibly David Hobbs/Steve Matchett in spot duty)
Pits- Jon Beekhuis, Kevin Lee, Robin Miller, Marty Snider (pre-NASCAR on NBC season), Katie Hargitt (during NASCAR on NBC)

This has always been a bit of a hodgepodge, as NBC has too few people in too many places. Diffey is excellent and calls the majority of races except those which clash with F1 telecasts, for which he's also responsible, at which point apparently Rick Allen, but maybe Brian Till or Bob Varsha will pinch hit. The most typical color analysts seem to be Bell and Tracy, though Hobbs and Matchett make occasional appearances and may or may not again this year. Who the hell knows. Matchett's giddiness at Fontana last year was fun.

Indy Lights
Booth- Kevin Lee, Anders Krohn
Pits- Katie Hargitt

Much like NBC does with NASCAR's K&N and Modified series, Indy Lights races are shown in condensed, one-hour shows on tape delay. Check local listings. (Watch the race at Indianapolis.)

Lights races can be seen internationally on these networks:

quote:

SPORTSNET – Canada
ESPN – Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela
SPEED – Australia
SKY SPORT – New Zealand

IndyCar Series
Booth- Allen Bestwick, Eddie Cheever, Jr., Scott Goodyear
Pits- Jon Beekhuis, Rick DeBruhl, Dr. Jerry Punch
Host- Lindsay Czarniak (Indianapolis 500 only)

ABC continues their longtime coverage of IndyCar racing, but are pretty much only in it at this point for the Indy 500, as they've gone in recent years from the full schedule to a few early-season races and Indy 500 qualifying. Still, Allen Bestwick, the guy who turned NBC down for NASCAR coverage to call the Indianapolis 500. Wish we could hear him more.

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Paul Page is lead announcer, with his last race being this year's Indy 500. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 208.

I went to get an affiliate list and got this:

...so I'm just going to leave it at that.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd love to never see Cheever, Goodyear, or Till calling an Indycar race again.

I'd pay extra for a feed that's just PT and other retired / underemployed drivers shooting the poo poo with no censors / filters on. Dario was so funny at Iowa when his engine blew up on the pace lap that I wish he hadn't gone to be Chip's Rick Mears.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I've enjoyed Dario on the Formula E telecasts. He's very insightful and actually really technical about drivers missing apexes and such.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd love to never see Cheever, Goodyear, or Till calling an Indycar race again.

I'd pay extra for a feed that's just PT and other retired / underemployed drivers shooting the poo poo with no censors / filters on. Dario was so funny at Iowa when his engine blew up on the pace lap that I wish he hadn't gone to be Chip's Rick Mears.

Cheever is great in being kinda snarky. He just needs a Dario, Al Unser Jr. or PT to kind of spat with.

Goodyear would be better in a Jeff Hammond/Jon Bekhuis type of role. I kind of like Till. I want to say the booth with him, Townsend bell and PT had to have been the first time three ex drivers were in a booth together calling a race.

I love Bestwick. I get a Jim McKay-like vibe of him calling "500's". Not an insider in the sport like a Paul Page or Bob Varsha, but a guy fascinated and respectful of IndyCar.

Townsend Bell gives me a Tommy Kendall vibe and I feel like he'd be better in the pits. Diffey is great and his excitement is so contagious. PT is excellent, but I feel he needs a guy like Derek Daly to kind of argue with ala Posey/Unser.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

PT is excellent, but I feel he needs a guy like Derek Daly to kind of argue with ala Posey/Unser.

Praying that Bourdais has his engine blow up on the pace lap of a race PT is in the booth for.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Praying that Bourdais has his engine blow up on the pace lap of a race PT is in the booth for.

I don't think I'd get tired of two hours of a Canadian cackling with glee either.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Incorporated that into the OP, thanks!

Leigh Diffey, Allen Bestwick, Jon Beekhuis, Townsend Bell, Paul Tracy, Robin Miller, Kevin Lee, and David Hobbs are all great.
Everyone else not so much...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Incorporated that into the OP, thanks!

Leigh Diffey, Allen Bestwick, Jon Beekhuis, Townsend Bell, Paul Tracy, Robin Miller, Kevin Lee, and David Hobbs are all great.
Everyone else not so much...

matchett, varsha

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Has ABC always covered St. Pete? Could have sworn it was NBC in years past.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

George Zimmer posted:

Has ABC always covered St. Pete? Could have sworn it was NBC in years past.

The last few years it's been St. Pete. ABC starts the season, does May and Belle Isle, then drops off the face of the earth until the start of next season

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KingShibby posted:

The last few years it's been St. Pete. ABC starts the season, does May and Belle Isle, then drops off the face of the earth until the start of next season

All of the races this season are on ABC, too. No ESPN.

I'm surprised the level of interest ABC/ESPN maintains in the 500. For a network that's shed basically all of their non-X-Games motorsports coverage (NASCAR, most of the ICS schedule, NHRA (which was always treated as an afterthought)), they seem to have interest in keeping the name of the Indianapolis 500 as an ESPN property. I wonder if it stays that way when the new TV deal comes around in a couple years.

I'm glad the 500 still has that sort of prestige in the eyes of, for better or worse, The Worldwide Leader.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 9, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was reading recently how desperate the major networks are for live sports, as its the only way to get people to sit there and watch ad breaks. I don't think ABC pays too much for the rights either, so maybe that's why they stay interested.

Wish they would change their drat announcing crew. Bestwick is great, but Goodyear/Cheever are sometimes painful and almost never insightful.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i wish both ABC and NBC would stop putting useless loving segues between the ad breaks and returning to the race. i don't need to see 30 seconds of scott dixon wearing sunglasses in a warehouse. either show me another ad and make more money or show me the drat race.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
RIP Bobby Johns, driver of Smokey's pod car :smith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske's 2 (Juan) and 12 (Power) are going to be in matching schemes next year that are kinda reminiscent of the old days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Penske's 2 (Juan) and 12 (Power) are going to be in matching schemes next year that are kinda reminiscent of the old days.

this and dixon's car beat anything in F1

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If that car looks so awesome, why is the Indycar logo so bad?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Cygni posted:

Looks like a McLaren or a Mercedes, lol.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AxeBreaker posted:

Looks like a McLaren or a Mercedes, lol.

it is silver, yes.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

this and dixon's car beat anything in F1

I would normally hate Silver but this is ok. Probably because indycar teams use colours other than Silver, Red, and Dark Grey/Black.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I would normally hate Silver but this is ok. Probably because indycar teams use colours other than Silver, Red, and Dark Grey/Black.

Yeah, this livery in the current F1 field would be horrible. But in the Indycar field they'll likely be the only silver cars and they are therefore good.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

Did that F1 car that was just black with small red numbers ever get a new paint? If not it's the best scheme ever.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Did that F1 car that was just black with small red numbers ever get a new paint? If not it's the best scheme ever.

the new mclaren? http://www.motorsport.com/f1/photo/...d=6384778&i=946

i like it but when the lighting changes it looks more washed out and grey and far less good: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/photo/main-gallery/jenson-button-mclaren-mp4-31-6384814/?sz=9&r=89403&s=-6&oft=927&id=6384814&i=925

e: also mercedes' "silver" car looks like an exec said "we HAVE to be the silver arrows? ugh FINE" and tried to ruin it as much as possible with teal and black, hence why the penske is so much better

wicka fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 10, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the polished wheels are a bit much on the Penske

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like people can buy a Steak & Shake 'apron' Rahal tshirt:
https://twitter.com/GrahamRahal/status/707960324369072128

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bentai posted:

Looks like people can buy a Steak & Shake 'apron' Rahal tshirt:
https://twitter.com/GrahamRahal/status/707960324369072128

i have an actual steak n shake apron from high school, i should wear it to a race

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Good news on the TV broadcast front!

• Total on-air programming from INDYCAR's network partners is more than 110 hours, up from 2015.
  • NBCSN will broadcast live Free Practice from seven different races, starting with FP1 from Phoenix.
  • All ABC broadcasts will also stream live on WatchESPN.
  • ESPN3 will provide extended Indy 500 qualifying coverage on May 21-22 and a second-screen option of onboard camera shots for the May 29 race.
  • NBSCN will also telecast five "IndyCar Chronicles" 30-minute specials, the INDYCAR Championship Celebration and hour-long recaps of all Indy Lights race weekends.

Can't go wrong with more live broadcasts, not to mention more streaming :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KingShibby posted:

Good news on the TV broadcast front!

• Total on-air programming from INDYCAR's network partners is more than 110 hours, up from 2015.
  • NBCSN will broadcast live Free Practice from seven different races, starting with FP1 from Phoenix.
  • All ABC broadcasts will also stream live on WatchESPN.
  • ESPN3 will provide extended Indy 500 qualifying coverage on May 21-22 and a second-screen option of onboard camera shots for the May 29 race.
  • NBSCN will also telecast five "IndyCar Chronicles" 30-minute specials, the INDYCAR Championship Celebration and hour-long recaps of all Indy Lights race weekends.

Can't go wrong with more live broadcasts, not to mention more streaming :getin:

You'll have to add Rick Allen to the lead announcer list I made and take Kelli Stavast off the pit reporter list. I edited the post above if you want to copy/paste

quote:

Leigh Diffey will serve as the lead play-by-play voice for NBCSN’s coverage, joined in the booth by analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. Beekhuis, Katie Hargitt, Kevin Lee, Robin Miller and Marty Snider will report from the pits. In addition, Rick Allen, NBC Sports’ lead NASCAR play-by-play voice, joins NBCSN’s Verizon IndyCar Series coverage for select races.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

CBJSprague24 posted:

You'll have to add Rick Allen to the lead announcer list I made and take Kelli Stavast off the pit reporter list. I edited the post above if you want to copy/paste

Good call, I didn't even notice that part

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

A fun project for us. Find out who are these 100 dudes are. Artist named Roger Warrick finished this up this morning in celebration of 100 races but hasn't made the legend so some of these guys (mainly the pre-WWII guys) I have no idea who they are.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

A fun project for us. Find out who are these 100 dudes are. Artist named Roger Warrick finished this up this morning in celebration of 100 races but hasn't made the legend so some of these guys (mainly the pre-WWII guys) I have no idea who they are.

i would like to know what car is on the front row between the wasp and montoya's DW12

also his depiction of al unser is literally the first google images result for al unser

wicka fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 11, 2016

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

be nice wicka posted:

i would like to know what car is on the front row between the wasp and montoya's DW12

also his depiction of al unser is literally the first google images result for al unser

My guess would be the winner of the 50th which would be the Lola/Ford T90, according to wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/2016-verizon-indycar-series-season-preview-part-2-678601

quote:

As one race engineer remarked at Phoenix: “It’s going to be so tough to excel this year. Even the top teams have really struggled for consistency over the past couple of years.

“Look down the grid and there isn’t a single bad driver. When you go back just five years ago, that wasn’t the case. At all. And actually, all those people who keep banging on about CART’s greatest years need to look at the grid back then. There were quite a few wankers at the back of the field.

“Now, you just have a bunch of drivers that range from very competent to fantastic. The whole level has risen, and we’ve all had to respond to that or we will very quickly look like backmarkers.”

• Locked thread