Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Commoners posted:

The problem with the raven is that it has an ungodly burn time. The locust is made for killing and your poking turns into murder if they don't turn to deal with you. I've never been killed or significantly damaged by an ERLL raven and just generally ignore them when they're plinking at me.

Kill all assaults with your magical locust powers.

that is my favorite Locust

for reference here are the relevant quirks, y'all

ENERGY COOLDOWN: 50.00 %
ENERGY RANGE: 10.00 %
LASER DURATION: -50.00 %

it basically turns that single LPL into like ... three LPLs worth of DPS, with the added bonus of a duration of about a third of a second. you will also basically never overheat.

highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I think commoners has been out of low tier for a while?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I started playing in tier 3 and I've been playing in tier 1 since half way through February.

The locust 1v has accel/decel quirks that make it quick enough that you can butt hug an assault and if no one comes to save them there is no way to get you off. The only thing they can do is put their rear end to a wall and wait until help arrives. If this happens, you have accomplished your goal in holding up 5x your tonnage and preventing it from getting to the fight.

Pattonesque posted:

that is my favorite Locust

for reference here are the relevant quirks, y'all

ENERGY COOLDOWN: 50.00 %
ENERGY RANGE: 10.00 %
LASER DURATION: -50.00 %

it basically turns that single LPL into like ... three LPLs worth of DPS, with the added bonus of a duration of about a third of a second. you will also basically never overheat.

highly recommended.

This build overheats like a motherfucker even though it has a 2.2/2 heat efficiency or something hilarious like that. It also dissipates heat really badly because it is running only 10 heat sinks. I don't think the heating efficiency thing includes the effect of quirks on heat accumulation.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 8, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would have singled you out if I was talking about ya. :D

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

I started playing in tier 3 and I've been playing in tier 1 since half way through February.

The locust 1v has accel/decel quirks that make it quick enough that you can butt hug an assault and if no one comes to save them there is no way to get you off. The only thing they can do is put their rear end to a wall and wait until help arrives. If this happens, you have accomplished your goal in holding up 5x your tonnage and preventing it from getting to the fight.

This build overheats like a motherfucker even though it has a 2.2/2 heat efficiency or something hilarious like that. It also dissipates heat really badly because it is running only 10 heat sinks. I don't think the heating efficiency thing includes the effect of quirks on heat accumulation.

you know I think I'm mixing it up with the single ERLL Locust -- the 1M I think, which has heat gen quirks and also doesn't fire quite fast enough to overheat

that one also used to have a 50% energy range quirk which mean you could poke for full damage at 1032 meters :(

it was basically invincible on Alpine

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

And now it is dead because we can't have nice things

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I had made a post about a HGN-IIC(O) build...

TC7, Gauss, 3 ERLL. I removed the SRM, dropped extra heatsinks in it. It's tough enough to take hits, just stick with another Assault or heavy and support. I never do under 500 damage.

Or switch it out for the LB20X/SRM6 brawler, this thing is loving great. My favorite assault by far.

I basic'd my other variants, but I'll be keeping this one. Time to save up credits for the next mech... Maybe a Direwolf or something.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Stringbean posted:

I had made a post about a HGN-IIC(O) build...

TC7, Gauss, 3 ERLL. I removed the SRM, dropped extra heatsinks in it. It's tough enough to take hits, just stick with another Assault or heavy and support. I never do under 500 damage.

Or switch it out for the LB20X/SRM6 brawler, this thing is loving great. My favorite assault by far.

I basic'd my other variants, but I'll be keeping this one. Time to save up credits for the next mech... Maybe a Direwolf or something.

I would shrink the targeting computer and add a JJ. The ability to spin away from lights is really useful, and the game still has problems with hit detection on jumping mechs.

\/\/\/\/\/ - Ahh, so this?

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 8, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Forgot to mention I added 2x JJ when I dropped SRM. Need that vertical maneuverability

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Why does it feel like my medium pulse lasers build up so much heat so fast. Need to convert to double heatsink I guess.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

darthzeta88 posted:

Why does it feel like my medium pulse lasers build up so much heat so fast. Need to convert to double heatsink I guess.

Double heat sinks are mandatory on every mech that can take them.

There are a few comedy builds that 'stuff' standard heatsinks for boating a reduced weapon loadout, but those should be approached with caution.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Double heat sinks are mandatory on every mech that can take them.

There are a few comedy builds that 'stuff' standard heatsinks for boating a reduced weapon loadout, but those should be approached with caution.

Pretty much that. It was pointed out to me recently that sticking with singles is a bad idea because running doubles makes the money back since you can acutally fire your guns, meaning you put out more damage.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

Pretty much that. It was pointed out to me recently that sticking with singles is a bad idea because running doubles makes the money back since you can acutally fire your guns, meaning you put out more damage.

Yes and this is why, despite the initial sticker price, clan mechs are almost always cheaper than IS mechs to outfit for play. You don't need to add double heat sinks, or endo-steel, or ferro-fibrous, and you don't need to buy an engine for them. All those costs add up pretty quickly.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Stringbean posted:

There's a huge skill jump between 4 and 3, considering the bracket shifts and you don't play with tier 5 players anymore. quad ac2 will not work the next tier up because people will just know how to deal with your poo poo.

I'm about halfway to tier 2, somehow got placed against Lang. Didn't know they placed tier 1s against 3s but here we are.

He was LRMing 😐

The secret to tiers is that tier 3 and up is an experience bar, not a skill rating. There's a minimum point of competence, which is something idiotically low like 100 damage, where you will gain more PSR than you lose. Despite mostly running a succession of bad mechs and not limiting myself to only grouping with "good" players, my PSR continues to steadily go up. Also, the matchmaker inevitably is forced to match higher tier people against groups with lower PSR since there are fewer people with high PSR and the margin for error for PSR-matching increases the longer you're waiting for a match. Since high-tier players have fewer "fair" matchups available to them at any time (due to the small playerbase), they'll more frequently go up against lower tier teams.

I'm just gonna quote myself from last night: "WHY DO WE KEEP WINNING THIS IS STUPID".
We had a group of 9 mechs running ER PPCs (including MORE THAN ONE ER PPC Myst Lynx) last night with something like an incredibly stupid 80% win rate.
The most important thing is to have people actually work together and coordinate fire. If you're calling targets and being aggressive (while not being dumb and walking straight into a firing line one at a time), you will (apparently) steamroll pubbie groups 8 times out of 10.
Welcome to the Summoner Zone, bitches.

--

On another note, this applies to pretty much everyone - if you want to do better at the game and you want a metric to observe and judge your performance by, look at your damage dealt. Ignore kills/assists for the most part.

Try and make sure, by the time you die, you've dealt at least 300 damage in a match. If everybody on your team has dealt at least 300 damage in a match, odds are pretty good that you've won. You can't make the rest of your team shoot better and you can't necessarily make them coordinate (I, for example, am a terrible yellboss). What you can do, every time, is try and make sure you do 300 damage so that you, at least, are contributing. If you're consistently surviving long enough and accurate enough to put out 300 damage, you did your job. If you're not consistently doing that much and you want to get better, you can try switching your mech fit around to find something you're more comfortable with. Or, you can look at your tactics and figure out if you're exposing yourself too much, staying back from the brawl too much, making yourself a target and getting focused down where you can't break line of sight, whatever. Everyone improves quicker if they make an effort to analyze accurately what went wrong and what to do better next time.

Last night went really well, in part, because we had people yellbossing targets, nobody gave a poo poo about losing or taking damage, and people were more aggressive than usual because we were having fun and winning which reinforced the having fun part. Even when we took a loss, people didn't stop doing the things that were working and a good time was had by all. Coincidentally, everybody's damage numbers across the board were higher than usual, even on the matches we lost.

A couple caveats apply, here:
- 300 damage is a target if you're using, say, lasers, PPCs, SRMs, or autocannons. Streak boats or LRM boats have a much higher bar to hit, because for the most part they do a lot of damage that doesn't actually contribute to killing a target because it's spread out so much. Anyone who wants to see this in action is free to hit me up and we'll go into some private matches where I'll run around like we're in a fight and you kill me with streaks or LRMs or lasers, and then look at your final damage at the end of the round.
- If you're primarily using LRMs or streaks, your damage target is higher. For streaks, you should be able to get 500 damage a round without really trying very hard. For LRMs, the same general rule applies, although it's harder to do meaningful damage with LRMs. Still shoot for at least 500 damage, though. Artemis makes a huge difference in how many missiles you fire actually hit your target, so use it. Moving with the group and engaging at 400-500m helps prevent you getting picked off and reduces travel times.
- It's possible to "farm" up damage by shooting side torsos, since killing the side torso takes off the arm the arm's health factors into your damage dealt. As long as you're not going out of your way to farm damage, it's not worth worrying about this - it's not a contest you're trying to win; you're (ideally) just trying to improve your own skills at the game by figuring out what allows you to survive longer and deal more damage in the process.

Not every mech is really capable of putting out big damage numbers every game, but every mech should be capable of putting out ~300 damage. If you're not there yet, work at it. If you're already doing that, focus on spreading damage less and getting more damage into CTs and you'll survive longer to win more.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's a caveat I'd put in there, if you're in a light mech nuking people in the rear end in a top hat to harvest butt meat you're going to have a lot less damage because rear center torso armor + center torso to core someone doesn't give you very big numbers but it's still a dead enemy.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Olesh posted:

We had a group of 9 mechs running ER PPCs (including MORE THAN ONE ER PPC Kit Fox) last night with something like an incredibly stupid 80% win rate.

I was a Myst Lynx for a few rounds before running a dual PPC Kit Fox and supporting Commoners as much as possible. Over 700 Damage and 2 kills in that thing in one match.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Is that the status quo though? I've always wondered what the metric is for damage dealt. Is it 300+? I've found myself feeling disappointed if I don't hit 500+.

Am I holding myself to a higher standard? Should I lower the bar? Maybe I should just hold that standard to myself and not feel so horrible when people hit 300 before detonating.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You had a PPC night without me? I am sad as hell. :smith: <--- me being sad.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh it actually says what to do nevermind

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 9, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The new harebrained schemes robotgame is looking good.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 9, 2016

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Stringbean posted:

Is that the status quo though? I've always wondered what the metric is for damage dealt. Is it 300+? I've found myself feeling disappointed if I don't hit 500+.

Am I holding myself to a higher standard? Should I lower the bar? Maybe I should just hold that standard to myself and not feel so horrible when people hit 300 before detonating.

Certainly, you can hold yourself to a higher standard. I'm not suggesting that everyone shoot for 500 damage a match - it's actually really impractical for the team to do a combined 6000 damage, - but the more damage you personally do, the less damage you're relying on your team to do to win.

There's plenty that's completely arbitrary about this. I'm not going to claim that I have data spanning thousands of matches and 300 is the Magic Number that divides scrubs from good players. I'm not saying that if you did 300 damage in a match that you couldn't necessarily have done better/more, or that damage dealt is the most accurate measure of player skill.

It's just an easily available metric that you can use to eyeball how you/other people did in a match, and it makes for a simple goal to shoot for - try and do at least 300 damage in every match, and do it consistently. If everybody on the team does at least 300 damage, then almost certainly your team won the match, so it's an acceptable number to shoot for. Once you can consistently do 300, shoot for 350, or 400, or more. It's good to have goals for improvement, and you should never stop trying to be better. As long as you're having fun, why shouldn't you be good and still getting better at the thing you enjoy doing?

In terms of going past 300, that tends to be more of a personal goal, since there's only so much enemy HP on the field to eat up. If you assume that 300 damage is roughly the amount that you have to put out to kill one enemy mech, between dealing with enemies spreading damage well and personal inaccuracy at hitting the CT, then everyone on your team doing 300 damage means overall everyone did about one mech's worth of damage - the total amount of damage your team needs to do to win is roughly 3600. If you do more than 300, that means that you did more than your share and the rest of your team doesn't have to do quite as much damage to win - the margin of error for victory is therefore a lot greater.

And yes, the actual numbers will vary based on people getting shot in the butt, or the total drop weight/mechs that are being used - a really light team takes less damage to kill than a really heavy team - yadda yadda.

It's a nice number to shoot for, that's all. The point where I was doing 300 consistently was the point where I felt that I was personally influencing the outcome of the match, rather than winning or losing being determined by random matchmaker luck, and it's also the point where I started to consistently win more than I lost on average.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

That UI isn't very good. Clicking into a section, then clicking on the only usable thing in that section to perform an action is a pretty terrible design. Skewmorphism might let you make things pretty, but you need to curtail it becoming the reason for a UI to exist.

I do love that the mechlab abandons any sort of crit based loadout system, going closer to MW4's 'slot' system to control what type of loadouts are possible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's flavoursome rather than efficient, for sure.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

EoRaptor posted:

That UI isn't very good. Clicking into a section, then clicking on the only usable thing in that section to perform an action is a pretty terrible design. Skewmorphism might let you make things pretty, but you need to curtail it becoming the reason for a UI to exist.

I do love that the mechlab abandons any sort of crit based loadout system, going closer to MW4's 'slot' system to control what type of loadouts are possible.

gently caress clicking people and objects in a scene to get anything done. just give me a menu ffs

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Are those straight up the untextured models from mwo? They look awfully similar.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Coolwhoami posted:

Are those straight up the untextured models from mwo? They look awfully similar.

Yes, PGI gave them the models.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Stringbean posted:

It's a gauge for new players or a more casual player to assess their contribution. It's not a hard metric but it's something you can look at and think about - but as you get more skilled, start focus firing on weak points (the target info gathering mod whatever it's called helps for this), and perhaps shoot where the yellboss calls you'll maybe see a plateau in damage but an increase in kills.

It's a soft metric.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It's a soft metric.

It's nice because it gives me something to get mad about at the match-score screen in my pub games.

"Two timber wolves and a Strom crow were chasing my light for the majority of the match after I cored out the rear end of a catapult, so why did we lose 12-3 --oh, our assault lance did 200 damage combined, I am starting to understand."

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Totally; and that's where it shines as a point of reference.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think in my very first ever match in MWO, in an old bad champion trebuchet, I did around 70 damage and got a kill.

I didn't know any of the maps at the time and I played like I was in Mechwarrior 2.

So when people are new, fair enough. It's when people have a cockpit full of bling (so you know they've been around for a while) and they play like they're blind and arthritic it gets to me.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

They putting LRM20 in an Atlas, wont buy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bracket build, bracket build, BRACKET BUILD *foams at mouth* :byodood:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Atlas Pilot: "It helps me output more damage as I close in!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Unlike MWO, LRMs will hit as soon as you launch them, and damage is probably going to random locations. Also, none of these mechs will have double heat sinks, so you wouldn't be able to fire most mech's arsenals. Now, I have no idea how the game is going to work, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have a proper heat scale, and discrete mech speeds. Granted, they've said that they won't be a slave to tabletop mechanics, but I still think that most of the core systems will be in place in some sort of recognizable format.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
In TT, if you stripped the LRM off an Atlas and replaced it with SRM like in MWO, there are several 3025 'mechs that would just sit at 10 or more hexes and happily destroy the slow as poo poo Atlas without the poor thing even being able to touch you. A typical non-bracket Atlas build would get wrecked on anything except an urban or heavy woods map.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

TT is a different world

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Which means that LRMs work and that [bracket builds] have value.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Also if you're a light and you pull half the team to kill you, you still did your job if you only did 30 damage. Especially if you have UAVs up.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/706953761298624512

cc: A o D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

TT is a different world

A good number of the stock builds in TT were actaully good/decent, though there were also a lot of incredibly dumb builds (Kurita).

• Locked thread